Hot Sauces and Hot Foods

tangy

This is the thread that will give you jalaproctitis!

I have tried many hot sauces and my favorite is likely considered boring by many but I think Franks is my fave. Really more flavor than heat, i can drink this stuff straight but love it.

Tabasco is probably two and Melindas is at three.

My favorite pepper is the New Mexico Chile followed by Habaneros.

I like to grow peppers too and typically grow habbies, hot bananas AKA hungarian wax peppers, cherry peppers and cayenne.

Edited by tangy
  • Like 1

I love chipotle salad dressing.

I went to the farmer's market in Raleigh and bought some hot sauce (can't remember the name offhand) that was so good with chicken. Very hot and tangy and made by a farmer in the area.

I love spice although my digestive system doesn't.

I've heard that spice can be addictive. You get to a point that you can't go without it on food.

• Like 1

All I know is that I love Indian, Thai, and Mexican food, and I order my food spicy....none of this "shall we prepare it mild for you?" nonsense!

Come to think of it, the women of the above countries look quite edible too, but I settled on a particular Philippina many years ago. wink.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 5 2011, 08:57 PM)
i haven't had it in a while but like tom yum goong soup. nice and spicy but i only eat it in the winter. i'm sure there are amazing hot sauces out there but i love franks. a little heat but nothing too crazy.

I LOVE Tom Yum Goong soup! Great when you have a cold.

I love spicy foods -- often it doesn't matter what the kind of food is, if it's got a kick it's good for me. Of course the heat's not that hot in the midwest (probably the only people I know that can handle spice like I can have ancestry south of the border) so I'd love to go down south and get the real heat.

I'm a big fan of salsas. All kinds of salsa. Any combination. From mildly hot to mouth-on-fire burning. The only kind of spice I'm not a big fan of is straight-up hot sauce. I just think it tastes kind of gross, and it's not that spicy either. Hot wings made with hot sauce aren't that good either, imo, but that's because I prefer a BBQ base. yes.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 5 2011, 11:06 PM)
Mexican food is definitely up there, but I'm talking real Mexican food,

laugh.gif

Taco Bell ain't good enough for ya?

(Kidding, kidding -- TB is about as American as they get.)

No, I agree, the real stuff is always better. I wouldn't go to Paris to get a steak, but I wouldn't stay here for French Onion Soup.

And in the case of spicy food, it's usually hotter too!

Tapatio is a fave in our house. I use it often when cooking.

Some dummy at work borrowed some Dave's Insanity Sauce and poured it on his sandwich like taco sauce. He was in pain for a couple of days.

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Apr 6 2011, 12:09 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 5 2011, 11:06 PM)
Mexican food is definitely up there, but I'm talking real Mexican food,

laugh.gif

Taco Bell ain't good enough for ya?

(Kidding, kidding -- TB is about as American as they get.)

AND it's 88% real beef!

Love spicy food - love it.

My favorite "hot sauce" is Cholula - it's got great flavor. I cannot stand tabasco at all - all vinegar, not enough heat.

I also have about 5 different kinds of Dave's Insanity sauce. A few drops of their ghost pepper sauce (or extract more appropriately) is all I need in chili. I also have Dave's regular old insanity sauce, ultimate insanity, temporary insanity and total insanity.

There's a chinese restaurant near home that offers some of their dishes "regular, hot or Xtra hot". I ordered one Xtra hot, and I didn't find it hot at all. Next time I went in there - I asked them for real Xtra hot, not the Americanized version of Xtra hot... wow, that was hot then smile.gif Everytime I go in there now, they know just how hot to make it!

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Apr 5 2011, 11:46 PM)
Tapatio is a fave in our house. I use it often when cooking.

Some dummy at work borrowed some Dave's Insanity Sauce and poured it on his sandwich like taco sauce. He was in pain for a couple of days.
rofl3.gif

tongue.gif

I love Tapatio too.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 6 2011, 08:33 AM)
Love spicy food - love it.

My favorite "hot sauce" is Cholula - it's got great flavor. I cannot stand tabasco at all - all vinegar, not enough heat.

I also have about 5 different kinds of Dave's Insanity sauce. A few drops of their ghost pepper sauce (or extract more appropriately) is all I need in chili. I also have Dave's regular old insanity sauce, ultimate insanity, temporary insanity and total insanity.

There's a chinese restaurant near home that offers some of their dishes "regular, hot or Xtra hot". I ordered one Xtra hot, and I didn't find it hot at all. Next time I went in there - I asked them for real Xtra hot, not the Americanized version of Xtra hot... wow, that was hot then smile.gif Everytime I go in there now, they know just how hot to make it!

I got a bottle of Cholula going right now. very tasty indeed.

I used to do the Dave's Insanity Sauce back in my wilder days. laugh.gif

One Christmas, my mother bought me a bottle of Dave's Special Reserve. The stuff came in a small wooden box with caution tape all over it. The stuff was wicked. I'd put one drop in a bowl of chili, and I couldn't eat it.

I remember when we last moved, a couple of the movers were Mexican. I ordered them all pizza for lunch, and they asked if I had any hot sauce. I told them that I did, but that it was awful hot, and they my not like it. They laughed at me, so I gave them the Dave's. One dude wouldn't use it after one bite, but the other guy had something to prove, and he used it on all of the pizza he ate, but he was sweating more than a fan man running in a marathon in July. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 6 2011, 12:38 PM)

I used to do the Dave's Insanity Sauce back in my wilder days. laugh.gif

One Christmas, my mother bought me a bottle of Dave's Special Reserve. The stuff came in a small wooden box with caution tape all over it. The stuff was wicked. I'd put one drop in a bowl of chili, and I couldn't eat it.

I remember when we last moved, a couple of the movers were Mexican. I ordered them all pizza for lunch, and they asked if I had any hot sauce. I told them that I did, but that it was awful hot, and they my not like it. They laughed at me, so I gave them the Dave's. One dude wouldn't use it after one bite, but the other guy had something to prove, and he used it on all of the pizza he ate, but he was sweating more than a fan man running in a marathon in July. laugh.gif

yeah, at a point it becomes ridiculous. i overdid it once a Blairs product. the hot sauce market is oversaturated.

i cook mostly with fresh or frozen peppers.

I like Siracha because it has some garlic in it which makes it awesome when it comes to stir fry or Pho (Vietnamese Noodle soup). I also like tabasco because it reminds me of Louisiana Creole cuisine which I happen to like a whole lot especially red beans and rice.
  • Like 1

I have a few hot sauces since each pepper has its own heat and flavor component.

My 3 basics are Frank's, Choula, and Tabasco Jalapeño. I also use Walkers Wood Jerk Seasoning, which has a nice dose of Scotch Bonnets. Ground Cayenne and red pepper flakes get a lot of use.

Aside from the barbecue sauce I use Newman's Own salsa, medium because Mrs. Bear doesn't like things too heated. I mix a lot of green chilies into bean dips and on a botana (layered dish of tortilla chips, seasoned ground beef, refries, chilies, and cheese).

Last weekend the Lucky's Market I frequent had a deli turkey infused with smoked Hatch peppers, just a touch of heat and a nice smoky flavor. Bought a pound, and the wife and I have been scarfing it down.

Not too long ago I moved to Winston-Salem, from Iowa and if there is one Hot Sauce that I see throughout the city it is Texas Pete, which I enjoy their hotter version, especially if I am having scrambled eggs in the morning.