Grilling - how do you do it?

What kind o' grill you b using?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What kind o' grill you b using?

• Charcoal
    • Gas
    • Wood burning pit

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Mar 30 2011, 11:06 PM)
Someone mentioned cooking on planks - all I can say is this is amazing and I usually do it about once a week with fish (in the summertime I go to a local seafood place and get some fantastic fresh fish that works great on the grill when planked - salmon, tuna, rainbow trout, red snapper, halibut, etc) Steven Raichlen's Barbeque Bible is a fantastic source for all kinds of wonderful ideas for grilling. And his products are the best Ive bought for outdoor cooking.

Planks are cool but I prefer to use banana leaves for this purpose. Hell of a lot cheaper for me since i grow my own. i cook both sides of the fish briefly over direct heat then place fish upon a lemon slice upon a banana leaf and finish it with indirect heat.

I agree that Raichlen books are a great resource, i own two of the bible series. I recommend the most basic book of his " sauces, rubs and marinades" as the book to start with him.

Raichlen is an authority on the subject but another guy that i consider as knowledgeable as Raichlen is Meathead.

Check out meatheads free site for recipes, reviews etc etc. The picture of the lady next to the grill on the front page is too funny!!

http://amazingribs.com/

ignition has occurred.

what kind of charcoal do you burn? cool10.gif

the cheapest? lump or briquet?

I using Stubbs and have been recently. Its supposedly all natural and the same price as kingsford.

I prefer briquet because they seem to burn longer and its easier to control the temperature with them.

grill on! tonight its the lamest of lame in my book. skinless, boneless chicken breasts. cook it if you got it though......

bs chicken breast can be ok if marinated correctly.... hell, even if just slapping BBQ sauce on it - you should at least brine it to lock in some moisture.

Made ribs this weekend. I always make them 1 of 2 ways, and they always turn out terrific....

First I cover with a dry rub and let that sit in the fridge for at least an hour. Then, depending on the weather...

when temp below 60: I braise them in the oven. Wrap in HD foil and seal 3 sides (lay ribs in middle, wrap edges around the ribs and roll down to seal. Roll up one end, leaving other end open.) In open end, pour 1/2 cup each apple cider vinegar and apple cider. Cook at 225 for 2.5-3 hours. Drain liquid and let cool. Fire up the grill and slap on the BBQ sauce.

When temp above 60: Throw them in the smoker and forget about them for 4-6 hours. Then slap on the BBQ smile.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 4 2011, 03:49 PM)
bs chicken breast can be ok if marinated correctly.... hell, even if just slapping BBQ sauce on it - you should at least brine it to lock in some moisture.

Made ribs this weekend. I always make them 1 of 2 ways, and they always turn out terrific....

First I cover with a dry rub and let that sit in the fridge for at least an hour. Then, depending on the weather...

when temp below 60: I braise them in the oven. Wrap in HD foil and seal 3 sides (lay ribs in middle, wrap edges around the ribs and roll down to seal. Roll up one end, leaving other end open.) In open end, pour 1/2 cup each apple cider vinegar and apple cider. Cook at 225 for 2.5-3 hours. Drain liquid and let cool. Fire up the grill and slap on the BBQ sauce.

When temp above 60: Throw them in the smoker and forget about them for 4-6 hours. Then slap on the BBQ smile.gif

trink39.gif words of wisdom.

I am just bitching a little because i prefer bone in either whole bird or whole bird cut up. i know what to do, i just consider them a little boring.

anyways oak and apple smoldering, just got a wild hair and decided to throw down some tofu next to the bird.

tangy & Lost -

yeah nothing wrong with a little chicken breast on the grill provided you do a little something with it. the thing with the boneless chicken breasts is they tend to puff up and have little weight to them when the meat dries out even just alittle, making them prone to being overly dry before very long. brining is good, of course, but two things I do to avoid this is the use of a press, or skewers.

Lets say you want to go with a real simple greek style souvlaki marinade - easiest thing to do and you dont need much to make chicken that tastes like authentic souvlaki. Zest a lemon with a zester, add the juice of one whole lemon to a mixing bowl, add kosher salt, 2 tbs of dried oregano, 1/4 olive oil and a lot of minced garlic and a dash of cumin. Mix and marinate for about an hour.

Now, if you want to use the press, heat the grill (and the press) on the grill medium high. Use a high temp glove to habdle the cast iron press of course. Remove chicken from marinade lay on grill and put press on one side for about 3-4 minutes and then promptly flip and press on other side. Chicken will not dry out, and will have amazing grill marks.

With the skewer method (my fave) you simply cut the chicken into 1" wide long strips and thread onto skewers afetr u remove from marinade. baste frequently while skewers are on grill and rotate constantly

The skewer method will render chicken that is simply amazing and identical to greek souvlaki. Serve with rice, chilis, tatziki or whatever you want and its really phenomenal

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 4 2011, 03:49 PM)

btw this method in the oven reminds me very much of Alton Browns 'ribs in the oven' method and comes out great. a little acidity, a little sweetness, and the full benefit of steam to make them super tender

Nice!

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Apr 9 2011, 06:34 PM)
CalFlame 5-burner gas grill in outdoor kitchen/bar

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb305/EveryNerveAware/RUSH/DSC03317.jpg

That is COOL! I'll be right over. laugh.gif

I have a gas grill. I really prefer charcoal, though. I cleaned the monster today to get it ready for the Spring/Summer grill-a-thon. That is a NASTY chore! But, I'll grill anything grillable during the warm months.

Oh... and that is one SWELL apron you have there. smile.gif

Edited by sullysue

QUOTE (Cygnals @ Apr 9 2011, 08:23 PM)
Gas grill for me, but during the winter I use a reversible cast iron grill plate on the stove.

I have a cast iron grill pan I use when it's cold outside. I love that thing. But, what a bitch it is to clean and still keep it seasoned.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 9 2011, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnals @ Apr 9 2011, 08:23 PM)
Gas grill for me, but during the winter I use a reversible cast iron grill plate on the stove.

I have a cast iron grill pan I use when it's cold outside. I love that thing. But, what a bitch it is to clean and still keep it seasoned.

i love cast iron. the more you use it the better it gets.

Current method for 1 year now is a propane grill. I inherited my parents old propane grill. Up until a year ago I was grilling on a trusty Weber kettle charcoal grill or my mini Weber charcoal grill.

Once upon a time I had a Green Egg. That was an awesome charcoal grill/smoker.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb305/EveryNerveAware/RUSH/DSC03317.jpg

ok! You are designated head grilling Chef @ the next TRF cookout!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Apr 10 2011, 01:45 PM)

ok! You are designated head grilling Chef @ the next TRF cookout!! biggrin.gif

It would be my pleasure... I'm sure it would be a blast! Ya'll would have to come down to Tampa though.

Also have a Cook-N-Dine circular griddle built into the granite countertop corner behind me in the picture. Cook-N-Dine

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Apr 10 2011, 06:52 PM)
Under a Grill.

I think it works better if you put the food on the grill, not under it. wink.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 10 2011, 11:17 PM)
QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Apr 10 2011, 06:52 PM)
Under a Grill.

I think it works better if you put the food on the grill, not under it. wink.gif

I know full well what I mean smile.gif

Hence the joke: Where do Monkeys do their toast? Under a Gorilla.

I posted this in the recipe thread but thought it might do some good over here too.. It is my recipe, well my dad's recipe, for a great grilling sauce or Sop...

This is a cooking/basting sauce recipe, good on Pork, Beef, and Chicken... not really a sauce for dipping after the food is cooked... the sauce will be thin, so a grilling mop works better than a brush..

Ingredients

- 1 whole white onion minced

- 1 Tablespoon of Minced Garlic

- 1 Teaspoon of Bacon Grease

- 1 stick of Butter or Margarine

- 1 Cup of Italian Salad Dressing

- 1/4 cup of plain white vinegar

- 1/4 Cup of Worcestershire sauce

- 1/4 Cup of A1 Steak Sauce

- 1/2 Cup of Kraft BBQ sauce

- 2 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice

- 1 Cup of Beer (Bock Beer works the Best) (alterable due to what you're cooking)

- 1 teaspoon of Garlic Power

- 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper

- 1 teaspoon of McCormick BBQ seasoning (or whatever your favorite BBQ seasoning is)

Instructions

In a saucepot saute onions and fresh garlic in your bacon grease until caramelized....Add your stick of butter until it melts... Add all other ingredients and allow to cook down (and reduce slightly) for about 20 minutes... use this concoction on your meat as it cooks... baste to preference, I baste on every turn, but it does not overpower the meat..

- Levels of Beer or Water are adjustable due to what you're cooking, if you are cooking a brisket for 12 hours you might want a little bit more beer or water than what is recommended. If you are quick cooking some steaks, or chicken breasts you do not need as much..... basically the longer you are cooking for the thinner (via more liquid) the sauce needs to be...

Gas 17, Charcoal 6

What the f**k is wrong with you people?! Gas is good for burgers, and hot dogs I guess... but anything other than that... you have to go charcoal or wood

I live in Texas, and Gas is pretty much punishable by law down here.. tongue.gif

Edited by The Owl