Grilling - how do you do it?

What kind o' grill you b using?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What kind o' grill you b using?

• Charcoal
    • Gas
    • Wood burning pit

Now, I have a smoker, which I use often, but this is about which kind of grill you use, and any special setup you want to mention.

Me, I'm charcoal all the way, currently on my 3rd Weber grill. I have a charcoal chimney that I use to start the coals, no lighter fluid or anything needed.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Mar 29 2011, 11:40 AM)
The only person who has any business answering in this thread is Pass the Ammunition.

He is, after all, the God of Meat.

seriously...ask anyone

burger2.gif hotdog.gif burger2.gif

He may be the "God of Meat" - but a lot of people grill. I am an exceptional grill master. I grill just about everything once the weather warms up.... meat, chicken, pork, fish, veggies, potatoes, fruit...

I hate living in an apartment... before I live where I currently live, I had a decent sized pit... and if I wanted I could push the coals over to one side, and have the meat on the other and smoke the hell out of some Ribs, Chicken, or even a Brisket...

But all I have now living in an apartment is a 15" weber grill........ IT SUCKS!

using a smoker is the tastiest way to eat meat but i don't have one and a good one isn't cheap.

"Before the meat even touches the grill you have to get the bricks lit. When charcoal is burned, it produces hydrocarbons as well as little particles of soot that float through the air, making it an air pollutant. While you're standing there dutifully watching your meat as it chars on the grill, you're also inhaling those soot particles, which makes you susceptible to lung irritation as well as heart ailments.

Fat that drips down from the meat lands on the charcoal forming two potentially dangerous chemical compounds: heterocyclic amines (HCAs), and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). These two compounds rise along with the smoke and get deposited directly onto the meat, which in turn you eat, exposing your body to HCAs and PAHs. High amounts of these chemicals in the body have been linked to a variety of cancers, including colorectal, pancreatic, and breast cancer."

gas grill is healthier. tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 29 2011, 06:34 PM)
i'd like to try those hickory or mesquite planks they sell. soak them in water for a few hours than lay them on the grill and cook some salmon right on the wood. trink38.gif

My brother's brother in law does that. I've had it once with fresh caught salmon from Lake Michigan. It was pretty damn good.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Mar 29 2011, 11:40 PM)
Nude

That's OK for grilling, but don't ever cook bacon nude. One good grease splatter will ruin your whole day.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Mar 29 2011, 01:40 PM)
The only person who has any business answering in this thread is Pass the Ammunition.

He is, after all, the God of Meat.

seriously...ask anyone

burger2.gif hotdog.gif burger2.gif

Oh my child, believe me when I tell you...I can grill. cool10.gif

but I do love PTA's meat! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 29 2011, 12:36 PM)
Me, I'm charcoal all the way, currently on my 3rd Weber grill. I have a charcoal chimney that I use to start the coals, no lighter fluid or anything needed.

Same here...went back to charcoal a couple years ago.

Weber kettle and the chimney.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 29 2011, 11:36 AM)

right on except i am in my second weber.

i use mostly charcoal with oak, hickory or apple as flavoring although i have cooked over all wood fires too. i get the wood from yard and have access to cherry wood too.

This winter I have been doing mostly indirect cooking over a pan of hot water. kind of a set it and forget kind of deal. 2 hours later and you are good to go.

I have done longer cooks say 5 to 6 hours for brisket and pork butt.

I grill my meats prior to adding them to soup, in particular my green chile with apple smoked pork chops is the kind.

The point you raised about the chimney is key. If you use lighter fluid you are making a huge mistake IMO.

How do you answer "All 3"?

Different setups depending upon what is being grilled, and quite honestly, what sort of time I have. For me, it also depends upon what sort of experience I'm interested in at the moment. There are days that are quite simply 'Grillin' Days' where you want to be outside and tending to either a wood or charcoal kettle, smoker, or maybe even roasting something on the rotisserie using the gas grill. Theres no right or wrong way to do it if it makes you happy - all you have to do is love food and trying new things.

Don't be afraid to try new things and new methods. Buy some books, theres lots of great ones out there. Join a barbeque forum or two, and ask people who are enthusiasts for opinions and feedback, you'll be surprised how into it and helpful people are.

Before I went out and purchased my latest grill, thats just what i did - I talked to some moderators on a few forums, and did some research. Same with my smoker and kettle. Theres nothing wrong with a small, inexpensive kettle grill and you don't have to spend thousands to make delicious food on gas, charcoal or wood.

Personally, I love Webers. My latest Weber is used 3 nights a week (easily) and everything from pizza to seafood to vegetables gets cooked on it. Heck, I even did a whole corned beef and cabbage meal out there for St Patty's (great if you don't want to stink up the house!). And how about rotisserie-cooking the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill? Why not? Comes out amazing if you brine it. Seafood / crab boils, lobster, steaks... Oddly enough, very rarely burgers and dogs... unless its for the kids.

Ive only been smoking for about two years now. Bought a Weber smoker there as well - and its fantastic. A nice sunny Saturday with a couple few 5 hours to kill? How about smoking a few racks of baby back ribs...one of my personal favorites.

I think a lot of people get the misconception that if youre grilling a lot, you're eating way too much red meat, etc. But the coolest thing about the versatility of a grill (even if it doesnt have side burners) is how many different types of food you can cook, eat healthy, and it couldnt be fresher or more delicious. Someone mentioned cooking on planks - all I can say is this is amazing and I usually do it about once a week with fish (in the summertime I go to a local seafood place and get some fantastic fresh fish that works great on the grill when planked - salmon, tuna, rainbow trout, red snapper, halibut, etc) Steven Raichlen's Barbeque Bible is a fantastic source for all kinds of wonderful ideas for grilling. And his products are the best Ive bought for outdoor cooking. I highly recommend just doing some research before buying any substantial grilling equipment as there are major differences in quality between the types of stuff typically sold in superstores and Ive gotten stuck with some real crap in the past.

You want to take care of your grill or smoker as well if you want it to last. A decent grill that is maintained can last more than 10 years. My last Weber lasted 12. Thats longer than most marriages. :-)

Man, now I'm hungry. eh.gif

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Mar 31 2011, 12:06 AM)
How do you answer "All 3"?

Different setups depending upon what is being grilled, and quite honestly, what sort of time I have. For me, it also depends upon what sort of experience I'm interested in at the moment. There are days that are quite simply 'Grillin' Days' where you want to be outside and tending to either a wood or charcoal kettle, smoker, or maybe even roasting something on the rotisserie using the gas grill. Theres no right or wrong way to do it if it makes you happy - all you have to do is love food and trying new things.

Don't be afraid to try new things and new methods. Buy some books, theres lots of great ones out there. Join a barbeque forum or two, and ask people who are enthusiasts for opinions and feedback, you'll be surprised how into it and helpful people are.

Before I went out and purchased my latest grill, thats just what i did - I talked to some moderators on a few forums, and did some research. Same with my smoker and kettle. Theres nothing wrong with a small, inexpensive kettle grill and you don't have to spend thousands to make delicious food on gas, charcoal or wood.

Personally, I love Webers. My latest Weber is used 3 nights a week (easily) and everything from pizza to seafood to vegetables gets cooked on it. Heck, I even did a whole corned beef and cabbage meal out there for St Patty's (great if you don't want to stink up the house!). And how about rotisserie-cooking the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill? Why not? Comes out amazing if you brine it. Seafood / crab boils, lobster, steaks... Oddly enough, very rarely burgers and dogs... unless its for the kids.

Ive only been smoking for about two years now. Bought a Weber smoker there as well - and its fantastic. A nice sunny Saturday with a couple few 5 hours to kill? How about smoking a few racks of baby back ribs...one of my personal favorites.

I think a lot of people get the misconception that if youre grilling a lot, you're eating way too much red meat, etc. But the coolest thing about the versatility of a grill (even if it doesnt have side burners) is how many different types of food you can cook, eat healthy, and it couldnt be fresher or more delicious. Someone mentioned cooking on planks - all I can say is this is amazing and I usually do it about once a week with fish (in the summertime I go to a local seafood place and get some fantastic fresh fish that works great on the grill when planked - salmon, tuna, rainbow trout, red snapper, halibut, etc) Steven Raichlen's Barbeque Bible is a fantastic source for all kinds of wonderful ideas for grilling. And his products are the best Ive bought for outdoor cooking. I highly recommend just doing some research before buying any substantial grilling equipment as there are major differences in quality between the types of stuff typically sold in superstores and Ive gotten stuck with some real crap in the past.

You want to take care of your grill or smoker as well if you want it to last. A decent grill that is maintained can last more than 10 years. My last Weber lasted 12. Thats longer than most marriages. :-)

Man, now I'm hungry. eh.gif

How did PTA earn his member title, you ask? wink.gif

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Mar 30 2011, 11:06 PM)

My current Weber is 9 years old, and I have no plans on replacing it. Hell, the ignitor still works on the first push! laugh.gif