Geddy's Aging voice

Digitallware

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Mar 26 2011, 03:20 PM)
You see, this is the problem with the internet and particularly, Youtube.

This is a recording, from somebody's cheap camera phone, situated (by the looks of the angle) not far from the right speaker column.

Not so long ago proper board mixes were dismissed as being non representative of live performances as they were not capturing what the audience was hearing, due to the fact that balances were presenting vocals much louder in the board mix in order to compensate for the ambient volume of the backline.

NOW, we have people listening to dreadful audio recordings captured via tiny phone and digital camera mics, via Youtube... another dodgy audio medium and passing judgement.

Here's the situation folks:

Small mics compress sound to the point that the loudest aspect of any recording will appear to be flat to the human ear. Don't believe me, try it out yourselves...

Get your phone or your little digital camera out and hum a note. Hum it louder (I mean LOUDER) and hear the pitch changes. Now, add in some ambient noise. Can you hear how the pitch of the hum changes further?

I'm not saying that Geddy is pitch perfect, but to judge a vocal performance on a very dodgy recording and comment that Geddy has lost his voice and that one was "Crying" is absolutely pathetic, albeit fairly typical of the "Youtube generation"

It would appear that the lyrics to "Virtuality" were highly prophetic...

THANK YOU!

You made every point I wanted to. Glad I read the whole thread wink.gif

This was the last show of the tour on a cold night.

A few vocal huccups can be easily forgiven considering the overall consistancy of his performances. He has a great live voice.

He actually used to mess up alot more, particularly from the HYF - CP period.

His vocals actally sound better today.

I posted my opinion about this in another thread, and will do it again here even though I know it's an exercise in utter futility:

Although there are certain older songs, Red Barchetta among them, on which Geddy struggles to compensate for the loss of range, for the most part I absolutely love the way he sings now. I like the lower register, and I love his phrasing. There are songs from the last couple of tours for which the vocal performances are among my very favourites. The fact that he doesn't sing the way that he used to doesn't mean that he doesn't still sing well.

I think that recent criticism regarding Geddy's voice has more to do with him no longer being able to sing the way people expect him to sing than it does with him no longer being a good singer.

Again, just my two cents worth, but Geddy is singing incredibly well. In fact, I would not have thought to question his vox but due to the OP.

After a (pointless) check. All is well in Rush Land...

I'm very much looking forward to the Dublin show!

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Mar 28 2011, 03:23 PM)
I posted my opinion about this in another thread, and will do it again here even though I know it's an exercise in utter futility:

Although there are certain older songs, Red Barchetta among them, on which Geddy struggles to compensate for the loss of range, for the most part I absolutely love the way he sings now. I like the lower register, and I love his phrasing. There are songs from the last couple of tours for which the vocal performances are among my very favourites. The fact that he doesn't sing the way that he used to doesn't mean that he doesn't still sing well.

I think that recent criticism regarding Geddy's voice has more to do with him no longer being able to sing the way people expect him to sing than it does with him no longer being a good singer.

I guess it comes down to, how long do they keep going with him not being able to sing anything like what he used to. When does it hit that point that the performance suffers enough that they're not representing themselves well anymore? I would argue that perhaps we've already hit that point judging by the last couple of DVD's and Geddy either struggling to sing songs and/or not fully enunciating the lyrics.

QUOTE (jmac @ Mar 28 2011, 08:37 AM)
If you think Geddy's voice is failing, check out this video of Freewill at the Minnesota state fair at 4:13. Great as it ever was smile.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRcV955WiTA

Were you being sarcastic in using this video as an example of great vocals?

I mean, there are some decent moments, but some of it was bad, and some of it was really bad. unsure.gif sad.gif

He definitely has his shit days, but that's the way the cookies crumbles for the older guys. When I saw them twice last year he only had like two bad moments in total though!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 28 2011, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (jmac @ Mar 28 2011, 08:37 AM)
If you think Geddy's voice is failing, check out this video of Freewill at the Minnesota state fair at 4:13.  Great as it ever was smile.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRcV955WiTA

Were you being sarcastic in using this video as an example of great vocals?

I mean, there are some decent moments, but some of it was bad, and some of it was really bad. unsure.gif sad.gif

How is any of that bad????

There is an expectation of Geddy to sound like he did durin g the moving pictures tour - and anything other then that is crap.

He has a few shakey moments just like any artist - but nothing to the degree that you are suggessting. The last few DVDs find him in terrific voice and perfectly representing their catalogue save for the 70s stuff - and who expects hium to sound like that anyway.The Snakes and Arrows DVD is an amazing vocal performance.

The bottom line is - the level of perfection some fans expect from him as a vocalist only goes to show what high regard and expectations Rush fans have for the band.

I applaud the Band for even attempting to meet them in 2011

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 28 2011, 10:35 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Mar 28 2011, 03:23 PM)

Although there are certain older songs, Red Barchetta among them, on which Geddy struggles to compensate for the loss of range, for the most part I absolutely love the way he sings now.  I like the lower register, and I love his phrasing.  There are songs from the last couple of tours for which the vocal performances are among my very favourites.  The fact that he doesn't sing the way that he used to doesn't mean that he doesn't still sing well. 

I guess it comes down to, how long do they keep going with him not being able to sing anything like what he used to. When does it hit that point that the performance suffers enough that they're not representing themselves well anymore? I would argue that perhaps we've already hit that point judging by the last couple of DVD's and Geddy either struggling to sing songs and/or not fully enunciating the lyrics.

You are missing my point. My point is that his vocal performance being DIFFERENT from how it used to be doesn't mean it's BAD, or, to use your word, "suffering."

I disagree utterly that he no longer represents Rush well. Again, I don't think that different equates to worthless, and apparently there are plenty of people who agree with me. I get that you find the change unbearable and that you'd prefer that the people who love Rush as they are now be deprived of their wonderful live performances than have people loving a Rush that you don't approve of, but you should really consider accepting it and moving on.

• Like 1

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Mar 25 2011, 05:09 PM)
The man is in his fifties and considering what his voice has been through he sounds pretty damn good. I hope I'm as good at my job at his age. I've been lucky enough to never see him on bad night.

Yeah I have to give Geddy a lot of credit, at half his age I'm just trying my hand at bass after being with guitar for more than a decade. I can't sing and play with bass at all right now. I'm still learning but it's tough doing both at the same time. And of course I can't sing anywhere near Geddy, but at shows I'm usually screaming my lungs out.

I also have to agree withe comment of how Red Barchetta seems to not be Geddy's strong point, after seeing them last year on a "3 pack" of shows; Columbus thru Syracuse, by Syracuse Geddy wasn't getting up as high as Columbus. The energy at Syracuse really helped out the band a lot I think. I also have to wonder about the temperature, humidity. It was hot as heck for both state fair shows. Closer to the beginning of the tour in Sarnia I thought he was in great shape vocals-wise.

QUOTE (1974FAN @ Mar 25 2011, 01:05 PM)
Depending on how he takes care of his voice, he could have up to another 10 years of quality vocals. If you contrast that to the opera world, tenors start going downhill at about 65; baritones about 70; basses about 72-75.

Based on how they tour and days of rest between shows, he should do well. These guys know their limits. One of the key factors of being a professional musician.

Personally, I can't wait until 2014 for the R40 Tour.

R40 Overture:
In The Mood
Fly By Night
Lakeside Park
Something For Nothing
A Farewell To Kings
Circumstances
Leading into Freewill

How's that for starting off the show?!

Yeah Pavarotti was just shit in his 70's wasn't he! dazed025.gif

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Mar 26 2011, 05:20 PM)
You see, this is the problem with the internet and particularly, Youtube.

This is a recording, from somebody's cheap camera phone, situated (by the looks of the angle) not far from the right speaker column.

Not so long ago proper board mixes were dismissed as being non representative of live performances as they were not capturing what the audience was hearing, due to the fact that balances were presenting vocals much louder in the board mix in order to compensate for the ambient volume of the backline.

NOW, we have people listening to dreadful audio recordings captured via tiny phone and digital camera mics, via Youtube... another dodgy audio medium and passing judgement.

Here's the situation folks:

Small mics compress sound to the point that the loudest aspect of any recording will appear to be flat to the human ear. Don't believe me, try it out yourselves...

Get your phone or your little digital camera out and hum a note. Hum it louder (I mean LOUDER) and hear the pitch changes. Now, add in some ambient noise. Can you hear how the pitch of the hum changes further?

I'm not saying that Geddy is pitch perfect, but to judge a vocal performance on a very dodgy recording and comment that Geddy has lost his voice and that one was "Crying" is absolutely pathetic, albeit fairly typical of the "Youtube generation"

It would appear that the lyrics to "Virtuality" were highly prophetic...

absolutely spot on. thank you.

Bassist Fred Turner from 'Bachman-Turner Overdrive' who is touring with Randy Bachman as 'Bachman-Turner' now can still hit the notes like the 70's and retain the grit of his voice and he is 67 years of age.

I am not putting Geddy down, but I am sure Fred can offer Geddy some advice on the vocals.

Edited by RushFanForever

Everybody has a bad night. It happens.

The guy is in his 50's. Was a cigarette smoker. That's very unkind on your voice. I have a friend who just turned 52 and has been fighting the cig addiction... he used to pride himself for his Styx-like vocals. Plus, your voice usually deepens with age. I know mine has, and I'm 44.

Geddy has done well keeping his signature sound. I can't knock the guy for a slip-up or down tuning a song to compensate.

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Mar 30 2011, 10:37 AM)
QUOTE (1974FAN @ Mar 25 2011, 01:05 PM)
Depending on how he takes care of his voice, he could have up to another 10 years of quality vocals.  If you contrast that to the opera world, tenors start going downhill at about 65; baritones about 70; basses about 72-75.

Based on how they tour and days of rest between shows, he should do well.  These guys know their limits.  One of the key factors of being a professional musician. 

Personally, I can't wait until 2014 for the R40 Tour.

R40 Overture:
In The Mood
Fly By Night
Lakeside Park
Something For Nothing
A Farewell To Kings
Circumstances
Leading into Freewill

How's that for starting off the show?!

Yeah Pavarotti was just shit in his 70's wasn't he! dazed025.gif

Pavarotti was always shit wink.gif