Neil's Bookshelf

The Notorious B.S.G.

Wow...now THIS is supercool! Excellent job gathering together these resources, BSG.

You are hereby awarded a little Neil...and the ones posted by his biggest fan are just a tad more fabulous, sayin'? icon_really_happy_guy.gif

NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 18 2004, 11:14 AM)
Wow...now THIS is supercool!  Excellent job gathering together these resources, BSG.

You are hereby awarded a little Neil...and the ones posted by his biggest fan are just a tad more fabulous, sayin'?  icon_really_happy_guy.gif

NeilFinal.gif

Hearin'. Yes, I suppose they are more fabulous. So, who's this "biggest fan" you're talking about? confused13.gif pokey.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Gotta keep my post totals up here folks! I'm being dogged on the Top 10 list by... well Snowdog and a newly-electrified GG! biggrin.gif (Wow! That just sounds so FUNKY!) laugh.gif

Love this poem...hearing "Xanadu" and realizing that these guys knew Coleridge...

I was mighty impressed...that was the summer of 1992...

I've done a bit of reading about Edward Abbey, the "desert anarchist" whose work (Desert Solitaire, The Monkey Wrench Gang) Neil mentions frequently in Ghost Rider...here's a quote from Abbey that made me realize why Neil loved his work so much:

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." ~Edward Abbey

EDIT: had to add this quote from Desert Solitaire which I think I need to buy a copy of (after falling in love with the Mohave and Death Valley, thanks RR wub.gif)

"A weird, lovely, fantastic object out of nature like Delicate Arch [near Moab, Utah] has the curious ability to remind us - like rock and sunlight and wind and wilderness - that out there is a different world, older and greater and deeper by far than ours... For a little while we are again able to see, as the children see, a world of marvels. For a few moments we discover that nothing can be taken for granted, for if this ring of stone is marvelous then all which shaped it is marvelous, and our journey here on earth, able to see and touch and hear in the midst of tangible and mysterious things-in-themselves, is the most strange and daring of all adventures."

http://utahpictures.com/images/DelicateArch1/sm1DELarchKILL4.jpg Makes me wish I was there.... <sigh....> smile.gif

Excellent list from BSG!

I also believe there is some Hemingway here and there, isn't it? In Losing it for example. Any more?

I've also read about lots of phrases and titles that inspired lyrics on Vapor Trails. How about a complete list of those while you're at it? Can't remember where I saw it.

The Companion Unobtrusive

QUOTE (A Companion Unobtrusive @ Dec 8 2004, 03:37 AM)
I've also read about lots of phrases and titles that inspired lyrics on Vapor Trails. How about a complete list of those while you're at it? Can't remember where I saw it.

This article (which I found via Powerwindows) talks about some of Neil's literary influences for Vapor Trails:

Peart reveals literary inspirations behind Rush album

Cool article! Enjoy. smile.gif

Man alive, nicked bits, ahem, I mean literay allusion are just all over Niel's lyrics.

Here's a couple with a common theme:-

Your right about Absolom being the son of David in the Bible, but 'Absolom Absolom!' is also the title of a novel by William Faulkner.

'The Sound and the Fury' (as in 'sound and fury drown my heart, every nerve is torn apart' from Cygnus X-1) is the title of another William Faulkner novel, but Willliam Faulker nicked it first from none other than our chum William Shakespeare's play Macbeth (act 5, scene 5, or so google tells me).

This is the passage it's from, spoken by Macbeth. Those who paid more attention in class than me tell me its considered to be bit of a classic.

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day

To the last syllable of recorded time,

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools

The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

And then is heard no more: it is a tale

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing.

Disco

Oh, I missed a chance to devlop the theme of 'Bits that Neil's nicked that were nicked from somewhere else in the first place.'

The bit in Losing it about 'Sadder still to watch it die, Than never to have known it

For you - the blind who once could see - The bell tolls for thee... borrows from the famous book by Hemmingway "For whom the Bell Tolls"

But Hemmingway nicked it from John Donne, who was one of these chaps who liked to sit around wondering what death was like rather than enjoying a drink with his pals, in a moment that would have killed the conversation at any dinner party our John once took it upon himself to say:-

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee..

Oh, and to make a link Farewell to Kings alludes to Hemmingway's A Farewell to Arms of course.

Disco

DEW's absalom absaom I take to be a reference to Faulkner's unreadable classic.

In the book an ambitous and ruthless southerner fights poverty and social stigma to achieve his grand design of social status and wealth with a legacy and hier. It all goes a bit pear shaped for our 'hero' Stupen - in effect his ambition and grand design destroy him.

DEW, I think, talks of how modern society, (those references to acid rain, heavy water, etc), our grand design, seperates us from one another...

It's so hard to stay together

Passing through revolving doors

..and how hard it is for us to reach each other.

sooo, that I think is where Faulkner's Absalom Absalom comes in: our grand designs eventually destroying us, or at least detrimental to us.

And if you had read the whole of this impeneratable book you'd want to tell the world that you'd finished it by putting a reference in your lyrics too...

QUOTE (Disco @ Dec 8 2004, 05:16 PM)

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

I see Shakespeare's not using the fretless bass favoured by most b-line playaz in 1600

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 8 2004, 12:01 PM)

This article (which I found via Powerwindows) talks about some of Neil's literary influences for Vapor Trails:

Thanks, GG!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 8 2004, 12:01 PM)

That's it, and this article also triggers a discussion I was trying to start at Rush.com about whether Neil Peart would have changed some of his views of Fate and Destiny after all his misfortunes.

The discussion was ruined, though, by some religious fanatics who started to claim that he had definitely come to "see the light" after what happened, which I do not agree with. I think that the "uncaring universe" he mentions in this article rather supports my view that "The stars look down" carries the same message as songs like "Freewill" and "Roll the bones". The thread was erased due to religious content, because it changed from a discussion to ranting. Too bad.

I have not read his books, though, and there may be some statements about the subject from the man himself in them.

Comments?

I'd say his views changed in this way: Neil said that, before he lost his daughter and his wife, he'd always lived with this philosophy in mind - "You DO good, you GET good."

I have to agree with his feelings now...that isn't how it works, necessarily.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 9 2004, 10:40 AM)
I'd say his views changed in this way: Neil said that, before he lost his daughter and his wife, he'd always lived with this philosophy in mind - "You DO good, you GET good."

I have to agree with his feelings now...that isn't how it works, necessarily.

I say the same - it's obvious. The philosophy you mention from Neil surprises me, though. I don't think it rhymes with the songs I mentioned - or even with "Anthem" if he refers to "doing good" to people. To me it has always looked like he thinks that the world is very unfair, and that good and bad things happen to people randomly.

That may be true...but I think in his heart, he believed that more positive philosophy, until it was totally destroyed by losing his family.

Archived