What is a good pair of earplugs for concerts?

Hemispheres89

I am 22 years old and have been to just under 15 concerts over a 4 year period. Due to an unrelated issue, I have recently had plugged/congested ears for the past couple weeks (it has to do with me grinding my teeth at night apparently), and it isn't a fun experience, although my hearing is still almost 100%.

Because of this incident, it has REALLY made me understand the fear from something like hearing loss nad i want to protect my ears with earplugs so I can continue going to shows! I have one coming up at the end of March, and then Rush on April 19th!

Any suggestions for a good pair of earplugs, and where can I find them? If it helps, I live in Canada.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can find ear plugs really cheap at a variety of stores. There are two kinds that I use. The first is made of foam that you roll to a point and slide into the entry of your ear canal. The foam expands, creating a barrier for the noise. The second kind is made of rubber. I've attached a picture. I usually just pull out the cord. They're both readily available at any Lowe's or Home Depot for like $5 for 3 pairs. They probably sell them at your local CVS-type store. Either kind works great. I wear them for concerts and when I'm playing the drums. I've been using each kind for probably 10 years now - too many concerts and I want to keep my hearing. Hope my post helps.

http://www.blackenedtrading.com/uploads/earplugs.jpg

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Mar 16 2011, 05:11 AM)
You can find ear plugs really cheap at a variety of stores. There are two kinds that I use. The first is made of foam that you roll to a point and slide into the entry of your ear canal. The foam expands, creating a barrier for the noise. The second kind is made of rubber. I've attached a picture. I usually just pull out the cord. They're both readily available at any Lowe's or Home Depot for like $5 for 3 pairs. They probably sell them at your local CVS-type store. Either kind works great. I wear them for concerts and when I'm playing the drums. I've been using each kind for probably 10 years now - too many concerts and I want to keep my hearing. Hope my post helps.
http://www.blackenedtrading.com/uploads/earplugs.jpg

Yeah...use these...I was gonna suggest something called Hearos (spelled something like that) but those 3m's are the same thing.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 16 2011, 08:30 AM)
I've seen ear plugs at Walgreens.

Yes, drug stores like cvs, rite aid and Walgreens carry earplugs. Get ones which block out less sound. Look at the back of the boxes and compare. I think they are rated by how many decibels they reduce the sound by. They are much cheaper than the ones they make for musicians ( ie: sonic ear, etc...) and they should work just fine for you.

Hmm very interesting replies. I will see about finding those 3mm's. I will try my local drugstore first since it's the closest. I really wouldn't care if it was 1000 dollars per pair; you can't put a price on your hearing.

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Mar 16 2011, 12:29 PM)
Hmm very interesting replies. I will see about finding those 3mm's. I will try my local drugstore first since it's the closest. I really wouldn't care if it was 1000 dollars per pair; you can't put a price on your hearing.

Even if they're not the 3M brand, several different companies make the same product. Whatever you go with, you can definitely get something that will work well for less than $6. Even a sporting goods store with a shooting/ hunting section should have them.

The very best are "Hearos" which you can purchase at any Guitar Center for under $20.00.

They are comfortable and they reduced the decibel level while still allowing the fidelity of the music through.

I started using them for concerts a few years ago and they are fantastic.

Here's the link...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hearos-High-Fi...913-i1530553.gc

I have a special pair of musicians ear plugs that I got on suggestion from an ENT doctor i had to see a couple times last year. they were about $200 (we got them cause we had some flex spending on our health insurance), and they're amazingly comfortable (obviously), hardly noticeable (mine are clear, you can also get them in flesh color), and work great (the special musician design filters the right frequencies so that you're not getting all the impact of the loud sound blast, but you're still able to hear everything/every instrument you need to hear clearly). They also make other special types like sleep earplugs and swimming earplugs. I've worn mine to many gigs and rock concerts, and they've never let me down.

Of course, i'm guessing you're not quite THAT serious about it. for generic/non-mold earplugs, go with hearo's.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Mar 16 2011, 06:21 PM)
Ear Plugs are for Turds.
Ted Nugent Wears Ear Plugs.

Lemmy doesn't wear Ear Plugs. It's all about being loud.

That's just dumb!

Go to over 200 concerts including dozens where you're in small clubs up at the stage right next to the speaker cabinets. Talk to Pete Townsend and Paul Gilbert, too. When you find yourself saying "Huh?" more times than you can remember when people are talking to you, let me know if you want to join us turds.

Personally speaking, 20 years from now, I want to still be able to hear the music I enjoy listening to.

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Mar 16 2011, 09:03 PM)
Ear Plugs are for Turds.

That's just dumb!

Go to over 200 concerts including dozens where you're in small clubs up at the stage right next to the speaker cabinets. Talk to Pete Townsend and Paul Gilbert, too. When you find yourself saying "Huh?" more times than you can remember when people are talking to you, let me know if you want to join us turds.

Personally speaking, 20 years from now, I want to still be able to hear the music I enjoy listening to.

Amen brother! I'm glad I have this "plugged ear" condition right now because it made me realize just how valuable my hearing actually is. See, what most eople don't realize without some research (like the poster who called us turds), is that hearing damage is accumulative. I used to think that just because my ears felt fine again a few hours after the gig, that my hearing wa fully back 100%. But the truth is... once the show is over and your ears are ringing, you have lost some of your hearing to the point where you will NEVER be able to hear the same way as you did before the shwo started. Of course, to the untrained eye, it's unnoticeable since the damage is in fact minor.

But still.. I LOVE concerts and I don't want to stop going just because it could damage my hearing. If a meteor strikes the earth tomorrow, i'd like to think I lived a fun life.. haha

But anyways, these "hearos" you guys speak of seem to really be worth it. i chceked out the link you gave me... is there any chance that a "Canadian Tire" would sell these? Could I order them online without worrying about being scammed?

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Mar 17 2011, 02:03 AM)
Ear Plugs are for Turds.

That's just dumb!

Hearing impairment is cool. I love to hear my ears ringing after a concert. If it's too loud then you're too old.

I love the fact that when I'm playing down the garden I can't hear my mom calling me in, I like speaking to my dad in sign language.

PRAISE THE LOUD!

I suffer from tinnitus (damaged my ears many years ago when I thought it was cool to stand for hours in front of Marshall stacks at live shows with unprotected ears sad.gif ) and now ALWAYS use ear protection at shows.

I use Hearos and am very satisfied with them.

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Mar 16 2011, 09:03 PM)

I hear ya! I suffer hearing loss and have tinnitus every day of my life now because I listen to music too loud on the head phones and never used ear protection at concerts.

I now take very good care of my ears because I want to continue enjoying music for the rest of my life!

Anyone who wears earplugs for work knows that hearing damage creeps up on you! If you're ears are ringing after a concert then you're probably doing permanent damage to your hearing.

Hey guys, just an update.

I went out and bought a package of the foam ear plugs (4 pairs for $3.99.. not bad!). I tried my local drugstores as well as a couple music shops (none of which sold earplugs! I find that odd seeing as how they are MUSIC places). Eventually, I made my purchase of the tiny foam ones at my Canadian Tire in one of their sections. Can anyone confirm that this is a good selection. The Noise Reduction Rating is 32 decibels but Ive also read that the foam plugs block out a lot of sound and the frequencies of the instruments arent on an equal level so you miss most of the music. Is this true. I could not find Hearos anywhere and this was the best substitute. I have a concert on Thursday night so now I have to make do with what I have. Any guidance would be appreciated here!

Unfortunately, it feels like nobody in this entire city seems to know what an earplug is, or even what a concert is, for that matter. Id ask the clerks in the stores and they were all baffled as to what i was asking for. Im guessing hearing damage has already gotten the best of them laugh.gif

Hey guys, just an update.

I went out and bought a package of the foam ear plugs (4 pairs for $3.99.. not bad!). I tried my local drugstores as well as a couple music shops (none of which sold earplugs! I find that odd seeing as how they are MUSIC places). Eventually, I made my purchase of the tiny foam ones at my Canadian Tire in one of their sections. Can anyone confirm that this is a good selection. The Noise Reduction Rating is 32 decibels but Ive also read that the foam plugs block out a lot of sound and the frequencies of the instruments arent on an equal level so you miss most of the music. Is this true. I could not find Hearos anywhere and this was the best substitute. I have a concert on Thursday night so now I have to make do with what I have. Any guidance would be appreciated here!

Unfortunately, it feels like nobody in this entire city seems to know what an earplug is, or even what a concert is, for that matter. Id ask the clerks in the stores and they were all baffled as to what i was asking for. Im guessing hearing damage has already gotten the best of them laugh.gif

I just used the earplugs on a concert the other night, and..... not bad!

When I took the plugs out at the end of the night, I couldnt believe how noisy the environment around me actually was.. thats how comfortable and snug the plugs were in my ears. And as for the music, it was still at a reasonably loud listening level but my ears felt like a million bucks!

These were standard foam ear plugs.. im looking into buying the Hearos, because although the sound was pretty good, I did have a tough time hearing the music (especially the vocals) at certain times. But definitely not enough to be a nuisance and CERTAINLY not enough to ruin the concert.

My next concert is Rush on April 19th, and since i have more time to get prepared, im gonna shoot for the Hearos! Nobody ive tried seems to sell them though. Hmm....

out of my 13 concerts I have worn earplugs for the last 3 of them and I will always wear them for now on. It got the point where at the end of concerts I wanted the show to be over because my ears hurt so bad and then trying to sleep that night with my ears ringing was impossible.

I just use standard foam plugs and they work fine. I could still hear everything, just at a lower volume. Then when the show is over NO RINGING!! no head aches. its great! and you get the piece of mind that you will actaully be able to hear people speak in 20 years.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Apr 2 2011, 11:25 AM)
out of my 13 concerts I have worn earplugs for the last 3 of them and I will always wear them for now on. It got the point where at the end of concerts I wanted the show to be over because my ears hurt so bad and then trying to sleep that night with my ears ringing was impossible.

I just use standard foam plugs and they work fine. I could still hear everything, just at a lower volume. Then when the show is over NO RINGING!! no head aches. its great! and you get the piece of mind that you will actaully be able to hear people speak in 20 years.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Ok, so forgive my stupidity here, but I don't get the whole earplugs at concerts thing.

For me it's pretty much of a moot point as I almost never go to concerts, and I DO understand the whole protecting your ears from hearing loss thing, which is obviously sensible, but doesn't it muffle the sound you end up hearing? I mean, doesn't it detract from the overall experience of what a concert is supposed to be?

I always equated wearing earplugs to a concert to wearing a blindfold to a fireworks display. I don't get it. no.gif unsure.gif