• "The Fountain of Lamneth"
    • "2112"
    • "Xanadu"
    • "Cygnus X-1: Book I: The Voyage"
    • "Cygnus X-1: Book II: Hemispheres"
    • "Jacob's Ladder"
    • "Natural Science"
    • "The Camera Eye"

ok, first of all I love Rush's epics more than their "hits" or their great 5 minute tracks. My top 10 favorite Rush tracks would include about 8 or 9 of those listed above. So choosing a least fave is so very hard.

I'll go with a tie between Jacob's Ladder and The Necromancer. Why? I dont know, maybe because both have only 3 or 4 total time changes (only!) and never really climax into anything. Keep in mind I love those two tracks more than 75% of their catalog but you twisted my arm to I had to choose.

I voted for Necromancer.

Edited by Bastille Dave

Yes, I was 'that guy' and voted for Camera Eye. I just am not a fan. It feels so repetitive and drawn out. It definitely wasn't that highlight of last tour for me, that was Marathon.

=)

Ok so this is not going to be popular but I am going to have to say that to me, by definition, the only epics are 2112, TFOL, and Hemispheres. That being said, I went with 2112.

So, "Xanadu", "Hemispheres", "Natural Science", and "Jacob's Ladder" are the flawless ones..?

I'd probably rank TCE over Jacob's Ladder by a lot, but that's just me. The others I can see though.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Mar 20 2011, 06:49 PM)
Ok so this is not going to be popular but I am going to have to say that to me, by definition, the only epics are 2112, TFOL, and Hemispheres.

I was going to put a disclaimer to that effect in my original post (although the only ones that I don't see as actual epics are "Xanadu", "The Camera Eye", and the songs from Permanent Waves), but it somehow fell by the wayside. In any case, I figured that "epic" was the accepted terminology among Rush fans for the longer, more progressive rock-oriented songs.

Edited by StellarJetman

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Mar 23 2011, 11:18 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Mar 20 2011, 06:49 PM)
Ok so this is not going to be popular but I am going to have to say that to me, by definition, the only epics are 2112, TFOL, and Hemispheres.

I was going to put a disclaimer to that effect in my original post (although the only ones that I don't see as actual epics are "Xanadu", "The Camera Eye", and the songs from Permanent Waves), but it somehow fell by the wayside. In any case, I figured that "epic" was the accepted terminology among Rush fans for the longer, more progressive rock-oriented songs.

to me, epic is 8 minutes or longer, give or take.

Gonna have to say Fountain here. Just not my jam.

And neither is Hemispheres. ;)

Hems is just...the most overhyped song ever!! (Second to Bohemian Rhapsody).

Gonna have to say Fountain here. Just not my jam.

And neither is Hemispheres. ;)

Hems is just...the most overhyped song ever!! (Second to Bohemian Rhapsody).

:( Bohemian Rhapsody is my favorite song.