For the love of Dirt and Fuzz

Maverick

QUOTE (staunchally @ Mar 21 2011, 09:54 AM)
Please excuse my naivete, but what exactly is the difference between fuzz and distortion?

I guess that the best way to say it is that they are both distortion of a tone, and fuzz is a certain flavor. Fripp uses fuzz on the solo to Starless. Its kind of a wider thicker distortion. Think Aqualung

QUOTE (staunchally @ Mar 21 2011, 10:54 AM)
Please excuse my naivete, but what exactly is the difference between fuzz and distortion?

Fuzz really jacks up your signal. Distortion does, as well. I think one of the biggest differences is that with fuzz, the mids are really scooped. In fact, my Diamond Fireburst pedal has a mid boost switch that essentially turns it into a distortion pedal when engaged. Fuzz also really tends to beef up the lower end, and can give you incredible, singing sustain.

Even in the realm of fuzz there are differences: tight and focused, loose and splatty, clangy. There's just so much to choose from.

QUOTE (staunchally @ Mar 21 2011, 09:54 AM)

Thanks for the responses. One thing I remember is that whenever I read interviews from guys in the '70's, they always mentioned fuzz. In the '80's it was distortion.

I love that "Starless" solo. I'd like to get that sound.

beginning, middle and end of discussion:

http://www.jimmisexton.com/images/RAT.jpg

cool.gif

really, though - if you own one distortion pedal, this should be it

you can dial in anything: Kid Gloves to Freeze, The Police to Sabbath

all for under $80

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Mar 22 2011, 10:57 AM)
beginning, middle and end of discussion:

http://www.jimmisexton.com/images/RAT.jpg

cool.gif

really, though - if you own one distortion pedal, this should be it

you can dial in anything: Kid Gloves to Freeze, The Police to Sabbath

all for under $80

It'd be nice if one pedal could do it all. Some I've seen come close, but they are usually multi-channel pedals with two or three stack-able and signal path arrangeable channels.

So I bought this used a couple of weeks ago at a vintage/boutique guitar shop in Falls Church, VA.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/IMAG0933.jpg

And today, I ordered this online from a shop in New Jersey. I'm hoping it makes it here in time for my jam on Saturday. I'd love to get it by Thursday so I can spend some time with it.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/wampler-black-65-2_clip-9b0d4ad95b3ee2189383a2996f03de49.jpg

Amp distortion guy myself but I do love to punch the front end of the amp with a good overdrive - even if it's just for flavor and not a volume or gain boost. I've used the Fulltone FDII - excellent overdrive. I would definitely get another one of these pedals if I were to be playing guitar in a band.

My other favorite is the Boss PQ-4 Parametric EQ. Not a traditional OD for sure but the level control acts like an OD and pushes the front of the amp into overdrive. The Parametric EQ allows you to really dial in a specific tone. Kind of like a Tube Screamer but you have access to more frequencies than just the treble. Fun pedal.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jun 25 2012, 12:34 PM)
Amp distortion guy myself but I do love to punch the front end of the amp with a good overdrive - even if it's just for flavor and not a volume or gain boost. I've used the Fulltone FDII - excellent overdrive. I would definitely get another one of these pedals if I were to be playing guitar in a band.

My other favorite is the Boss PQ-4 Parametric EQ. Not a traditional OD for sure but the level control acts like an OD and pushes the front of the amp into overdrive. The Parametric EQ allows you to really dial in a specific tone. Kind of like a Tube Screamer but you have access to more frequencies than just the treble. Fun pedal.

I totally agree and was about to post the same thing.

Amp Distortion is the only distortion you need. That's why speakers are designed to "break up". If you need a pedal for distortion you're using the wrong amp.

I always laugh at guys with distortion boxes in their pedal boards playing through a Marshall.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 26 2012, 10:54 AM)

If you need a pedal for distortion you're using the wrong amp.

I always laugh at guys with distortion boxes in their pedal boards playing through a Marshall.

False.

Depending on the type of amp you have, and how many channels you have, dirt boxes can be invaluable.

Many amps have to be turned up really loud in order to hit that sweet spot when it comes to their high gain. Pedals are designed to get you to those sweet spot tones, but without the house shaking volume.

The Wampler Black '65 emulates the sound of a fully cranked Fender Blackface amp form the mid 60's. Try doing that with a Marshall.

Eric Johnson uses overdrive and fuzz pedals through Marshall amps. Do you laugh at him?

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone who uses pedals. Guess I have a different opinion on the way a distorted guitar should sound.

No offense taken. There's just more than one way to get great tone. And I love the natural drive/distortion I get from both my amps, but I can't always play at the volume where they will sound the best.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Jun 26 2012, 05:06 PM)
This is my weapon of choice.

http://www.keymusic.com/gfx_productcode/81039/Electro-Harmonix-Big-Muff-USA.jpg

I played a couple of those when I was looking at fuzz boxes. Those things make a huge sound.

1022.gif

QUOTE (Maverick @ Jun 26 2012, 05:11 PM)

I played a couple of those when I was looking at fuzz boxes. Those things make a huge sound.

1022.gif

To me, a fuzz box is an effect, not a base for your dirty sound. I would imagine most use as a special effect. For instance, Eric Johnson uses it for that Hendrix vibe for some solos.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 26 2012, 05:30 PM)

1022.gif

To me, a fuzz box is an effect, not a base for your dirty sound. I would imagine most use as a special effect. For instance, Eric Johnson uses it for that Hendrix vibe for some solos.

I use mine for solos, mostly. When I played Magic Carpet Ride, I would hit it for the "Close your eyes, girl" chords, and I used it for the solo. It sounds amazing with my Strat.

It's rare that you hear it throughout an entire song. But I think Joe Bonamassa uses fuzz all through the BCC song The Revolution In Me.

I like the Big Muff with the Tone/Wicker thing. I have the little big muff and a Fulltone 70. The 70 is a killer pedal. I rarely use fuzz on stage though. Malekko makes a fuzz that I just need to get. If you get a chance, go over to Proguitarshop.com and check it out. If I had the cash, I would get the empress od/dist/fuzz pedal they make. They demo it on the site as well. I need to make more money. Edited by micgtr71

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 26 2012, 09:10 PM)
I like the Big Muff with the Tone/Wicker thing. I have the little big muff and a Fulltone 70. The 70 is a killer pedal. I rarely use fuzz on stage though. Malekko makes a fuzz that I just need to get. If you get a chance, go over to Proguitarshop.com and check it out. If I had the cash, I would get the empress od/dist/fuzz pedal they make. They demo it on the site as well. I need to make more money.

I live on ProGuitarShop.com as well as JetCityMusic.com, and I've seen all of those demos, probably multiple times each.

Have you ever checked out demos by GearManDude on YouTube?

The problem with using fuzz pedals live is that they tend to have their mids scooped, which leaves you with bass and treble frequencies. But the guitar is a mid range instrument. When you switch on the fuzz, you tend to drop out of the mix because now you are competing with bass and bass drum in the bass frequency, and the cymbals in the treble frequency. A lot of fuzz pedals are now being made with mid range controls to bring you up in the mix.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 26 2012, 10:30 PM)

1022.gif

I like to play stoner rock (like Kyuss, Sleep, Monster Magnet and Black Sabbath). A Big Muff is pretty handy to get that fuzzy guitar tone. But a good amp is the most important thing of course. I just love the sound of the Big Muff...

QUOTE (Maverick @ Jun 27 2012, 07:37 AM)
I like the Big Muff with the Tone/Wicker thing. I have the little big muff and a Fulltone 70. The 70 is a killer pedal. I rarely use fuzz on stage though. Malekko makes a fuzz that I just need to get. If you get a chance, go over to Proguitarshop.com and check it out. If I had the cash, I would get the empress od/dist/fuzz pedal they make. They demo it on the site as well. I need to make more money.

I live on ProGuitarShop.com as well as JetCityMusic.com, and I've seen all of those demos, probably multiple times each.

The problem with using fuzz pedals live is that they tend to have their mids scooped, which leaves you with bass and treble frequencies. But the guitar is a mid range instrument. When you switch on the fuzz, you tend to drop out of the mix because now you are competing with bass and bass drum in the bass frequency, and the cymbals in the treble frequency. A lot of fuzz pedals are now being made with mid range controls to bring you up in the mix.

I love gearmandude's videos. He is good at demoing the pedals. I have bought some and neglected some based on his reviews. The Fulltone has a knob that brings up the mids. I do like this feature, but for me the plimsoul is my favorite od/distortion box so the fuzz doesnt get the real estate. Maybe I will try it as I have not gigged with it yet.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 27 2012, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE (Maverick @ Jun 27 2012, 07:37 AM)

I love gearmandude's videos. He is good at demoing the pedals. I have bought some and neglected some based on his reviews. The Fulltone has a knob that brings up the mids. I do like this feature, but for me the plimsoul is my favorite od/distortion box so the fuzz doesnt get the real estate. Maybe I will try it as I have not gigged with it yet.

Fulltone started adding the Mids knob with these newer versions.

You mentioned the Empress Multi-Drive before, right? Those things are really nice. I have an Empress Compressor and love it. There is a place close by me that carries Empress, Xotic, Diamond, Fulltone, and all sorts of other great pedals. But they don't carry Wampler, yet. So I had to go online for this new one.