For the love of Dirt and Fuzz

Maverick

Ok, so I just bought a Mark V. I should be done with buying OD/Distortion pedals, right? Right? Yeah, right! But seriously, no mater how great the OD and distortion I can get from the Mark V, the one thing it cannot do by itself is FUZZ!

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/ff7bec70-9e91-4628-bb81-e2d9167343b8_zps0a9c12f8.jpg

So I bought this little devil, which I am sure I have referenced in this thread before. This has been a Holy Grail fuzz pedal for me eve since I first saw it demoed. It is wildly versatile, and with 11 knobs and 4 switches, it is a tweakers dream. I can't wait to get it home and try it out over my next 5 days off.

:haz:

• Like 1

I can't listen to non amp distortion anymore. Even my old Distortion+ just doesn't do it for me even through tubes. I just find it breaks up the integrity of the guitar and makes things scratchy. I would rather have a pre amp on a tube amp than any distortion pedal. I am so done with pedals that aren't keyboards. Or wah. Maybe delay, but I am using outboard and plugs for that. Never liked spring verb either. So there.
  • Like 1

So now I have three fuzz boxes. My first one was the Diamond Fireburst;

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/Guitar%20Gear/index_zps5cadce6d.jpg

Then earlier this year I bought the Blackout Effectors Twosome Fuzz.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/Guitar%20Gear/blackout-effectors-twosome-dual-fuzz-592313_zps3a47dee0.jpg

And last weekend I bought an Earthquaker Devices Tone Reaper.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/Guitar%20Gear/tone-reaper_zps10b68031.jpg

• Like 1

So now I have three fuzz boxes. My first one was the Diamond Fireburst;

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/Guitar%20Gear/index_zps5cadce6d.jpg

Then earlier this year I bought the Blackout Effectors Twosome Fuzz.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/Guitar%20Gear/blackout-effectors-twosome-dual-fuzz-592313_zps3a47dee0.jpg

And last weekend I bought an Earthquaker Devices Tone Reaper.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/Guitar%20Gear/tone-reaper_zps10b68031.jpg

Which one do you favour, and why?

If I could only have one, it would be the Twosome. The right side does every Big Muff sound you could want. The left side is still so much unexplored territory for me. But with two different Fuzz circuits, plus a Boost and Tone circuit, I can't begin to imagine all of the different Fuzz tones I can get from it.

After that, the Tone Reaper is a great Tone Bender clone. It is exceptionally quiet when turned on, but I'm not playing.

The Fireburst is a great pedal. It is much more of a Fuzz Face than anythin. Plus it has a mids boost that essentially turns it in to a great distortion pedal.

• Like 1

When I get to run my old Marshall with my Single Rectifier then I might use overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals in front of the marshall to add different flavors. But I think it will just end up being redundant. But fun nonetheless :guitar:

Mad Professor makes some really great pedals. And when you say Single Rectifier, are you talking about Mesa Boogie? I'm a total Mesa Boogie fanboy.

:LOL:

Yup, it's a Mesa Boogie. Bought it when I was 18 years old (paid it off over two years with no interest fees) and have had it ever since. It has broken down two times. I think the first time was just the power tubes dying, and the second time the switch matrix set itself on fire - I knew when I saw both channels active at the same time something was wrong, but then the smoke was already happening.

It's a great amp but I have a love/hate relationship with it. Some days it sounds huge and some days it sounds dull and lifeless. I have a feeling that it is super picky about the voltage it's being fed. Mostly it's been used on channel two in vintage mode but I'm moving away from that sound. Lately I've been digging Pink Floyd's Pulse concert and it got me to re-approach my way of doing things. I used to be an amp distortion type only but I have tried to use my Sky Blue Overdrive into my Marshall head set to clean and my Rectifier head also set to spanking clean! Never thought I would use a Rectifier for clean sounds, but actually it does it better than my Marshall. Now I can use delay effects without it turning into a wash of sounds. I need to practice my picking and fretting technique now but that's only fun, right?

The signal chain is now: Guitar -> Sky Blue Overdrive -> Boss CE5 -> Boss BF2 -> Carl Martin Delayla XL -> Buffer and Signal Splitter -> My amps.

Not using the gain channel on my Rectifier almost makes me feel like cheating :o

Gotta say I applaud the effort to go for new flavors. I admit to getting precious with signal paths too. And because pedals traditionally sound cheap avoiding them has been protocol. The guy I record with the most has some really nice boxes but we really don't insert more than one at a time. We do have quite a few different amps to choose from. I know you guys are "guitar player" types where I play guitar and a bunch of other things so my approach is different. For instance I don't wear boots...

I guess what I'm getting at is at least the guys in this thread aren't trying to sound like other guys but rather growing and exploring your own tonal spectrum. Tone is a moving target and should be seen as such in order to grow as a player. Yay for that!

• Like 2

Hey everybody, I hope you don't mind if I post this question here - it seems relevant. I posted the same question in the rank 2112 thread, but I'm not sure anyone will answer it there. It has to do with a distortion effect Lifeson gets near the end of 2112; here's the question I asked:

Lifeson's lead guitar near the end of 2112 sounds quite strange to me, and I have always had a suspicion that it might be an over-driven or distorted acoustic guitar. I say this because when I was younger and didn't really have money for gear, I used to plug my acoustic into this tiny little amp and crank it up to 10, which would produce a shitty sounding distortion. I don't mean to suggest that Lifeson's tone is "shitty," but it really does remind me of the sound I used to get.

Hey everybody, I hope you don't mind if I post this question here - it seems relevant. I posted the same question in the rank 2112 thread, but I'm not sure anyone will answer it there. It has to do with a distortion effect Lifeson gets near the end of 2112; here's the question I asked:

Lifeson's lead guitar near the end of 2112 sounds quite strange to me, and I have always had a suspicion that it might be an over-driven or distorted acoustic guitar. I say this because when I was younger and didn't really have money for gear, I used to plug my acoustic into this tiny little amp and crank it up to 10, which would produce a shitty sounding distortion. I don't mean to suggest that Lifeson's tone is "shitty," but it really does remind me of the sound I used to get.

It always sounded to me like he had the wah set full open and possibly some EQing in post.

• Like 1