For the love of Dirt and Fuzz

Maverick

Effects like chorus, flangers, phasers, and other modulation variations used to be my favorites. But recently, I have fallen in love with the higher gain spectrum. So I thought I'd start a thread celebrating all the different flavors and ranges of the great dirt boxes out there in pedal land.

Feel free to add your own favorites, whether you own them, previously owned them, or simply lust after them.

1022.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 1 2011, 05:26 PM)
Does your LoneStar not produce a desirable distortion tone and/or enough distortion?

Its not a super high gain amp, no. It does get a really nice over-driven tone on channel 2, especially with humbuckers. But I do like to have other options, even if its just to goose what's already there in channel 2.

Now, when I get a Mark V, that will be a different story.

I use a one channel amp that does break up well, but at stage volumes. For overdrive/distortion, I love the Fulltone Plimsoul. I have never found a box that does what this one does. It is my favorite. For fuzz, I love the EHX big muff. These are the only ones I use anymore. Boxes I have owned in the past include a TS-9 (never could get used to a tube screamer), Fulltone OCD, Boss Metal Zone, and a Boss Blues Driver. Right now, the only other high gain box that I would like to get is one of those Whirlwind hand-wired versions of the old MXR yellow box distortions.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Mar 5 2011, 04:28 PM)
Tried out one of these a little while ago, definitely going to pick it up someday: Diamond Fireburst

I bought one of those last year, and I really like it. I thought I was getting a Fuzz pedal, and it does go into the Fuzz territory, but I guess its more of a distortion pedal. Its definitely distortion with the mid-boost engaged. Regardless of how you classify it, it sounds great. It had tons of gain, sustain, and low end. And it will absolutely bring down your house. I tested it out along side a Fulltone Octa-Fuzz and an EHX Big Muff. I definitely like the Fireburst the best of the three.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Mar 5 2011, 07:22 AM)
I use a one channel amp that does break up well, but at stage volumes. For overdrive/distortion, I love the Fulltone Plimsoul. I have never found a box that does what this one does. It is my favorite. For fuzz, I love the EHX big muff. These are the only ones I use anymore. Boxes I have owned in the past include a TS-9 (never could get used to a tube screamer), Fulltone OCD, Boss Metal Zone, and a Boss Blues Driver. Right now, the only other high gain box that I would like to get is one of those Whirlwind hand-wired versions of the old MXR yellow box distortions.

To be honest, I don't really use them now as I find my Switchblade has plenty of gain, though if I was in the habit of going into the really "brutal" realms (which I'm not) then I might require one.

I have an AMT Fatal Tube which gives a very nice distortion with quite a lot of tonal options and is very handy as a backup.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Mar 7 2011, 06:46 AM)
To be honest, I don't really use them now as I find my Switchblade has plenty of gain, though if I was in the habit of going into the really "brutal" realms (which I'm not) then I might require one.

I have an AMT Fatal Tube which gives a very nice distortion with quite a lot of tonal options and is very handy as a backup.

And by "brutal realms" do you mean fuzz, or just super high gain distortion?

pedals are fine in moderation,lifeson is a pedal monster and should play more "clean"guitar imo :yes:

Agreed. I saw a video of him going over his rig and signal chain for the S&A tour. It was mind-numbing everything his signal went through. I just sat there and thought, "overkill."

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
fixed quote tags

pedals are fine in moderation,lifeson is a pedal monster and should play more "clean"guitar imo

Agreed. I saw a video of him going over his rig and signal chain for the S&A tour. It was mind-numbing everything his signal went through. I just sat there and thought, "overkill."

Does his guitar sound good, and with a variety of sounds? And do those sounds fit the music? I'd answer yes to all those questions.

I never question someone's choice of effects or guitars or amp if they make it work for them and their music.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
fixed quote tags

pedals are fine in moderation,lifeson is a pedal monster and should play more "clean"guitar imo

Does his guitar sound good, and with a variety of sounds? And do those sounds fit the music? I'd answer yes to all those questions.

I never question someone's choice of effects or guitars or amp if they make it work for them and their music.

I can't really argue with the results. However, from time to time I have felt (from hearing it, not from knowing the length of the chain) that his tone was cold and over-processed. Many guitarists get as good or better tone (my opinion, of course) with note even half the stuff he runs through.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
fixed quote tags

I can't really argue with the results. However, from time to time I have felt (from hearing it, not from knowing the length of the chain) that his tone was cold and over-processed. Many guitarists get as good or better tone (my opinion, of course) with note even half the stuff he runs through.

You talking about certain studio tracks, or live? Any examples?

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
fixed quote tags

I think for me it was most noticeable on Different Stages, the 1997 tracks.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
fixed quote tags

I think for me it was most noticeable on Different Stages, the 1997 tracks.

Right, and I agree. But I won't blame his effects chain.

Most of that live album was taken from the T4E tour ('97), and his choice of amps for that tour was the Marshall JCM900.

I own a 900, and in fact the rhythm tracks for mine and Cyg's version of "La Villa" were recorded with it. It's well documented how dissatisfied I was with the tone I got from that amp -- it's very thin and fizzy. Marshalls from the '90s and '00s like the 900/DSL/TSL/JVM all have that bright and crispy modern tonal characteristic that I'm not crazy about.

After his solid state GK phase, Alex got into tube amps again, and he needed amps with effects loops. The 900s were newest Marshalls at the time that fit the bill, and he used those on the T4E tour. That was my least favorite of his heavy live tones.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
fixed quote tags

QUOTE (skalamander2112 @ Mar 14 2011, 05:38 AM)
my brother built me a few fuzz boxes. i tried them next to my fuzzface and their was no comparison. i told him he needs to start his own custom pedal buisness or whatever. ill post some pictures of em when i can.

Any sound samples? would be good to hear them in action yes.gif

QUOTE (skalamander2112 @ Mar 14 2011, 12:38 AM)
my brother built me a few fuzz boxes. i tried them next to my fuzzface and their was no comparison. i told him he needs to start his own custom pedal buisness or whatever. ill post some pictures of em when i can.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Mar 14 2011, 04:09 AM)
QUOTE (skalamander2112 @ Mar 14 2011, 05:38 AM)
my brother built me a few fuzz boxes. i tried them next to my fuzzface and  their was no comparison. i told him he needs to start his own custom pedal buisness or whatever. ill post some pictures of em when i can.

Any sound samples? would be good to hear them in action yes.gif

working on it. were recording our album so hopefully i will have some soon. biggrin.gif

for the one i use, he used the schematics for the old Big Muff pedal. with a univibe and delay its got that david gilmour "time" solo sound. i cant remember the schematics for the other one he built. he uses it with his bass rig.