The most overrated bands

Akron162

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 28 2011, 05:32 PM)
NIRVANA = Most Overrated Band Ever

I totally understand why someone would feel this way, but I loved Nirvana. I think their short career was a burst of energy and attitude. I still like their albums.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 1 2011, 06:53 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 28 2011, 05:45 PM)
QUOTE (VarianStar @ Feb 27 2011, 11:11 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 27 2011, 11:52 PM)
Anyway, I can not fathom the success or popularity of Bon Jovi. I will go to my grave worried for mankind and confused on why it happened.

This. 100% this.

I think Denis Leary said it best when he said, "I mean, Stevie Ray Vaughan is dead, and we can't get Jon Bon Jovi onto a helicopter? C'mon, folks..."

Who the f*ck rates Bon Jovi so highly that they're deemed overrated in the first place??? Bar hairdressers.

The hate shown for Bob, The Beatles and The Beach Boys is baffling, and I'll say it again, sadly not surprising.

Its truly staggering isn't it? Although I wouldnt take these kind of topics that seriously. I love how these threads eventually derail every time with such utter nonsense.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Mar 1 2011, 05:28 AM)
Muse

I really don't get their popularity.  I like a couple of their songs but overall I find them boring.

I feel the same about Radiohead.

Agreed on the Muse thing, just baffling. But not Radiohead's popularity, especially during the 'OK Computer' period. I'm sure once again many here will say it was just down to luck and timing. Yeah, right eh.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Feb 28 2011, 07:38 PM)
Anyway, I can not fathom the success or popularity of Bon Jovi. I will go to my grave worried for mankind and confused on why it happened.

This. 100% this.

I think Denis Leary said it best when he said, "I mean, Stevie Ray Vaughan is dead, and we can't get Jon Bon Jovi onto a helicopter? C'mon, folks..."

Who the f*ck rates Bon Jovi so highly that they're deemed overrated in the first place??? Bar hairdressers.

The hate shown for Bob, The Beatles and The Beach Boys is baffling, and I'll say it again, sadly not surprising.

Its truly staggering isn't it? Although I wouldnt take these kind of topics that seriously. I love how these threads eventually derail every time with such utter nonsense.

it's not nonsense if the artist merits the claim

(and in the case of Dylan and The Beach Boys, both do)

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Mar 1 2011, 02:52 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Feb 28 2011, 07:38 PM)

This. 100% this.

it's not nonsense if the artist merits the claim

(and in the case of Dylan and The Beach Boys, both do)

Of course they do. Who am I to argue cool10.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 28 2011, 01:13 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 28 2011, 12:53 PM)

Three reasons these guys are not overrated:

1 - "Visions of Johanna"

2 - "A Day in the Life"

3 - "Surf's Up"

I rest my case.

Love all those songs.

I'm not so sure about this one, but i remember that when guitar hero three came out, everybody began to think dragonforce had the best guitarist, Herman lee i believe. I've heard their music, and it's just really generic metal. The shredding is fun, but that's it. Maybe it's just here in my town.

But seriously, the intro to the songs not even guitar, and they made that the hardest part of the game if i can recall correctly. Really overrated just because people couldn't pass the game.

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 1 2011, 12:58 AM)
I'm not so sur about this one, but i remember that when guitar hero three ca,e put, everybody began to think dragonforce had the best guitarist, Herman lee i believe. I've heard their music, and it's just really generic metal. The shredding is fun, but that's it. Maybe it's just here in my town.

But seriously, the intro to the songs not even guitar, and they made that the hardest part of the game if i can recall correctly. Really overrated just because people couldn't pass the game.

Exactly, Dragonforce is just generic cockrock! Yeah the shredding is impressive, but there's absolutely no feeling at all to it. I'll take a solo from Angus any day over this crap. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Mar 1 2011, 01:46 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Mar 1 2011, 12:58 AM)
I'm not so sur about this one, but i remember that when guitar hero three ca,e put, everybody began to think dragonforce had the best guitarist, Herman lee i believe. I've heard their music, and it's just really generic metal. The shredding is fun, but that's it. Maybe it's just here in my town.

Exactly, Dragonforce is just generic cockrock! Yeah the shredding is impressive, but there's absolutely no feeling at all to it. I'll take a solo from Angus any day over this crap. 1022.gif

Well said. Plus, angus solos are so much fun to play. You get to twist them up and through your feelings in there.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 1 2011, 01:49 AM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Mar 1 2011, 01:46 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Mar 1 2011, 12:58 AM)

Well said. Plus, angus solos are so much fun to play. You get to twist them up and through your feelings in there.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine Emmeline @ Feb 28 2011, 05:30 PM)
Don't kill me! - I think Led Zeppelin are overrated :S

Not fully agreeing with this but Led Zeppelin pushes the limits of the definition of "overrated"

Led Zeppelin is constantly listed as one of the best 5 rock bands of all time..... name any magazine that has assembled such a list and you will find Zeppelin there....

I love Zeppelin, but IMO they are not the best of all time, for what they did and what they recorded they are among the best... just not the best as some would say...

The same goes for Jimmy Page... he is a great guitarist, and once again if you pull up any magazine list for best guitarists of all time you will find Jimmy Page very near or at the top.. he is great but I would not put him up that high..

I love Zeppelin, and all of their music... But they are held so high on public opinion you have to call it overrated... I can think of alot better.

That being said, one non-overrated aspect of Zeppelin is Bonzo... John Bonham is one of the best drummers of all time, if not the best... you cannot hold him in high enough praise.

"Stairway to Heaven" is beyond any doubt the most overrated song of all time.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 1 2011, 08:25 PM)

Only because its been thrashed on every FM radio station known to man and twisted all reason. Like the 'Dark Side of the Moon' album (which often gets the same label), I'm forever grateful I avoided commercial radio through most of the 80s onwards and appreciate a smidgen of classic rock for what its truly worth. Any Floyd or Zep is in no way overated imo. No damn way no.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Mar 1 2011, 02:42 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 1 2011, 08:25 PM)

Only because its been thrashed on every FM radio station known to man and twisted all reason. Like the 'Dark Side of the Moon' album (which often gets the same label), I'm forever grateful I avoided commercial radio through most of the 80s onwards and appreciate a smidgen of classic rock for what its truly worth. Any Floyd or Zep is in no way overated imo. No damn way no.gif

That's me exactly, I haven't listened to radio much since the early 80s, so I haven't got the overplay burn-out syndrome that a lot of people complain about on here. And just because a song is overplayed on the radio doesn't mean it's overrated just because you're sick of it.

Guns n Roses

Aerosmith (70s material excluded)

U2 (80s material excluded)

Nickelback

Blondie (why are they in the RnR hof?)

Pearl Jam (Everything after Ten is marginal at best)

Bruce Springsteen

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 28 2011, 02:13 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 28 2011, 12:53 PM)

Three reasons these guys are not overrated:

1 - "Visions of Johanna"

2 - "A Day in the Life"

3 - "Surf's Up"

I rest my case.

QFT

The monkees were actually a solid band. Nesmith and tork had skill, and they wrote a lot of their later material. They get a bad rap.