The most overrated bands

Akron162

QUOTE (VarianStar @ Feb 27 2011, 11:11 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 27 2011, 11:52 PM)
Anyway, I can not fathom the success or popularity of Bon Jovi. I will go to my grave worried for mankind and confused on why it happened.

This. 100% this.

I think Denis Leary said it best when he said, "I mean, Stevie Ray Vaughan is dead, and we can't get Jon Bon Jovi onto a helicopter? C'mon, folks..."

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 28 2011, 05:45 PM)
Anyway, I can not fathom the success or popularity of Bon Jovi. I will go to my grave worried for mankind and confused on why it happened.

This. 100% this.

I think Denis Leary said it best when he said, "I mean, Stevie Ray Vaughan is dead, and we can't get Jon Bon Jovi onto a helicopter? C'mon, folks..."

Who the f*ck rates Bon Jovi so highly that they're deemed overrated in the first place??? Bar hairdressers.

The hate shown for Bob, The Beatles and The Beach Boys is baffling, and I'll say it again, sadly not surprising.

You dont have to like the Beatles to understand how much they changed music in general. The points have mostly been made already, but if you think they are too simple, as I used to, thats just ignorance. But to be honest you really have to include the Beach Boys(who I hate) as 2 bands that totally changed popular music in all levels. They were competing to out do each other around that pet sounds/sgt pepper era and all. Beaner actually tries to explain that stuff to me in our 1st demo here: http://thegreatdebate.podomatic.com/ Edited by ucsteve667

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Feb 28 2011, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Feb 28 2011, 07:27 AM)
The Beatles are the greatest band of all time, imo.

Please name your favorites Akron so I can point out to you how clueless you are for even starting this thread. atickhum.gif

Lets see: Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Camel, Yes, Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons Project, Metallica, Utopia, Rush, Caravan and some others.

OVERRATED!!! EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE OF THEM!!!!!!! pokey.gif

tongue.gif

Every single band that has had a top-40 hit over the last 20 years.

There's probably a few exceptions in there, but to me: popularity is generally inversely proportional to how good a band is.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 27 2011, 10:52 PM)

I can not fathom the success or popularity of Bon Jovi.

It's very simple. He found a song formula in 1984, its called , write the same song over and over agian wink.gif . I have been to enough Bon Jovi shows with my wife ,it is frightening laugh.gif Woman still go ga-ga over this asshat and as long as they do, He will sell out football stadiums all over the world . I don't call them Overrated because no one has ever said they were Great musicians and changed the way people play their instruments , i just call them very lucky

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Feb 28 2011, 02:28 PM)
Aerosmith and Guns N Roses

I think Aerosmiths accomplishments from 1974-1979 speaks for itself. Great Band at one time

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Feb 28 2011, 03:30 PM)

I think Aerosmiths accomplishments from 1974-1979 speaks for itself. Great Band at one time

No question! Aerosmith circa the 1970's was a kick ass band. Then came MTV...

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 28 2011, 11:53 AM)

This. 100% this.

Who the f*ck rates Bon Jovi so highly that they're deemed overrated in the first place??? Bar hairdressers.

The hate shown for Bob, The Beatles and The Beach Boys is baffling, and I'll say it again, sadly not surprising.

bon jovi rofl3.gif someone should start a thread of bon jovi jokes..

beatles and dylan are cool but I bet you can't sell me on the b boys... I like the hot rod tunes but that's out of nostalgia, I still don't take them seriously..

I think Dennis was the only one in the group that could actually surf and was into cars. they almost remind me of the monkees or the spice girls lol

Edited by MMCXII

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Feb 28 2011, 08:38 PM)

This. 100% this.

that right there kinda puts them in the same category as the monkees or the spice girls lol ... in my opinion of course lol

Oh Dear Jesus. ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 28 2011, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Feb 28 2011, 03:30 PM)

No question! Aerosmith circa the 1970's was a kick ass band. Then came MTV...

all about the "writers" they brought in

we did a show on that too....

Aerosmith-Before & After The Got Lame

http://thegreatdebate.podomatic.com/

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 28 2011, 03:40 PM)

This. 100% this.

that right there kinda puts them in the same category as the monkees or the spice girls lol ... in my opinion of course lol

The monkees were funny when I was a kid, and the spice girls have boobs...

Bon Jovi has nothing for me

Edited by ucsteve667

lol! you managed to quote me just before I altered that last sentence...

I'm not responsible for what's going to happen to the space/time continuem tongue.gif

I actually liked the spice girls the very first time I heard them. it was that video of them in the desert and there was a very cool old '69 dodge daytona in the vid. I'm sure it was the car that did it... ok and the boobs lol

I still remember Mike Myers' quote when he was asked which was his favorite spice girl,"I'll take the whole rack!" laugh.gif

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Feb 28 2011, 04:05 PM)
Listen to White Stripes. Punt a kitten.

dont do either, its not good for you or the kitten...

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Feb 28 2011, 04:02 PM)
I actually liked the spice girls the very first time I heard them. it was that video of them in the desert and there was a very cool old '69 dodge daytona in the vid. I'm sure it was the car that did it... ok and the boobs lol

I still remember Mike Myers' quote when he was asked which was his favorite spice girl,"I'll take the whole rack!" laugh.gif

at least the one Spice used to pose naked...

what I would do for a video of a Baby & Posh naked pillow fight(yeah I didnt want to go too blue here heh)

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 28 2011, 12:53 PM)

Three reasons these guys are not overrated:

1 - "Visions of Johanna"

2 - "A Day in the Life"

3 - "Surf's Up"

I rest my case.

Every band is overrated to some extent. I don't think I'll be the first to admit, but about 99% of what I listen to is overrated to hell and back. I'm not ashamed of it at all, nor do I see a reason to be. I listen to all the artists I like and always find something good and bad in the music. Even some of my most loved bands I always have a fair amount of criticism for no matter what they've done.

Groups like The Beatles are overrated for a reason I believe. Mostly because everyone loved them when they were at the pinnacle of their a career and it was considered unhealthy not to like them. Eventually this spreads to other bands and, through the generations, it stays in practice. That doesn't surprise me that there's some hate for The Beatles, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, etc.. What I can't stand are the fanatics who will go absolutely apeshit if you say their favorite artist doesn't have one ounce of talent. But hey, music is subjective like most things. If it weren't for this one little factor, things could be easier.

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Feb 28 2011, 03:58 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 28 2011, 03:40 PM)

This. 100% this.

The monkees were funny when I was a kid, and the spice girls have boobs...

Bon Jovi has nothing for me

Bon Jovi is a vagina. doh.gif

I have always wondered about the attraction to Bruce Springsteen. I will say this, he puts on a tremendous show, but I wouldn't own an album of his.

I used to be a big fan of U2 but now Bono has his so far up his ass that I can't hardly stand him. He seems to believe all the press clippings, and I believe the music has suffered.

QUOTE (-Jane- @ Feb 28 2011, 04:14 PM)
I have always wondered about the attraction to Bruce Springsteen. I will say this, he puts on a tremendous show, but I wouldn't own an album of his.

I used to be a big fan of U2 but now Bono has his so far up his ass that I can't hardly stand him. He seems to believe all the press clippings, and I believe the music has suffered.

I also think Bruce Springsteen is overrated. But just a little. Yes, he puts on a tremendous and energetic show. He's among the best. But he's also recorded some pretty good albums. Unless you write for Rolling Stone magazine, according to them the Boss has never not recorded a masterpiece.

U2 ceased to be a good band some time around Zooropa. I think the well ran dry on that album and they've been milking it ever since. Talk about a band that has ran out of ideas.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Feb 28 2011, 04:28 PM)
Muse

I really don't get their popularity.  I like a couple of their songs but overall I find them boring.

I feel the same about Radiohead.

Those two have plenty of detractors though. Like Rush they tend to polarise opinion so logically they can't really be over-rated.

Amongst rock bands I prefer the term "over-hyped" rather than "over-rated". The bands that are pumped out at us 24/7 for seemingly no reason. Like Nickelback, for example. Style over substance.

Edited by Tony R