#41 Good,bad,andrush

Good,bad,andrush

The Mathemagician

• Members *
  • 6152 posts
  • Interests:Blue mountain.

Math Magic.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Feb 27 2011, 09:13 PM)
I appreciate The Beatles. I really do. They're arguably the most influential band of the 20th Century...
...But I can't say I think they're the best band ever. I really do think they're at least a tad overrated.
(However, I'm still peeved about that one "top ten" list that put Ringo Starr ahead of Buddy Rich. What. The. Heck.)

There are a few musicians of today I think are overrated beyond belief (Taylor Swift, for one) but really most that are engraved in history earned it.

I was playing with my band and my guitarist's friend was gonna sing for us just to help us write vocal melodies. She's in love with Taylor swift though.

So she asks us to play it. She puts the song on, and in two seconds we learned the whole thing. We kept listening to see if it changed, and besides a generic guitar solo which my guitarist learned then and there...nothing.

Same three whole notes on bass.

After a while, my drummer and I got bored, and we started going. Nuts, doing triplets and septuplets and adding as much as we could...my guitarist was just smiling.

Afterwards my drummer says, "we're still prog right?"

We sold ourselves out before our first album  tongue.gif  

Sponsored Post

#42 Akron162

Akron162

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 28 2011, 07:27 AM)
The Beatles are the greatest band of all time, imo.

Please name your favorites Akron so I can point out to you how clueless you are for even starting this thread. atickhum.gif

Lets see: Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Camel, Yes, Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons Project, Metallica, Utopia, Rush, Caravan and some others.  

#43 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 19142 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:25 AM

I think some people have to accept the fact that The Beatles were more than just a pop group. They were always an incredibly innovative band. Yes, they weren't instrumental virtuosos, but they excelled at singing, harmonizing, arranging and writing. And don't fool yourself, when they needed to be, they were very adept at playing their instruments. Yes, they were in the right place at the right time, but they backed it up. The Beatles don't have to be everyone's favorite band, but there is something there for everyone. Simply look at the progression of the songs! For eight years, year after year, they rarely repeated an idea or technique. Year after year they sounded different. Very few bands, very few, can claim that. HOLY SHIT!

Edited by ReRushed, 28 February 2011 - 09:25 AM.

#44 Good,bad,andrush

Good,bad,andrush

The Mathemagician

• Members *
  • 6152 posts
  • Interests:Blue mountain.

Math Magic.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 28 2011, 09:25 AM)
I think some people have to accept the fact that The Beatles were more than just a pop group. They were always an incredibly innovative band. Yes, they weren't instrumental virtuosos, but they excelled at singing, harmonizing, arranging and writing. And don't fool yourself, when they needed to be, they were very adept at playing their instruments. Yes, they were in the right place at the right time, but they backed it up. The Beatles don't have to be everyone's favorite band, but there is something there for everyone. Simply look at the progression of the songs! For eight years, year after year, they rarely repeated an idea or technique. Year after year they sounded different. Very few bands, very few, can claim that. HOLY SHIT!

goodpost.gif  

#45 Cygnals

Cygnals

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:48 AM

Believe it or not, and flame me all you want, but Pink Floyd to me is overrated.

I could never understand the fascination with them. Aside from a few good songs (Wish You Were Here, Young Lust, Great Gig In The Sky), the rest just doesn't move me.

Except move me to sleep...

#46 EmotionDetector

EmotionDetector

Emotion-Guy

• Members *
  • 6088 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:02 AM

The Rolling Stones and Aerosmith come to mind.

ph34r.gif  

#47 ghostworks

ghostworks

The God Of Pants

• Members
  • 13926 posts
  • Interests:sʇsǝɹǝʇuI

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Feb 28 2011, 02:07 AM)
...I can't believe no one's mentioned the Rolling Stones yet...  some people think they invented rock and roll for cryin out loud!

EDIT: ok turns out the Stones were mentioned by Ghostworks...  trink39.gif

biggrin.gif  

#48 ghostworks

ghostworks

The God Of Pants

• Members
  • 13926 posts
  • Interests:sʇsǝɹǝʇuI

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 27 2011, 10:55 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 27 2011, 10:52 PM)
...anyway, I can not fathom the success or popularity of Bon Jovi. I will go to my grave worried for mankind and confused on why it happened.

I feel exactly the same way about The Stones and Aerosmith
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Feb 28 2011, 10:02 AM)
The Rolling Stones and Aerosmith come to mind.

ph34r.gif

great minds...

#49 tjtull

tjtull

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1138 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:28 AM

Muse

I really don't get their popularity.  I like a couple of their songs but overall I find them boring.

I feel the same about Radiohead.

#50 Mystic Slipperman

Mystic Slipperman

From Genesis to Armageddon

• Members
  • 3139 posts
  • Interests:Playing and writing music.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:29 AM

I like the Stones.    Were they "The Greatest Rock & Roll Band In The World"???  I don't think so. Maybe when Mick Taylor was in the band (1968-1973), but then again, during that time they had a lot of competition, didn't they?  Zeppelin, The Who, Beatles, and the burgeoning progressive movement...

That said, "Sticky Fingers", "Beggars Banquet", "Let It Bleed" and "Exile on Main Street" are legendary rock records.  

I wonder what it would have been like to have been a teenager in the 1960s, when all this music was first coming out.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman, 28 February 2011 - 11:30 AM.

#51 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 34219 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (VarianStar @ Feb 27 2011, 11:11 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 27 2011, 11:52 PM)
Anyway, I can not fathom the success or popularity of Bon Jovi. I will go to my grave worried for mankind and confused on why it happened.

This. 100% this.

I think Denis Leary said it best when he said, "I mean, Stevie Ray Vaughan is dead, and we can't get Jon Bon Jovi onto a helicopter? C'mon, folks..."

#52 Hatchetaxe&saw

Hatchetaxe&saw

Hail the mighty Lag!

• Members *
  • 10837 posts
  • Interests:Misanthropy.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 28 2011, 05:45 PM)
Anyway, I can not fathom the success or popularity of Bon Jovi. I will go to my grave worried for mankind and confused on why it happened.

This. 100% this.

I think Denis Leary said it best when he said, "I mean, Stevie Ray Vaughan is dead, and we can't get Jon Bon Jovi onto a helicopter? C'mon, folks..."

Who the f*ck rates Bon Jovi so highly that they're deemed overrated in the first place??? Bar hairdressers.

The hate shown for Bob, The Beatles and The Beach Boys is baffling, and I'll say it again, sadly not surprising.

#53 ucsteve667

ucsteve667

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • Interests:MY SHOW In its 4th year
    live & podcast shows at
    http://www.spreaker.com/user/rockhardradio
    http://www.spreaker.com/show/breakfast_with_ucsteve

Check out MY SHOW Live here, featuring The Atomic Bitchwax, Kingsnake, King Dead, Ajax Rasputin
    http://www.youtube.com/user/myshow667/videos

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:57 PM

You dont have to like the Beatles to understand how much they changed music in general. The points have mostly been made already, but if you think they are too simple, as I used to, thats just ignorance.  But to be honest you really have to include the Beach Boys(who I hate) as 2 bands that totally changed popular music in all levels. They were competing to out do each other around that pet sounds/sgt pepper era and all. Beaner actually tries to explain that stuff to me in our 1st demo here: http://thegreatdebate.podomatic.com/

Edited by ucsteve667, 28 February 2011 - 12:58 PM.

#54 Tick

Tick

Mr: 26,000!!!

• Members *
  • 26492 posts
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Feb 28 2011, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Feb 28 2011, 07:27 AM)
The Beatles are the greatest band of all time, imo.

Please name your favorites Akron so I can point out to you how clueless you are for even starting this thread. atickhum.gif

Lets see: Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Camel, Yes, Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons Project, Metallica, Utopia, Rush, Caravan and some others.

OVERRATED!!! EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE OF THEM!!!!!!! pokey.gif

tongue.gif  

#55 apetersvt

apetersvt

The Professor

• Members
  • 3485 posts
  • Interests:wine (good beer and cheap liquor actually), women, and song

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

Every single band that has had a top-40 hit over the last 20 years.

There's probably a few exceptions in there, but to me:  popularity is generally inversely proportional to how good a band is.

#56 metaldad

metaldad

Official TRF Chauffeur

• Members
  • 17165 posts
  • Interests:hanging out with my Wife, son and 2 girls . playing Drums , Beer, going to shows, Beer , Cooking , Beer , watching football , Beer , watching baseball, Beer , cranking Metal and Beer

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 27 2011, 10:52 PM)

I can not fathom the success or popularity of Bon Jovi.

It's very simple. He found a song formula in 1984, its called , write the same song over and over agian  wink.gif . I have been to enough Bon Jovi shows with my wife ,it is frightening  laugh.gif  Woman still go ga-ga over this asshat and as long as they do, He will sell out football stadiums all over the world .  I don't call them Overrated because no one has ever said they were Great musicians and changed the way people play their instruments , i just call them very lucky

#57 greg2112

greg2112

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2915 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

Aerosmith and Guns N Roses

#58 ucsteve667

ucsteve667

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • Interests:MY SHOW In its 4th year
    live & podcast shows at
    http://www.spreaker.com/user/rockhardradio
    http://www.spreaker.com/show/breakfast_with_ucsteve

Check out MY SHOW Live here, featuring The Atomic Bitchwax, Kingsnake, King Dead, Ajax Rasputin
    http://www.youtube.com/user/myshow667/videos

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Feb 28 2011, 02:28 PM)

I think Aerosmiths accomplishments from 1974-1979 speaks for itself.  Great Band at one time

#59 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 19142 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Feb 28 2011, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Feb 28 2011, 02:28 PM)

I think Aerosmiths accomplishments from 1974-1979 speaks for itself.  Great Band at one time

No question! Aerosmith circa the 1970's was a kick ass band. Then came MTV...

#60 MMCXII

MMCXII

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6215 posts
  • Interests:Playing drums, creating art, building hot rods, sacred geometry and spirituality, Metal detecting, mountain biking, camping/canoeing, off roading, motorcycles.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 28 2011, 11:53 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 28 2011, 05:45 PM)

This. 100% this.

Who the f*ck rates Bon Jovi so highly that they're deemed overrated in the first place??? Bar hairdressers.

The hate shown for Bob, The Beatles and The Beach Boys is baffling, and I'll say it again, sadly not surprising.

bon jovi  rofl3.gif  someone should start a thread of bon jovi jokes..

beatles and dylan are cool but I bet you can't sell me on the b boys... I like the hot rod tunes but that's out of nostalgia, I still don't take them seriously..

I think Dennis was the only one in the group that could actually surf and was into cars. they almost remind me of the monkees or the spice girls lol

Edited by MMCXII, 28 February 2011 - 03:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users