The most overrated bands

Akron162

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Feb 27 2011, 08:54 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Feb 27 2011, 09:42 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 27 2011, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Feb 28 2011, 01:20 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 27 2011, 08:16 PM)
Anyone who thinks that The Beatled are over-rated is an ignorant moron. I don't even like them much but their influence on modern pop and rock music has been immense.

Good if they were influential, but all the bands who came later an were "influenced" were better than them.

You've made a wholly subjective (and fatuous) reply to my stated fact, what was the point of that?

All the bands who came after The Beatles were superior to them.

eyesre4.gif

Theres no point really, the Beattles just suck.

I was cutting him some slack since it looks like English is his second language but this is too much. Ignorance or trolling, i don;t know....

Indeed, Akron is from Costa Rica.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 27 2011, 10:52 PM)
I think a lot of bands are overrated, but a lot of the bands I love are considered overrated by family and friends. That's the name of the game and it usually ends up a nice debate and/or argument over a couple of beers.

Anyway, I can not fathom the success or popularity of Bon Jovi. I will go to my grave worried for mankind and confused on why it happened.

I think a lot of bands are overrated, but a lot of the bands I love are considered overrated by family and friends. That's the name of the game and it usually ends up a nice debate and/or argument over a couple of beers.

Anyway, I can not fathom the success or popularity of Bon Jovi. I will go to my grave worried for mankind and confused on why it happened.

http://images1.makefive.com/images/entertainment/music/best-_80_s-hair-metal-bands/bon-jovi-7.jpg

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Feb 27 2011, 10:29 PM)
And now she's begun to realize there is better stuff out there. I wonder if I did her a favor?

A small favor, perhaps. It's not like you saved her from a burning building or gave her a great stock tip.

It's just rock-n-roll. We're all gonna like some bands and dislike others. It's not a contest..... no.gif

QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Feb 27 2011, 10:11 PM)
Kings of Leon

OLD KINGS OF LEON GOOD NEW KINGS OF LEON.... tolerable.

I mean, I like new KoL and all, but I'd rather hear Aha Shake Heartbreak than "Sex on Fire" or "Use Somebody".

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 27 2011, 11:52 PM)

This. 100% this.

The Beatles - I just can't stand them

The Doors- if Morrison didn't die he wouldn't be the "legend" he is today, and Manzarek's f*ckin' playing gives me such a headache!

Zeppelin- never liked Plant's whiny ass shrill voice

Nirvana- talentless hacks who just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Cobain was a horrible "singer" and an even worse guitarist.

Clapton- just an alright player to me- not the guitar hero many think he is

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Feb 27 2011, 11:40 PM)
The Beatles - I just can't stand them

The Doors- if Morrison didn't die he wouldn't be the "legend" he is today, and Manzarek's f*ckin' playing gives me such a headache!

Zeppelin- never liked Plant's whiny ass shrill voice

Nirvana- talentless hacks who just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Cobain was a horrible "singer" and an even worse guitarist.

Clapton- just an alright player to me- not the guitar hero many think he is

Beatles - early beatles were good, but definately over-rated! they overshadowed and stole so much spotlight away from other awesome bands albeit not their fault. later beatles, different story! they progressed into arguably the first prog band and did some very creative stuff! plus the big "british invasion fan-gasm" was over with.

the Doors - completely agree about Morrison but I do like some of the stuff he wrote. the other band members were all decent musicians but their music didn't do much for me. too shrilly and carnival-like. and no bass player?!? wtf!

Zeppelin - they were pretty popular but I think they deserve to be! Physical Graffiti and the debut album have always been "must haves" for me!

Nirvana - I agree. I mean yeah they "invented a genre" but was it a GOOD genre...? lol

Clapton - I agree. he's good but ya..

I can't believe no one's mentioned the Rolling Stones yet... some people think they invented rock and roll for cryin out loud!

EDIT: ok turns out the Stones were mentioned by Ghostworks... trink39.gif

Edited by MMCXII

Beach boys - I love they beach boys... for the first few seconds. yeah it gets old that fast lol

Kiss - like the early stuff, but I wish they would have quit in about 1978...

Nickelback - don't even get me started! lol

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 28 2011, 04:00 AM)
Anyone who thinks that The Beatled are over-rated is an ignorant moron. I don't even like them much but their influence on modern pop and rock music has been immense.

Good if they were influential, but all the bands who came later an were "influenced" were better than them.

You've made a wholly subjective (and fatuous) reply to my stated fact, what was the point of that?

eyesre4.gif

I was cutting him some slack since it looks like English is his second language but this is too much. Ignorance or trolling, i don;t know....

Not that you have suggested it, but can I just say that at no point did I attack this person's English, just his logic processes. wink.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 28 2011, 05:57 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 28 2011, 04:00 AM)

eyesre4.gif

Not that you have suggested it, but can I just say that at no point did I attack this person's English, just his logic processes. wink.gif

I agree, his logic is flawed.

I never liked using the terms "better" or "best" when describing music. I prefer "most influential." Some Rush fans will look down on other bands if their musicianship isn't flashy, and ignore the influence those bands may have had. To do that with the Beatles, if indeed that's what Akron is doing, is criminal. You don't have to like them, but you have to respect them. No rock or pop band was more influential, despite their lack of flashy chops.

It's simple really. If you aren't a fan of a band and lots of other people are you might be disposed to dismissing them as over-rated.

Just think about how many people out there consider Rush to be "shit".

50% of their fans for starters... wink.gif

The Beatles are the greatest band of all time, imo.

Please name your favorites Akron so I can point out to you how clueless you are for even starting this thread. atickhum.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Feb 27 2011, 09:13 PM)
I appreciate The Beatles. I really do. They're arguably the most influential band of the 20th Century...
...But I can't say I think they're the best band ever. I really do think they're at least a tad overrated.
(However, I'm still peeved about that one "top ten" list that put Ringo Starr ahead of Buddy Rich. What. The. Heck.)

There are a few musicians of today I think are overrated beyond belief (Taylor Swift, for one) but really most that are engraved in history earned it.

I was playing with my band and my guitarist's friend was gonna sing for us just to help us write vocal melodies. She's in love with Taylor swift though.

So she asks us to play it. She puts the song on, and in two seconds we learned the whole thing. We kept listening to see if it changed, and besides a generic guitar solo which my guitarist learned then and there...nothing.

Same three whole notes on bass.

After a while, my drummer and I got bored, and we started going. Nuts, doing triplets and septuplets and adding as much as we could...my guitarist was just smiling.

Afterwards my drummer says, "we're still prog right?"

We sold ourselves out before our first album tongue.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 28 2011, 07:27 AM)
The Beatles are the greatest band of all time, imo.

Please name your favorites Akron so I can point out to you how clueless you are for even starting this thread. atickhum.gif

Lets see: Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Camel, Yes, Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons Project, Metallica, Utopia, Rush, Caravan and some others.

I think some people have to accept the fact that The Beatles were more than just a pop group. They were always an incredibly innovative band. Yes, they weren't instrumental virtuosos, but they excelled at singing, harmonizing, arranging and writing. And don't fool yourself, when they needed to be, they were very adept at playing their instruments. Yes, they were in the right place at the right time, but they backed it up. The Beatles don't have to be everyone's favorite band, but there is something there for everyone. Simply look at the progression of the songs! For eight years, year after year, they rarely repeated an idea or technique. Year after year they sounded different. Very few bands, very few, can claim that. HOLY SHIT! Edited by ReRushed

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 28 2011, 09:25 AM)
I think some people have to accept the fact that The Beatles were more than just a pop group. They were always an incredibly innovative band. Yes, they weren't instrumental virtuosos, but they excelled at singing, harmonizing, arranging and writing. And don't fool yourself, when they needed to be, they were very adept at playing their instruments. Yes, they were in the right place at the right time, but they backed it up. The Beatles don't have to be everyone's favorite band, but there is something there for everyone. Simply look at the progression of the songs! For eight years, year after year, they rarely repeated an idea or technique. Year after year they sounded different. Very few bands, very few, can claim that. HOLY SHIT!

goodpost.gif

Believe it or not, and flame me all you want, but Pink Floyd to me is overrated.

I could never understand the fascination with them. Aside from a few good songs (Wish You Were Here, Young Lust, Great Gig In The Sky), the rest just doesn't move me.

Except move me to sleep...

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Feb 28 2011, 02:07 AM)
...I can't believe no one's mentioned the Rolling Stones yet... some people think they invented rock and roll for cryin out loud!

EDIT: ok turns out the Stones were mentioned by Ghostworks... trink39.gif

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 27 2011, 10:55 PM)
...anyway, I can not fathom the success or popularity of Bon Jovi. I will go to my grave worried for mankind and confused on why it happened.

I feel exactly the same way about The Stones and Aerosmith

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Feb 28 2011, 10:02 AM)
The Rolling Stones and Aerosmith come to mind.

ph34r.gif

great minds...

I like the Stones. Were they "The Greatest Rock & Roll Band In The World"??? I don't think so. Maybe when Mick Taylor was in the band (1968-1973), but then again, during that time they had a lot of competition, didn't they? Zeppelin, The Who, Beatles, and the burgeoning progressive movement...

That said, "Sticky Fingers", "Beggars Banquet", "Let It Bleed" and "Exile on Main Street" are legendary rock records.

I wonder what it would have been like to have been a teenager in the 1960s, when all this music was first coming out.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman