The most overrated bands

Akron162

For me is simple: The Beattles and U2. And i got my reasons.

The Beattles are as plain as a band can get, musically they just suck, is incredible that they make famous composing songs that any amateur guitarist can compous. I respect their ability to keep things simple, but that is the only good thing about them, that and John Lennon.

Somebody tell me please why U2 is the biggest band in the world. Whit the most stupid lyrics and music completly predictable and average in any begginer rock band, not to mention that pretensious self-claimed social message. Bob Dylan transmite more significanse whit one song that U2 whit teir entire catalog. If they want to make pop, go ahead, but not insult good music claiming themselves a rock band.

That are my reasons.

so tell me, which is the most overrated band in your opinnion?

The Doors/Jim Morrison

I do enjoy listening to them and the 1st 2 albums are good. Robbie Kreiger and Ray Manzarak are great musicians, but I just don't get the love for Jim Morrison. His lyrics were crap (imo) and he wasn't a good singer at all. There were many other great bands during the 60's that are forgotten now, but for some reason The Doors are still popular.

Bob Dylan

He's a good songwriter, but I never got the appeal.

Phish

I listened to a bunch of their songs on YouTube, but they did nothing for me. They seem talented, but nothing stood out.

There are others, but these 3 came to mind first.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 27 2011, 08:16 PM)
Anyone who thinks that The Beatled are over-rated is an ignorant moron. I don't even like them much but their influence on modern pop and rock music has been immense.

Good if they were influential, but all the bands who came later an were "influenced" were better than them.

It seems to me that this is about taste, so its hard to argue. I think the Beatles were a brilliant little band who made some absolutely wonderful music.

I think the doors were overrated. I think Eric Clapton is overrated.. not because hes not a good guitarist, but because I dont find his vocals to be very good.

I think Pearl Jam is overrated, though I like them. I think Oasis is overrated as well.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Feb 28 2011, 01:20 AM)
Anyone who thinks that The Beatled are over-rated is an ignorant moron. I don't even like them much but their influence on modern pop and rock music has been immense.

Good if they were influential, but all the bands who came later an were "influenced" were better than them.

You've made a wholly subjective (and fatuous) reply to my stated fact, what was the point of that?

All the bands who came after The Beatles were superior to them.

eyesre4.gif

The Beatles did the world a favor by breaking ground, leaving what was popular and formulaic, and being experimental. It may not seem like it now, but Sgt. Peppers and Revolver were utterly groundbreaking at the time for the masses. And were darn good too IMO.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 27 2011, 08:33 PM)

You've made a wholly subjective (and fatuous) reply to my stated fact, what was the point of that?

eyesre4.gif

Theres no point really, the Beattles just suck.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Feb 27 2011, 08:42 PM)

eyesre4.gif

Perhaps The Beattles sucked, but the Beatles were quite good IMO. smile.gif

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Feb 27 2011, 09:42 PM)

eyesre4.gif

I was cutting him some slack since it looks like English is his second language but this is too much. Ignorance or trolling, i don;t know....

Guns 'n Roses....Sure Appetite for Destruction had a couple good songs (which I've heard so many times I can't stand to hear 'em once more)... But I never got the mania.

Same with Nirvana....OK I get the significance of the band and even saw them live, but just never got what the big deal was about them...I could never relate to 'em.

I appreciate The Beatles. I really do. They're arguably the most influential band of the 20th Century...

...But I can't say I think they're the best band ever. I really do think they're at least a tad overrated.

(However, I'm still peeved about that one "top ten" list that put Ringo Starr ahead of Buddy Rich. What. The. Heck.)

There are a few musicians of today I think are overrated beyond belief (Taylor Swift, for one) but really most that are engraved in history earned it.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 27 2011, 08:31 PM)
It seems to me that this is about taste, so its hard to argue. I think the Beatles were a brilliant little band who made some absolutely wonderful music.

I think the doors were overrated. I think Eric Clapton is overrated.. not because hes not a good guitarist, but because I dont find his vocals to be very good.

I think Pearl Jam is overrated, though I like them. I think Oasis is overrated as well.

goodpost.gif

I don't think I've heard a band that was interviewed that has NOT listed the Beatles as an influence, and many, if not most, have considered them their greatest influence.

As far as overrated is concerned, I would agree with the Doors and GNR.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Feb 27 2011, 08:54 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Feb 27 2011, 09:42 PM)

eyesre4.gif

I was cutting him some slack since it looks like English is his second language but this is too much. Ignorance or trolling, i don;t know....

Men of course, i'm trolling. you think i dont know how big were the Beatles? I just think their music is too simple, and if music don't make me really use my brain i dont like it.

By the way, i think i have apologize for my english quite enough.

Guns and Roses

Nirvana

Bruce Springsteen

Bob Dylan

The Doors

goodpost.gif

I feel bad though. There's this girl in my class who's in love with guns n roses, and I keep proving to her how much superior the bands I like are better than guns n roses. I keep telling her about tool, rush, apc, pt, queen, yes, king crimson, dream theater, and other rock bands that are actually better like triumph, dire straits, and so on...

She struggles to say anything, and has begun to realizing how badly she is overrating them. I like them a lot, but she says that those guys are all the best at their instruments, that they have the deepest lyrics, that they have long songs ( z7shysterical.gif ). And now she's begun to realize there is better stuff out there. I wonder if I did her a favor?

I think a lot of bands are overrated, but a lot of the bands I love are considered overrated by family and friends. That's the name of the game and it usually ends up a nice debate and/or argument over a couple of beers.

Anyway, I can not fathom the success or popularity of Bon Jovi. I will go to my grave worried for mankind and confused on why it happened.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Feb 27 2011, 07:17 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 28 2011, 03:30 PM)
Guns and Roses
Nirvana
Bruce Springsteen
Bob Dylan
The Doors

GnR yes.gif

Nirvana no.gif

Bruce yes.gif

Dylan no.gif

Doors yes.gif

U2 yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

Guns and Roses yes.gif

Nirvana yes.gif

Bruce Springsteen confused13.gif

Bob Dylan no.gif

The Doors no.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 27 2011, 10:52 PM)
...anyway, I can not fathom the success or popularity of Bon Jovi. I will go to my grave worried for mankind and confused on why it happened.

I feel exactly the same way about The Stones and Aerosmith