My super awesome steak omelette recipe

Jack Aubrey

I invented this about five years ago and everyone that I've prepared one for has absolutely raved about it. If you try it I hope you like it and please let me know what you think.

Pre-heat your medium sized skillet on medium-level heat and add a tablespoon of margarine and let it coat the bottom of the pan.

Pre-heat your small skillet on another burner at medium heat. Put about a tablespoon and a half of butter in it and let it melt.

Take some leftover steak (a piece about three inches square will do you just fine or you can use more if you like) and slice it into pieces about 3/4 inch square and about 1/4 inch thick.

Take a quarter of a regular size onion and dice or sliver it, use a Vidalia onion if you've got one because they're the best!

Grate about a 1/4 cup of medium cheddar cheese.

Put your onion in the small skillet and stir-fry it until it's well caramelized, when the onion is about halfway there, add the steak and put about two dashes of Worchestershire sauce in it being careful not to add too much because a little goes a long way!

Scramble two eggs in a bowl. I've seen folks add cream or milk to eggs, but you really don't need to do this. If you're the type that does add them to your eggs, please trust me this one time and leave them out. Add salt and pepper to taste and pour the eggs into the med. skillet. Immediately after pouring in the eggs, add the grated cheese, distributing it all through the eggs all around the pan. Once the eggs are about 3/4s of the way solidified, add the onions and steak and once the eggs are solid, fold and serve hot!

You can also use sliced kielbasa or smoked sausage in place of the steak, just leave out the Worchestershire because it doesn't go too well with either of those.

Enjoy and feel free to share this with anyone who's interested.

This sounds like it would make an awesome wrap as well for those of us who dislike eggs. Sauteed mushrooms would also be a tasty addition.

The problem is in the phrase "leftover steak". laugh.gif When we have steak, trust me - there are never any leftovers!

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 25 2011, 11:13 AM)
This sounds like it would make an awesome wrap as well for those of us who dislike eggs. Sauteed mushrooms would also be a tasty addition.

The problem is in the phrase "leftover steak". laugh.gif When we have steak, trust me - there are never any leftovers!

^^exactly...when I have steak, which is infrequent, trust me...i'm leaving nothing behind. smile.gif

Sounds good, Jack. I'll try your recipe this weekend as I have a steak thawing in the fridge today and know that I'll have some leftover. smile.gif

About adding milk or creme to scrambled eggs... I never do it. I think it makes the eggs tough. I add a splash of water, instead. When the eggs hit the hot pan the water flash steams and makes the eggs fluffy (just be sure to not overcook your eggs or they will definitely be tough).

I, however, will trust you this one time and refrain from adding even water to your recipe... wink.gif

summer sky, how is it that you end up with leftover steak? laugh.gif What's the secret? Are you grilling an entire cow for 2 people, perhaps?

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 25 2011, 01:19 PM)
summer sky, how is it that you end up with leftover steak? laugh.gif What's the secret? Are you grilling an entire cow for 2 people, perhaps?

I am thawing a thick cut steak that I bought in the fall when I was grilling. It will be too much for me for one meal.

And, I am cooking for one smile.gif

Jack's Steak & Cheese Omelette for brunch.

Served with toasted English muffin, hothouse tomato and orange juice.

Parsley is from my window sill herb pot.

My pan got a little too hot as I attended the English muffin,

but I caught it just in time before the omelette overcooked wink.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/summer_sky/steakome.jpg

Very tasty and satisfying smile.gif

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Feb 27 2011, 01:20 PM)
Jack's Steak & Cheese Omelette for brunch.
Served with toasted English muffin, hothouse tomato and orange juice.
Parsley is from my window sill herb pot.
My pan got a little too hot as I attended the English muffin,
but I caught it just in time before the omelette overcooked wink.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/summer_sky/steakome.jpg

Very tasty and satisfying smile.gif

Wow, cool! I'm delighted that you liked it!

yup, the leftover New York Strip steak made for a good omelette. Unfortunately, I didn't have Vidalia onion, so I use a sweet white onion. It was quite a tasty brunch.

Your recipe is simple, yet delicious smile.gif

But,even if ya do post your recipe, I don't think I'll be trying your rattlesnake chili anytime soon, though tongue.gif

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Feb 27 2011, 04:21 PM)
yup, the leftover New York Strip steak made for a good omelette. Unfortunately, I didn't have Vidalia onion, so I use a sweet white onion. It was quite a tasty brunch.

But,even if ya do post your recipe, I don't think I'll be trying your rattlesnake chili anytime soon, though tongue.gif

Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten about that! I'll post it soon, if only as a curiosity! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 27 2011, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (summer_sky @ Feb 27 2011, 04:21 PM)
yup, the leftover New York Strip steak made for a good omelette.  Unfortunately, I didn't have Vidalia onion, so I use a sweet white onion.  It was quite a tasty brunch.

But,even if ya do post your recipe, I don't think I'll be trying your rattlesnake chili anytime soon, though  tongue.gif

Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten about that! I'll post it soon, if only as a curiosity! laugh.gif

Yes, please do. I, for one, am quite curious huh.gif