"What a class act"

barney_rebel

When an autistic man started having trouble singing the national anthem at Fenway, the crowd helps him out.

Another anthem related video...Mo Cheeks helps out a young girl who forgets the words to the anthem.

Another tearjerker, featuring the late, great Harmon Killebrew...

This is the stuff that legends are made of.

Eight-year-old Jack Guiney, hospitalized in New York for weeks with burns over half of his body, greeted his hero as he strode into the room on May 20, 1964.

It was Harmon Killebrew. The Twins slugger was in town for a two-game series with the Yankees.

Killebrew gave an autographed baseball to Jack, who pulled a ball glove from under his pillow and said, "Would you autograph my glove, too?"

After a little baseball chatter -- "I'm a shortstop," the bandaged boy said -- Killebrew made a deal with the lad: "If you hurry up and get well, the next time I'm in town, I'll take you out to the ball park and you can meet all the fellows."

With the afternoon game near, Killebrew said it was time he headed head to the stadium.

"I'll watch you on television," the blue-eyed, freckle-faced youngster said from his Manhattan hospital bed.

"Maybe I'll hit you a couple," Killebrew responded.

Sure enough, he did just that, starting with a two-run home run in the first inning. The second homer came on his last at-bat, a solo shot in the eighth inning, capping off the Twins' 7-4 victory.

The New York Daily News and Jack's father arranged the visit for the boy, whose altar boy robes caught fire as he was lighting candles at his parish church in Brooklyn. The newspaper's bedside photo appeared in the Minneapolis Morning Tribune the next day and was sent across the nation on the UPI picture wire.

Jack soon left the hospital and indeed was Killebrew's guest in New York nearly four months later when the Twins played the Yankees on Sept. 12, 1964, posing together for news photographers along the rail before the game. Killebrew gave him one of his bats.

And this time, Jack saw for himself Killebrew's awesome power when the Twins star belted a two-run homer deep into the left-field stands in the first inning.

Guiney is now 55 years old and lives in Queens, not far from where he met his childhood idol. That hospital visit 47 years ago "lifted my spirits. I watched the whole game from my hospital bed. I was shocked" when Killebrew made good on his two-home run call.

"[Last week] I was listening to the radio and heard he was sick," Guiney said. "I said a little prayer when I heard that."

Guiney said he took the news of Killebrew's death Tuesday pretty hard and can attest to what "they said in the paper -- that he was a great ballplayer but a greater human being."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821b...gn=Twitter_news

Tandon Doss walked into a Five Guys hamburger establishment Thursday just looking for a tasty pregame meal. He walked out a civic hero.

The Ravens rookie broke up a fight at the restaurant just hours before his team's preseason game against the Washington Redskins at M&T Bank Stadium, according to The Baltimore Sun.

"I saw somebody start fighting, and I broke it up," the wide receiver said after the Ravens' 34-31 victory. "That's all it was to me."

A Baltimore police spokesman said two male former employees of the restaurant, one of whom police believe was angry about being fired, used a knife to cut the manager at around 4:30 p.m.

The spokesman said the two men ran from the restaurant, leaving the knife behind in the process. The spokesman also said the Five Guys manager suffered a minor cut on his chin and was treated and released from an area hospital.

Doss said he didn't worry about his own well-being when he saw the attack in progress.

"I mean, it was two dudes on one," Doss said. "I was trying to help the situation out. I broke it up."

Doss initially mentioned the incident on his Twitter page.

"Jus had to break up a fight at five guys," he wrote. "Baltimore is too ratchet!!!"

The fight was news to Ravens coach John Harbaugh.

"I'm not on Twitter," he said. "I'll be looking into that."

Doss tried to downplay talk of a new superhero protecting Baltimore's historic Inner Harbor, where the incident took place.

"I saw the guy on the ground bleeding, and I saw a guy on top hitting him," he said. "So I stopped it."

Doss, a fourth-round selection in April's draft, caught two passes for 28 yards in Thursday's game.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Aug 26 2011, 04:58 PM)
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821b...gn=Twitter_news

Tandon Doss walked into a Five Guys hamburger establishment Thursday just looking for a tasty pregame meal. He walked out a civic hero.

The Ravens rookie broke up a fight at the restaurant just hours before his team's preseason game against the Washington Redskins at M&T Bank Stadium, according to The Baltimore Sun.

"I saw somebody start fighting, and I broke it up," the wide receiver said after the Ravens' 34-31 victory. "That's all it was to me."

A Baltimore police spokesman said two male former employees of the restaurant, one of whom police believe was angry about being fired, used a knife to cut the manager at around 4:30 p.m.

The spokesman said the two men ran from the restaurant, leaving the knife behind in the process. The spokesman also said the Five Guys manager suffered a minor cut on his chin and was treated and released from an area hospital.

Doss said he didn't worry about his own well-being when he saw the attack in progress.

"I mean, it was two dudes on one," Doss said. "I was trying to help the situation out. I broke it up."

Doss initially mentioned the incident on his Twitter page.

"Jus had to break up a fight at five guys," he wrote. "Baltimore is too ratchet!!!"

The fight was news to Ravens coach John Harbaugh.

"I'm not on Twitter," he said. "I'll be looking into that."

Doss tried to downplay talk of a new superhero protecting Baltimore's historic Inner Harbor, where the incident took place.

"I saw the guy on the ground bleeding, and I saw a guy on top hitting him," he said. "So I stopped it."

Doss, a fourth-round selection in April's draft, caught two passes for 28 yards in Thursday's game.

Just came from lunch at a Five Guys. Damn fine meal.

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- A Notre Dame fan who had a heart attack during last weekend's game at Michigan survived to watch the final touchdowns from a hospital bed, the school said Thursday.

Leo Staudacher's heart stopped during the second quarter of Saturday night's game at Michigan Stadium, the school said. The 69-year-old Bay City man survived thanks in part to one bystander who performed CPR and others who called for a medical team who used an automated electric defibrillator on site.

"My family watched while they shocked me with the paddles," Staudacher, who was visiting Ann Arbor with his sons ages 45, 48 and 50, said in a statement released by the school. "But it was the fans and their prompt CPR that saved my life."

The medical team then took him to the University of Michigan Health System's Cardiovascular Center for treatment, where he was able to watch part of the final quarter from an intensive care unit bed -- and saw Michigan's thrilling 35-31 win.

"I saw the last two touchdowns from the ICU unit," Staudacher said. "It was great to witness an amazing match-up between two old rivals -- at least for the first quarter and half anyway."

http://eye-on-college-football.blogs.cbssp...156338/33979618

Don't have a rooting interest in Wednesday night's Poinsettia Bowl matchup between TCU and Louisiana Tech? With all due respect to the Horned Frogs, you might now.

Two Louisiana Tech players took the opportunity during Monday's Poinsettia Bowl community service event with the Make-A-Wish Foundation to donate their bowl gifts to kids involved with the foundation. Senior linebacker Adrien Cole and junior wide receiver Quinton Patton each gave away their $300 Best Buy gift card, with Cole also donating his Tourneau Poinsettia Bowl watch.

"They're just material things," Cole said. "They need it more than I do." (Watch Cole [pictured] speak with a Louisiana Tech All-Access reporter and the boy who received his watch in a CBSports.com ULive video here.)

"It was eye-opening," Patton said of the Make-A-Wish event in a CBSSports.com video interview. "You can't take anything for granted.

"I just did it, just out of the blue" he said of his decision to donate his bowl gift. "It's all smiles. He's happy, I'm happy, so it really doesn't matter ."

A bowl representative told TV station KSLA that he believed this was the first time a player had made such a donation at the Poinsettia Bowl.

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

Edited by laughedatbytime

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 2 2012, 10:19 AM)
Buccaneers sign paralyzed player to 90 man roster

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/02/bucca...rand/?hpt=hp_c1

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

Reminds me of when Red Auerbach drafted the paralyzed Landon Turner, key cog in the Hoosiers 81 Championship team.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ May 18 2012, 07:01 PM)
Awwwww

http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2012/05/1...-video/related/

Awwwww smile.gif

Edited by laughedatbytime

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/31/football-player-married_n_2592077.html

One six-year-old girl has just done what millions of women can only dream of -- she "married" her favorite football player.

Breanna became an Internet sensation earlier this month when a video of her crying because she's too young to marry Houston Texans player J.J. Watt

(watch the video above). Watt heard about the video and set out to find Breanna, tweeting Monday, "Does anyone happen to know this cute little girl? We have to find her and turn those tears into a smile."
  • Like 1

Wow, speechless

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/02/two_oregon_teenagers_a_basketb.html

In a small gym in the middle of nowhere, two boys locked eyes last fall in the final seconds of a meaningless, one-sided high school basketball game.

ESPN and the big broadcast networks never make it to Mapleton, a tiny unincorporated community situated on the Siuslaw River 45 minutes west of Eugene. The only video of the Mapleton High Sailors' first game of the 2012-13 season was grainy and out of focus even before the shocked cheers of the gymnasium crowd shook the walls at the very end.

Something far from meaningless happened after those boys spotted each other. They shared one of those unexpected moments that help explain why sports matter, because beyond the spectacle and the pomp, they occasionally offer a glimpse into the extremes of human nature: We are brutal creatures bent on destruction. We are giving, kind and tender.

Even teenaged boys.

• Like 1