Compilation albums

invisibleairwaves

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Apr 28 2005, 04:14 AM)
Maybe. But it probably still won't have anything from Presto except The Pass

I wouldn't be so sure. They'd have to include Show Don't Tell as well-at least.

If they were to make a Retsrospective III, I imagine it'd look something like this:

(In chronological order)

Show Don't Tell

The Pass

Superconductor

Dreamline

Roll the Bones

Bravado

Animate

Between Sun and Moon

Leave That Thing Alone!

Test for Echo

Driven

Carve Away the Stone

One Little Victory

Ghost Rider

Earthshine

Btw, has there already been a thread on this?

For someone who isn't too familiar with Rush's music and want a quick and easy way to get acquainted, these retrospectives are probably a good place to start. But these CDs don't have any previously unreleased material on them, so I can't see why a hardcore fan who owns all their studio albums would buy them. I only have Chronicles, and that's because it has the live version of "Bangkok" on it, which was left off the original CD release of ESL. Do any of you die-hards own all these compilations?

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 2 2005, 12:17 PM)
I'm pretty new to 2.gif , and Retrospective I was the first 2.gif album that I bought., followed by Retrospective II. I'm now starting to buy a lot of the studio albums.

What have you got up to now Invis?..I recomend Counterparts from the 90's

Physical Grafitti is also good tongue.gif

QUOTE (Huck @ May 2 2005, 06:30 AM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 2 2005, 12:17 PM)
I'm pretty new to  2.gif , and Retrospective I was the first  2.gif album that I bought., followed by Retrospective II. I'm now starting to buy a lot of the studio albums.

What have you got up to now Invis?..I recomend Counterparts from the 90's

Physical Grafitti is also good tongue.gif

Great. Everyone's bugging me now about the Zepplin thing.

Alright, here's my pathetic collection of studio albums:

-Caress of Steel

-Permanent Waves

-Moving Pictures new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

-Hold Your Fire

-Feedback

Coming soon-Signals, 2112, Counterparts

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ May 2 2005, 03:39 PM)
They need to release a b-sides/unreleased set. Like Pearl Jam's "Lost Dogs". I would go for that...

Yeah, I would like that, too.

An album with B-side music would be perfect for the rabid Rush fans.

Do they actually have any B-sides?

I remember reading the Vapor Trails mini-site and Neil said when they had doubts about all 13 songs not fitting onto disk they didn't really want to have to cut a song off because it was like losing a member of the family.

That may only apply for Vapor Trails or is it for all albums?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 2 2005, 12:51 AM)
For someone who isn't too familiar with Rush's music and want a quick and easy way to get acquainted, these retrospectives are probably a good place to start. But these CDs don't have any previously unreleased material on them, so I can't see why a hardcore fan who owns all their studio albums would buy them. I only have Chronicles, and that's because it has the live version of "Bangkok" on it, which was left off the original CD release of ESL. Do any of you die-hards own all these compilations?

my dad had retrospective I on CD, and thats the first rush CD i ever listened to...after that we bought The Spirit of Radio, and then I started buying some studio albums, i've got 18 now i think 2.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 6 2005, 05:47 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 2 2005, 03:17 AM)
I'm now starting to buy a lot of the studio albums.

Yeah, keep going in that direction. Don't worry about compilations.

Any live albums you would recommend? I'm thinking ESL, because Moving Pictures is my favorite album.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 6 2005, 07:06 PM)

Any live albums you would recommend? I'm thinking ESL, because Moving Pictures is my favorite album.

ESL is probably the worst sounding live album I have ever heard. Almost every track has a fade in-out to it, so it doesnt sound like a concert at all. ASOH is my personal favorite, simply because thier playing is in top form on that performance, and it has a ton of tunes that probably wont ever get played again live. ATWAS has some incredible performances on it, and Different Stages is phenominal in that it not only is a good idea of live material from the Counterparts/T4E tours, but it has a full show from the A Farewell To Kings tour, minus the tracks that appear on the other 2 discs of the set. RIR is the full Rio concert as well, if you are looking for a complete show.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 6 2005, 06:06 PM)

Their live albums can be summed up thus:

All the World's a Stage is their best live album IMO...some incredible performances as Moonraker said, and THE BEST VERSION OF 2112 EVER, INCLUDING THE STUDIO VERSION. I have it on vinyl too, and just got around to playing it on my parents' turntable yesterday. It's awesome.

Exit...Stage Left is easily their worst live album. Between every song theres a fade in and a fade out, and there is barely any crowd noise at all. And the live performances sound even more like the studio versions than the studio versions do. They could have released ESL as a greatest hits album and nobody would have known the difference. But if MP is your favorite album, go for it.

A Show of Hands is fun, although there's a bootleg available that combines the CD with the audio from the video (hunt this down too if you can) for an almost-complete version of the same show (still missing Limelight and Red Lenses). Although, I would still recommend getting ASOH because in addition to the Hold Your Fire tour stuff, there are great versions of Witch Hunt and Mystic Rhythms from the Power Windows tour. But then again, there are boots from the Power Windows tour that better this as well. If you're a fan of the Signals-HYF era, then this is worth picking up.

Different Stages is a 3 disc set. Look in used record shops, everywhere I go I see used copies for $12 or so which is really good for a 3-CD set. It makes me mad too, because I paid $28.99 for mine new. Discs 1 and 2 feature decent-to-great performances from the Counterparts and Test for Echo tours. The big draw here is their only complete live performance of 2112, but IMO Geddy sings it terribly. They have to take it down a key so he can sing it and he STILL sounds bad. But there are some goodies on here too. Natural Science, Neil's best drum solo IMO, Analog Kid, a terrific Closer to the Heart with a bass solo at the end, and YYZ with the Cygnus X-1 teaser on the end.

THEN we get to disc 3. Disc 3 is really what you NEED this album for. It has a show from 1978 on the Farewell to Kings tour (incomplete, but still awesome...) that is flawless from beginning to end. The bass on Bastille Day is mind-blowing, and it has great complete versions of Xanadu and Cygnus X-1. Get Different Stages for disc 3, but you will also find much to enjoy on the first 2. Plus, the packaging is cool, lots of live pics and a collage of old Rush memorabilia.

Rio is incredible. Such an energetic performance, and the band and crowd really seem to feed off each other. Get the DVD too.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 6 2005, 10:19 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 6 2005, 06:06 PM)

Their live albums can be summed up thus:

All the World's a Stage is their best live album IMO...some incredible performances as Moonraker said, and THE BEST VERSION OF 2112 EVER, INCLUDING THE STUDIO VERSION. I have it on vinyl too, and just got around to playing it on my parents' turntable yesterday. It's awesome.

Exit...Stage Left is easily their worst live album. Between every song theres a fade in and a fade out, and there is barely any crowd noise at all. And the live performances sound even more like the studio versions than the studio versions do. They could have released ESL as a greatest hits album and nobody would have known the difference. But if MP is your favorite album, go for it.

A Show of Hands is fun, although there's a bootleg available that combines the CD with the audio from the video (hunt this down too if you can) for an almost-complete version of the same show (still missing Limelight and Red Lenses). Although, I would still recommend getting ASOH because in addition to the Hold Your Fire tour stuff, there are great versions of Witch Hunt and Mystic Rhythms from the Power Windows tour. But then again, there are boots from the Power Windows tour that better this as well. If you're a fan of the Signals-HYF era, then this is worth picking up.

Different Stages is a 3 disc set. Look in used record shops, everywhere I go I see used copies for $12 or so which is really good for a 3-CD set. It makes me mad too, because I paid $28.99 for mine new. Discs 1 and 2 feature decent-to-great performances from the Counterparts and Test for Echo tours. The big draw here is their only complete live performance of 2112, but IMO Geddy sings it terribly. They have to take it down a key so he can sing it and he STILL sounds bad. But there are some goodies on here too. Natural Science, Neil's best drum solo IMO, Analog Kid, a terrific Closer to the Heart with a bass solo at the end, and YYZ with the Cygnus X-1 teaser on the end.

THEN we get to disc 3. Disc 3 is really what you NEED this album for. It has a show from 1978 on the Farewell to Kings tour (incomplete, but still awesome...) that is flawless from beginning to end. The bass on Bastille Day is mind-blowing, and it has great complete versions of Xanadu and Cygnus X-1. Get Different Stages for disc 3, but you will also find much to enjoy on the first 2. Plus, the packaging is cool, lots of live pics and a collage of old Rush memorabilia.

Rio is incredible. Such an energetic performance, and the band and crowd really seem to feed off each other. Get the DVD too.

ATWAS new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif So many great memories growing up with this CLASSIC ALBUM!!! which by the way started my 2.gif journey to this day and haven't looked back since trink39.gif

Archived