Time for Alex & Geddy to "assume control"

GeminiRising79

I strongly believe Rush needs to reconfigure their system of producing songs in terms of musical style and lyrical content. Enough has been said about the current, long-term tangent they've been on in both respects. I can't see the group deviating to any significant degree from this path they're on. What concerns me here is- and this is common knowledge of course- as we age as humans, we become less and less inclined to change our established ways and more inclined to stay in the comfort zone of familiarity. Is this where Rush has arrived and are taking root?

What are your opinions in this regard to Rush?

in b4 "Were lucky they're playing anything" (i.e., I'm happy with mediocrity because I have no standards, or, I'll take dung on a platter as long as its Rush"

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you referring to Neil's incessant whining about how God is a sham and anyone who beleives in God is a fool?

Yes it's getting quite old. I don't like being preached to by anyone and his anti-religion religion is quite tiresome. We get it Neil, Move on.

I yearn for the day of far strewn mythical lands, deep relational tomes and songs about space aliens rescuing distraught spelunkers from fascist automic governments.

I also the miss the odes to individualism and the get-up-off-yer-ass-and-do-something-for-yourself messages of self reliance where appropriate.

I more prefer the 'Party on Wayne" to the "Tonight we'll explore the

idiocy of theology because I'm much smarter than you".

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 25 2011, 10:32 AM)
I strongly believe Rush needs to reconfigure their system of producing songs in terms of musical style and lyrical content. Enough has been said about the current, long-term tangent they've been on in both respects. I can't see the group deviating to any significant degree from this path they're on. What concerns me here is- and this is common knowledge of course- as we age as humans, we become less and less inclined to change our established ways and more inclined to stay in the comfort zone of familiarity. Is this where Rush has arrived and are taking root?

What are your opinions in this regard to Rush?

in b4 "Were lucky they're playing anything" (i.e., I'm happy with mediocrity because I have no standards, or, I'll take dung on a platter as long as its Rush"

Short answer: no. Neil is the lyricist. Let him write what he wants to. I don't like, nor agree with, a lot of his lyrics either, but he is who he is.

Clem

As much as Neil influences the band with his writing, Geddy has said in the past that he needs to be able to identify with the lyrics that Neil puts in front of him and both he and Alex need to be able to write music around it. Given the time, and if an interviewer would actually ask an intelligent question once in a while, I'd bet the mortgage that there have been many occasions where Ged and Al simply said "no f_ckin' way." Much the same as Neil half jokingly told them he wouldn't present them with any new lyrics until they wrote an instrumental. If they had said "um,nah" do you really think Neil would have stopped writing lyrics?

We get it, the concept of someone speaking their mind about agnosticism makes you so terrified, you probably piss yourself every time you see the letters BU2B. You don't need to keep making topic after topic after topic after topic about it just because they get moved as spam. And for the record, Ged and Alex probably feel the same way.

As tiresome as Neil's anti-religion songs are becoming, I'd rather have him writing lyrics than Geddy and Alex. yes.gif

I more prefer the 'Party on Wayne" to the "Tonight we'll explore the idiocy of theology because I'm much smarter than you."

no.gif

I'd rather have "smarter than you" lyrics about theology than dumber-than-me lyrics like "Hey baby, it's a quarter to eight; I feel I'm in the mood."

Yeah, I hate when people beathorse.gif, like posting the same "Geddy and Alex need to take control back" / "Do Geddy and Alex know what kind of lyrics Neil is writing???" / "You guys I'm scared I think Neil is using atheist voodoo mind control on Geddy and Alex's innocent christian souls! HELP!!!!!" topics over and over....

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 25 2011, 03:43 PM)
We get it, the concept of someone speaking their mind about agnosticism makes you so terrified, you probably piss yourself every time you see the letters BU2B. You don't need to keep making topic after topic after topic after topic about it just because they get moved as spam. And for the record, Ged and Alex probably feel the same way.

When's the last time you had dem cheeks clapped properly? By the way it sounds, I'm guessing sometime in the late 80's.

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 25 2011, 05:06 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 25 2011, 04:57 PM)
When's the last time you had dem cheeks clapped properly? By the way it sounds, I'm guessing sometime in the late 80's.

Just shows the kind of mental giant we're dealing with here...

I'm just serving it to you at your level.

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 25 2011, 04:56 PM)
Yeah, I hate when people beathorse.gif, like posting the same "Geddy and Alex need to take control back" / "Do Geddy and Alex know what kind of lyrics Neil is writing???" / "You guys I'm scared I think Neil is using atheist voodoo mind control on Geddy and Alex's innocent christian souls! HELP!!!!!" topics over and over....

tongue.gif

Neil is a douche

Neil is the dictator of Rush, Geddy and Alex are his toadies

New Rush sucks

Rush is lazy and uninspired

Rush should go back to the good old days

Rush should call up Tery Brown

Neil should become born-again (like Neal Morse from Spock's Beard)

beathorse.gif

Did Geddy write the lyrics for My Favorite Headache?

If so, then I'd like to hear him write a few songs. The lyrics in songs like Working At Perfeckt, Slipping, and Still are great, imo. I'm not saying that Neil is a bad lyricist, or that Geddy's better than him, but I'd like them to mix it up a little bit.

Archived