• Please log in to reply
391 replies to this topic

#21 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jan 22 2011, 11:44 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 22 2011, 06:55 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jan 22 2011, 04:32 AM)
IDK about you, but the dinners I prepare are always things that I know the family will eat. Or at least, food that they won't fuss over. Everyone is very much into meat and potatoes. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

When it comes to lunch, I get to make whatever I want and don't have to worry about anyone else. I live for this meal.

Lunch today:

Octopus Salad
user posted image

Iíve never tried it before. It looked interesting. The taste was good but it was really chewy. Since I havenít had it before, Iím not quite sure if thatís what the texture is supposed to be like. I was imagining a much softer texture, like calamari.

Any way you eat octopus it's going to be chewy.  If you ever go to a Japanese restaurant stateside (I doubt they'd have it but) ask for takoyaki.  It's a kind of octopus dumpling that has batter surrounding the octopus core.  
Even better than that is deep fried octopus.   yes.gif

I read on the board somewhere that you're not much of a beer drinker BUT both of the octopus dishes I mentioned go extremely with beer  yes.gif  trink38.gif  yes.gif  trink38.gif

[edited to add]: Takoyaki is a local specialty here in Osaka so yeah, you can say that I've had it a million times.   smile.gif
But any Japanese person will know what it is no matter what.

i don't care how much beer i've had, it's not gong to make that dish look good to me. tongue.gif

20 years ago I would've been reluctant to try it too.  But you should try every food once  yes.gif  .  There's a lot of food that tastes great but doesn't look too pretty [see also: many Filipino dishes  wink.gif  ] yes.gif  

Sponsored Post

#22 The Owl

The Owl

Gary #2

• Members *
  • 13987 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

Just check my post from the "What's for Dinner" thread from the night before............... 90% of the time it is leftovers.  

#23 ReflectedLight

ReflectedLight

The Sphere

• Members
  • 8673 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 22 2011, 08:46 PM)
IDK about you, but the dinners I prepare are always things that I know the family will eat. Or at least, food that they won't fuss over. Everyone is very much into meat and potatoes. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

When it comes to lunch, I get to make whatever I want and don't have to worry about anyone else. I live for this meal.

Lunch today:

Octopus Salad
user posted image

Iíve never tried it before. It looked interesting. The taste was good but it was really chewy. Since I havenít had it before, Iím not quite sure if thatís what the texture is supposed to be like. I was imagining a much softer texture, like calamari.

Any way you eat octopus it's going to be chewy.  If you ever go to a Japanese restaurant stateside (I doubt they'd have it but) ask for takoyaki.  It's a kind of octopus dumpling that has batter surrounding the octopus core.  

I read on the board somewhere that you're not much of a beer drinker BUT both of the octopus dishes I mentioned go extremely with beer  yes.gif  trink38.gif  yes.gif  trink38.gif

[edited to add]: Takoyaki is a local specialty here in Osaka so yeah, you can say that I've had it a million times.   smile.gif

i don't care how much beer i've had, it's not gong to make that dish look good to me. tongue.gif

20 years ago I would've been reluctant to try it too.  But you should try every food once  yes.gif  .  There's a lot of food that tastes great but doesn't look too pretty [see also: many Filipino dishes  wink.gif  ] yes.gif

you've been watching too much bizarre foods with andrew zimmerman. tongue.gif  

#24 micgtr71

micgtr71

Axe Slinger

• Members
  • 5017 posts
  • Interests:Teaching guitar lessons, writing, drinking quality beers.

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:17 AM

Pizza with my son today!

#25 ReflectedLight

ReflectedLight

The Sphere

• Members
  • 8673 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

pork cutlets with melted mozzarella on a hero with tater tots. biggrin.gif  

#26 troutman

troutman

My views are fishy

• Members *
  • 44549 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jan 23 2011, 08:04 AM)
pork cutlets with melted mozzarella on a hero with tater tots. biggrin.gif

Can't go wrong with the tots! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

BLT with chips. biggrin.gif  

#27 Janie

Janie

Rush Caption Queen

• Members *
  • 16549 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 22 2011, 06:46 PM)

Lunch today:

Octopus Salad
user posted image

Couldn't agree more. But like I said, I had to live through nearly 20 years of my family's cooking and it was nothing but canned and boxed meals. To this day, I cannot eat that stuff. No more. And we were dirt poor so it was generic stuff too. Blech. Real milk was a treat. It was always that powdered stuff you mix with water. Oy.

Lunch time is when I get to experiment with food and so I do. I want to try everything. I've been surprised countless times by foods that didn't look appeasing but tasted amazing. Plus, I think a lot of times, people freak themselves out when it comes to food. Take calamari for example. When people hear it's squid, they shy away from it. Yet if you say deep fried calamari and someone said it was mini onion rings, I think many people would start scarfing them down. A lot of it's in your head. But then again, I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to a lot of things.

Lunch today was sushi. And it was hella yummy.

#28 The Owl

The Owl

Gary #2

• Members *
  • 13987 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jan 21 2011, 05:12 PM)
Anybody else know what forum this belongs in? wink.gif

I think TRF should go the Counterparts route and just make the "The Macallan" sub forum a combo Alcohol and Food forum.  

#29 Janie

Janie

Rush Caption Queen

• Members *
  • 16549 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 23 2011, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jan 21 2011, 05:12 PM)
Anybody else know what forum this belongs in? wink.gif

I think TRF should go the Counterparts route and just make the "The Macallan" sub forum a combo Alcohol and Food forum.

This debate has come up more than a few times, so, yeah, I would be game for it. Quite a number of us dig the grub.

#30 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jan 23 2011, 08:47 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 22 2011, 08:46 PM)

Lunch today:

Octopus Salad
user posted image

you've been watching too much bizarre foods with andrew zimmerman. tongue.gif

Actually, never heard of the guy.  But I can imagine.  

Put it this way: a few years ago I gave a few of my students a piece of chocolate with peanut butter spread on top of it.  Though you can get chocolate with peanut butter out here, many people still have never tried it because they think it's too sweet or an unusual combination.  Naturally, I didn't push them to try it.  I just encouraged them by saying, "You may like it if you taste a little bit."  Before those BRAVE ( wink.gif )ones took a bite of the peanut butter-covered chocolate, they were grimacing like they were about to eat a piece of human flesh.  Some loved it, some liked it, some thought it was just okay, while the non-eaters still couldn't bring themselves to eat the (what they IMAGINED to be) disgusting chocolate & peanut butter.  

I don't know.  I just think there's a world of food out there that people should try.  By eating new dishes (especially foreign ones), we can experience a piece of culture & history.  And this, I believe, is a good thing.  

#31 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (Janie @ Jan 24 2011, 06:56 AM)

Lunch today:

Octopus Salad
user posted image

Couldn't agree more. But like I said, I had to live through nearly 20 years of my family's cooking and it was nothing but canned and boxed meals. To this day, I cannot eat that stuff. No more. And we were dirt poor so it was generic stuff too. Blech. Real milk was a treat. It was always that powdered stuff you mix with water. Oy.

Lunch time is when I get to experiment with food and so I do. I want to try everything. I've been surprised countless times by foods that didn't look appeasing but tasted amazing. Plus, I think a lot of times, people freak themselves out when it comes to food. Take calamari for example. When people hear it's squid, they shy away from it. Yet if you say deep fried calamari and someone said it was mini onion rings, I think many people would start scarfing them down. A lot of it's in your head. But then again, I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to a lot of things.

I'd seriously recommend that you take a trip to Asia (especially southeast Asia) if you're interested in trying some kick-ass dishes that you can't get stateside.  

As for sushi, even the word itself sounds more appetizing (& a lot classier) than raw fish doesn't it?  Good stuff  yes.gif
trink38.gif  

#32 1 of the 7

1 of the 7

Geddy, Geddy, Gumdrops!

• Members
  • 11919 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:27 AM

Chicken soup with extra noodles. Just the ticket when it's 1 degree out and I think I may be getting a cold from the heat coming on too much and drying out my nose!

#33 Janie

Janie

Rush Caption Queen

• Members *
  • 16549 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 23 2011, 10:16 PM)

Lunch today:

Octopus Salad
user posted image

I'd seriously recommend that you take a trip to Asia (especially southeast Asia) if you're interested in trying some kick-ass dishes that you can't get stateside.  

As for sushi, even the word itself sounds more appetizing (& a lot classier) than raw fish doesn't it?  Good stuff  yes.gif
trink38.gif

I would love to do a food tour of southeast Asia!

I'm going to Uwajimaya today to see if they have takoyaki. I googled it to see what it looks like and I cannot wait to try it! It looks fantastic.

#34 syrinxpriest 2112

syrinxpriest 2112

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1271 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

I had Kebab and Markook with some of the Iraqi local-nationals today, so...that's basically dog meat and flatbread.

And the make some damn fine dog.  ph34r.gif  

#35 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

Natural Science Theater 3000

• Members
  • 16321 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

Campbell's Spaghetti/Meatballs for 59 cents at 99 Cent Store.  I've been doing this during my college session days regularly due to rough economy.  Good thing I got my pell check coming in two days.

#36 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (Janie @ Jan 25 2011, 03:19 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 23 2011, 10:16 PM)

Lunch today:

Octopus Salad
user posted image

trink38.gif

I would love to do a food tour of southeast Asia!

I'm going to Uwajimaya today to see if they have takoyaki. I googled it to see what it looks like and I cannot wait to try it! It looks fantastic.

Eat them IMMEDIATELY yes.gif .  Any kind of waiting time and they're not that good no.gif  .
trink39.gif  

#37 ColdFireYYZ

ColdFireYYZ

Prog Hipster

• Members
  • 6174 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

Because school lunch sucks, after school I had Youvetsi (Greek dish - orzo and beef w/ tomato sauce & grated cheese). My grandmother used to make it all the time and I grew up eating it. It tastes really good, especially in 0 degree weather.  

#38 1 of the 7

1 of the 7

Geddy, Geddy, Gumdrops!

• Members
  • 11919 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

Salisbury steak and mac & cheese.

#39 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

Natural Science Theater 3000

• Members
  • 16321 posts