Rare footage.

snowdog2112

I'm archiving a bunch of old Rush stuff I've had on VHS for years. I hadn't even seen some of this stuff in probably 15 or more years since I started buying bootlegs in the early 90s. I've collected a huge amount of stuff from the web over the years but basically forgot I had this other footage in a box. Anyway, in going through it I realized that there's quite a number of things that I've never seen on youtube or anywhere else on the web. However, not being any sort of computer whiz or audio/video engineer this process has been much more tedious and time consuming than I realized it would be. I've had obstacles copying the VHS's onto dvd, editing down the full videos into youtube-sized chunks, and uploading them once I've got them.

But I just uploaded my very first video I've ever put on youtube for a test.

So my question is, is there any interest in seeing a bunch of rare interview/documentary footage (some very brief and others quite extensive) mostly from the 80s and 90s or should I just archive it for myself and not bother with the extra work? It's going to be a bitch but I'm happy to share provided there are no technical obstacles and enough people want to see this stuff.

Here's a short interview with Alex after a show in Germany during the Roll the Bones tour (I hope, provided I did everything correctly). The first few seconds are a little rough. It's in English with German subtitles.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
+1 here, i'd definitely love to see whatever footage you've got. (And thanks in advance for the time and trouble it takes to do this!)

Dude, the two videos that you have up are awesome! In all my years of fandom (ONLY 17+ years being a fan, so I am a mere youngster to some around these parts! cool.gif ) and in searching for Rush videos, I have NEVER seen these! Thanks for taking the time! I will watch for more, no question! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Great stuff. I have 3 video tapes that I got about 15 years or so ago with old stuff on it. Found one. Just have to find the other 2. Have no idea what's on them though. I think there's a cartoon on there using The Body Electric

Well, damn it. The second video I uploaded last night already got the audio deleted. Can I avoid this by setting my videos to private or something? That's really discouraging.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm doing what I can. This second video I just uploaded is about 12 total minutes of interview footage with Geddy and Alex about the Roll the Bones album followed by footage of them making the RTB video followed by interview footage with Neil on the set. Also brief footage with the director and even the kid in the video. Unfortunately, no one can hear it now.

I'm now considering maybe just trying to put this stuff on rapidshare or something for people to download.

Be patient with me, I'm trying but this is all new to me. And frustrating.

I'm going to go ahead and post the link for those who haven't seen it yet. THE AUDIO HAS BEEN DELETED ALREADY, I KNOW THIS. But at least you guys can see what footage it is until I find another solution. Sadly, a lot of the stuff I have is off of Muchmusic so I'm probably going to have this problem over and over on youtube.

I'm working on it. I know there's a whole lot of stuff that everyone would like to see.

Ok, I just sent Ed over at the RushisaBand blog a note to get his help.

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Jan 18 2011, 10:13 AM)
Post more! Try the second one again. I watched the first Roll the Bones one. Is it just me or did Alex kind of look like a return to old school 70's in that interview? smile.gif

I promise I'm doing what I can. The fact that people are excited to see this stuff is motivating. One way or another it'll all be available reasonably soon. I kind of thought maybe most wouldn't care if it wasn't actual rare concert footage (although there is a bit of that here and there). Glad I was wrong.

And I'm making no guarantees or offering protection against shocking images of hair and clothing! laugh.gif

Of course it all looks normal and cool to me because in the 80s and 90s I was in my teens and twenties. I remember when I first saw the GUP show in 1985 and thought "Man, thank god they look so normal now compared to that goofy-looking ESL concert". And of course people laugh at their look in the GUP show now. Still looks relatively normal to me. Not that I dress like that now, though. smile.gif

Ok, back to work!

Alright, I just converted that second RTB clip from a VTS file to a AVI file which not only should make it easier to play for most people but it also shrunk the file size down from around 380MB to around 78MB. I'm uploading it to rapidshare right now, we'll see if that works for everybody. I realize everybody has their preferred place to download stuff from but rapidshare is the only one I've used before and so for now to keep it as simple as possible that's what I'll use. I'll be back shortly with a link and get some feedback from you guys. Please try to keep name-calling to a minimum. I realize some of you would do it differently. I'm learning on the job and unless you guys want to donate it's all free wink.gif I'm open to simple constructive advice though.

Back in a sec...

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 18 2011, 10:53 AM)
Yikes. Alex has physically changed so much, so many times. I wish he'd lose the weight so he'd look better.

I've realized over the years that it has mostly to do with the tours for him. Look at the difference between the video discussing the RTB album vs. footage of him at the end of the tour. It's almost always that way for every tour although he seemed to stay about the same throughout the S&A tour. I think he really does put a good amount of effort into staying in shape most of the time but he clearly eats and drinks a lot during the tours. Compare him on the R30 dvd at the end of that tour for example then see him here about a year after the tour. It's like night and day.

Not one of my videos and there is a brief ad. Just for illustrating my point. I think he was at his heaviest at the end of the R30 tour and yet here he's damn near skinny a year later! He just enjoys himself on the road. Or gets bored.

Ok, now back to me. smile.gif

Here's the link. Let me know if I did this right. Again, this is the second video I described above.

http://rapidshare.com/files/443261324/RushRTB.avi

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 18 2011, 07:53 AM)
Yikes. Alex has physically changed so much, so many times.  I wish he'd lose the weight so he'd look better.

Why are you and others so obsessed with how the band members look? wacko.gif I can never understand this. It's called life and people change as they age. wink.gif

BTW, nice footage snowdog2112 2.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 18 2011, 12:18 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 18 2011, 10:53 AM)
Yikes. Alex has physically changed so much, so many times.  I wish he'd lose the weight so he'd look better.

I've realized over the years that it has mostly to do with the tours for him. Look at the difference between the video discussing the RTB album vs. footage of him at the end of the tour. It's almost always that way for every tour although he seemed to stay about the same throughout the S&A tour. I think he really does put a good amount of effort into staying in shape most of the time but he clearly eats and drinks a lot during the tours. Compare him on the R30 dvd at the end of that tour for example then see him here about a year after the tour. It's like night and day.

Not one of my videos and there is a brief ad. Just for illustrating my point. I think he was at his heaviest at the end of the R30 tour and yet here he's damn near skinny a year later! He just enjoys himself on the road. Or gets bored.

Ok, now back to me. smile.gif

Here's the link. Let me know if I did this right. Again, this is the second video I described above.

http://rapidshare.com/files/443261324/RushRTB.avi

Thanks, Snowdog. I do remember seeing Alex so big that he looked like he was bursting at the seams. I wonder how his cholesterol level is.

Archived