Rare footage.

snowdog2112

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 19 2011, 01:40 AM)
Great stuff, can't wait to see/hear more!

Loved it! cool.gif 2.gif

Ok, I'm back. I hate to sound like a whiner but it's just comical the number of technical problems I've had. As just one example, I've copied all my VHS tapes in the same way on the same VHS/DVD machine and I figured out a way to trim, edit, and convert and so on for free with no watermark or time restrictions. That's what I did on the Roll the Bones doc. So what happens? The very next tape I put in using the exact same method gets me some "invalid dvd structure" even though it plays just fine like the previous one. I tried new software to convert the entire vob file structure to an AVI format but then the audio was no longer synced up so it looked like some 70s era martial arts movie the way their mouths moving had no connection to what you were hearing. So then I tried another converter. It worked great until I realized that it would only do 2 minute edits with the free version. Basically, it's just been insane.

So here's the deal, I just found another editor/ripper/converter etc. that seems to be working well and is easy to use. The only problem is that there's going to be a small watermark in the center until I find a better way. This won't affect me much because my own goal in all this was simply copying all my VHSs onto dvd. That's been relatively easy. But as far as making these watchable for the rest of you you'll just have to deal with the watermark for now.

Also, I think I'm going to try to upload what I can to youtube and if it gets pulled or gets muted again then I'll upload to Rapidshare as necessary.

Thanks for the replies last night so at least I know it worked. From around noon until late last night no one actually said they tried the link, I'm glad it worked and I didn't waste my time.

Ok, enough bitching right? laugh.gif

See if this works. For those of you who don't know, if you have realplayer installed you can just pass the mouse over the youtube screen and it will ask you if you want to download the video to your hard drive. That way you can save what you want.

This clip is about as bad as they get in terms of video quality but it's watchable. It's the Toronto Music Awards from around the time of Presto followed by Rush winning the Toronto mayor's award.

If this works and is acceptable to you guys I'll try to upload several other things today. smile.gif

Let me know what you think.

Thanks Nobody's Hero!

Ok, this is a compilation of various interviews from the Power Windows era. Mostly various clips of Geddy on MTV and Mark Goodman and there's a short interview with Alex at the end in what appears to be England about recording Power Windows. You guys have to understand that this footage is the way I got it. It jumps around a bit and has bits cut off, that's just the way it is. I promise I'm editing all these so every frame I have is being preserved.

This almost certainly won't stay up long because of the MTV content. Watch quickly!

Set the wayback machine! laugh.gif

Ok, maybe someone else can tell me exactly what this is. It's obviously an awards show (Juno, maybe?) around what looks to be the Signals era. It's pretty short. The record company guy just cracks me up. He defines "tool". Oh well, I'm sure he thought he was cool. The guys in Rush are funny as usual.

Have fun!

Cool, Geddy with his mullet!

You know I had no idea they had an additional keyboard player (Andy Richards) on Power Windows until I saw that interview. I leaped up and got out my Power Windows CD and there was his name. According to Wikipedia he was also used on Hold Your Fire.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 19 2011, 12:50 PM)
Interestingly enough, the Canadian presenter in the Toronto Awards addresses Neil as "Neil Purt", lol. So much for those damned Americans!

Btw, I can't believe Sir Alex was bumped at this award. I bet the synthesizers were responsible for that one!!

What's funny to me is Sebastian Bach openly cheering for Rush while waiting for the winner to be announced. laugh.gif

QUOTE (druid13 @ Jan 19 2011, 02:45 PM)
are there any clips where Alex's hair does not suck so much?

Hey, we all looked like that in the 80s! laugh.gif

I'd still take that 80s look over this modern "I haven't washed or combed my hair in 4 years" look.

Ok, here's another one. This includes footage of the Tears Are Not Enough charity video which some of you may have seen before but this one also has a decent amount of interview footage with Geddy from the shoot. From 1985.

Absolutely! We Rushians love this stuff. I have done a great deal of painstaking research and have found many things in the treasure chest that is YouTube, but even I haven't seen everything. Any rare and older footage you have on VHS is certainly worth sharing. Please do. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thank you very much for your time and effort. And for being a devoted Rushian in the first place. cool.gif

QUOTE (NobodysHeroine @ Jan 19 2011, 03:21 PM)
Absolutely! We Rushians love this stuff. I have done a great deal of painstaking research and have found many things in the treasure chest that is YouTube, but even I haven't seen everything. Any rare and older footage you have on VHS is certainly worth sharing. Please do. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thank you very much for your time and effort. And for being a devoted Rushian in the first place. cool.gif

Glad you're enjoying it. More on the way. Keep the feedback coming, grab a pillow because we're going to be here a while. smile.gif

QUOTE (Rushcat @ Jan 19 2011, 03:47 PM)
Amazing More more more please. By the way that interview with Alex was from a now defunct British Programme Old Grey Whistle Test. I saw it at a fan convention five years ago although ive been a fan for the past eight years cat.gif cat.gif cat.gif

Ok, thanks for that! I've actually got some dvds of The Old Grey Whistle Test but never guessed that this interview was from that show, that makes sense. Thanks! Stay tuned for more!

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 19 2011, 02:10 PM)
Ok, here's another one. This includes footage of the Tears Are Not Enough charity video which some of you may have seen before but this one also has a decent amount of interview footage with Geddy from the shoot. From 1985.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVYPrnt2lI8

how bout a little more passion eh? laugh.gif

Ok, I'm uploading another one. In the meantime I need some help from anybody who can. I cannot find a copy of Neil's appearance on VH1 Classic's Hangin' With show from when Roadshow came out. I watched it on TV but was unable to record it then and have not seen it anywhere on the internet. Can someone help me out with a copy? Also, Geddy Lee was on the Pamela Wallin show around 1999 and I've never seen any of it. I would really like to have a copy if someone can help. Thanks!

The next one will be done in a minute.

Moving on...

Here's a video of the Toronto Arts Awards. I'm usually good at telling the period but I'd say this could be anywhere from 1990 to 1994. Does anybody know for sure? Anyway, there's a short profile of Rush including footage of their parents (which is cool because Alex's dad was still alive at the time) and an appearance by Neil and Geddy. I remember telling someone when the recent BTLS doc came out that I had seen their parents interviewed before and I was told I didn't know what I was talking about. Well, I did know what I was talking about. wink.gif

Hope you like it!

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jan 19 2011, 04:22 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 19 2011, 02:10 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVYPrnt2lI8

how bout a little more passion eh? laugh.gif

Yeah, I loved that. laugh.gif

Archived