Subdivisions: A Tribute to Rush

Alsgalpal

Eh I heard it's less than stellar. schla03.gif

...Listening to it right now.

On the up side, it is nice that Rush gets the attention. It is a good sign that the company thinks it can make money.

It's also good to hear different versions of old tunes.

The cover is cool.

I promised myself I would stay positive, so that is all I will say.

I listened to parts of the songs on Amazon, and they sounded pretty good. I think the artists did a good job... I was just wondering what others thought of it all.

It's really cool to hear different versions of the songs, but sometimes I think they should have left it alone or did something different, such as use a guitar instead of keyboards for the Spirit of Radio and A Farewell to Kings intros (I kept thinking 'and the guitar should come in right about... now.... ok maybe now... now?... ok then...').

They did do some intesting and pretty sweet add-ons to songs like Lakeside Park (heart.gif) and Limelight.

In the end, the good outweighs the bad and I think every 2.gif fan should have it 653.gif

OK, I lied, I will get negative....

There are two ways to approach covers: 1) Stay faithful, 2) Do something cool and original. I don't hear a whole lot of either here. The neat thing about red star is that the versions are so off the wall, it is cool. Here, the versions are pretty much re-casts, which is too bad.

Also, while it is great to hear someone that can play guitar 50x faster than alex, who cares. I got enough of this in the 80s. It is odd to put pop-metal guitarists and bands up to cover Rush.

However, everyone should buy it and listen to it to see what THEY think. If no one buys this stuff, peopel think no one cares about rush. Further, there are (in my previous post) some reasons to like it. Yet, I have heard bands in bars to more interesting versions.

QUOTE (keenanj @ Apr 27 2005, 08:18 AM)
Also, while it is great to hear someone that can play guitar 50x faster than alex, who cares. I got enough of this in the 80s. It is odd to put pop-metal guitarists and bands up to cover Rush.

yes.gif , it's like a trade off... feeling for speed (in some cases, not all).

I just find it depressing that there hasn't been a legitimate RUSH tribute cd with big name rockers. Hard to understand since so many have said RUSH was a major influence to alot of them. I wish someone would step up to the plate! confused13.gif

Strange, rap-ish Industrial band "Mindless Self Indulgence" has a cover of Tom Sawyer on their latest album "You'll Rebel to Anything". Im very interested in hearing it, although I dont like other MSI stuff. My friend went to their show recently and said they did the cover live. He said the basic song structure was intact and all, just not as technical or anything. I believe he said the vocalist was just having fun with it.

I plan to go buy Red Star used for $6.99 soon...

It is different, not my thing, but at least inventive. That is all I ask for. I also like that there is a crossover in genre. The problem with the subdivisions album is that it is rockers covering rockers. It is tough to do. Great covers often crossover genres...

jpk

Archived