Test For Echo Live

Oracle

While listening to 'Different Stages' today, I started thinking why Rush never released a live video from the 'Test For Echo' tour. We can all guess that this was the last time '2112' was played in full. Why wouldn't the band have the foresight to film and release it? Were any shows even filmed?

One of the shows at Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto were filmed in 1997 for a DVD release (which was a new format at the time). Other than the Closer To The Heart promo video that was released, the footage has never seen the light of day. Apparently there were issues syncing the audio and video, however I'm not totally sure on why the release was shelved.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jan 10 2011, 11:17 PM)
While listening to 'Different Stages' today, I started thinking why Rush never released a live video from the 'Test For Echo' tour. We can all guess that this was the last time '2112' was played in full. Why wouldn't the band have the foresight to film and release it? Were any shows even filmed?

It was the only tour it was played in full, all other tours had sections missing. And yes, like Bigman208 said, Toronto was filmed and you can see some of it in that Closer to the Heart video from 1998. The audio was the same as the album though, from Chicago.

There were some technical issues as mentioned but it's always been a little unclear if it's fixable or not.

The only specific time a bandmember has commented on it was Geddy in 2006:

The first Toronto show of the Test for Echo tour was filmed with intentions of releasing it as a live DVD; those plans were shelved as problems with the sound recording would have cost Rush $150,000 just to sync up another recording with the video, not to mention the enourmous time involved: "...we have other things in the vault as well, such as a concert that we recorded on the Test For Echo tour, with which we weren't satisfied at the time, but that's been replaced by its historical value." - Geddy Lee, Aardschok Magazine, March 2006

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/main/DSlyrics.htm#albumnews

So the bottom line seems to be that the Toronto audio is ruined, if they release it they'll have to sync up audio from another show or shows. In essence, it'll be a little bit fake because even though you could sync it up just fine so no one would be able to tell, what you'd see and hear would still be from two different sources. I'd still want it though.

Oh yeah, I'm going to go back and look to be sure but I think in the Rush documentary when they're talking about Neil and Freddy they show a brief clip of Neil's solo from the TFE tour. This is almost certainly also from that Toronto show.

Yeah, having looked at it again I think it's also from the aborted dvd. It's between 8:14 and 8:20 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jShY8x4nyc&feature=related

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jan 10 2011, 11:34 PM)
I remember I used to get frustrated at the lack of videos Rush released ov their concerts. There was just ESL, GUP, and A Show of Hands...then nothing in the 90's for some reason.

But now they've gone in the opposite direction and release a video for every tour!

Me too and I'm happy about that! And now that we've got 2 proshot shows from the Presto tour and 1 from the Counterparts tour (and at least 1 more CP show unleaked) if we could just get the Different Stages dvd released and the other Auburn Hills proshot show from the RTB tour (it was clearly filmed, I can't understand why it's never leaked but there's still some hope I guess) we'll have all the 90s tours available too, more or less professionally filmed. The more the better as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 11 2011, 01:24 AM)
This tour was the first time I ever saw Rush, and I really wish there was an official video documenting it. One of the best setlists ever, including 2112 in its entirety!

Same here. I was so stoked that I FINALLY got to see them (they don't visit Idaho very often, and I was too young to drive myself the 4 hours to Salt Lake City in 1994 for the CP tour sad.gif ). It was an amazing tour. I smile whenever I think about that show. Yes, I would LOVE to see this DVD come to light one day, but I'm not holding my breath. no.gif

On another note, where can I find those Presto shows?! cool.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jan 11 2011, 01:35 AM)
This tour was the first time I ever saw Rush, and I really wish there was an official video documenting it. One of the best setlists ever, including 2112 in its entirety!

Same here. I was so stoked that I FINALLY got to see them (they don't visit Idaho very often, and I was too young to drive myself the 4 hours to Salt Lake City in 1994 for the CP tour sad.gif ). It was an amazing tour. I smile whenever I think about that show. Yes, I would LOVE to see this DVD come to light one day, but I'm not holding my breath. no.gif

I was reading your profile, you saw them just 9 days after I did. May 10th 97 in Devore (San Bernardino) CA. I also saw the 96 show in San Diego, but 97 was the best I think.

There are a lot of Presto tour vids on youtube.

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jan 11 2011, 12:35 AM)

Your best bet is to go to the Different Stages section of the forum and look around there or ask for the full shows or a link to a torrent. If you just want to see what they're like there are some clips on youtube.

Here's War Paint from the Auburn Hills proshot on 3/8/90:

And here's War Paint from Mountain View on 6/27/90:

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 11 2011, 01:53 AM)

I was reading your profile, you saw them just 9 days after I did. May 10th 97 in Devore (San Bernardino) CA. I also saw the 96 show in San Diego, but 97 was the best I think.

I was at those same shows!

Doesn't Devore totally SUCK???? We were late for teh start because that damn arena is out in the middle of BFE, and there's like 1 entrance to get in. Must have taken us 1 hour just to get off the freeway and into the actual arena.

That was the first and last time I've been there and thankfully it was also the last time Rush played there

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jan 11 2011, 11:47 AM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 11 2011, 01:53 AM)

I was at those same shows!

Doesn't Devore totally SUCK???? We were late for teh start because that damn arena is out in the middle of BFE, and there's like 1 entrance to get in. Must have taken us 1 hour just to get off the freeway and into the actual arena.

That was the first and last time I've been there and thankfully it was also the last time Rush played there

yeah and remember the renaissance fair that was going on at the same time? lol

I'd love for the band to do whatever it could to get this video out to the fans. That tour was the closest I've ever been at a show--second row at Glen Helen (SoCal) in May (I think) of '97. I was right in front of Ged, and I swear he laughed at me a couple of times when I sang in sync with him on certain tunes--ones that he now sings different live.

2.gif

QUOTE (gedfan @ Jan 11 2011, 09:19 PM)
I'd love for the band to do whatever it could to get this video out to the fans. That tour was the closest I've ever been at a show--second row at Glen Helen (SoCal) in May (I think) of '97. I was right in front of Ged, and I swear he laughed at me a couple of times when I sang in sync with him on certain tunes--ones that he now sings different live.

2.gif

that's the same show we were discussing above... Glen Helen pavilion in Devore. Awesome show, shitty venue. Am I the only one who remembers the renaissance fair? You practically had to walk through it to get to the show.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 11 2011, 09:21 PM)
QUOTE (gedfan @ Jan 11 2011, 09:19 PM)
I'd love for the band to do whatever it could to get this video out to the fans.  That tour was the closest I've ever been at a show--second row at Glen Helen (SoCal) in May (I think) of '97.  I was right in front of Ged, and I swear he laughed at me a couple of times when I sang in sync with him on certain tunes--ones that he now sings different live. 

2.gif

that's the same show we were discussing above... Glen Helen pavilion in Devore. Awesome show, shitty venue. Am I the only one who remembers the renaissance fair? You practically had to walk through it to get to the show.

don't remember that actually...i do remember it being a pain to get in/out every time i've been there...still, it's the venue--and only rush concert--where i had second row seats wub.gif

QUOTE (bigman208 @ Jan 11 2011, 12:21 AM)
One of the shows at Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto were filmed in 1997 for a DVD release (which was a new format at the time). Other than the Closer To The Heart promo video that was released, the footage has never seen the light of day. Apparently there were issues syncing the audio and video, however I'm not totally sure on why the release was shelved.

As someone who attended one of the shows at the Molson amphitheater in 1997 I have a theory as to why a DVD of the show was never released.

It was the lamest crowd i've ever been a part of at a rock show. They sat down for the whole thing. Not exactly a good visual to document on film for years to come is it? I can only imagine how disappointed Geddy and Alex must've been that their home city didn't give them the respect and enthusiasm they deserved. You could see that they weren't as into the show as they usually are because of that.

It's too bad since we don't have video documentation of 2112 in full. They also had a cool effect during T4E where they had satellites on the back of the stage like on the album cover that shot lasers out.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jan 11 2011, 10:12 PM)

As someone who attended one of the shows at the Molson amphitheater in 1997 I have a theory as to why a DVD of the show was never released.

It was the lamest crowd i've ever been a part of at a rock show. They sat down for the whole thing. Not exactly a good visual to document on film for years to come is it? I can only imagine how disappointed Geddy and Alex must've been that their home city didn't give them the respect and enthusiasm they deserved. You could see that they weren't as into the show as they usually are because of that.

It's too bad since we don't have video documentation of 2112 in full. They also had a cool effect during T4E where they had satellites on the back of the stage like on the album cover that shot lasers out.

Wasn't it also the last show of the tour? Probably not the best choice of show for filming.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 11 2011, 10:13 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jan 11 2011, 10:12 PM)

Wasn't it also the last show of the tour? Probably not the best choice of show for filming.

It was towards the end but it wasn't the last show. The band sounded fine but there's no excuse for the crowd to be like that. If both shows at the Molson amphitheater had crowds like that and i'm guessing it did, then why would you wanna release a live DVD where the crowd is just sitting there doing nothing? They stood up and cheered when they came out and stood up for some of the big hits when the songs started but other than that nothing.

Nobody even cared about 2112 after Overture/TOS at that show either.

QUOTE (Grover @ Jan 12 2011, 08:24 AM)
Until the Vapor Trails tour, at every show in Toronto from 1981 to 1996, the audience has sat down after the first song until the encore. I prefer it that way, then I can see.

I heard it was a Canadian custom to do that but I saw The Rolling Stones at the Skydome in 2002 and everyone stood for the whole thing so i'm not sure what the hell is going on when it comes to audiences up there unsure.gif

I don't mind if i'm seeing Billy Joel or Meat Loaf and the crowd sits. In fact, that was the case when I saw both of them live years ago. The music is more mellow so it's understandable that people would sit for the show.

But sitting for a rock band who's playing in front of 20,000 people in their hometown? Sorry, that just never made sense to me at all confused13.gif

QUOTE (Cygnals @ Jan 12 2011, 02:21 PM)
Sitting down at a 2.gif concert? Unfathomable!

It's called being old laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 12 2011, 02:38 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnals @ Jan 12 2011, 02:21 PM)
Sitting down at a  2.gif concert? Unfathomable!

It's called being old laugh.gif

Except at the show I went to it wasn't just the old timers sitting down. I wouldn't have taken issue with it if that was the case. Everyone in the reserved seating area was sitting, no matter what age they were.

Archived