James Patterson

theredtamasrule

This stuff is like literary crack or twinkies or potato chips. I want to stop reading and put it down but for god's sake I can't. It's such insipid tripe yet there I am flipping thru the 2 page chapters and chuckling at the dreadful dialogue. I mean this stuff is awful. Yet I read it and he's a bazillionaire.

cool10.gif

Feel the same way you do. Even after I get to the end and say, "that's it?" Never fails though. Invariably, I will pick up another one of his and slam through it at lightning speed forgoing sleep to do so. I think I may be jealous of him.

At least you guys recognize that it's not LITERATURE you're reading, despite the fact you love reading it.

His novels featuring Alex Cross have been popular for over ten years and continue to be. (BTW, can I say that Morgan Freeman is nothing like the Alex Cross of the books? Way too old, for one thing.) I've read a couple Patterson books, and have been tempted to read his "Women's Murder Club" series - going so far as to buy those books at garage sales when I see them. So I've got the books, but haven't read them.

I think Patterson is getting even MORE populist and less "literary" as he goes. He's cranking them out now, and they're probably getting worse in quality.

Library patrons can't get enough Patterson - there are holds on the new books months in advance. I never see the new books.

Anyway, He's a hen! Lift up James, there's probably another book underneath him! tongue.gif

Back in middle school I was obsessed beyond belief with the Maximum Ride series. Yeah, I know it's not literature but it's darned entertaining. I loved those books, and as I got older, I started reading some of the other things Patterson's written.

I still think it's pretty cool he wrote a YA series that was not only action-packed but had a really neat female protagonist. Of course, that could just be a marketing ploy to make sure that all those preteens and teenagers would keep reading his books as they got older. xP

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 10 2011, 05:11 AM)
At least you guys recognize that it's not LITERATURE you're reading, despite the fact you love reading it.

His novels featuring Alex Cross have been popular for over ten years and continue to be. (BTW, can I say that Morgan Freeman is nothing like the Alex Cross of the books? Way too old, for one thing.) I've read a couple Patterson books, and have been tempted to read his "Women's Murder Club" series - going so far as to buy those books at garage sales when I see them. So I've got the books, but haven't read them.

I think Patterson is getting even MORE populist and less "literary" as he goes. He's cranking them out now, and they're probably getting worse in quality.

Yes on Freeman, far too old. There's a new movie in production (simply called Cross, I think) with a new, younger actor playing the lead.

And yes to the production line "writing". He now also "co-authors" books with others and I have one called 4th of July written with Maxine Paetro...it is truly awful. I can't read it. Clearly this Paetro lady did the writing. It is bad.

We pick them up at Goodwill's and garage sales. No way in hell I pay retail for this junk....but I just finished Kiss The Girls.

And yes again about the endings never living up to expectations. All I've read so far ends pretty flat.

I'm planning to read 2 Alex Cross novels this month. Say whatever you want about James Patterson. You can't deny that the man is prolific. He's also the most generous man in modern literature. His foundation provides scholarships to 22 different universities. He also donates millions to school libraries and bookstores. He has helped more aspiring writers than any other living author. If you're looking for someone to jump start your writing career, then Patterson is the man you need, not Stephen King.

Never read Patterson. I used to read Grisham's books but they were all the same. Tom Clancy's last few books sucked. I love Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels, even though one could argue they're all the same. I had also read the Preston & Child series with FBI Agent Pendergast, but they're starting to drag as well. Need some new stuff.

I like James Patterson. The categories of books I read of his are: "Alex Cross", "Michael Bennett", "Private", "N.Y.P.D. Red", and "Standalone". I couldn't start getting into the rest of them like "Women's Murder Club", and "For Adults and Teens". Edited by Derek19