What's For Dinner?

The Owl

Salmon fish cakes

Did you make them? If so, what recipe did you use?

Sadly no, I got these ones from my good friends Marks & Spencer! But they were very tasty. I guess I could make a stab at making them - too lazy I guess!

I like my food but my culinary skills are limited - I can do stews, pasta dishes, chilli, stir fries etc. I haven't tried fishcakes.

• Like 1

Salmon fish cakes

Sadly no, I got these ones from my good friends Marks & Spencer! But they were very tasty. I guess I could make a stab at making them - too lazy I guess!

I like my food but my culinary skills are limited - I can do stews, pasta dishes, chilli, stir fries etc. I haven't tried fishcakes.

My culinary skills are limited too. My mother was a fabulous cook - unfortunately, I did not inherit her skill, my sister did.

I hate following recipes because, even though I do as it says, somehow it turns into a disaster. Kind of like my life.

• Like 1

Salmon fish cakes

My culinary skills are limited too. My mother was a fabulous cook - unfortunately, I did not inherit her skill, my sister did.

I hate following recipes because, even though I do as it says, somehow it turns into a disaster. Kind of like my life.

My mother also. We used to go visiting every Monday on the pretense of just wanting to see her (and my dad when he was alive). But really it was to stay for one of her lovely dinners.

In recent years it has gotten too much for her to cook for several people, so we miss her lovely dinners.

Of course now, we cannot see her at all. Covid restrictions mean that we are currently not allowed to visit. I hope we can manage something for Christmas.

• Like 1

We had t-bones and mashed red pots and fried up brussel sprouts.

That’s the best way to have brussel sprouts imho

I love 'em either boiled or fried, but they are better fried. Next time, I'm going to cut up some onion and fry them with it.

I love 'em either boiled or fried, but they are better fried. Next time, I'm going to cut up some onion and fry them with it.

I like them fried with sundried tomatoes

I like them fried with sundried tomatoes

I threw a handful of them in the stew I made today, along with cauliflower and broccoli. It was delicious!!!

• Like 1

I know, long time no see, but I wanted to share a healthy low fat recipe with you that is so delicious....trust me. Plus, don't let the list of ingredients seem like a lot. It's simple and you'll have leftovers for a few days.

Lentil soup

2 tbls olive oil or your choice of oil

2 cups dry lentils rinsed

8 cups of water

medium onion diced

2 stalks celery diced

2 good size carrots diced

1 can of diced tomatoes (i use no salt)

frozen corn...optional

1 tspn oregano

1 tspn basil

2 tspn minced garlic

2 to 3 tbls white vinegar

sea salt or your choice to your taste and black pepper...to your tast

saute in olive oil onion, celery and carrots for 5 mins....

add in garlic, oregano and basil...

saute for another few minutes....

add water, tomatoes and lentils

bring to boil then cover and simmer for about an hour until lentils are soft

add s and p to your taste

if using corn put that in ....cook till soft....add vinegar and enjoy

Yum! We do a very similar soup.

And brussel sprouts are actually the best cut in half and tossed in a little duck fat/spray with salt and pepper and roasted on parchment paper. About twenty minutes around 400 F.

The gamey flavour of the oil matches the bitterness of the sprouts and equals caramelized sweetness.

Edited by Bahamas

You probably just like saying "bourguignon"?

..."So yesterday, I threw together a bit of bourguignon...was but just a bit of thyme..." :)

Ha ha, yes, it is a great dish. Not often, but have made it a few times. Pre-flouring the meat in hot oil, then letting it simmer with the rest.

And left-overs never smelled or tasted so good! It's the bit of red wine, probably? Or the rich cognac.

The whole house smells it!