What's For Dinner?

The Owl

I had lunch with my husband at the rehab - cod, fried potatoes with onions, peas and a half a slice of whole wheat bread with a smear of butter.

It was delicious. The first decent meal (outside of fast food) that I had that I didn't have to cook.

• Like 2

Work is treated us to an ~$80 seafood buffet Thursday to function as our Christmas party.... I'll have to remember to comment on how that goes :D

I'd be down with that for sure!

Elbow Macaroni and Tuna Salad, with celery, Miracle Whip, herbs, and spices. Just finished putting together, need to let chill and have everything blend.
  • Like 1

Elbow Macaroni and Tuna Salad, with celery, Miracle Whip, herbs, and spices. Just finished putting together, need to let chill and have everything blend.

What herbs and spices do you toss in? And, how long do you let it chill? Overnight or a few hours?

Dat Fedex package outta Pasty Central from up dere in da U.P. arrived. 4 big Cornish style beef pasties. 2 in da freezer and 2 in da oven. Dat an a cold beer make a damn good dinner, ya sure you betcha.

What herbs and spices do you toss in? And, how long do you let it chill? Overnight or a few hours?

Chopped celery, tarragon, dill, onion powder. Chill at least 3-4 hours to let everything blend.

• Like 1

Chicken soup, followed by Lazanki. :drool: Look up that dish. It's not known in North America, but if you put all the ingredients in, you won't be disappointed.

laznaki and kapusta! Some pierogis and kruschiki too. You must have some Polish or Slavic in you.

• Like 1

Chicken soup, followed by Lazanki. :drool: Look up that dish. It's not known in North America, but if you put all the ingredients in, you won't be disappointed.

laznaki and kapusta! Some pierogis and kruschiki too. You must have some Polish or Slavic in you.

You know it, my friend. :ebert: By kruschiki, do you mean those sugary cakes made with bread?

You know it, my friend. :ebert: By kruschiki, do you mean those sugary cakes made with bread?

Also known as angel wings. They're a light dough, little or no sugar in it, fried crisp like a pie crust, and covered with powdered sugar. As a kid I used to buy them still warm from the Palmer Bakery in Detroit, less than 100 yards from Grandma's and Mom's house. Sooooo good!

• Like 1

Also known as angel wings. They're a light dough, little or no sugar in it, fried crisp like a pie crust, and covered with powdered sugar. As a kid I used to buy them still warm from the Palmer Bakery in Detroit, less than 100 yards from Grandma's and Mom's house. Sooooo good!

Those are the ones, baby! :drool: After your post, my wife guessed the name, when I asked her about kruschiki. We call them chrust.
  • Like 1

That's the biggest thing I miss from living up North bitd, the ethnic diversity and neighborhoods. German, Polish, Italian, Jewish, Arabic, etc. Detroit still has the Greektown area just north of downtown, but I understand it's dicey because of hit and run crime. Not as bad is Mexicantown southwest of downtown with restaurants, bodegas, tacquerias, bars, etc. That, and freshwater fish. Love my grouper, snapper, yellowtail, and stone crab, but God I miss perch, pickerel, whitefish, and fresh caught coho.
  • Like 1

Did someone say kruschiki????? :drool:

And pierogis??????? :drool: :drool: Fried up with some onions maybe??? :drool: :drool: :drool:

My mother made both from scratch. Never bought anything from the store that came close. :sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

• Like 1

Did someone say kruschiki????? :drool:

And pierogis??????? :drool: :drool: Fried up with some onions maybe??? :drool: :drool: :drool:

My mother made both from scratch. Never bought anything from the store that came close. :sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

Yeah, homemade pierogis are always superior to what you can find in a supermarket. Unless you're in Eastern Europe, that is. ;)
  • Like 1

The other night I seared some shrimp that had marinated in lemon, chili powder, garlic/onion salt. I served it on a bed of spaghetti with a little pesto and it was great. The Lad enjoyed it.
  • Like 1

The other night I seared some shrimp that had marinated in lemon, chili powder, garlic/onion salt. I served it on a bed of spaghetti with a little pesto and it was great. The Lad enjoyed it.

How long did you marinate it? I didn't know you could marinate anything without liquid unless you used a lot of lemon. How much lemon did you use, and did you use a real lemon or that phony RealLemon?

How long did you marinate it? I didn't know you could marinate anything without liquid unless you used a lot of lemon. How much lemon did you use, and did you use a real lemon or that phony RealLemon?

I used the phony stuff, which was all I had. It didn't sit long...maybe an hour. Shrimp doesn't need much. The shrimp created plenty of it's own liquid as it sat. I just stirred it every ten minutes or so. Edited by goose
  • Like 1