What's For Dinner?

The Owl

My daughter came over last night and I grilled a nice london broil. Served it in a green salad with tomato and cuke, and had grilled sweet potato as a side.

A tip on grilling sweet potato: toss it in olive oil, pumpkin pie spice and a bit of pesto. A nice combo of sweet and savory!

• Like 1

It's so rare for me to make a meat loaf dinner in mid-July that I just had to announce it. We're having such a lovely summer so far - cold. :)

Send some cold my way. I spent the day pushing around a 250 lb stump grinder in 90 degree heat. Silly me volunteered for this as well.
  • Like 1

It's so rare for me to make a meat loaf dinner in mid-July that I just had to announce it. We're having such a lovely summer so far - cold. :)

Send some cold my way. I spent the day pushing around a 250 lb stump grinder in 90 degree heat. Silly me volunteered for this as well.

Hemi, you shouldn't do stuff like that in the heat. Seriously.

Tonight it will be in the 40's here, but next week I see temps are going up to the low to mid 90s. :boo hiss: The good news is that summer is almost over. :)

• Like 1

Stuffed Peppers my sister made....i will enjoy the left overs. Oh ..stuffed with chicken...not beef. Either one would have been yummy good ! Thanks Deb !

What do you mean stuffed with chicken? How does she do it?

I know she mixes up chopped chicken with some cheese, and spoons it into half a pepper . She bakes them for around 35-40 minutes.

Edited by Chicken hawk
  • Like 1

Chicken, small potatoes, and green beans, sprinkled with Italian dressing mix, slow cooked in a crock pot.

That sounds very good.

Can you give me some more details? Do you use chicken parts? How long do you slow cook it? Do you add any water?

Yeah, so we use frozen boneless tenderloins; we get them in bag from the grocery. We cook it in rectangular slow cooker/crock pot (not an instant pot). Run a little water, maybe a finger's worth in the bottom of the crock. Put the frozen chicken in the middle and arrange the potatoes at one end (we use those little round ones that come in mesh bag) and green beans at the other end (again, frozen, and we've used both "regular" cut and french cut beans) so you've got sort of a flag of colored potatoes, white chicken, and green beans. Then we sprinkle one of the sleeves of Italian dressing mix (the dry powder) over the whole thing.

If we're going to be gone all day, I usually start it up in the morning (before seven) and cook it on "low" until we're ready to eat, around five. I think this morning my wife started them about nine, so she turned it up to high. Our device doesn't have a temperature setting.

As the chicken cooks, the water comes out of it, and we've only ever had a problem with things getting crispy if they were stuck to the side too long, so you might want to keep an eye on it. Occasionally, I might stir the sections, to sort of rotate the beans or potatoes from the top to the bottom.

It's a favorite around here: easy, balanced, and tasty!

• Like 1

Yeah, so we use frozen boneless tenderloins; we get them in bag from the grocery. We cook it in rectangular slow cooker/crock pot (not an instant pot). Run a little water, maybe a finger's worth in the bottom of the crock. Put the frozen chicken in the middle and arrange the potatoes at one end (we use those little round ones that come in mesh bag) and green beans at the other end (again, frozen, and we've used both "regular" cut and french cut beans) so you've got sort of a flag of colored potatoes, white chicken, and green beans. Then we sprinkle one of the sleeves of Italian dressing mix (the dry powder) over the whole thing.

If we're going to be gone all day, I usually start it up in the morning (before seven) and cook it on "low" until we're ready to eat, around five. I think this morning my wife started them about nine, so she turned it up to high. Our device doesn't have a temperature setting.

As the chicken cooks, the water comes out of it, and we've only ever had a problem with things getting crispy if they were stuck to the side too long, so you might want to keep an eye on it. Occasionally, I might stir the sections, to sort of rotate the beans or potatoes from the top to the bottom.

It's a favorite around here: easy, balanced, and tasty!

That really sounds good. I'm going to make it. :)

Thank you for the details! I appreciate it very much. :cheers:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Cereal. Rice chex and Life.

over 90 degrees and humid today. same tomorrow, weather that is. OOF!!! :boohoo:

• Like 1

I had something tonight that I've never had before -- a bison burger. I liked it! Not the least bit gamey, kind of like beef but slightly milder, with a buttery kind of flavor.

I love bison. There's a food truck here that slow roasts bison and serves it in various salads and sandwiches, or with mashed potatoes. It's all delicious

Frozen Chinese cooked stovetop.

PF Chang Sesame Chicken and Archer Farms (Target house brand) pork & chicken potsickers.

Meh; Chang gets a C-, blaaaa ndthis is 3 strikes yer out for themin the Bear Den

Archer Farms gets a D. Again blaaaand, but the markdown is because their stuff is usually much better.

I had something tonight that I've never had before -- a bison burger. I liked it! Not the least bit gamey, kind of like beef but slightly milder, with a buttery kind of flavor.

I love bison. There's a food truck here that slow roasts bison and serves it in various salads and sandwiches, or with mashed potatoes. It's all delicious

With mashed potatoes sounds tasty. Apparently, I had some as a little little kid (according to older bros) but I don’t remember it. Would definitely like to give it another shot