What's For Dinner?

The Owl

Seashell pasta salad with chunks of tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, mozzarella and salami. Seasoned with fresh basil and italian dressing.

We may have grilled chicken with it

• Like 1

Botana (layered dish of tortilla chips, seasoned ground beef, refired beans, chilies, and cheese, baked until the cheese melts), topped with salsa and sour cream.

Whatever cerveza's cold in the fridge-likely Bell's Lager or Shiner.

Edited by pjbear05

Dearborn (MI) Sausage Company makes natural casing all beef and beef/pork franks, the latter of which are used by all the coney places in the Detroit area. A family from the area has a Michigan themed sports bar in Delray Beach that "imports" the franks and National Chili Co. Chili topping to clone a Detroit style coney. They're the best, and every so often I'll road trip up there and chow down. I'm on vacation next week, and a road trip is definitely on the agenda.

they wouldn't be koegel's would they? those are some of michigan's best. we take our hotdogs seriously here.

http://www.seriousea...m-michigan.html

There's an Amish market about 20 minutes from my house that has a fresh meat section to die for. they make their own hotdogs which are the bomb along with about 7 varieties of brats. really fat hot dogs that are about the equivilent of 2 supermarket dogs. gotta split them down the middle to cook them. yummy.

You are very fortunate to have stores like that around you.

• Like 1

Seashell pasta salad with chunks of tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, mozzarella and salami. Seasoned with fresh basil and italian dressing.

That sounds really good.

Do you use a specific recipe or just slice, dice and toss?

That sounds really good.

I looked at various recipes and then used what I had on hand. Pretty bullet proof and a nice light meal for summer.

It keeps well, too.

• Like 1

Botana (layered dish of tortilla chips, seasoned ground beef, refired beans, chilies, and cheese, baked until the cheese melts), topped with salsa and sour cream.

sounds like Nachos...and delicious!
  • Like 1

That sounds really good.

I looked at various recipes and then used what I had on hand. Pretty bullet proof and a nice light meal for summer.

It keeps well, too.

Do you cube the salami and mozzarella?

Dearborn (MI) Sausage Company makes natural casing all beef and beef/pork afranks, the latter of which are used by all the coney places in the Detroit area. A family from the area has a Michigan themed sports bar in Delray Beach that "imports" the franks and National Chili Co. Chili topping to clone a Detroit style coney. They're the best, and every so often I'll road trip up there and chow down. I'm on vacation next week, and a road trip is definitely on the agenda.

they wouldn't be koegel's would they? those are some of michigan's best. we take our hotdogs seriously here.

http://www.seriousea...m-michigan.html

There's an Amish market about 20 minutes from my house that has a fresh meat section to die for. they make their own hotdogs which are the bomb along with about 7 varieties of brats. really fat hot dogs that are about the equivilent of 2 supermarket dogs. gotta split them down the middle to cook them. yummy.

Never had Koegels, with them being based in Flint, but a friend who lives in Lansing swears by them.

The Amish place sounds like a winner. Where they at exactly? Brats and Bell's, now there's a plan.

Bullseye Marketplace, Three rivers, Michigan. About a half hour south of Kalamazoo.

holds right hand up, palm side up and points to lower left part of palm. everyone with a hand has a built-in michigan map.

...and everyone with a peepee has a built-in florida map...but they don't make good geographical references, without getting arrested.

Edited by HemiBeers

That sounds really good.

It keeps well, too.

Do you cube the salami and mozzarella?

Yep. Chunked tomatoes and cuke, too.

sounds like Nachos...and delicious!

Actually, Xochimilco's, a restaurant in the "Mexican Town" section of SW Detroit, invented the botana as a snack for expectant mothers. YT spent many an hour downing botanas, flautas, and cerveza in my younger days. The place is still a hotspot.

You know those days when you make that perfect meal? Well, yesterday was one of them. Fresh pasta with homemade tomato sauce and meatballs.

The tomato sauce was made with canned and puréed tomatoes (couldn't get fresh ones with good enough quality), with basil and thyme from my little herb garden. Some garlic, chopped onions, bay leaves, salt and pepper.

The meatballs was minced meat mashed together with one egg, chopped parsley, salt, pepper, and graded parmesan cheese.

Thank God I have leftovers for days :D

35213105943_09f2fba78a.jpg

• Like 2

You know those days when you make that perfect meal? Well, yesterday was one of them. Fresh pasta with homemade tomato sauce and meatballs.

The tomato sauce was made with canned and puréed tomatoes (couldn't get fresh ones with good enough quality), with basil and thyme from my little herb garden. Some garlic, chopped onions, bay leaves, salt and pepper.

The meatballs was minced meat mashed together with one egg, chopped parsley, salt, pepper, and graded parmesan cheese.

Is that an actual picture of what you made? It looks delicious.

Too hot here to cook these days. Another reason to look forward to the end of summer and cooler weather.

• Like 1

Is that an actual picture of what you made? It looks delicious.

Too hot here to cook these days. Another reason to look forward to the end of summer and cooler weather.

Yes it is :). I have a habit of taking pictures of food I like, or is presented well, for inspiration. People probably think I'm weird when I do it at restaurants, and sure occasionally one or two ends up on Instagram ;)

• Like 1

Going to a crab feast tonight with an open bar. Gonna be off the hook!

I occasionally see and hear comments from some saying they can't understand why others overindulge in food and/or drink.

Those folks have probably never been to a crab feast with an open bar.

I used to make a lot of Kraft dinners in the microwave. I stopped doing that when I found out there are harmful additives in the cheese powder.
  • Like 2

I couldn't get anything I made to look that good ever.

Some people just have the knack; others don't.

The downside is the food is often lukewarm or cold before I get to eat it, because I have to dress the plate, or often because I do the dishes before I eat. After dinner it's couch-time :D