The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Nate2112

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 12 2011, 09:25 AM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Jan 11 2011, 03:18 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 11 2011, 10:35 PM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 11 2011, 02:10 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jan 4 2011, 08:05 PM)
stranger in a strange land
after seventh son they went down the tubes imo.

goodpost.gif

no.gif

Really? You do surprise me.

Are you sure?

Yes sireebob.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jan 11 2011, 03:29 PM)

goodpost.gif

no.gif

Are you sure?

Yes sireebob.

Maybe you can explain it then...

unsure.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 12 2011, 09:32 AM)

goodpost.gif

no.gif

Are you sure?

Yes sireebob.

unsure.gif

I thought you had much better taste...sorry I was mistaken tongue.gif

I just didnt think you were a fan of the later stuff for some reason that's all. No biggie.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jan 11 2011, 03:44 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 12 2011, 09:32 AM)

goodpost.gif

no.gif

Are you sure?

Yes sireebob.

unsure.gif

I thought you had much better taste...sorry I was mistaken tongue.gif

I just didnt think you were a fan of the later stuff for some reason that's all. No biggie.

Well I think the later stuff is pretty good but obviously 80s maiden is clearly the best without question, I wouldn't try and say otherwise. I do think No Prayer for the Dying is underrated though and 21st century Maiden is worth a few spins on the dial for sure...

cool.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jan 11 2011, 07:48 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 11 2011, 05:46 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 11 2011, 04:35 AM)

goodpost.gif

no.gif

Not at all. I think Fear of the Dark is classic track. AMOLAD is as solid a release as some of their earlier material.

Don't forget about Brave New World either. I think that album is just as good if not better than some of the classic stuff from the 80s.

1022.gif 1022.gif Ghost Of The Navigator 1022.gif 1022.gif

LOVE Ghost Of the Navigator! Bought Brave New World almost entirely based on my love of that song and found one of my favourite Maiden albums. Blood Brothers is sensational. yes.gif

QUOTE (TwentyOneTwelve @ Jan 11 2011, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jan 11 2011, 07:48 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 11 2011, 05:46 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 11 2011, 04:35 AM)

goodpost.gif

no.gif

Not at all. I think Fear of the Dark is classic track. AMOLAD is as solid a release as some of their earlier material.

Don't forget about Brave New World either. I think that album is just as good if not better than some of the classic stuff from the 80s.

1022.gif 1022.gif Ghost Of The Navigator 1022.gif 1022.gif

LOVE Ghost Of the Navigator! Bought Brave New World almost entirely based on my love of that song and found one of my favourite Maiden albums. Blood Brothers is sensational. yes.gif

Blood Brothers is great. I loved that on their tour last summer Bruce dedicated the song every night to the memory of Ronnie James Dio 1022.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jan 12 2011, 01:25 PM)
At their best, they're very good but I wouldn't call them truly great. And I do like their first 5. They're just a little too one dimensional for me.

One demnsional? why do you think that?

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jan 12 2011, 09:03 PM)
At their best, they're very good but I wouldn't call them truly great. And I do like their first 5. They're just a little too one dimensional for me.

Lack of variety at times, a lot of the music is very similar and not diverse enough. And the lyrics can be somewhat cartoonish and without much depth.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jan 12 2011, 10:24 PM)

Lack of variety at times, a lot of the music is very similar and not diverse enough. And the lyrics can be somewhat cartoonish and without much depth.

OK, Steve does a brilliant job of reusing certain scales...several times, but most of their songs have their own identity. You know which song it is instantly. And as far as the lyrics go, they are freaking definitive classic heavy metal! There should be an element of grandiose, dramatic, heavy handed fantasy land to this kind of music.

Edited by GeddyLeeRoth

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Jan 13 2011, 06:11 AM)

OK, Steve does a brilliant job of reusing certain scales...several times, but most of their songs have their own identity. You know which song it is instantly. And as far as the lyrics go, they are freaking definitive classic heavy metal! There should be an element of grandiose, dramatic, heavy handed fantasy land to this kind of music.

goodpost.gif

Maiden's lyrics and the use of themes and ideas from all members of the band are one of my favourite things about them. Obviously Steve Harris is the glue that holds it all together but I think something that really stood out for me on The Final Frontier is just how much lyrics is a group thing.

...but yeah having said all that, the music being awesome is the main thing obviously! tongue.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Jan 13 2011, 01:11 AM)

yes.gif

Iron Maiden's style both musically and lyrically is what i've always felt every aspiring metal should mold themselves after. That way we wouldn't have all this incoherant growling and screaming we have in metal today.

I never saw them as one demensional at all. In fact when you listen to all their albums back to back from '80-'88 you hear great progression in their songwritting style. They did regress on NPFTD and FOTD but then they came back strong with Bruce in 2000. Since then they have a lot of songs that have a similar format but there are still progressing with their songwritting with each new release and every album has it's own specific sound and feel to it.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I listened to their fist two albums again for the first time in awhile and still can't get into Di'Anno's voice. I think both albums have good songs but his voice just brings them down for me. I prefer listening to the live versions of the songs off the first two with Bruce on vocals.

Maybe it's just me unsure.gif

QUOTE (Imaginos @ Jan 11 2011, 06:11 AM)
My top three IM albums;

Powerslave
A Matter of Life and Death
The Final Frontier

Yes, I am serious.

you can't be serious. tongue.gif hey that's cool everyone is different. i just wasn't into a matter of life and death and it carried over into the show. mucho pee breaks and i never heard so much cursing in the bathroom. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jan 16 2011, 08:39 PM)
QUOTE (Imaginos @ Jan 11 2011, 06:11 AM)
My top three IM albums;

Powerslave
A Matter of Life and Death
The Final Frontier

Yes, I am serious.

you can't be serious. tongue.gif hey that's cool everyone is different. i just wasn't into a matter of life and death and it carried over into the show. mucho pee breaks and i never heard so much cursing in the bathroom. laugh.gif

I didn't see them on that tour but I can understand why people got upset that they were playing the whole new album begining to end. I like the album but there are too many slower moments in it for the whole thing to work live.

I understand Maiden not wanting to live in the past and being proud of their new matertial which they have every right to be. But they should've paced the songs out better. Open with a few new ones then play an old song or two before getting back into the newer stuff. Still, it was a very ballsy move for a classic metal band to do something like that.

Every tour since Bruce got back they've been rotating between a classics heavy set and a new song heavy set every other tour. I didn't even realize that until this summer's tour so I get why people would come in and expect more 80s stuff since it's their best and most popular material.

The best part about Maiden is that you always know that you are going to get a Maiden album. Even though I was not a fan of Blaze, the music did not disappoint. I still think that Sign of the Cross is one of their best songs and I am so glad that Bruce sang it back in 00-01. Final Frontier has some fantastic songs. A Matter of Life and Death is one of their most consistent records IMO.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jan 17 2011, 11:22 AM)
Matter of Life and Death was great, and I think Final Frontier is even better. Hope they announce some more US dates for the fall

I'm hoping for that to. Maybe they can do like Rush and hit some places they didn't get to last summer. They haven't played my area since 2000 so I doubt my town will be on it if they decide to add more shows sad.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Jan 17 2011, 10:40 PM)
Me three. The last time I saw them was the NPFTD Tour in 1991. Somehow I missed them on FOTD and BNW, but that was the last time they were in MO--2000. Pretty sad. I gave up on seeing them again years ago.

Yes, they don't overplay in the States for sure. I've not seen them since '85 for the same reason.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jan 18 2011, 10:17 AM)
last show i saw was on the a matter of life and death tour and it sucked. before that it was the seventh son tour which was great. good setlist and great stage. hearing the prisoner was a nice surprise. atickhum.gif

I'm not a huge fan of AMOLAD, but I would have still dug that tour, albeit they should have dropped Fear Of The Dark and I think it was The Evil That Men Do (which I love actually) for some older, heavier cuts during the five songs after AMOLAD was played. Caution: Run on sentence.