The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Nate2112

Does it really matter?

The band obviously loves him being in...you know the band.

He is part of Iron Maiden.

I don't understand any of this thinking on a guy who has been in the band for a long while now.

Even Adrian Smith says that Janick is a great songwriter. I don't know what he has to gain from lying, so I presume Adrian is being truthful about that.

Now that I'm listening to more Iron Maiden, I'm now beginning to realize that a lot of the Blaze Bayley material is actually really good. I fuc'king LOVE Virus and Man On The Edge. Virus has a lot of progressive elements to them and Man On The Edge reminds me of Be Quick or Be Dead, which is one of my favorites.

Contrary to most fans' opinions, I think Blaze is actually a really good vocalist in the lower register and I think Steve Harris made a huge mistake by refusing to tune down a half step. They would have sounded way better overall and Blaze wouldn't have had to struggle to hit those high notes.

Even Adrian Smith says that Janick is a great songwriter. I don't know what he has to gain from lying, so I presume Adrian is being truthful about that.

He doesn't gain anything by lying. But don't forget that close friendships create blind loyalty which leads to over praising the person you care about. He's obviously not going to publicly throw a fellow bandmate and friend under the bus. I'm tired of talking about this Jannick shit anyways.

Now that I'm listening to more Iron Maiden, I'm now beginning to realize that a lot of the Blaze Bayley material is actually really good. I fuc'king LOVE Virus and Man On The Edge. Virus has a lot of progressive elements to them and Man On The Edge reminds me of Be Quick or Be Dead, which is one of my favorites.

Contrary to most fans' opinions, I think Blaze is actually a really good vocalist in the lower register and I think Steve Harris made a huge mistake by refusing to tune down a half step. They would have sounded way better overall and Blaze wouldn't have had to struggle to hit those high notes.

Blaze is a good singer, he just didn't really fit with Maiden the way Steve originally thought he would. I always said that The X Factor would be considered a top tier Maiden album if Bruce sang on it since most of the material is pretty strong. But Blaze just couldn't give that life and passion to the songs that Bruce could. The audience completely abandoned them as well. They went from playing arenas and stadiums to only doing a few thousand seat venues with Blaze. Obviously filling Bruce's shoes was going to be a daunting task for anyone. But Blaze had none of the on stage presence, charisma and personality that Bruce does. If he could have even brought a little life to things fans would look on him more favorable.

He doesn't gain anything by lying. But don't forget that close friendships create blind loyalty which leads to over praising the person you care about. He's obviously not going to publicly throw a fellow bandmate and friend under the bus. I'm tired of talking about this Jannick shit anyways.

Blaze is a good singer, he just didn't really fit with Maiden the way Steve originally thought he would. I always said that The X Factor would be considered a top tier Maiden album if Bruce sang on it since most of the material is pretty strong. But Blaze just couldn't give that life and passion to the songs that Bruce could. The audience completely abandoned them as well. They went from playing arenas and stadiums to only doing a few thousand seat venues with Blaze. Obviously filling Bruce's shoes was going to be a daunting task for anyone. But Blaze had none of the on stage presence, charisma and personality that Bruce does. If he could have even brought a little life to things fans would look on him more favorable.

I agree about the stage presence. Even at the ripe old age of 58, Bruce is all over the place onstage.

Blaze on the other hand was a statue. All he really did was stay in a power stance in the centre of the stage, sang and tried to "look tough". I understand that Maiden was trying to go in a rough and gritty direction, but he tried way too hard to look the part.

• Like 1

I saw Maiden live with Blaze...he also did an embarassing move, Wich consisted of punching down with his two hands. Awkward! And I remember at one point he wanted to stay in front of the stage, between Harris and the two guitar players, but he had to push the others to fit in.

It was so bad that I didn't see them on the Virtual XI Tour, even though I had the chance of doing it in Rio and São Paulo.

You may like the version of Man on the Edge that Bruce sings live. He also did stellar versions of Sign of the Cross and The Clansman.

You may like the version of Man on the Edge that Bruce sings live. He also did stellar versions of Sign of the Cross and The Clansman.

He also sang Futureal and Lord of the Flies. I don't think we'll ever see Bruce singing anything else from Blaze's albums though.

So I posted this in Earl´s recent thread about Ghost and Maiden, but I don´t think anyone´s seen it - here's my review of the show, in Portuguese. I'm not expecting you to read it, but hope you enjoy the photos:

https://whiplash.net...ironmaiden.html

I liked your review of the Ghost show!

:ebert:

Did you manage to get a proper translation of it?

With my Spanish background and my limited Portuguese, I managed to read it.
  • Like 1

I dont hate the Bayley albums at all. I think people like to jump on the bandwagon i can think of two, maybe three, Dickinson albums I like less!

I dont hate the Bayley albums at all. I think people like to jump on the bandwagon i can think of two, maybe three, Dickinson albums I like less!

I know you don't mean me... I know all Maiden albums from start to finish and still rank the ones with Blaze as the two worst ones. But I'm curious: which ones do you think are worse than X Factor and Virtual XI?

Actually, I'm on a Maiden binge at the moment, so I'll try to rank the studio albums later on in this thread.

I know you don't mean me... I know all Maiden albums from start to finish and still rank the ones with Blaze as the two worst ones. But I'm curious: which ones do you think are worse than X Factor and Virtual XI?

Actually, I'm on a Maiden binge at the moment, so I'll try to rank the studio albums later on in this thread.

No Prayer For The Dying, Fear Of The Dark and...controversially...Somewhere In Time.

I can agree with No Prayer and Fear of the Dark, but Somewhere in Time??????

I know it sounds crazy but I just never liked that album. Not a clue why but I play it and nothing stands out...live versions of the songs...different story!

By the way, I know that No Prayer and Fear of the Dark sound like the band were just fulfilling a contract obligation - that was not the case, but they surely sound like it. But they sound SO much better to me than the Blaze albums, which only seemed to go even further down the hill. Take songs like 2 a.m. and Lighting Strikes Twice for example or even Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger...what were they thinking????

I'm stealing this joke from another forum, but knowing that Blaze wrote parts of Blood Brothers makes So Much Sense

SO MUCH SENSE

SO MUCH SENSE

SO MUCH SENSE

SO MUCH SENSE

SO MUCH SENSE

Playing the X Factor now.

OK Rod..........I hear your point.....

I take back my previous comments. These are not songs/albums worthy of the bands legacy.

"Sign of the crrooooooooooossssss"

No. Ouch.

I take back my previous comments. These are not songs/albums worthy of the bands legacy.

No. Ouch.

That's the best song they had with Blaze lol.

But you can clearly hear in the chorus how Blaze gave no life to the songs. That chorus was meant for Bruce's high soaring vocals. Have you heard the live version from the Brave New World tour with Bruce? Much better. He would have killed it with this track if he recorded the studio version.

No. Ouch.

But you can clearly hear in the chorus how Blaze gave no life to the songs. That chorus was meant for Bruce's high soaring vocals. Have you heard the live version from the Brave New World tour with Bruce? Much better. He would have killed it with this track if he recorded the studio version.

I have!

Honestly remembered playing these albums several times and enjoying them.

How?

His voice...no...I cannot go there again lol

No. Ouch.

I have!

How?

Yeah, they tried to go for a different singer with a different vibe and it just didn't work. Not every band can replace their Ozzy with a Dio.

No. Ouch.

I have!

How?

Yeah, they tried to go for a different singer with a different vibe and it just didn't work. Not every band can replace their Ozzy with a Dio.

Agreed. A really bizarre choice but to be truly honest, I think the band are foolish to not rectify this mistake by rerecording the songs with Bruce.

I don't think they could make these albums classics, but they could easily lighten the burden of having two albums full of decent music ruined by torturous vocals.

I still rate the actual playing on these two.

Some of the songs can definitely be improved with Bruce. But Lord of the Flies, for example, wasn't that good when he sang live. I think they went as far as they could with trying to redeem those albums with the current lineup. A few other songs had input from Blaze and ended up in Brave New World: Blood Brothers, Dream of Mirrors and a third one I can't remember. Actually, the only complaint I've seen Blaze make from his time with Maiden is that he didn't receive credit for those songs.

A few days late with this post but Maiden will be doing a European tour next year called the Legacy Of The Beast. The set will mainly be older stuff with a few newer tunes thrown in supposedly. I hope they bring this to North America since Maiden's old school themed tours are always a blast to see.

https://ironmaiden.com/news/article/iron-maiden-announce-legacy-of-the-beast-european-tour-2018

• Like 2

A few days late with this post but Maiden will be doing a European tour next year called the Legacy Of The Beast. The set will mainly be older stuff with a few newer tunes thrown in supposedly. I hope they bring this to North America since Maiden's old school themed tours are always a blast to see.

https://ironmaiden.c...opean-tour-2018

I'm flirtin' with tickets for the Waldbühne or Freiburg.

Thanks for posting. :cheers:

• Like 1