The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Nate2112

Saw them two days ago in Frankfurt. Overall it was a disappointing concert. Sound was awful, a sonic mess. It was so mushy that some guitar parts weren't identifiable. Bruce had problems with the mic(s) and he was scarcely audible and in some parts we couldn't hear him sing at all. It was one of the worst live sounds I've ever experienced!!!

The setlist changes were needless. Both of the songs were performed lifeless. Hell, we saw Nicko yawning during Wrathchild. WTF!!!

Saw them two days ago in Frankfurt. Overall it was a disappointing concert. Sound was awful, a sonic mess. It was so mushy that some guitar parts weren't identifiable. Bruce had problems with the mic(s) and he was scarcely audible and in some parts we couldn't hear him sing at all. It was one of the worst live sounds I've ever experienced!!!

The setlist changes were needless. Both of the songs were performed lifeless. Hell, we saw Nicko yawning during Wrathchild. WTF!!!

Sorry to hear that...I guess Maiden has off nights too. Actually, the first time I saw them was an amazing experience on a personal level, but you could tell something wasn't quite right - that was the Fear of the Dark Tour, and Bruce had already decided to leave.

Sorry to hear that show was bad. A rarity to hear that about a Maiden show. What kind of venue was it in?Sounds like the sound problems​ may not have been the band's fault.

Bruce lost interest in Wrathchild long ago. Playing that one so often over the years has to be Steve's call. Just like Run To The Hills, you can tell that Bruce is tired of doing it and​ just wants to get it over with. Maybe if they did something that isn't played as often like Murders In The Rue Morgue or Killers, Bruce would be more excited to sing it.

Sorry to hear that show was bad. A rarity to hear that about a Maiden show. What kind of venue was it in?Sounds like the sound problems​ may not have been the band's fault.

Bruce lost interest in Wrathchild long ago. Playing that one so often over the years has to be Steve's call. Just like Run To The Hills, you can tell that Bruce is tired of doing it and​ just wants to get it over with. Maybe if they did something that isn't played as often like Murders In The Rue Morgue or Killers, Bruce would be more excited to sing it.

I agree. These bands that have been around forever need to really shake the setlist up. The fans going to see them are more than likely long-term fans who WANT to hear different album cuts.

Of the two times I've seen Maiden live, I've never witnessed Wrathchild being played live. I think it's funny actually, cause honestly, I'd think it would be the one song in the set I thought was a "throwaway" song meaning the weakest song in the set. I'm glad w/seeing the rarely played songs like the Seventh Son songs, The Prisoner, Children Of The Damned, Powerslave, and hell, at least I got to hear Hallowed Be Thy Name live once!

Of the two times I've seen Maiden live, I've never witnessed Wrathchild being played live. I think it's funny actually, cause honestly, I'd think it would be the one song in the set I thought was a "throwaway" song meaning the weakest song in the set. I'm glad w/seeing the rarely played songs like the Seventh Son songs, The Prisoner, Children Of The Damned, Powerslave, and hell, at least I got to hear Hallowed Be Thy Name live once!

Wrathchild kicks the ass of every song you mentioned! :)

The show was in the Festhalle, Frankfurt where they played last Friday and Saturday. I've talked to some people and everyone said that they had massive sound problems on both nights. I've seen a lot of great shows in that venue and the sound was always brilliant (Rush RTB, R30, Time Machine and some other great shows from different bands like The Who, Bowie...) The sound of that Maiden show was an utter scandal. Totally awful!

And what pisses me the most about it, is the fact that I have to see them, at least one more time, because I don't wanna be reminded of them like that! Maiden is dead, up the Irons. :madra: :smoke: :hail:

Wrathchild kicks the ass of every song you mentioned! :)

Not a fan of Seventh Son are you?

Don't get me wrong, Wrathchild's a kick ass song on Killers and it's awesome on Beast Over Hammersmith, Live After Death and and Rock In Rio...but I dunno, I think I'd rather hear at least 10 other songs live over it. Like Flight Of Icarus...that'd be great to see live again even though 'Arry claims he hates it.

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

I finally bought my first Iron Maiden studio album last week (though I'd listen to a couple of them before, but not very closely). One my dad is familiar with from when he was in garage bands. Of course, The Number Of The Beast.

We both love this and I no longer find it difficult to get into the vocals, in fact I love them. Favs: Children Of The Damned, Prisoner, 22 Acacia Avenue, The Number Of The Beast, and Hallowed Be Thy Name, with honorable mentions to Invaders and Run To The Hills. Woot!

I'm going to be out of town when they are here dammit.. and I really want to see them again.

Finally bought Seventh Son (last week) and Somewhere In Time (last month). I never got them back in the day, so this is super cool to discover them now.

• Like 2

So I posted this in Earl´s recent thread about Ghost and Maiden, but I don´t think anyone´s seen it - here's my review of the show, in Portuguese. I'm not expecting you to read it, but hope you enjoy the photos:

https://whiplash.net...ironmaiden.html

• Like 2

You can read the review just fine if you're browser has a translate option which mine does. Don't see why anyone would have issues.

The show was great. Voice was a bit hoarse the next day. I blew it out while singing along to Powerslave. Could hear myself over the music during that song lol.

There were horrible mic problems with Bruce. Plenty of times I couldn't even hear what he was saying. On the new stuff is when it was the worst. Bruce's voice was rarely cutting above the music. He was totally lost in the mix. Not sure how an established band like them with only one opener could have issues like that. It's as if they didn't even do a sound check to make sure everything was set. If they did and their sound guys couldn't fix it then they need to be fired.

I also wonder if Maiden not tuning their songs down live is starting to effect Bruce's voice. The guy turns 60 next year. Realistically, how can Steve keep expecting him to sing at regular tone for much longer?

Don't get me wrong, it was a great show. But not being able to hear the vocals a lot of the time really put a damper on the show for me.

I thought Ghost did very well as the opener. The vocals came through really clear. At least one band that night had a sound guy who knew how to do his job.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

I know, J...I felt the same, man. Some of the songs were tough to take, especially The Great Unknown. Bruce´s voice is showing signs of tiredness, but I dunno if it´s because it´s the end of the tour, or age catching up with him. Another thing I noticed is that he lost the sustain on a lot of notes, especially on Children of the Damned. He can reach the high notes in the chorus, but doesn´t sustain them like he did in studio. That´s ok though, he´s brave enough to go out there and still sing those songs. But yeah, I don´t think they´ll be around ten years from now, and I´m fine with it if they decide to call it quits. Jus don´t quit until I bring Stella to see them on the next tour, please!!! :coy:
  • Like 1

I know, J...I felt the same, man. Some of the songs were tough to take, especially The Great Unknown. Bruce´s voice is showing signs of tiredness, but I dunno if it´s because it´s the end of the tour, or age catching up with him. Another thing I noticed is that he lost the sustain on a lot of notes, especially on Children of the Damned. He can reach the high notes in the chorus, but doesn´t sustain them like he did in studio. That´s ok though, he´s brave enough to go out there and still sing those songs. But yeah, I don´t think they´ll be around ten years from now, and I´m fine with it if they decide to call it quits. Jus don´t quit until I bring Stella to see them on the next tour, please!!! :coy:

I like The Great Unknown. But every time I listen to it I'm always thinking there's no way Bruce could do that chorus live without killing his voice. Was not surprised in the least when it wasn't played on the first leg of the tour. But I was very surprised to see it played on this leg.

Gotta give it up for Nicko though. The man is 65 and is still playing a full metal show on the drums.

• Like 1

so anyone going to Brooklyn tomorrow night?? or would if they could?

i would go to every show of theirs if i could lol. i saw them on july 1st and the crowd was insane and i almost lost and broke my glasses before moving to a spot that was safe.
  • Like 1

Omg! Well I ended up going and had ga up close, got totally dehydrated after ghost was over, made my way off the floor, passed out had to go to the hospital and missed the entire iron maiden show...