Geddy Lee / Eddie Van Halen

tripdad

First off, my disclaimer - if this has been discussed in the past I apologize in advance. Seems when something has been discussed years prior on this forum someone always has to call me on it and act like everyone and their brother already knows about it and there is no need to post yet again. (Really I'm tired of that shit!) tongue.gif

I was chatting with a FB friend today who is a big VH fan. He said there was a story in David Lee Roth's book (don't know what book) about Eddie and Geddy getting into a scuff after a show. He said that both bands were playing some gig and they decided to flip to see who would go on first (effectively choosing the opening act). Rush lost and went on first. The story goes that after Rush played Geddy refused to allow VH's roadies on stage for setup until all the Rush equipment was off the stage which delayed VH coming on stage.

The story continued that after the show Eddie saw Geddy in a bar and sucker punched him for the delay. Supposedly even breaking his nose.

Now I have never heard this story and I think it's all BS. First off, I don't see anyone in Rush acting like that after a show. Secondly, I don't see Geddy even being in a bar after a show.

Has anyone ever heard this story? Any validation to it?

2.gif APRIL 15TH BABY!!

• Like 1

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Dec 24 2010, 07:26 PM)
What year was this? Sounds like nonsense. I don't think Rush ever toured with Van Halen.

I did a search and see that Rush did play a show with VH in June of 1980.

http://www.songkick.com/concerts/7162361-r...e-montfort-hall

Rush was clearly the headliner though. Also found that Roth did write a book, "Crazy from the Heat" Not that I will be buying that one.

I was just hoping someone on the forum had heard this story in the past and could offer some insight to it.

There was a magazine out in the mid eighties that had an interview with Geddy Lee in it. Geddy was asked about Rush getting into a fight with Van Halen. Geddy said that Rush was staying at some hotel and had rented the bar out there and Van Halen showed up at the hotel and started drinking in the bar with them. The guys from Rush brought a radio into the bar to listen to music and Eddie spilled his drink on it and fried the radio. All the guy's from Van Halen acted like it was a big joke and the guys from Rush were highly insulted that Eddie thought it was a big joke and did not apologize. They got into an argument and eventually had Van Halen kicked out of the bar.

I don't know if we'll ever know the truth, but what I think everyone agrees on is there was definitely something that took place between Geddy and EVH. I've probably heard 100 different stories as to what happened, but this is the 1st I've heard about Geddy not letting VH's roadies on stage.

What I think we know:

Something happened in a bar

Alcohol was definitely involved (Shocker with EVH eh)

Safe to say neither band is a fan of each other's. David Lee Roth has dissed Rush more than once, and I think it's safe to say they have totally different style and philosophies to their music

The most common story is that it had something to do with Geddy playing some new Rush music for Eddie, and an insult took place

I had never heard that Van Halen opened up for Rush at a show...I dont think that link is very accurate. Dont think they've ever played together

Would love to hear anything else anyone may know. There are a couple people who have claimed to know the story that haven't fessed up

I think this sounds like total bullshit. Anyone who believes a word of what David Lee Roth says is just as big of an idiot as he is.

Secondly, I don't care what period in history it was, if Lifeson was there I'm pretty sure EVH wouldn't want to f**k around too much because I'm pretty sure he'd get the shit kicked out of him.

Thirdly EVH isn't fit to share the same dressing room as Alex Lifeson so who gives a shit. The guy is an egomaniac from hell and is one of the most overrated guitar players that ever lived. Wanna listen to a shredder from that time period, pop Blizzard of Ozz into your cd player and listen to the magic of Mr. Randy Rhoads.

• Like 2

QUOTE (tripdad @ Dec 24 2010, 05:23 PM)
First off, my disclaimer - if this has been discussed  in the past I apologize in advance.  Seems when something has been discussed years prior on this forum someone always has to call me on it and act like everyone and their brother already knows about it and there is no need to post yet again.  (Really I'm tired of that shit!)  tongue.gif

I was chatting with a FB friend today who is a big VH fan.  He said there was a story in David Lee Roth's book (don't know what book) about Eddie and Geddy getting into a scuff after a show.  He said that both bands were playing some gig and they decided to flip to see who would go on first (effectively choosing the opening act).  Rush lost and went on first.  The story goes that after Rush played Geddy refused to allow VH's roadies on stage for setup until all the Rush equipment was off the stage which delayed VH coming on stage. 

The story continued that after the show Eddie saw Geddy in a bar and sucker punched him for the delay.  Supposedly even breaking his nose.

Now I have never heard this story and I think it's all BS.  First off, I don't see anyone in Rush acting like that after a show.  Secondly, I don't see Geddy even being in a bar after a show.

Has anyone ever heard this story?  Any validation to it?

2.gif  APRIL 15TH BABY!!

Is this the book?

Crazy from the Heat by David Lee Roth

I wish there was an official date of this gig listed somewhere.

The Power Windows Tribute site does not have anything on it.

This is similar to the rumors of Heart opening for Rush in the early 80's which did not happen.

Edited by RushFanForever

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Dec 24 2010, 08:34 PM)
QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Dec 24 2010, 08:32 PM)
I highly doubt this ever happened. Besides, Eddie would get killed in a fight, him being all of 105 lbs and skinny as a rail back then.

No, this took place in the early 80's. Eddie was plenty healthy then

I think he means Geddy. He actually looked like he weighed about 90 lbs, and 10 of that was probably his hair.

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Dec 24 2010, 08:44 PM)
I think this sounds like total bullshit. Anyone who believes a word of what David Lee Roth says is just as big of an idiot as he is.

Secondly, I don't care what period in history it was, if Lifeson was there I'm pretty sure EVH wouldn't want to f**k around too much because I'm pretty sure he'd get the shit kicked out of him.

Thirdly EVH isn't fit to share the same dressing room as Alex Lifeson so who gives a shit. The guy is an egomaniac from hell and is one of the most overrated guitar players that ever lived. Wanna listen to a shredder from that time period, pop Blizzard of Ozz into your cd player and listen to the magic of Mr. Randy Rhoads.

Randy Rhoads was indeed one great guitarist, but you can't say EVH was over rated. Are you kidding me?

1 UP good sir Randy was top notch!!

BOO Was good, but DOAMM was better.

QUOTE (tripdad @ Dec 24 2010, 10:56 PM)
I think this sounds like total bullshit.  Anyone who believes a word of what David Lee Roth says is just as big of an idiot as he is.

Thirdly EVH isn't fit to share the same dressing room as Alex Lifeson so who gives a shit.  The guy is an egomaniac from hell and is one of the most overrated guitar players that ever lived.  Wanna listen to a shredder from that time period, pop Blizzard of Ozz into your cd player and listen to the magic of Mr. Randy Rhoads.

Randy Rhoads was indeed one great guitarist, but you can't say EVH was over rated. Are you kidding me?

No, Eddie IS over-rated. Like Jimi Hendrix, and Jimmy Paige.

The only thing Eddie ever did that was worthwile, was Eruption. Even that was blegh.

and don't even get me started on Van Halen after Hagar left. Yuk.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 25 2010, 06:04 AM)
was over rated. Are you kidding me? [/quote]
The only thing Eddie ever did that was worthwile, was Eruption. Even that was blegh.

It is spelled Page. Come on man! smile.gif

And he is not overrated. Nor is Hendrix. Van Halen is a fabulous guitarist no doubt.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Dec 25 2010, 07:17 AM)
was over rated. Are you kidding me?

[/quote]
It is spelled Page. Come on man! smile.gif

And he is not overrated. Nor is Hendrix. Van Halen is a fabulous guitarist no doubt.

I think you meant to say WAS a fabulous guitarist! No longer the case!

here's one things for sure. in 2004 eddie did attack Valerie's new man backstage at one of the reunion hagar shows, its mentioned in her book, she really disses on eddie alot , she tells how drunk he was and how her dad had to punch him in the face (dad was an ex boxer). and how eddie made fun of her being fat.. Surprisingly she said that her and david lee got along and all that stuff about how she broke up the band was the media..