What was the last truly great album?

Tick

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 19 2011, 07:52 AM)
QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Feb 19 2011, 02:21 AM)
Vapor Trails.
and it will go down as one of their best.

laugh.gif

In what universe?

According to rateyourmusic, where several hundred, and often thousands of people vote on each Rush album, VT is parked pretty much at the very bottom as second to last, only being marginally beaten by T4E as the album widely considered to be their worst. The people have spoken. The results are all there for anyone to see. SOURCE

So I will give you that the album may go down for YOU as one of their best, but according to the population at large who've listened to Rush albums... yeah, not so much. no.gif

Sorry dude but who in the hell has ever heard of rate your music?

Vapor Trails is their best album since Power Windows.

A new Rush album will always draw criticisim by the "Old Rush Fans" who are admittedly stuck in the 70's waiting for Hemispheres Pt. 2. Those who won't allow themselves to like new Rush, for fear of admitting their beloved band still makes great music.

The lines have been drawn amongst some Rush fans, and that's just "How It Is"

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Feb 19 2011, 10:11 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 19 2011, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Feb 19 2011, 06:53 AM)
Vapor Trails.

laugh.gif

In what universe?

According to rateyourmusic, where several hundred, and often thousands of people vote on each Rush album, VT is parked pretty much at the very bottom as second to last, only being marginally beaten by T4E as the album widely considered to be their worst. The people have spoken. The results are all there for anyone to see. SOURCE

So I will give you that the album may go down for YOU as one of their best, but according to the population at large who've listened to Rush albums... yeah, not so much. no.gif

orig. post asked for individual opinions, not the masses and not your skewed version of what you think everyone else should feel... wtf.gif

laugh.gif again.

he's entitled to express his opinion, as am i.

he was saying that VT will "go down as one of their best." i was merely commenting that, with some hard facts and figures to back it up, that is simply not the case. for him personally it might be the case, but in general, not even close.

and just because i'm opinionated and express my opinions doesn't mean for a second that i think everyone else or anyone else should feel anything. everyone is entitled to feel about rush and any given album whatever they like. i hold no illusions that my opinions will ever change anyone else's opinions, just as i know other people's opinions won't change how i feel. should that stop us from expressing our opinions and engaging in discussion?

I've seen JPRushHed posting over at Counterparts, I think he's a Troll smile.gif

Your either blind, retarded or messing with me.

Counterparts is full of Trolls.

I'm like Sam Jackson in "Jumper" trying to rid the world of them.

QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Feb 19 2011, 07:59 PM)
Vapor Trails.

laugh.gif

In what universe?

Sorry dude but who in the hell has ever heard of rate your music?

Vapor Trails is their best album since Power Windows.

A new Rush album will always draw criticisim by the "Old Rush Fans" who are admittedly stuck in the 70's waiting for Hemispheres Pt. 2. Those who won't allow themselves to like new Rush, for fear of admitting their beloved band still makes great music.

The lines have been drawn amongst some Rush fans, and that's just "How It Is"

i think some of it has to do with them running out of creative juices, and that's natural, but nick r. didn't help on s & a. they need someone who will be openly critical and honest and tell it like it is instead of a guy who is so gaga over working with them and tells them to use a melatron. they need someone who will be brutally honest.

60 percent demos means nothing. All that means is the songs were recorded at an earlier part in the process than usual. The band said they did this because they wanted to keep the raw emotions and spontaniety intact.

Also, Vapor Trails will never rate as high as it should due to the sound issues. Even people that love the record downgrade it due to the sound issues.

Rate yourmusic has absolutely zero credibility. The fact that you just mentioned that Feedback rates higher than VT shows what a joke your favorite website is. If you believe that album is more beloved by fans than you just lost all credibility.

Finally, the fact that you make a joke about VT in your tagline proves that your are effected by how profound an impact this record has had on serious Rush fans. It bothers you, and that proves my point about being stuck in the past, and not allowing yourself to love new Rush. For some reason fans of the bands older music, feel the need to defend it and make a point that they don't like the new stuff. Why is that? Rush fans that prefer the new stuff are in no way threatened by fans whom like the old stuff.

As for VT vs. Snakes...Not even close. VT blows it out of the water. Snakes is an average Rush album. Vapor Trails is a masterpiece.

QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Feb 20 2011, 01:59 PM)
Also, Vapor Trails will never rate as high as it should due to the sound issues. Even people that love the record downgrade it due to the sound issues.

Nonsense. Good songs will like so shine through a bad production job. So there. Troll.

If Vapid Trials were that good it would have sold in larger quantities than it did. On the whole people didn't like it as much as what Rush had done before. I know a hardcore Rush fan who threw VT out of his car window because he couldn't bear to listen to it.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Feb 20 2011, 09:11 AM)
Also, Vapor Trails will never rate as high as it should due to the sound issues.  Even people that love the record downgrade it due to the sound issues.

Nonsense. Good songs will like so shine through a bad production job. So there. Troll.

If Vapid Trials were that good it would have sold in larger quantities than it did. On the whole people didn't like it as much as what Rush had done before. I know a hardcore Rush fan who threw VT out of his car window because he couldn't bear to listen to it.

that's true because regardless of what people say, certain songs for me on vt sound good and i don't hear the production problem. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Feb 20 2011, 09:11 AM)
Also, Vapor Trails will never rate as high as it should due to the sound issues.  Even people that love the record downgrade it due to the sound issues.

i wish a state trooper was behind you to pull your ass over. angry.gif

QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Feb 20 2011, 06:59 AM)
60 percent demos means nothing.  All that means is the songs were recorded at an earlier part in the process than usual.  The band said they did this because they wanted to keep the raw emotions and spontaniety intact.

Call it what you will. What for you is raw emotions and spontaneity for me is horribly unfocused and messy. It sounds to me like the songs needed a hell of a lot more work. Maybe some more melody? A tiny bit of breathing room? A hint of subtlety? Lyrics that weren't serious downers? Instrument separation? God forbid a guitar solo?

I wish it was merely the sound issues. I've heard the version where someone cleaned up the sound where it isn't at least physically painful to listen to. All it does is point out the glaring deficiencies in the songs even more. Same with the two remixed songs. No help at all.

Rate yourmusic has absolutely zero credibility.

laugh.gif If you say so! Maybe you wouldn't feel that way if the statistics agreed with your opinion, but whatever. I don't always agree with the way people vote en masse. I think the first album and HYF are rated way too low on that site, but at least I can admit that in general they're thought of as lesser albums, even if I personally disagree. It's not the site's fault. The numbers are what they are.

The fact that you just mentioned that Feedback rates higher than VT shows what a joke your favorite website is.

Or maybe it shows that VT REALLY IS rated that low among many Rush fans? I personally rate Feedback higher than 4 of their studio albums easily. It's not their finest moment for sure, and I wish they had spent their time on original songs instead of covers, but at least with Feedback I don't skip any tracks.

If you believe that album is more beloved by fans than you just lost all credibility.

It has NOTHING to do with what I think, it has to do with the numbers of people voting. If you don't want to accept that, there's nothing I can do.

Finally, the fact that you make a joke about VT in your tagline proves that your are effected by how profound an impact this record has had on serious Rush fans.  It bothers you, and that proves my point about being stuck in the past, and not allowing yourself to love new Rush.  For some reason fans of the bands older music, feel the need to defend it and make a point that they don't like the new stuff.  Why is that?  Rush fans that prefer the new stuff are in no way threatened by fans whom like the old stuff.

I had nothing to do with putting Vapor Trailz Rulez under my user name. The mods and admins do that. They thought it was funny because I'm known for not liking the album. It is kind of funny, but it wouldn't have been my choice to put that there.

And once again, did you completely miss where I say that I love a lot of Snakes & Arrows? If new Rush music is great, I'll be the first one to say it. I feel no need to defend older Rush as its greatness speaks for itself, and I'm not threatened or whatever other ridiculous excuse you want to throw at me for not liking the album. I just think it's by far their worst album after giving it many, many, many listens, far more chances than I ever would an album I don't like. Do you think after 6 years of waiting that I WANTED to hate the album? No way. It took me quite awhile to accept that it was a bad album, and it was a painful process.

As for VT vs. Snakes...Not even close.  VT blows it out of the water.  Snakes is an average Rush album.  Vapor Trails is a masterpiece.

laugh.gif you keep telling yourself that.

God, S&A was a million times better. You don't want to deal with the results of voting of hundreds, and often thousands of people in rating their albums. That's fine. It shouldn't change your individual opinion, but to deny that the voting goes the way it does and say that the album will "go down as one of their best" is simply untrue.

I do love how 90% of all "album" threads end up discussing Vapor Trails. Personally I think the songs are mediocre at best.

In the late 70's and early 80's though, they had a 7 album run of great albums. Hemispheres through Hold you fire were all pretty good musically in my opinion.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 20 2011, 08:32 AM)
ha yea s & a was a real comeback.  i would take the vt direction over s & a anyday going into this new album. vt doesn't sound thrown together at all to me, and although not every song on the album is a winner, the others make up for it which is more than i can say for s & a.  it just sounds so forced, with geddy singing all over it, neil trying to jam a book into every song all the while sounding like he was ramming it through.  alex was frustrated going into that album and was looking for a spark which is why he approached david gilmour looking for ideas.  he didn't find much and it sounds like it on s & a.  nick r. didn't exactly help the cause.  he's exactly the type they don't need.

geddy singing all over it and neil trying to jam a book into every song? are you SURE you aren't talking about VT? S&A not only has THREE instrumentals, but it has songs with some actual musical breathing room to them, very sparse use of the Geddy choir, and even some guitar solos, not to mention pretty clear production. sounds like a million percent improvement to me.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 19 2011, 12:08 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Feb 19 2011, 10:59 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 19 2011, 10:02 AM)
Vapor Trails.

laugh.gif

In what universe?

orig. post asked for individual opinions, not the masses and not your skewed version of what you think everyone else should feel... wtf.gif

laugh.gif again.

he was saying that VT will "go down as one of their best." i was merely commenting that, with some hard facts and figures to back it up, that is simply not the case. for him personally it might be the case, but in general, not even close.

and just because i'm opinionated and express my opinions doesn't mean for a second that i think everyone else or anyone else should feel anything. everyone is entitled to feel about rush and any given album whatever they like. i hold no illusions that my opinions will ever change anyone else's opinions, just as i know other people's opinions won't change how i feel. should that stop us from expressing our opinions and engaging in discussion?

History will not show Vapor Trails as one of the greatest albums of there career. Its up to the real fans to determine these things for themselves.

I personally think S&A is vastly overrated but I'm happy it brought much success to my beloved Rush.

Rock on! atickhum.gif

yea that's great it put money in their pockets but i wanted something i could listen to and enjoy. they had great early on success and this gave them the room to do anything and still have people turn out for the shows.

Great early success? I'd say they have had a little more then just great early success. Just a wee bit off on that statement. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 20 2011, 01:53 PM)
Vapor Trails.

laugh.gif

In what universe?

laugh.gif again.

History will not show Vapor Trails as one of the greatest albums of there career. Its up to the real fans to determine these things for themselves.

I personally think S&A is vastly overrated but I'm happy it brought much success to my beloved Rush.

Rock on! atickhum.gif

yea that's great it put money in their pockets but i wanted something i could listen to and enjoy. they had great early on success and this gave them the room to do anything and still have people turn out for the shows.

Great early success? I'd say they have had a little more then just great early success. Just a wee bit off on that statement. atickhum.gif

i don't. do you think they would have the following they have today without everything up to mp? it definitely enabled them to take more chances without having to worry too much.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 20 2011, 04:01 PM)
Vapor Trails.

laugh.gif

In what universe?

laugh.gif again.

Rock on! atickhum.gif

i don't. do you think they would have the following they have today without everything up to mp? it definitely enabled them to take more chances without having to worry too much.

It begs an interesting question. Would Rush have been a successful band if say they started with say Roll the Bones, or Vapor Trails, or Snakes & Arrows? Is the music good enough on any of those albums where people would have stood up and taken notice had they not already had their reputation and fan base? Do songs on those albums or those albums as a whole stand up on their own? Of course you have factors like the music industry isn't what it was back when they became popular, or you wouldn't have the record company promoting them the same, etc., but if say the circumstances were the same, would those albums have propelled them into stardom? It's an interesting conversation to have. wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 20 2011, 07:47 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 20 2011, 04:01 PM)
Vapor Trails.

laugh.gif

In what universe?

laugh.gif again.

Rock on! atickhum.gif

It begs an interesting question. Would Rush have been a successful band if say they started with say Roll the Bones, or Vapor Trails, or Snakes & Arrows? Is the music good enough on any of those albums where people would have stood up and taken notice had they not already had their reputation and fan base? Do songs on those albums or those albums as a whole stand up on their own? Of course you have factors like the music industry isn't what it was back when they became popular, or you wouldn't have the record company promoting them the same, etc., but if say the circumstances were the same, would those albums have propelled them into stardom? It's an interesting conversation to have. wink.gif

Its a mute point. Its not really an interesting question because Rush did have early success and whether or not there later albums were your cup of tea, they were good enough in the eyes of there fans to sustain them and even grow the fan base. Talk to the 20 something generation of Rush fans like Tarkus and they will tell you how much they love the later day Rush music.

Not many bands can hang there hats on the albums they made 20+ years into there careers, but if they are still able to make them and succeed they are far ahead of 99% of all artists.

You all know I'm right on. atickhum.gif

All right.. well.. I'm not going to try and understand this conversation, which I'm betting has something to do with Vapor Trails, kind of like how I'm not going to try and understand Tick's avatar...

...So I'll just answer the question.

In my most honest opinion, the last album that really blew my mind was... Permanent Waves.

A little surprising, for me? Maybe. But as much as I love all the other albums, and they all have at least one or two songs that blew me away, the last one that just hits me "Pow!" in the face was PeW. I know, I know, as usual it's all because of NatSci... but I really believe they haven't done better since.

Lyrically, I find all the songs very, very moving. Each carries a deep message for me, especially the "freedom of music" line in SotR and "art as expression / not as market campaigns" in NatSci. And, of course, the music's excellent and beautifully varied!

CD, MP3, LP, I love this album so much. Heck, in some ways, I might say I like PeW over Hemispheres!

But who knows? Maybe CA will change that perception of mine. Let's hope it's the next to blow my mind.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Feb 21 2011, 01:01 AM)
All right.. well.. I'm not going to try and understand this conversation, which I'm betting has something to do with Vapor Trails, kind of like how I'm not going to try and understand Tick's avatar...
...So I'll just answer the question.

In my most honest opinion, the last album that really blew my mind was... Permanent Waves.
A little surprising, for me? Maybe. But as much as I love all the other albums, and they all have at least one or two songs that blew me away, the last one that just hits me "Pow!" in the face was PeW. I know, I know, as usual it's all because of NatSci... but I really believe they haven't done better since.
Lyrically, I find all the songs very, very moving. Each carries a deep message for me, especially the "freedom of music" line in SotR and "art as expression / not as market campaigns" in NatSci. And, of course, the music's excellent and beautifully varied!
CD, MP3, LP, I love this album so much. Heck, in some ways, I might say I like PeW over Hemispheres!

But who knows? Maybe CA will change that perception of mine. Let's hope it's the next to blow my mind.

What don't you understand about my avatar? atickhum.gif

At Rushgoober,

I did not want to quote 6 blocks of replies. But to answer your question about post 80's Rush being able to draw in fans. My then new girlfriend (now my wife of 12 years) loved Test For Echo. We met after that album was released and I took her to that tour after dating for only 2 months (front row in front of Geddy wow!). Well after our first 2 dates the important questions of music (to me musical taste tells me almost everything about people) came to light and I asked her about Rush.....first comment was, yeah I love that song on the radio Test for Echo, they sound like a great band. She was 21 at the time and had never been exposed to Rush. Needless to say she did not have a clue it was the same band that played Tom Sawyer and TSOR ( which after playing her she said oh yeah I have heard these songs before). She still adores Test for Echo as one of her top 5 Rush albums (not mine) and proves that even their newer stuff was drawing in another generation of fans.

I have met people that swear by Roll the Bones and Counterparts as the albums that hooked them.

Rush just has that power. When your good....your good.

Archived