Guitar players!

• Please log in to reply
1247 replies to this topic

#21 LakesideMaiden

LakesideMaiden

Geddy's Bard

• Members *
  • 11564 posts
  • Interests:Rush.....um......Rush.....and.....um.......Rush......oh yeah, and RUSH! Other than that, I play the guitar, sing, love most kinds of music, including country (I sing that professionally), love photography, art, and hockey.

Posted 03 October 2004 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 3 2004, 08:29 AM)
QUOTE (Rhiannon_of_Rivendell @ Oct 3 2004, 01:28 AM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Sep 30 2004, 11:09 PM)
QUOTE (Rhiannon_of_Rivendell @ Sep 30 2004, 02:28 PM)
<snip>

Sister-Mine, should I post some of the Dad & his Maplecaster?

oh yes, post mine and daddy's guitter smile.gif  we made it ourselves smile.gif  I luv that guitar like it was me own!

OK, when I get back to school Monday, I will try & locate and make web-friendly some shots of the Maplecaster, Disastercaster & MY baby, the 175  smile.gif

In really need to see what a Disastercaster looks like... ohmy.gif  biggrin.gif

There's a long story behind that....see when my dad was making that guitar, he had many mishaps.  The first thing that happened, after he had stained the body )of course), was he accidentally dropped a screwdriver on the body of the guitar, and it made a slight depression in the wood.  Now, my father being the perfectionist that he is, had to sand down that spot on the body to take the depression out, then restain that area, match it up perfectly, then go and refinish the whole thing....sigh....it was a long process.  Then when he was putting on the backplate, he drilled the hole for one of the screws too deep, and had to put a bit of dowel into the hole to fill it up...then when he was filing the graphite nut, he filed down too far on (i think) 3 of them....finally the fourth was good.  So he dubbed that one the DisasterCaster and so it has been ever since, and you will often hear him say that you will never hear a sweeter sounding guitar in the world wink.gif

Sponsored Post

#22 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 33770 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:40 AM

Great story! Brian May still plays the same guitar he and his dad built years ago, and no guitar sounds quite like it.

#23 Indica

Indica

Resident Left Winger

• Members
  • 13031 posts
  • Interests:Guitar
    My Girlfriend
    Fishing
    Music
    Helping out other people
    Football
    T&A
    Nature

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 4 2004, 12:40 AM)
Great story! Brian May still plays the same guitar he and his dad built years ago, and no guitar sounds quite like it.

The lead that Brian May plays in "we will rock you" has a sound that I have never heard in my life.  AlexFinal.gif  

#24 LakesideMaiden

LakesideMaiden

Geddy's Bard

• Members *
  • 11564 posts
  • Interests:Rush.....um......Rush.....and.....um.......Rush......oh yeah, and RUSH! Other than that, I play the guitar, sing, love most kinds of music, including country (I sing that professionally), love photography, art, and hockey.

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 4 2004, 01:40 AM)

Thanks smile.gif  yeah not too many sound as sweet as that one...except the Maplecaster, which is the one he and I made together smile.gif

#25 CygnusX-1Bk2

CygnusX-1Bk2

Certified Verbal Ass Kicker

• 3774 posts
  • Interests:Sound Design & Effects for games and picture (my main gig). Music (sometimes more than a hobby, it's paid the bills at times).
    Sound recording, which is also my job.
    Baseball.

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Indica @ Oct 3 2004, 11:07 PM)

The lead that Brian May plays in "we will rock you" has a sound that I have never heard in my life.  AlexFinal.gif

That's Old Red through Vox amps. May's Old Red was quite innovative when he made it. Each pickup has a polarity switch. It is a very versatile guitar. Made from the mantle of his parent's fireplace.

#26 rushfanNlv

rushfanNlv

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2072 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 02:14 PM

Hi! I'm new to the board but here is me stuff. Check it out at my crappy AOL page. The only things that are not on that site are my RedBear 4x12 cabinet with celestian white backs and the Original Roland CE-1 I just picked up on ebay. I can't wait to hear that pedal and play my Epi Dot through it.  AlexFinal.gif  

#27 Drumnut

Drumnut

Bill Gates

• Members *
  • 18341 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Oct 6 2004, 02:14 PM)
Hi! I'm new to the board but here is me stuff. Check it out at my crappy AOL page. The only things that are not on that site are my RedBear 4x12 cabinet with celestian white backs and the Original Roland CE-1 I just picked up on ebay. I can't wait to hear that pedal and play my Epi Dot through it.  AlexFinal.gif

Welcome to the Rush Forum rushfanNlv! Enjoy yourself here.  bekloppt.gif  cool10.gif    

#28 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 33770 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Oct 6 2004, 03:14 PM)

Cool pics! I used to have a big pedalboard like that, now I have a rack. I should scan those pics and post them.

#29 yoda

yoda

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:music,stars and planets,politics, and movies

Posted 07 October 2004 - 10:28 AM

play guitar,bass, and keyboards unfortunatly I had to pawn my stuff to get back to the city but will soon have it back again use to play metal and cassic rock got roland rs-9,yamaha guitar ,pearl 5 piece drumset(not in pawn) ampeg amp and orange play clubs for about 15 to 20 years. my wife sing and plays guitar and keyboards and drums she is a very talented singer and can sing anything from janis joplin to rush I love it when she sings RUSH does it very natural  2.gif  

#30 Indica

Indica

Resident Left Winger

• Members
  • 13031 posts
    My Girlfriend
    Fishing
    Music
    Helping out other people
    Football
    T&A
    Nature

Posted 07 October 2004 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Oct 4 2004, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Oct 3 2004, 11:07 PM)

The lead that Brian May plays in "we will rock you" has a sound that I have never heard in my life.  AlexFinal.gif

That's Old Red through Vox amps. May's Old Red was quite innovative when he made it. Each pickup has a polarity switch. It is a very versatile guitar. Made from the mantle of his parent's fireplace.

I also heard that Linsey Buckingham gets part of his sound from using a nickle as a pick. I read this a long time ago in guitar mag, I guess it makes sense and would change the sound some. I tried it on an old guitar that I had just for the hell of it and broke a lot of strings in the process lol.  

#31 CygnusX-1Bk2

CygnusX-1Bk2

Certified Verbal Ass Kicker

• 3774 posts
  • Interests:Sound Design & Effects for games and picture (my main gig). Music (sometimes more than a hobby, it's paid the bills at times).
    Sound recording, which is also my job.
    Baseball.

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:39 PM

As far as I know Lindsay Buckingham doesn't use a pick at all. He is all fingers. That's how he gets those great arpeggios and melodic harmonies.

I read that Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top uses quarters for picks. Something about getting a roll of quarters on a regular basis for his pick supply. There was a cool pick centerfold in Guitar Player back in the mid 80s that had picks from most known players of the time, including Alex. There was a scarred quarter with Billy Gibbons name under it.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2, 07 October 2004 - 04:40 PM.

#32 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 33770 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Oct 7 2004, 05:39 PM)
As far as I know Lindsay Buckingham doesn't use a pick at all. He is all fingers. That's how he gets those great arpeggios and melodic harmonies.

yes.gif  

#33 Indica

Indica

Resident Left Winger

• Members
  • 13031 posts
    My Girlfriend
    Fishing
    Music
    Helping out other people
    Football
    T&A
    Nature

Posted 07 October 2004 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 7 2004, 05:25 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Oct 7 2004, 05:39 PM)

yes.gif

Hmmm well I read that somewhere a few years ago but I guess just because I read it somewhere, it doesn't make it true.  confused13.gif

You know, now that I think about it he does use his fingers most of the time. What I read in guitar mag could have been talking about one certain song that he plays.  

Edited by Indica, 07 October 2004 - 06:08 PM.

#34 yoda

yoda

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:music,stars and planets,politics, and movies

Posted 08 October 2004 - 10:59 PM

what cygnus said is true lindsey hope I spelled it right does uses his fingers to play but that doesn't mean he has never used his fingers he is a great guitar player with amazon style but he don't hold a candle to alex

#35 Snowdog

Snowdog

In a van...DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!

• 8805 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 10:43 AM

I don't play much anymore, and sold most of my gear. But I held onto my '78 (I think) Tobacco Sunburst Les Paul Deluxe, my 1983 Ovation Elite (essentially an Adamas with a spruce top), and an inexpensive but absolutely beautiful sounding Yahmaha 12 string. When I was 17 (in 1984) I was sooooo stupid. The LP Deluxe was made with the mini humbuckers and I thought some Carvin M22 regular size humbuckers would sound great in there. So I routed out the LP to put in the Carvins (yea, I know. dumb dumb dumb). Still sounds sweet though.

My son is currently taking guitar lessons. He is interested but seems to be gravitating towards the bass. Every time we go into a store, he wants to try out a bass. Says he loves the sound. He loves listening to Ged's bass work. Soooo, I guess we'll get him a bass for his birthday next month.

#36 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 33770 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Oct 16 2004, 11:43 AM)
My son is currently taking guitar lessons. He is interested but seems to be gravitating towards the bass. Every time we go into a store, he wants to try out a bass. Says he loves the sound. He loves listening to Ged's bass work. Soooo, I guess we'll get him a bass for his birthday next month.

That's great! The world needs more good bass players anyway!  GeddyFinal.gif  

#37 Snowdog

Snowdog

• 8805 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 16 2004, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Oct 16 2004, 11:43 AM)

That's great! The world needs more good bass players anyway!  GeddyFinal.gif

Yeah, I'd love to get him a Rick 4001, but he's only 10 and that thing weighs as much as he does  biggrin.gif . Since he's just starting out, I'm leaning towards a Jr. Scale Squire Bronco bass. It's a pretty decent bass for $160. If he sticks with it, and grows some, then I might pop for the Rick  wink.gif .

By the way, I've been pretty much out of the music scene until my son began lessons and in a store the other day I saw an Epiphone doubleneck. Naturally, being an Epi, it is a carbon copy of the Gibson 612's and it sounded awesome. Anyone else seen these or played one? The little kid in me wants that thing soooo bad. tongue.gif  

#38 gaffney2005

gaffney2005

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 01:12 PM

Dude My guitar is so old its from montgomery wards when has montgomerey wards ever sold a guitar?

its so beat any cheap but good guitars out there hook me up lol

NeilFinal.gif  

#39 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 33770 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 7 2004, 10:00 AM)
I used to have a big pedalboard like that, now I have a rack. I should scan those pics and post them.

Ok, I finally scanned these old photos...

Here's my old pedal board, which no longer exists. The only things I still use from this are the MXR Flanger (now installed in my rack), the Cry Baby Wah and the Morley Volume pedal.

user posted image

And here's my Gibson Les Paul. Love the color...

user posted image

#40 Snowdog

Snowdog

• 8805 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 22 2004, 07:58 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 7 2004, 10:00 AM)
I used to have a big pedalboard like that, now I have a rack. I should scan those pics and post them.

Ok, I finally scanned these old photos...

Here's my old pedal board, which no longer exists. The only things I still use from this are the MXR Flanger (now installed in my rack), the Cry Baby Wah and the Morley Volume pedal.

user posted image

And here's my Gibson Les Paul. Love the color...

user posted image

is that a MXR Distortion+ in there? the distortion+ was the first pedal i ever bought. i thought i was sooooooooo cool  biggrin.gif

Edited by Snowdog, 22 October 2004 - 08:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users