• Members *
  • 20735 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:37 PM

View PostMaverick, on 05 April 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

View PostJARG, on 05 April 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

View PostMaverick, on 05 April 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

Posted Image

My newest Overdrive edition, an Earthquaker Devices Palisades OD!

That's cool. What do the mini toggles control?
The left one is a dark/bright switch, and the right one is an on/off buffer switch.

Seems like a pretty cool pedal!

Sponsored Post

#1242 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24687 posts
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:36 PM

View PostJARG, on 05 April 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

Posted Image

The left one is a dark/bright switch, and the right one is an on/off buffer switch.

One of these days, I'll actually get to take it for a test drive. :lol:

#1243 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 20735 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:53 PM

View PostMaverick, on 05 April 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

Posted Image

If I get one, will I be as good as the guy in the video?

#1244 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1683 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:00 PM

Pedals are back in fashion now which is good I believe

I had loads in the 70's and 80's. I still have a couple of Ibanez tube Screamers and an Ibanez distortion pedal and 5 band graphic EQ.

I think the reason they went out of fashion is because it took so much time to wire them all up in a live situation with little jack plugs and batteries and the power plants were fiddly and unreliable. For live work I used a Boss ME6 pedal board from 1992 onwards. Just one power input and it gave me everything. Chorus, Echo, Reverb, EQ, Flanging, Distortion, Overdrive and Noise Reduction.

I still have it, a very robust little unit and at the time for live work it was a complete no brainer.

Steve

#1245 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24687 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:08 PM

View PostJARG, on 05 April 2017 - 09:53 PM, said:

View PostMaverick, on 05 April 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

Posted Image

If I get one, will I be as good as the guy in the video?

Andy is pretty good, but I think you can be just as good, in your own way.

:lol:

#1246 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24687 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

This is the video that really made me want the Palisades.

And this was the video that made me want to get it right away.

#1247 TFEman

TFEman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Interests:Rush, guitar, drums, tv, food

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

Just got my Floyd Rose Original 1984 Reissue in the mail. Man, it's already top notch. The block is solid brass and it weighs a TON. I have a Special in my Epi Les Paul Pro/fx which is surprisingly good quality for around $100. The weight difference is kind-of crazy.

#1248 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4545 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:21 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 15 November 2016 - 03:03 PM, said:

Got a new addition to the stable a couple of months ago. Finally getting around to posting pictures.

About a year ago I was talking about having a Carvin PRS-type built, and I pulled the trigger earlier this spring.

As for the name on the headstock, the guitar building section of Carvin split off into a separate company this year, and now they're known under the name of Kiesel.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
I came across a youtube a couple of days ago of Joe Walsh lovin on his Carvin.

https://www.youtube....h?v=CWQ5tujZ54M

Edited by HemiBeers, 18 July 2017 - 08:50 PM.

#1249 ConfuciousBeethoven

ConfuciousBeethoven

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:prog rock, hiking

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:30 PM

My main guitar is a Signature Oracle. Yes you heard it correctly, a Signature guitar from Alex's short-lived foray into being part owner of a guitar manufacturer back in the late 80's. It's neck-through body design with a dark blue flame maple top over an ash body. The Luthier for the Signatures was a guy in Quebec whose name I never got. The guitar's serial number is NT0957.

It originally came with Schaller hardware, including a set of gold plated strings (Fancy!), strap locks and a Fender bridge clone, also by Schaller. After 2 decades of playing and sweat, the bridge hardware started to flake and show its age, so I replaced the corroded bridge hardware with a real Fender floating bridge. I don't play guitar too much anymore. I now find playing bass more satisfying. Working on the theme to Barney Miller...

The story of how I wound up with the Signature is as follows.

As an aspiring guitar hero back in high school, I had myself a Les Paul "clone" sold in Canada, going by the name of Phoenix ( "clone" in brackets because I have since played actual Les Pauls, and the Phoenix dosen't come remotely close to a Paul, even factoring in the decline of the Les Pauls' wood in the 70's).

Anyway, like many of you, I noticed an ad in Guitar Player magazine in the late 80's with Alex Lifeson holding a up a pretty cool looking, futuristic guitar of his own design. Upon further inspection of the ad, I practically shit myself when I saw the address of the company. It was located in Aurora, Ontario. I lived in Aurora Ontario!! Could this be true? Alex Lifeson putters around in a guitar factory 15 minutes from my house!?!

I immediately jumped on my bike and rode like a maniac over to Industrial Parkway looking for the address from the magazine. 14 sweaty, heart palpitating minutes later I was lurking around the far end of a small industrial park, trying to see inside an open shipping bay door.

Eventually I was spotted by an employee and informed that no, they weren't hiring. I was too freaked out to even mention Alex's name. I headed home, disappointed that an audience with greatness was not in my immediate future.

However, about 6 months later later I discovered that my sister's fiance's younger brother Scott had been working in Signature's shipping department and he was about to move on to another job. He put in a recommendation for me and I ended up working in the shipping and receiving department for the 4 month run up to Christmas. Crazy!.

During that time, with the owner, Russ Heinl's approval, I also hawked equipment to my high school buddies. Signature was also the licensed distributor of Metaltronics and Trace Elliot amps, wireless radio systems, DOD pedals, and a bunch of other stuff that seriously raised my cool factor at school. However, Shortly after Christmas I was laid off, as the whole venture was being shut down. This was a complete surprise to me. The market realities of a small Canadian boutique guitar manufacturer swept Signature Guitars into the dustbin of history.

However, as I was being gently ejected from the premises I asked the owner, Russ if he wanted to sell one of the guitars still hanging in inventory. He was happy to exchange some inventory for cash at that point, so $800 later I walked out into an uncertain future, but somewhat consoled by the fact that I had a skookum guitar for a very good price, and I had met Alex! One day he showed up to meet with Russ (probably about the impending closure) and I got to shake his hand and had him sign the cover of my Presto CD. Wish I still had that. However, the guitar is the real treasure, along with my memories of the elation of being improbably handed a job at a guitar factory owned by the guitarist in my favourite band!

One final note: All of you on this forum are most likely aware of what is known as the "Alex Lifeson" chord. But did he invent it?  Could someone else in a prog rock band have influenced him? Check out track 5 of the Strawbs' 1973 album "Bursting At The Seams":"Down By The Sea". I believe this song may have inspired Alex. Great album IMHO.

Edited by ConfuciousBeethoven, 12 July 2018 - 06:48 PM.

#1250 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 12305 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:31 PM

View PostConfuciousBeethoven, on 12 July 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

My main guitar is a Signature Oracle. Yes you heard it correctly, a Signature guitar from Alex's short-lived foray into being part owner of a guitar manufacturer back in the late 80's. It's neck-through body design with a dark blue flame maple top over an ash body. The Luthier for the Signatures was a guy in Quebec whose name I never got. The guitar's serial number is NT0957.

It originally came with Schaller hardware, including a set of gold plated strings (Fancy!), strap locks and a Fender bridge clone, also by Schaller. After 2 decades of playing and sweat, the bridge hardware started to flake and show its age, so I replaced the corroded bridge hardware with a real Fender floating bridge. I don't play guitar too much anymore. I now find playing bass more satisfying. Working on the theme to Barney Miller...

The story of how I wound up with the Signature is as follows.

As an aspiring guitar hero back in high school, I had myself a Les Paul "clone" sold in Canada, going by the name of Phoenix ( "clone" in brackets because I have since played actual Les Pauls, and the Phoenix dosen't come remotely close to a Paul, even factoring in the decline of the Les Pauls' wood in the 70's).

Anyway, like many of you, I noticed an ad in Guitar Player magazine in the late 80's with Alex Lifeson holding a up a pretty cool looking, futuristic guitar of his own design. Upon further inspection of the ad, I practically shit myself when I saw the address of the company. It was located in Aurora, Ontario. I lived in Aurora Ontario!! Could this be true? Alex Lifeson putters around in a guitar factory 15 minutes from my house!?!

I immediately jumped on my bike and rode like a maniac over to Industrial Parkway looking for the address from the magazine. 14 sweaty, heart palpitating minutes later I was lurking around the far end of a small industrial park, trying to see inside an open shipping bay door.

Eventually I was spotted by an employee and informed that no, they weren't hiring. I was too freaked out to even mention Alex's name. I headed home, disappointed that an audience with greatness was not in my immediate future.

However, about 6 months later later I discovered that my sister's fiance's younger brother Scott had been working in Signature's shipping department and he was about to move on to another job. He put in a recommendation for me and I ended up working in the shipping and receiving department for the 4 month run up to Christmas. Crazy!.

During that time, with the owner, Russ Heinl's approval, I also hawked equipment to my high school buddies. Signature was also the licensed distributor of Metaltronics and Trace Elliot amps, wireless radio systems, DOD pedals, and a bunch of other stuff that seriously raised my cool factor at school. However, Shortly after Christmas I was laid off, as the whole venture was being shut down. This was a complete surprise to me. The market realities of a small Canadian boutique guitar manufacturer swept Signature Guitars into the dustbin of history.

However, as I was being gently ejected from the premises I asked the owner, Russ if he wanted to sell one of the guitars still hanging in inventory. He was happy to exchange some inventory for cash at that point, so $800 later I walked out into an uncertain future, but somewhat consoled by the fact that I had a skookum guitar for a very good price, and I had met Alex! One day he showed up to meet with Russ (probably about the impending closure) and I got to shake his hand and had him sign the cover of my Presto CD. Wish I still had that. However, the guitar is the real treasure, along with my memories of the elation of being improbably handed a job at a guitar factory owned by the guitarist in my favourite band!

One final note: All of you on this forum are most likely aware of what is known as the "Alex Lifeson" chord. But did he invent it?  Could someone else in a prog rock band have influenced him? Check out track 5 of the Strawbs' 1973 album "Bursting At The Seams":"Down By The Sea". I believe this song may have inspired Alex. Great album IMHO.

Welcome to the forum CB

You mean the "Alex Chord" as in the F#7 sus4 starting at the second fret ( w/ the open E and B ) ??  

I'm sure Alex listened to The Strawbs ... Down By The Sea sounds a lot like No One At The Bridge ( or vice versa ) -- that same sus chord feel ...

Pinball Wizard also has that same feel .... I think the sus chords / the open strings were/are a big thing with acoustic guitarists who needed to take up a lot of space when playing alone ..

#1251 daveyt

daveyt

Non Sequitur

• Members *
  • 8335 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:51 PM

polished these pickups the other day just in case you-know-who walks in

<iframe%20src= smh

Edited by daveyt, 26 August 2018 - 08:01 PM.

#1252 ElfDude

ElfDude

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Music, Carvin guitars and amps

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:14 PM

My main guitars are all from the Carvin / Kiesel factory in California.

Posted Image

My most recent acquisition is a guitar originally built by them for Joe Walsh. I'm really excited about this one, even if I'm not worthy of owning it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

For many years I only played Carvin amps. Still have one of their tweed Nomad combos, along with a tweed Vintage 16 heard with a 4x10 speaker cab.

But for the last year or so I've been gigging almost exclusively with amps by Quilter. Have an Aviator Twin Ten combo and a MicroBlock 45 head. They're working out really well for me. 8)

#1253 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 60763 posts
  • Interests:Ted Nugent

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:17 AM

View PostElfDude, on 18 October 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

My main guitars are all from the Carvin / Kiesel factory in California.

Posted Image

My most recent acquisition is a guitar originally built by them for Joe Walsh. I'm really excited about this one, even if I'm not worthy of owning it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

For many years I only played Carvin amps. Still have one of their tweed Nomad combos, along with a tweed Vintage 16 heard with a 4x10 speaker cab.

But for the last year or so I've been gigging almost exclusively with amps by Quilter. Have an Aviator Twin Ten combo and a MicroBlock 45 head. They're working out really well for me. 8)
That is a beautiful guitar!

#1254 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4545 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:30 PM

joe lovin him some carvin

hard to argue with that

#1255 ElfDude

ElfDude

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Music, Carvin guitars and amps

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:51 AM

View PostHemiBeers, on 21 October 2018 - 08:30 PM, said:

joe lovin him some carvin

hard to argue with that

I know, right?

That video made me want a California Carved Top from them SOOOO bad.
Finally got one a few years back. :)

Edited by ElfDude, 22 October 2018 - 08:54 AM.

#1256 winter17

winter17

The Seeker

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Watching the Crimson Tide, playing guitar, and the occasional dive into American politics.

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:37 PM

I am the owner of a Ephiphone Goldtop Les Paul, a Peavey guitar that looks like a red raptor but isn't quite that so I'm not exactly sure, and a Peavey acoustic. The Les Paul gets the most wear and the electric Peavey really just collects dust. Not the most outstanding guitars in the world, but they get the job done for me. I dream of the day when I can afford an ES-355 and a Gibson Les Paul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users