• Members *
  • 20390 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:37 PM

View PostMaverick, on 05 April 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

View PostJARG, on 05 April 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

View PostMaverick, on 05 April 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

Posted Image

My newest Overdrive edition, an Earthquaker Devices Palisades OD!

That's cool. What do the mini toggles control?
The left one is a dark/bright switch, and the right one is an on/off buffer switch.

Seems like a pretty cool pedal!

Sponsored Post

#1242 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24627 posts
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:36 PM

View PostJARG, on 05 April 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

Posted Image

The left one is a dark/bright switch, and the right one is an on/off buffer switch.

One of these days, I'll actually get to take it for a test drive. :lol:

#1243 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 20390 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:53 PM

View PostMaverick, on 05 April 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

Posted Image

If I get one, will I be as good as the guy in the video?

#1244 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1683 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:00 PM

Pedals are back in fashion now which is good I believe

I had loads in the 70's and 80's. I still have a couple of Ibanez tube Screamers and an Ibanez distortion pedal and 5 band graphic EQ.

I think the reason they went out of fashion is because it took so much time to wire them all up in a live situation with little jack plugs and batteries and the power plants were fiddly and unreliable. For live work I used a Boss ME6 pedal board from 1992 onwards. Just one power input and it gave me everything. Chorus, Echo, Reverb, EQ, Flanging, Distortion, Overdrive and Noise Reduction.

I still have it, a very robust little unit and at the time for live work it was a complete no brainer.

Steve

#1245 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24627 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:08 PM

View PostJARG, on 05 April 2017 - 09:53 PM, said:

View PostMaverick, on 05 April 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

Posted Image

If I get one, will I be as good as the guy in the video?

Andy is pretty good, but I think you can be just as good, in your own way.

:lol:

#1246 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24627 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

This is the video that really made me want the Palisades.

And this was the video that made me want to get it right away.

#1247 TFEman

TFEman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Interests:Rush, guitar, drums, tv, food

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

Just got my Floyd Rose Original 1984 Reissue in the mail. Man, it's already top notch. The block is solid brass and it weighs a TON. I have a Special in my Epi Les Paul Pro/fx which is surprisingly good quality for around $100. The weight difference is kind-of crazy.

#1248 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4462 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:21 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 15 November 2016 - 03:03 PM, said:

Got a new addition to the stable a couple of months ago. Finally getting around to posting pictures.

About a year ago I was talking about having a Carvin PRS-type built, and I pulled the trigger earlier this spring.

As for the name on the headstock, the guitar building section of Carvin split off into a separate company this year, and now they're known under the name of Kiesel.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
I came across a youtube a couple of days ago of Joe Walsh lovin on his Carvin.

https://www.youtube....h?v=CWQ5tujZ54M

Edited by HemiBeers, 18 July 2017 - 08:50 PM.

#1249 ConfuciousBeethoven

ConfuciousBeethoven

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:prog rock, hiking

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:30 PM

My main guitar is a Signature Oracle. Yes you heard it correctly, a Signature guitar from Alex's short-lived foray into being part owner of a guitar manufacturer back in the late 80's. It's neck-through body design with a dark blue flame maple top over an ash body. The Luthier for the Signatures was a guy in Quebec whose name I never got. The guitar's serial number is NT0957.

It originally came with Schaller hardware, including a set of gold plated strings (Fancy!), strap locks and a Fender bridge clone, also by Schaller. After 2 decades of playing and sweat, the bridge hardware started to flake and show its age, so I replaced the corroded bridge hardware with a real Fender floating bridge. I don't play guitar too much anymore. I now find playing bass more satisfying. Working on the theme to Barney Miller...

The story of how I wound up with the Signature is as follows.

As an aspiring guitar hero back in high school, I had myself a Les Paul "clone" sold in Canada, going by the name of Phoenix ( "clone" in brackets because I have since played actual Les Pauls, and the Phoenix dosen't come remotely close to a Paul, even factoring in the decline of the Les Pauls' wood in the 70's).

Anyway, like many of you, I noticed an ad in Guitar Player magazine in the late 80's with Alex Lifeson holding a up a pretty cool looking, futuristic guitar of his own design. Upon further inspection of the ad, I practically shit myself when I saw the address of the company. It was located in Aurora, Ontario. I lived in Aurora Ontario!! Could this be true? Alex Lifeson putters around in a guitar factory 15 minutes from my house!?!

I immediately jumped on my bike and rode like a maniac over to Industrial Parkway looking for the address from the magazine. 14 sweaty, heart palpitating minutes later I was lurking around the far end of a small industrial park, trying to see inside an open shipping bay door.

Eventually I was spotted by an employee and informed that no, they weren't hiring. I was too freaked out to even mention Alex's name. I headed home, disappointed that an audience with greatness was not in my immediate future.

However, about 6 months later later I discovered that my sister's fiance's younger brother Scott had been working in Signature's shipping department and he was about to move on to another job. He put in a recommendation for me and I ended up working in the shipping and receiving department for the 4 month run up to Christmas. Crazy!.

During that time, with the owner, Russ Heinl's approval, I also hawked equipment to my high school buddies. Signature was also the licensed distributor of Metaltronics and Trace Elliot amps, wireless radio systems, DOD pedals, and a bunch of other stuff that seriously raised my cool factor at school. However, Shortly after Christmas I was laid off, as the whole venture was being shut down. This was a complete surprise to me. The market realities of a small Canadian boutique guitar manufacturer swept Signature Guitars into the dustbin of history.

However, as I was being gently ejected from the premises I asked the owner, Russ if he wanted to sell one of the guitars still hanging in inventory. He was happy to exchange some inventory for cash at that point, so $800 later I walked out into an uncertain future, but somewhat consoled by the fact that I had a skookum guitar for a very good price, and I had met Alex! One day he showed up to meet with Russ (probably about the impending closure) and I got to shake his hand and had him sign the cover of my Presto CD. Wish I still had that. However, the guitar is the real treasure, along with my memories of the elation of being improbably handed a job at a guitar factory owned by the guitarist in my favourite band!

One final note: All of you on this forum are most likely aware of what is known as the "Alex Lifeson" chord. But did he invent it?  Could someone else in a prog rock band have influenced him? Check out track 5 of the Strawbs' 1973 album "Bursting At The Seams":"Down By The Sea". I believe this song may have inspired Alex. Great album IMHO.

Edited by ConfuciousBeethoven, 12 July 2018 - 06:48 PM.

#1250 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 12040 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:31 PM

View PostConfuciousBeethoven, on 12 July 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

My main guitar is a Signature Oracle. Yes you heard it correctly, a Signature guitar from Alex's short-lived foray into being part owner of a guitar manufacturer back in the late 80's. It's neck-through body design with a dark blue flame maple top over an ash body. The Luthier for the Signatures was a guy in Quebec whose name I never got. The guitar's serial number is NT0957.

It originally came with Schaller hardware, including a set of gold plated strings (Fancy!), strap locks and a Fender bridge clone, also by Schaller. After 2 decades of playing and sweat, the bridge hardware started to flake and show its age, so I replaced the corroded bridge hardware with a real Fender floating bridge. I don't play guitar too much anymore. I now find playing bass more satisfying. Working on the theme to Barney Miller...

The story of how I wound up with the Signature is as follows.

As an aspiring guitar hero back in high school, I had myself a Les Paul "clone" sold in Canada, going by the name of Phoenix ( "clone" in brackets because I have since played actual Les Pauls, and the Phoenix dosen't come remotely close to a Paul, even factoring in the decline of the Les Pauls' wood in the 70's).

Anyway, like many of you, I noticed an ad in Guitar Player magazine in the late 80's with Alex Lifeson holding a up a pretty cool looking, futuristic guitar of his own design. Upon further inspection of the ad, I practically shit myself when I saw the address of the company. It was located in Aurora, Ontario. I lived in Aurora Ontario!! Could this be true? Alex Lifeson putters around in a guitar factory 15 minutes from my house!?!

I immediately jumped on my bike and rode like a maniac over to Industrial Parkway looking for the address from the magazine. 14 sweaty, heart palpitating minutes later I was lurking around the far end of a small industrial park, trying to see inside an open shipping bay door.

Eventually I was spotted by an employee and informed that no, they weren't hiring. I was too freaked out to even mention Alex's name. I headed home, disappointed that an audience with greatness was not in my immediate future.

However, about 6 months later later I discovered that my sister's fiance's younger brother Scott had been working in Signature's shipping department and he was about to move on to another job. He put in a recommendation for me and I ended up working in the shipping and receiving department for the 4 month run up to Christmas. Crazy!.

During that time, with the owner, Russ Heinl's approval, I also hawked equipment to my high school buddies. Signature was also the licensed distributor of Metaltronics and Trace Elliot amps, wireless radio systems, DOD pedals, and a bunch of other stuff that seriously raised my cool factor at school. However, Shortly after Christmas I was laid off, as the whole venture was being shut down. This was a complete surprise to me. The market realities of a small Canadian boutique guitar manufacturer swept Signature Guitars into the dustbin of history.

However, as I was being gently ejected from the premises I asked the owner, Russ if he wanted to sell one of the guitars still hanging in inventory. He was happy to exchange some inventory for cash at that point, so $800 later I walked out into an uncertain future, but somewhat consoled by the fact that I had a skookum guitar for a very good price, and I had met Alex! One day he showed up to meet with Russ (probably about the impending closure) and I got to shake his hand and had him sign the cover of my Presto CD. Wish I still had that. However, the guitar is the real treasure, along with my memories of the elation of being improbably handed a job at a guitar factory owned by the guitarist in my favourite band!

One final note: All of you on this forum are most likely aware of what is known as the "Alex Lifeson" chord. But did he invent it?  Could someone else in a prog rock band have influenced him? Check out track 5 of the Strawbs' 1973 album "Bursting At The Seams":"Down By The Sea". I believe this song may have inspired Alex. Great album IMHO.

Welcome to the forum CB

You mean the "Alex Chord" as in the F#7 sus4 starting at the second fret ( w/ the open E and B ) ??  

I'm sure Alex listened to The Strawbs ... Down By The Sea sounds a lot like No One At The Bridge ( or vice versa ) -- that same sus chord feel ...

Pinball Wizard also has that same feel .... I think the sus chords / the open strings were/are a big thing with acoustic guitarists who needed to take up a lot of space when playing alone ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users