Guitar players!

CygnusX-1Bk2

I was just looking at the Carvin website. My God, those are beautiful looking guitars. If anyone can speak to the quality of their sound, let me know.

I believe JARG has a Carvin!

I was just looking at the Carvin website. My God, those are beautiful looking guitars. If anyone can speak to the quality of their sound, let me know.

I own two. The guitars themselves are well made, but I don't much care for Carvin's electronics, so I've replaced the bridge pickups in both of them.

• Like 1

I believe JARG has a Carvin!

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/jarg2112/d12e565f-a48f-41a8-913d-bed1898edab9.jpg

http://youtu.be/FCWzlw7omWM

Carvin makes some really well-made instruments. I would agree about the electronics although they have improved a lot in the last five years.

11s...

These strings go to eleven.

Well they start there. I use Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy bottom which are .010-.052, though I've been contemplating changing. I like the heavier E, especially after playing bass for so long. 11s are just a hair too thick for me on the high side.

I use the .11's as well, just what I'm used to. Any thinner and I get paranoid playing them cause I'm afraid I'll break them. Never tried the STHB's before, does it take any adjusting on the guitar to make it right with that much of a string gauge difference (truss rod, etc.)?

Just for intonation, but ideally intonation should be adjusted as part of string changing anyway. Truss rod isn't much of an issue as there is just more tension than a .010-.047 set and just less than a .011-.052 set which won't be too much of a variance. It wouldn't be as drastic as say going from a set of .009s to a set of .012s. Weather will affect necks/truss rods more so than string tension. That's not to say that putting thicker strings on a guitar that has had lighter strings won't affect neck tension, it will. Whether the truss rod will need an adjustment could be a separate issue, depending upon the particular conditions.

• Like 1

11s...

These strings go to eleven.

Well they start there. I use Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy bottom which are .010-.052, though I've been contemplating changing. I like the heavier E, especially after playing bass for so long. 11s are just a hair too thick for me on the high side.

10-52 is the perfect set for a Les Paul.

Funny how I use different sets for each of my guitars. The Les Paul gets 10-52 (Ernie Ball Light Top Heavy Bottom), The Strat gets 9-46 (EB Hybrid Slinky) and the Tele gets a normal 10-46 set (EB Regular Slinky). Because of the sharp break angle behind the bridge saddles on the Strat, the treble strings in a 10 set feel too heavy for me, but on a Tele, because the break angle is not as steep, 10s feel great. Of course the Les Paul has the shorter scale length and the shallow angle behind the bridge, so heavy strings are not a problem.

Then I remember how Stevie Ray used 13-52s on his Strat, and I feel like a wimp. :(

• Like 1

I own two. The guitars themselves are well made, but I don't much care for Carvin's electronics, so I've replaced the bridge pickups in both of them.

I noticed on the models I was looking at, they use the Floyd Rose, which surprised me. I have an old Jackson electric I bought in 1994 that has one of those and my guitar teacher commented about how much he hated those and how everyone was (supposedly) moving away from them. Apparently not. :LOL:

Edited by Xanadu

I noticed on the models I was looking at, they use the Floyd Rose, which surprised me. I have an old Jackson electric I bought in 1994 that has one of those and my guitar teacher commented about how much he hated those and how everyone was (supposedly) moving away from them. Apparently not. :LOL:

The red one (V220) has a Kahler, and the green one (DC135) has a Wilkinson.

It really is a beauty, isn't it?

http://guitarnoize.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/jb_ernieball_dblneck.jpg

That's his Baritone 6 string and Regular 6 string.

I really like the 12x6 he has. The headstock with the 8x4 string configuration looks like a Medeival weapon.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2499/4149988948_0ae2c6a48e.jpg

The red one (V220) has a Kahler, and the green one (DC135) has a Wilkinson.

I'm really interested in getting a Carvin, myself. I'd be happy with a classic Bolt, or one of the new TLB60's. Their new S60A single coils are alnico V based. One of the guitar shops close to me has a used DC135 with a C22T in the bridge and AP11's in the middle and neck. I played it a little over a year ago, and was underwhelmed. I think I was expecting too much from it. Then I played it again earlier this week, and was really surprised at how the pickups sounded. The C22 even sounded great when split. I was playing it through a new Fender Deluxe Reverb. If I got one, I'd probably just go with an SSS pickup configuration, and if it turns out I don't like the S60A's, I could swap them out relatively easily and go for a beefed up single coil in the bridge.

• Like 1

We used to go down to the Carvin shop in LA and occasionally the factory in Escondido. I used to have a couple raw Carvin guitar bodies, one double neck, but I can't recall what I did with them. They really only fit Carvin necks, but they were cheap. Never got around to getting necks for them. Their guitars seem really nice but none ever wowed me. They make great PAs though.

We used to go down to the Carvin shop in LA and occasionally the factory in Escondido. I used to have a couple raw Carvin guitar bodies, one double neck, but I can't recall what I did with them. They really only fit Carvin necks, but they were cheap. Never got around to getting necks for them. Their guitars seem really nice but none ever wowed me. They make great PAs though.

Yeah, it's one thing to be really surprised (or maybe it was just pleasantly surprised) when you have really low expectations. Even though the guitar sounded better that time, it may be because I was expecting to be disappointed again. To contrast that, the Ainesis Guitars I played up in Traverse City, MI, totally blew me away for sound and feel, when I had never heard of them before, and thus had no expecatations about them.

It really is a beauty, isn't it?

http://guitarnoize.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/jb_ernieball_dblneck.jpg

That's his Baritone 6 string and Regular 6 string.

I really like the 12x6 he has. The headstock with the 8x4 string configuration looks like a Medeival weapon.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2499/4149988948_0ae2c6a48e.jpg

Now THAT was probably the hammer that killed John Henry :laughing guy:

New bridge is on, with some TonePros locking studs. Many years overdue. Can't wait to play this thing in a couple weeks when I get home. Old bridge is on the right.

11218619_697888496982102_846738073116188043_n.jpg?oh=1d24a9c35977d2680de896505f07e2ea&oe=55EE44E9&__gda__=1438867740_cdb6c1bb0786eecdd87a722e74e207f1

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 3

New bridge is on, with some TonePros locking studs. Many years overdue. Can't wait to play this thing in a couple weeks when I get home. Old bridge is on the right.

11218619_697888496982102_846738073116188043_n.jpg?oh=1d24a9c35977d2680de896505f07e2ea&oe=55EE44E9&__gda__=1438867740_cdb6c1bb0786eecdd87a722e74e207f1

That looks killer!

• Like 1

My gear: A Squier 1970's Vintage Modified series Stratocaster + Fender 68 Custom deluxe reverb 22w amplifier.

No frills set up that gets the job done.

Edited by thirteen
  • Like 1

My gear: A Squier 1970's Vintage Modified series Stratocaster + Fender 68 Custom deluxe reverb 22w amplifier.

No frills set up that gets the job done.

I used to have a '75 Deluxe Reverb that was great. I don't know what makes your amp "custom" so I'd be interested to hear.

That looks killer!

The guy at 965 Guitars always does good work. "Whole new guitar" he says. I'll find out for myself soon enough.

• Like 1

I used to have a '75 Deluxe Reverb that was great. I don't know what makes your amp "custom" so I'd be interested to hear.

It's just this amp:

http://intl.fender.c...xe-reverb-120v/

Here's a comparision of 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb vs 65 Deluxe reverb reissue.

Edited by thirteen

It's just this amp:

http://intl.fender.c...xe-reverb-120v/

Here's a comparision of 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb vs 65 Deluxe reverb reissue.

OMG, I can't believe I didn't catch that. I know a lot about those amps, the DRRI and the new 68 Custom line. Great amps!

I've been playing the Prodigal Son quite a bit of late, and I have to say, I'm glad he's back!

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/Guitar%20Gear/ce355b30-a423-4d82-b73a-9830cb38cebe_zpsc5162762.jpg

What made you get rid of it in the first place? Beautiful guitar.

• Like 1