Guitar players!

CygnusX-1Bk2

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/20140105_222920_zpse2fdc5dc.jpg

The control center.

I like your Music Man, it looks pretty. Those guitars have have some of the most comfortable necks I've ever played. If only yours was a seven string. ;)

• Like 1

GEAR+VID+019.JPGGEAR+VID+020.JPGGEAR+VID+021.JPG

So this is my Floyd Rose. I have no clue what model it is. The strings go through the top hole in the saddles (See picture 1) and thru the back tube (see picture 2).

What model is it?

Okay, so this is a Liscensed Floyd and I found out what it's called. It is a Floyd Rose Fastloader trem. They're amazing. The saddles have string-thru tubes instead of the allen screws, so I don't have to cut the balls off of my strings. Get one. They are awesome.

Probably going to be my next guitar. I played one of these a few days ago (it was the walnut color, which I like, but black is so damn classy!) This is different from the Gretsch I had last years in a couple of significant ways. First, even though is is a hollow body, is it 1/2" slimmer than the G5120. One of my main complaints with the G5120 was that it was a bit too wide. But this one being 1/2" less in body depth really makes a lot of difference. It is more comfortable, and I can see the fretboard much better. I was actually playing a G5420 at Guitar Center (it's the replacement for the G5120, so body size is the same) and I was actually doing pretty well with it (going to the gym is really working, I guess!) but having even that extra 1/2" makes a lot of difference. Second big difference: the pickups!!! Holy crap! The stock pickups in the G5422 are the new Black Top Filter'Trons that were designed after a set of Baldwin Era Filter'Trons that were unearthed recently at Gretsch. Now, I don't know about the validity of that particular story. All I do know is that these Black Top sound the way I imagine a Gretsch sounding in my head. They sound like Brian Setzer's guitar on his Rockabilly Riot live album. I played two different guitars (G5420 and G5422) each at a different location, but each through a Fender DRRi. They are amazingly clear, and have a ton of twang. They absolutely bury the pickups that were in my G5120. Its really nice to know that I won't be looking to replace the Black Tops like I know I would have done the others, if I had kept that guitar.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/gre-g5422tdc-blk_1_zpsdc60b819.jpg

Yeah but the 5120 looks nicer to me. My dad had a Country Gentleman with the above shape (double cut) from the 60s that he traded for a Standel bass amp that I blew up when I was 15. He still regrets that move. He wants a 5120 now. They are close to the US made Gretsches tonally.

I actually don't think that Gretsch makes the 5120's now. Well, they do, but they are called the 5420. And I do like the aesthetics and the single cut of the 5120. But I also like the double cut of the 5422. The Black Top Filter'Trons come standard on the 5420 and 5422, so you get the same pickups, which is really what drew me back to wanting another Gretsch. If my 5120 had sounded like the two guitars I played a couple of days ago, I'd still have it. Those pickups sound that good.

And I have to say, the neck of the 5422 was incredibly comfortable to play.

Edited by Dr. Sheldon Cooper

The 5420 doesn't seem like the 6120 the way the 5120 does. Close, but different.

So I went back and played the one at the store, just to make sure my ears weren't playing tricks on me. The pickups still sounded great. Even though I want a black one, the one at the store (Walnut stain) feels and plays so good, I'm wondering if they are all like that, or was this one just a little bit better made. It's so good, I'm seriously considering just buying that one, since I like the color more than enough.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/DV016_Jpg_Large_H86454000001000_zps485bd5bc.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah, woody! Even if it's a veneer wood is nicer.

So I went back and played the one at the store, just to make sure my ears weren't playing tricks on me. The pickups still sounded great. Even though I want a black one, the one at the store (Walnut stain) feels and plays so good, I'm wondering if they are all like that, or was this one just a little bit better made. It's so good, I'm seriously considering just buying that one, since I like the color more than enough.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/DV016_Jpg_Large_H86454000001000_zps485bd5bc.jpg

I've always wanted one of these.

• Like 1

I think my guitar player is selling a hollow body black Gretsch. Want me check with him? I'll see him tonight.

I think my guitar player is selling a hollow body black Gretsch. Want me check with him? I'll see him tonight.

Can't afford any new gear right now, but thanks for the kind offer.

^^^

It is amazing how good this guitar is. Fixed bridge, Black Top Filter'Tron pickups, Bigsby tremolo. I don't have to change a single thing about it. Plays exceptionally well, and the tone is stellar.

• Like 1

so, uh, I decided to update my guitar gear for the fun of it...

So first off... my PRS. It's not much. A good $400. Flat top. Maple top, mahogany back. I think it's a mahogany neck, too. Ebony fretboard w/ Bat inlays. Active EMG 81TW and 85. Both can be split. Really good for clean sounds. NEVER goes out of tune. Worth the money for a poor fella like me.

029.JPG030.JPG

Nex up, the LEs Paul. It's a USA Standard. It has a custom shop sticker, but it is a standard from the custom shop that was purchased at a George's music by my father. We share it now. It is really something else. If you are ever able to play a USA Gibson Les Paul, it's a great feeling. The only thing to make it perfect for me is a Floyd. For me, I need a trem on every guitar, if possible.

031.JPG032.JPG033.JPG

Next up, the PS-2. '98 Jackson Performer PS-2. Its one of my favorites. The only problem is that I'm gonna need to get Tronical tuners for this. It goes out of tune so much, but I love it. Oh and the tone knob is busted.

035.JPG036.JPG

This is only around to be a fake telecaster. When I get a telecaster, this is going into a case and into the attic.

037.JPG

Gotta have one of these. It also has broken knobs.

038.JPG

Ovation Applause AE 148. Amazing guitar. The stand that it's on was built by my father using an old sherwood hockey stick and an old table.

040.JPG

Fender Gemini III. Was around $500. This is a good one. It's like a martin, but it's not. Worth the money.

041.JPG

Here's all of them.

042.JPG

• Like 4

My gear after the necessary trades to secure the Les Paul. The Les Paul is not home yet, I still owe some cash on it.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/20141026_085507_zpsdqh896e1.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/20141026_085722_zps0cc2ybkq.jpg

Very pretty Gretsch. What model is it?

<too lazy to look for references to it>

• Like 1

My gear after the necessary trades to secure the Les Paul. The Les Paul is not home yet, I still owe some cash on it.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/20141026_085507_zpsdqh896e1.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/20141026_085722_zps0cc2ybkq.jpg

Very pretty Gretsch. What model is it?

<too lazy to look for references to it>

It is an Electromatic G5422TDCG

It's also on the previous page. :)

Gotta say I like the variety of guitars!

I could use a Tele and a Gretsch myself. Gotta get one of the Electromatics. Your Strat looks likes mine, though mine's a Squier. Nice gear!

It's also on the previous page. :)

Gotta say I like the variety of guitars!

I could use a Tele and a Gretsch myself. Gotta get one of the Electromatics. Your Strat looks likes mine, though mine's a Squier. Nice gear!

Thanks! Now I just need to get the Les Paul back into the fold.

:)