Jump to content


Musical New Year's Resolution


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ColdFireYYZ

ColdFireYYZ

    Prog Hipster

  • Members
  • 6174 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Worcester, Massachusetts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

I usually don't bother making New Years Resolutions because I never keep them, but I was thinking that I should make a musical resolution for 2011. I'm going to try to listen to different types of music and practice playing music more.

I'm not sure if anything like this has been discussed previously but I thought it would be interesting to see how others feel about this. It could be anything from going to more shows to starting a band to playing an instrument. Discuss!

Sponsored Post

#2 Xanadu93

Xanadu93

    I'm a dude!

  • Members *
  • 22391 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Augusta, GA (where?)
  • Interests:My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

    also, music, sports, politics, reading, writing, and

    Video Games: Ratchet & Clank series, Burnout 3: Takedown, Jak & Daxter series, Motor Storm, Pocket Tanks, Space Pinball

    Movies: The Breakfast Club, Star Wars series, Forrest Gump, Full Metal Jacket, Pirates of the Caribbean series, The Green Mile, Epic Movie, Don't Be a Menace

    TV Shows: Family Guy, American Dad, Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory, Teen Titans, The Simpsons, Deadliest Catch

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:47 PM

I made a New Year's resolution for this year (2010) to get more releases from the year. So far I've got 30 albums from this year, 27 of which I've listened to (two are albums by TRFers that I just haven't gotten around to listening to, and the third is like two hours long, so...)

I'm shit with genre descriptions, but these are some of the genres and subgenres my 2010 collection comes from.

spacey alt-rock (Angels & Airwaves)
indie rock (Arcade Fire, Band of Horses, Deerhunter, Matt & Kim, Minus the Bear, The National, Neon Trees, Vampire Weekend)
hip-hop/rap (B.o.B, Kanye West, The Roots)
punk (Bad Religion)
dream-pop (Beach House)
bluesy-garagey-rock (The Black Keys and The Dead Weather, I guess...)
prog-influenced alt-rock (Coheed & Cambria)
electronic (Gorillaz, How to Destroy Angels)
epic-sounding R&B (Janelle Monáe)
alt rock (Jimmy Eat World, Motion City Soundtrack, My Chemical Romance)
straight-up rock (Melissa Etheridge)
noise-rock (Sleigh Bells)
rap-rock (Street Sweeper Social Club)

Even though indie rock was the dominant genre in my list, it failed to produce my favorite album of the year, which is a tossup between Angels & Airwaves and My Chemical Romance. However, Minus the Bear did deliver in a great way - Deerhunter and Vampire Weekend both made very good albums as well - so it wasn't for naught. However, the new Arcade Fire album was incredibly boring, and The National need a shot of adrenaline - they're too slow and calm for me.

#3 USB Connector

USB Connector

    Trek for Echo

  • Members *
  • 8282 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vulcan
  • Interests:Exploring the final frontier as captain of the Galaxy Class Starship Rocinante (registry NCC-2112).

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:20 AM

Well...I'd have to say that my resolution would be to take a step back from Rush and have a look at other rock bands. For the last year and a half I've only been listening to Rush and I've only been learning/playing Rush songs on drums. I even bought a cheap electric guitar just to learn Tom Sawyer and Limelight (minus the solos tongue.gif)

#4 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

    Vapor Trail

  • Members
  • 18558 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Hospital Productions - Kayin State
  • Interests:Leaving Your Body Map

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 18 2010, 09:42 PM)
I usually don't bother making New Years Resolutions because I never keep them, but I was thinking that I should make a musical resolution for 2011. I'm going to try to listen to different types of music and practice playing music more.


I'll have to say that's my musical New Year's resolution too. I've been stuck listening to mostly Rush for practically the past 2 years, I've been slowly listening to other stuff like Porcupine Tree, stuff that I wouldn't normally have listen to before. I've also been going through the back catalog of my musical tastes, and gone out and listened to their recent albums all of which came this year, for example Gorillaz's Plastic Beach album and A Thousand Suns by Linkin Park and I believed to be their best works yet.

Also, I'd want to keep up and be fully committed to playing the bass. I've just bought a $300 '77 Vintage Modified Squier Jazz Bass recently with my own money. I was on a budget with all the concerts I've been to this year I couldn't afford the Fender cause my parents wouldn't pay for it. Practically it looks like Geddy's '72 Fender Jazz Bass with the current mods it had on the Time Machine Tour (mother of pearl block inlays on the neck) if I modified the bridge, pickguard and control knobs with those seen on the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.

And speaking of concerts, I've been to 5 concerts this year, the most I've been to by far in a year. The only concerts I know I'm going to next year is the Linkin Park (waited 7 years for this) and Rush shows at MSG which is only 2 months apart from each other. I think I should cut back on attending concerts for now, I'm broke because of it.  

#5 micgtr71

micgtr71

    Axe Slinger

  • Members
  • 5021 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Trafalmadore
  • Interests:Teaching guitar lessons, writing, drinking quality beers.

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:17 PM

I'm going to get out and play more solo acoustic gigs. I did a handful over 2010 which was less that 2009. Maybe 2011 will find me upping the gig list.  

#6 J0N

J0N

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2201 posts
  • Location:England

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

Mine's probably to catch as many older bands that have started to pack it in while I still can

#7 sullysue

sullysue

    Arriving Somewhere...

  • Members *
  • 16040 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Texas

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:11 PM

I'd like to get out to the local music scene in 2011, check out some of the new homegrown sounds and get my music blog going.

I won't DARE miss Rush, either. My kids would not forgive me if we skipped them again.  

#8 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

    That's Itâ„¢ Sig

  • Members
  • 16026 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:iEarth
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:24 PM

I want to try to make more time for listening to music.

#9 Mystic Slipperman

Mystic Slipperman

    From Genesis to Armageddon

  • Members
  • 3139 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles
  • Interests:Playing and writing music.

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:42 PM

Oh yeah, definitely.

In 2011 I intend to do 3 things:  

1) explore more new music (I tend to mostly focus on older stuff, including bands/artists I missed the first time around)

2) Get things really happening with my new band.

3) Make REAL progress on my second CD.  

#10 Hatchetaxe&saw

Hatchetaxe&saw

    Hail the mighty Lag!

  • Members *
  • 10840 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Your colon
  • Interests:Misanthropy.

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:19 PM

Get back into the swampy underbelly. Yep, too much time in the prog-sun these past 2 years.

#11 Lamelight

Lamelight

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2190 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:39 PM

I will learn to play some songs with guitar.... And I promise to buy more albums  tongue.gif  

#12 Ranger J

Ranger J

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 141 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Australia

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

Finally see Rush.

And make it to a Porupine Tree gig if they decide to tour.  

#13 fledgehog

fledgehog

    Playlist Hero

  • Members
  • 25134 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:caught in a web

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:09 PM

like others have said...to keep up better with new releases.  2010 saw a real drop-off in that area for me, i barely heard over 100 albums from this year.  i'd like to get back in the swing of new music.

#14 Xanadu93

Xanadu93

    I'm a dude!

  • Members *
  • 22391 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Augusta, GA (where?)
  • Interests:My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

    also, music, sports, politics, reading, writing, and

    Video Games: Ratchet & Clank series, Burnout 3: Takedown, Jak & Daxter series, Motor Storm, Pocket Tanks, Space Pinball

    Movies: The Breakfast Club, Star Wars series, Forrest Gump, Full Metal Jacket, Pirates of the Caribbean series, The Green Mile, Epic Movie, Don't Be a Menace

    TV Shows: Family Guy, American Dad, Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory, Teen Titans, The Simpsons, Deadliest Catch

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Dec 23 2010, 04:09 PM)
2010 saw a real drop-off in that area for me, i barely heard over 100 albums from this year.

...yeah, I only have 30 records from this year, so stop whining.

Then again, I bought about twenty of those albums, and you bought none of yours. tongue.gif

#15 Boots

Boots

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3215 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Guitar World
  • Interests:art, design, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:44 PM

Try to buy more albums, I guess. I'm taking up belly dancing to strengthen my lower back muscles.  I'm trying to work out twice a day every day (cardio, pushups, weights). I'm also giving up alcohol because it affects my judgment.  My mother's cousin in Germany was killed by a drunk driver.  She was married to an American officer.  My mom's sister and my best friend in high school also married American officers.  My sister's dad was in the US Army too.  I guess I will have to support all the troops as well.

Edited by Boots, 30 December 2017 - 11:06 PM.


#16 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 16812 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Earth...for the moment.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:53 AM

View PostBoots, on 30 December 2017 - 10:44 PM, said:

Try to buy more albums, I guess. I'm taking up belly dancing to strengthen my lower back muscles.  I'm trying to work out twice a day every day (cardio, pushups, weights). I'm also giving up alcohol because it affects my judgment.  My mother's cousin in Germany was killed by a drunk driver.  She was married to an American officer.  My mom's sister and my best friend in high school also married American officers.  My sister's dad was in the US Army too.  I guess I will have to support all the troops as well.
Happy New Year Boots...definitely buy more albums. You should try Tai Chi. I used to take Tai Chi back in my bike racing days for balance and coordination. Two years ago I fell and dislocated both knee caps and tore pretty much everything in and around both knees requiring multiple surgeries. As I was progressing in my recovery I crashed my mountain bike and broke my nose, collar bone and three ribs. I finally get back to some kind of "normal" and could drive again and a deer jumped over an overpass landing perfectly on top of my car. Nothing broken but everything shaken and hurting. I could barely move for weeks and then I started tai chi again and am doing great. Even back on the bike. All the best to you!

#17 Boots

Boots

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3215 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Guitar World
  • Interests:art, design, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:40 AM

View PostThe Cat 3, on 31 December 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

View PostBoots, on 30 December 2017 - 10:44 PM, said:

Try to buy more albums, I guess. I'm taking up belly dancing to strengthen my lower back muscles.  I'm trying to work out twice a day every day (cardio, pushups, weights). I'm also giving up alcohol because it affects my judgment.  My mother's cousin in Germany was killed by a drunk driver.  She was married to an American officer.  My mom's sister and my best friend in high school also married American officers.  My sister's dad was in the US Army too.  I guess I will have to support all the troops as well.
Happy New Year Boots...definitely buy more albums. You should try Tai Chi. I used to take Tai Chi back in my bike racing days for balance and coordination. Two years ago I fell and dislocated both knee caps and tore pretty much everything in and around both knees requiring multiple surgeries. As I was progressing in my recovery I crashed my mountain bike and broke my nose, collar bone and three ribs. I finally get back to some kind of "normal" and could drive again and a deer jumped over an overpass landing perfectly on top of my car. Nothing broken but everything shaken and hurting. I could barely move for weeks and then I started tai chi again and am doing great. Even back on the bike. All the best to you!
I took a tai chi class a long time ago.  It was ok, but the instructor was one of those jack-of-all-trades who taught at the community centre.  
I fell on my knee caps when I was in high school.  I tripped on an uneven sidewalk.  I ended up with a chronic condition called patellofemoral syndrome.
Sometimes I had flareups of PTS when I was in karate.   I've had 2 surgeries on my nose.  That's why it looks so weird now.
I did a bit of hatha yoga last year.  I think I will do more of it in the New Year. It's not too strenuous.

Edited by Boots, 31 December 2017 - 12:18 PM.


#18 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 88020 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

View PostBoots, on 31 December 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

View PostThe Cat 3, on 31 December 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

View PostBoots, on 30 December 2017 - 10:44 PM, said:

Try to buy more albums, I guess. I'm taking up belly dancing to strengthen my lower back muscles.  I'm trying to work out twice a day every day (cardio, pushups, weights). I'm also giving up alcohol because it affects my judgment.  My mother's cousin in Germany was killed by a drunk driver.  She was married to an American officer.  My mom's sister and my best friend in high school also married American officers.  My sister's dad was in the US Army too.  I guess I will have to support all the troops as well.
Happy New Year Boots...definitely buy more albums. You should try Tai Chi. I used to take Tai Chi back in my bike racing days for balance and coordination. Two years ago I fell and dislocated both knee caps and tore pretty much everything in and around both knees requiring multiple surgeries. As I was progressing in my recovery I crashed my mountain bike and broke my nose, collar bone and three ribs. I finally get back to some kind of "normal" and could drive again and a deer jumped over an overpass landing perfectly on top of my car. Nothing broken but everything shaken and hurting. I could barely move for weeks and then I started tai chi again and am doing great. Even back on the bike. All the best to you!
I took a tai chi class a long time ago.  It was ok, but the instructor was one of those jack-of-all-trades who taught at the community centre.  
I fell on my knee caps when I was in high school.  I tripped on an uneven sidewalk.  I ended up with a chronic condition called patellofemoral syndrome.
Sometimes I had flareups of PTS when I was in karate.   I've had 2 surgeries on my nose.  That's why it looks so weird now.
I did a bit of hatha yoga last year.  I think I will do more of it in the New Year. It's not too strenuous.
Posted Image

#19 Boots

Boots

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3215 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Guitar World
  • Interests:art, design, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 31 December 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

View PostBoots, on 31 December 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

View PostThe Cat 3, on 31 December 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

View PostBoots, on 30 December 2017 - 10:44 PM, said:

Try to buy more albums, I guess. I'm taking up belly dancing to strengthen my lower back muscles.  I'm trying to work out twice a day every day (cardio, pushups, weights). I'm also giving up alcohol because it affects my judgment.  My mother's cousin in Germany was killed by a drunk driver.  She was married to an American officer.  My mom's sister and my best friend in high school also married American officers.  My sister's dad was in the US Army too.  I guess I will have to support all the troops as well.
Happy New Year Boots...definitely buy more albums. You should try Tai Chi. I used to take Tai Chi back in my bike racing days for balance and coordination. Two years ago I fell and dislocated both knee caps and tore pretty much everything in and around both knees requiring multiple surgeries. As I was progressing in my recovery I crashed my mountain bike and broke my nose, collar bone and three ribs. I finally get back to some kind of "normal" and could drive again and a deer jumped over an overpass landing perfectly on top of my car. Nothing broken but everything shaken and hurting. I could barely move for weeks and then I started tai chi again and am doing great. Even back on the bike. All the best to you!
I took a tai chi class a long time ago.  It was ok, but the instructor was one of those jack-of-all-trades who taught at the community centre.  
I fell on my knee caps when I was in high school.  I tripped on an uneven sidewalk.  I ended up with a chronic condition called patellofemoral syndrome.
Sometimes I had flareups of PTS when I was in karate.   I've had 2 surgeries on my nose.  That's why it looks so weird now.
I did a bit of hatha yoga last year.  I think I will do more of it in the New Year. It's not too strenuous.
Posted Image
Did you get a dog for Christmas?

#20 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 88020 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

View PostBoots, on 31 December 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 31 December 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

View PostBoots, on 31 December 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

View PostThe Cat 3, on 31 December 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

View PostBoots, on 30 December 2017 - 10:44 PM, said:

Try to buy more albums, I guess. I'm taking up belly dancing to strengthen my lower back muscles.  I'm trying to work out twice a day every day (cardio, pushups, weights). I'm also giving up alcohol because it affects my judgment.  My mother's cousin in Germany was killed by a drunk driver.  She was married to an American officer.  My mom's sister and my best friend in high school also married American officers.  My sister's dad was in the US Army too.  I guess I will have to support all the troops as well.
Happy New Year Boots...definitely buy more albums. You should try Tai Chi. I used to take Tai Chi back in my bike racing days for balance and coordination. Two years ago I fell and dislocated both knee caps and tore pretty much everything in and around both knees requiring multiple surgeries. As I was progressing in my recovery I crashed my mountain bike and broke my nose, collar bone and three ribs. I finally get back to some kind of "normal" and could drive again and a deer jumped over an overpass landing perfectly on top of my car. Nothing broken but everything shaken and hurting. I could barely move for weeks and then I started tai chi again and am doing great. Even back on the bike. All the best to you!
I took a tai chi class a long time ago.  It was ok, but the instructor was one of those jack-of-all-trades who taught at the community centre.  
I fell on my knee caps when I was in high school.  I tripped on an uneven sidewalk.  I ended up with a chronic condition called patellofemoral syndrome.
Sometimes I had flareups of PTS when I was in karate.   I've had 2 surgeries on my nose.  That's why it looks so weird now.
I did a bit of hatha yoga last year.  I think I will do more of it in the New Year. It's not too strenuous.
Posted Image
Did you get a dog for Christmas?
No it's not mine. It's cute though.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users