Stealing Deckiller's Brilliant Idea

Good,bad,andrush

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Dec 17 2010, 08:54 AM)
There are several reasons why you should go no further with this;

-taking the idea and copying it so closely is just not right; an 'epic fail' in modern parlance
-once somebody has done it then it should be left, otherwise we'll have countless attempts at all 155
-you are a little on the young side to be making such judgemental statements on the music and especially the lyrics; having an opinion at any age is fine, but you should watch how you deliver it
-a lot is already plain wrong (e.g. the water/wine lyric above is neither tacky or funny - it makes perfect sense in the context of a song about advancing age)
-if you are not even going to spell correctly the names of rock legends.....

1) The other guy quit in the middle of it. He was updating every day but has now failed to update in weeks.

2) No one's doing it now

3) Oh please. The only people to ever say things like that are boring old people with little accomplished in their lives who want credit just for having existed this long. Not saying that's it in your case, of course biggrin.gif

4) Maybe true

5) Maybe true

With all that being said, I have a feeling anyone trying to do something of this calibre is going to encounter lots of "problems" laugh.gif laugh.gif .....

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Dec 17 2010, 04:12 PM)
QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Dec 17 2010, 08:54 AM)
There are several reasons why you should go no further with this;

-taking the idea and copying it so closely is just not right; an 'epic fail' in modern parlance
-once somebody has done it then it should be left, otherwise we'll have countless attempts at all 155
-you are a little on the young side to be making such judgemental statements on the music and especially the lyrics; having an opinion at any age is fine, but you should watch how you deliver it
-a lot is already plain wrong (e.g. the water/wine lyric above is neither tacky or funny - it makes perfect sense in the context of a song about advancing age)
-if you are not even going to spell correctly the names of rock legends.....

1) The other guy quit in the middle of it. He was updating every day but has now failed to update in weeks.

2) No one's doing it now

3) Oh please. The only people to ever say things like that are boring old people with little accomplished in their lives who want credit just for having existed this long. Not saying that's it in your case, of course biggrin.gif

4) Maybe true

5) Maybe true

With all that being said, I have a feeling anyone trying to do something of this calibre is going to encounter lots of "problems" laugh.gif laugh.gif .....

1) He's a teacher or something similar - he'll get back to it now the holidays are here

2) Thankfully

3) I'm 12 years old (maybe a little less mentally)

4) Maybe?

5) MAYBE? Jimmy Page is Jimmy Page not Jimmy Paige

Not to join the crowd, but while you're intentions are only the best, I think Deckiller's concept should be left to Deckiller--at least in its current form. It's probable that he may never return and his list will go unknown, but it was fun to wait simply because the task had never been done before. With your list, while just as thorough and guaranteed to go until the end, I don't feel as much anticipation in waiting for each new post and it seems others share that feeling.

As someone mentioned earlier, maybe just compile the entire list and either post it or link to it? Or maybe try a new spin on it (video or audio podcast?).

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Dec 17 2010, 04:49 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 17 2010, 10:29 AM)
My advice is to FINISH the damn list BEFORE you start posting it.

goodpost.gif

sorry, I was trying to avoid reading any feedback until after I finish...but I'll have you know I'm already done ranking them...I just need to write the review for them.

144.CARVE AWAY THE STONE

1.75/10

I think this is one of the most boring Rush songs every; it sounds nice in some parts, but you really have to pay attention. It's really hard to listen to this song and analyze it because it's just so flat out boring. It starts off with boring guitar chords and very uninspired vocals.

The lyrics are also very uninspired, and seem too simple for Rush at this point. The "sisyphus" whisper is a nice tough, but that's just the icing on a flavorless cake. "Carve away the stone" is repeated way too many times throughout the song, and never does it sound different. In Vital Signs, for example, the outro gives an entire new dimension to the repeated "Everybody got to elevate from the norm." In this song, it's dull and boring all the time.

The best part of the song is Alex's solo, although it'd be better if it was placed in a song that was actually easier to listen to. It's easy to miss this solo. Geddy lays down some nice basswork, but it's nothing we haven't seen before.

143.THE SPEED OF LOVE

1.75/10

Another really boring song; I had a very difficult time decided if this song and Carve Away The Stone should have switched places. I decided this song was a little better, if only because Alex's harmonics sound really harmonious at times. He's done better before, but I think those harmonics are the redeeming part of this song. His solo retains this beautiful sound, but it's hardly even a solo. The drumming isn't too noticeable either, and the bassline is good only at some parts.

The lyrics on the other hand, just seem cheesy and uninspired. "Keep on shining, at the speed of love?" "My heart goes out to you?"

Yeah.

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

142.HIGH WATER

1.75/10

There's a really nice backdrop in this song; it feels as if you're really swimming in some prehistoric age. But at the same time, it's somewhat tacky. Lyrically, it's just paying homage to the majesty of water. "The water takes me home" lyric is kind of cheesy.

Instrumentally though, the only standout is the drumming. But it's basically the same thing over and over. The song never changes either; there's no remarkable bridge or solo or anything like that. Geddy's singing seems very uninspired.

I feel this could be a much better song; it just has to be done right...it's just completely lacking in so many departments.

141.SUPERCONDUCTOR

1.75/10

Superconductor!

That's not entertainment. The guitar riff is uninspired and cheesy.

I understand that this is actually what they were going for in this song, though. This song is something of a satire on the Lady Gagas of the world. The lyrics are the best part of the song, and they actually match the music well. "Pin the donkeys on her tail" is one of Neil's best lines.

So what's wrong with this song? Just the fact that it's hardly a Rush song. It's too average for Rush, and the repeated "Superconductor!" is cringe-worthy. Alex hits some nice chords during the slower parts of the song, but the keyboards cancel out that effect. Neil's drumming could be much better on this track; it seems as if he's done all the rhythms and fills before, but much better on different songs.

QUOTE (Lamelight @ Dec 18 2010, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (Scars @ Dec 18 2010, 08:10 PM)
So you hate any song that repeats a word in the chorus?

Up next:
Show Don't Tell
The Body Electric
Stick it Out
Half the World

You forgot Time Stand Still and Subdivisions

and Animate and Caravan

QUOTE (Lamelight @ Dec 18 2010, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (PariahDog @ Dec 18 2010, 01:25 AM)
Open Water

or High Secrets? which one did you actually meant? Both?

Whoops, I meant High Water. tongue.gif I love Open Secrets.

High Secrets actually sounds like a cool Rush song. It could be about the Illuminati, Knights Templar, etc. tongue.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Dec 19 2010, 10:17 AM)
QUOTE (Lamelight @ Dec 18 2010, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (PariahDog @ Dec 18 2010, 01:25 AM)
Open Water

or High Secrets? which one did you actually meant? Both?

Whoops, I meant High Water. tongue.gif I love Open Secrets.

High Secrets actually sounds like a cool Rush song. It could be about the Illuminati, Knights Templar, etc. tongue.gif

It sounds like it really could be a Rush song laugh.gif

140.THE STARS LOOK DOWN

2/10

I'm surprised by the confusion that this song gives me. The intro to the song is pretty boring, and it's just an ugly wall of noise. Of course, we can blame that on the production, but it's still a confusing sound. Geddy's vocals are very odd on this track, especially when he says "what is the meaning of this?" The guitar chords during that part actually sound very good, which is why I found this song hard to rank. I would rank the song higher if the production was better and the song focused more on the chorus, which could be much better. The drumming is very average for Neil, and the bass line is forgettable; many songs on Vapor Trails have bass lines similar to this one.

Lyrically, the song is a bit trite, and the lyrics don't match the music so well.

139.WE HOLD ON

2.25/10

The best part of the song is that it can make your day if you were having a bad one. It's theme of perseverance ties in with the album opener, Far Cry. But that is the only good thing about this song. Besides that, it's ridiculously similar to The Stars Look Down. Just noisy chords from Alex, uninspired singing, average drumming, and forgettable bass work. Alex's guitar riff is pretty heavy, but it gets old quickly.

This song is a decent album closer, it's just lacking so much.

138.TAI SHAN

2.25/10

This song has one of the cheesiest intros in the Rush catalog. A real flute would've sounded better. Really, the only highlight of the song is Alex's Asian guitar melodies. They sound a little cliched, but they still sound nice. "China sang to me" is a rather embarrassing lyric.

Besides that, the song just drags on and on. It's definitely got feeling, but not a very strong one.

137.BEFORE AND AFTER

2.5/10

The intro to the song is definitely the highlight. It goes on a little too long, and the transition to the real song is somewhat abrupt. But still, it has a dreamy intro nonetheless. The rest of the song is just your average seventy's rocker; Rush could do better.

Alex at least retains some of the harmonies in the intro throughout, and the Rutsey does a good job on the drums. Geddy's vocals and bass are pretty decent throughout the track, and that's about it.

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

136.WAR PAINT

2.75/10

This song is just very bland, and the thin production doesn't help. Neil's drumming is just average on this track, there's no bass, and Alex's guitar is not powerful enough. Before Geddy sings "he can take the princess" Alex plays something absolutely wonderful. The song could use more of these. His solo is lacking though; if he had gone on, it could've been better.

The "boys and girls" and "girls and boys" chanting is rather annoying and cheesy. Lyrically, it's pretty odd for Neil.

Besides that though, the song has some rather enjoyable harmonies, and that run by Alex is beautiful.

135.VIRTUALITY

2.75/10

The guitar riff is absolutely excellent; the solid basswork is among Geddy's best; the drumming is very technical. The chorus is rather dreamy as well. So why is it a bad song by Rush's standards?

Well, the lyrics match the music horribly. The lyrics are really cheesy, and they bring the amazing music down with them. Even then though, this is not a bad song. It's just rather embarrassing how the lyrics meet the music. The music could really be up there in the top 75, maybe even top 50...but the lyrics really bring that down.

Aw, "We Hold On" was one of my faves from S&A. But to each his own. Also disagreed with the placement of "Second Nature", but you make some valid points nonetheless.

Keep goin'. Looking forward to more. (: