Stealing Deckiller's Brilliant Idea

Good,bad,andrush

1.SONG OF THE GODS, FOR THE GODS, BY THE GODS (Aka hemispheres)

31589851395895329518956739584380425064286235862839/10

First, just think of how epic this is. Just for a second. Just try to understand this concept before reading any further. Two gods are fighting. One fights for love, one fights for wisdom. Which is best? Well, does it merely take a mortal with experience in both to decide that is not one of these but a perfect balance of both? Not a thinly-spread balance, but a perfect one? Well think about that. Analyze everything you've ever thought of and try to feel for it, and then recall all your feelings and approach them rationally.

Okay, well this song is just that. Balance. Perfect balance. Every single note in this song is emotional and logically structured. Every. Damn. Note.

From the unique opening chord promising a strange but worthwhile adventure, to the last stroke of the guitar...everything is perfectly cohesive and structured, emotionally packed with all your everyday emotions. Happiness, anger, desperation, sadness, confusion, compassion, indifference...it is all here.

The song begins with a very unique chord, the famous, "hemispheres" chord. Afterwards, you are treated to what is something of the most complex music ever written (imagine if this was orchestrated; I've proven my point). Not only is it complex, but it's not excessive, and hidden emotions are buried in Geddy's bass, Neil's fills, and Alex's unique choice of notes. The playing here already takes you to another indescribable world. On top of that, the parts whee they all play together is a hint at BALANCE.

The prelude ends with some lyrics describing the battle, and next Apollo is introduced. The dreamy playing and tasty triplets seem alluring and make you choose wisdom as you listen to the logic behind the poetry of Apollo. After a marvelous guitar solo of the gods, we meet Dionysus, who then makes us forget wisdom and choose love. Again, you are tempted by the beauty in his words and the music.

And when it leads into Armageddon things get crazy. I've heard black metal, death metal, all kinds of stuff. Yet the music during Armageddon is still the heaviest thing I've ever heard, especially at 9:30 with that solo bit. That is so damn epic, and heavy in it's own way, heavy because it is the conflict between heart and mind.

Next we're trapped in a black hole (is this what happens when our heart and mind clash). The music here is very atmospheric yet soothing, and it's perfect length too. It's not too long to where the song gets boring and it's not too short to the point where it is pointless. It's balanced. Then our hero comes in saves the day, and the song ends with a triumphant musical outburst, followed by a lovely summary describing the lessons that had been learned. This is mere perfection. I've never heard a song so perfect.

What's even better is that music itself should be balanced. Rush has been getting that right all along. Perfect level of complexity, perfect level of emotion. They combine and compliment each other, and that is why we love rush. But beyond that, this approach to music works to all aspects of life. And you seriously can't go deeper than perfection, and the only way to get there is in balance, and of course by paying the price whatever the cost without counting it wink.gif

This is true perfection in every sense of the word. Not one note out of place, not one generic emotion. Not too fast, not too slow. Not too heavy, not too light. Only perfect.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, this list was an April Fool's Joke.

The real one looks something like this.

100-150: All of Hemispheres, A Farewell To Kings, Moving Pictures, and Permanent Waves with the crap that is Subdivisions, Dreamline, Time Stand Still, Earthshine, 2112 and others like that.

50-100: I don't know.

and the Top Five are:

5. In The Mood (it's just not enough cowbell to be any higher)

4. Rivendell (it'd be number one if it wasn't too short, it needs to be another 7 minutes longer)

3. You Bet Your Life (if only he added another verse of that ranting)

2. Tai Shan (if it was a real flute it'd be much more beautiful securing it spot one.

1. Dog Years (the most underrated gem in the Rush catalog.)

QUOTE (men_who_hold_high_places @ Apr 19 2011, 09:33 PM)
A brilliantly executed, well thought out list that provides lengthy yet interesting descriptions of each and every Rush song. I can agree with your entire top 20 except I would probably replace Dreamline with Freewill. Or maybe I should listen to Dreamline more often. Who knows?

Thanks biggrin.gif

The whole thing was half-assed really and there are a few little differences I'd probably make. Tons of grammatical errors. Excuse those please. I am typing from an iPad and I can't back up to read what I wrote and I'm too lazy to preview the messages and struggle through it to make changes. On top of that I was and am always tired, so yeah laugh.gif (the iPad also automatically spells some words if I make a mistake, making it even worse wacko.gif )

But thanks. And personally, I relate to Dreamline a little more. It's simple but it tugs on many different emotions. Almost all eight quarter notes in the main riff represent a different emotion for me. The solo is genius, and the drums and bass fit nicely. The synths are used perfectly and in moderation, and the lyrics are genius, as is the case in most Rush songs.

Freewill is great too, but I only get the emotion of badassery, which is cool, but with Dreamline I get seven others 653.gif love both songs though.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ May 10 2011, 12:30 PM)
I'm very late to all of this but I find your unending use of the adjective "cheesy" to be both uninspired and cheesy. Please find a new adjective. Perhaps a thesaurus.

That is all.

I mentioned that this thing was half-assed and for fun. I'm 17, ignorant, and lacking common sense, so my opinion and the way I express it should be completely disregarded if it bothers you.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 10 2011, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ May 10 2011, 12:30 PM)
I'm very late to all of this but I find your unending use of the adjective "cheesy" to be both uninspired and cheesy.  Please find a new adjective. Perhaps a thesaurus.

That is all.

I mentioned that this thing was half-assed and for fun. I'm 17, ignorant, and lacking common sense, so my opinion and the way I express it should be completely disregarded if it bothers you.

Just goofing with you bud. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 13 2011, 02:15 PM)
I think I might move Kid Gloves, Virtuality, and Prime Mover up about ten spaces each. These would be the biggest changes. And Prime Mover I'd probably move 20 spaces up.

Are you talking about giving Virtuality a higher rating? Cool... Finally someone is giving it some respect.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 13 2011, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 13 2011, 02:15 PM)
I think I might move Kid Gloves, Virtuality, and Prime Mover up about ten spaces each. These would be the biggest changes. And Prime Mover I'd probably move 20 spaces up.

Are you talking about giving Virtuality a higher rating? Cool... Finally someone is giving it some respect.

Yes, I actually love that song but like I said: this is a list that is only about 20% bias. I would say complexity is another 20% (melodies and rhythms and how unique they are) and the hook about 10% and finally the music matching the lyrics or in the case of instrumentals the "imagery" the music conveys.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jul 24 2011, 05:35 PM)
Thought i'd bump this for those who have signatures turned off and can't read mine tongue.gif

....aaaand the attention-whore starts to get a little needy tongue.gif

bekloppt.gif LOOKIT ME!!! bekloppt.gif LOOKIT ME!!! bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 24 2011, 07:20 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jul 24 2011, 05:35 PM)
Thought i'd bump this for those who have signatures turned off and can't read mine tongue.gif

....aaaand the attention-whore starts to get a little needy tongue.gif

bekloppt.gif LOOKIT ME!!! bekloppt.gif LOOKIT ME!!! bekloppt.gif

That too yes.gif

I'm making a genesis one and you should comment so that more people will read and comment biggrin.gif comment comment commoner yes.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jul 24 2011, 05:35 PM)
Thought i'd bump this because DECKILLER'S thread (which isn't even FINISHED, by the way) was bumped, and MINE WASN'T. WHAT THE HELL GUYS! FINISHED! DOES THE WORD FINISHED MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU?!?!?

THIS SHOULD BE PINNED!!!

That's how I interpreted it anyway.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 24 2011, 10:02 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jul 24 2011, 05:35 PM)
Thought i'd bump this because DECKILLER'S thread (which isn't even FINISHED, by the way) was bumped, and MINE WASN'T. WHAT THE HELL GUYS! FINISHED! DOES THE WORD FINISHED MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU?!?!?

THIS SHOULD BE PINNED!!!

That's how I interpreted it anyway.

That's what I meant, but shh!