Jump to content


Bass Players!


  • Please log in to reply
517 replies to this topic

#501 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21751 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:38 PM

View PostRushman14, on 27 May 2016 - 10:01 AM, said:

thought I would share my new blue flame shooting V7 Jazz Bass by Sire.

Posted Image

What do you think about those basses? I read that thread over on Talkbass about them. People seem to be pretty impressed by the low cost/high quality.

Sponsored Post

#502 New Digital Man

New Digital Man

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 579 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:East London UK

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:37 AM

Supposed to be pretty awesome, great tone, looking for one myself but with a maple neck!

#503 Rushman14

Rushman14

    Mr. Hollywood

  • Members *
  • 11056 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:03 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 27 May 2016 - 07:38 PM, said:

View PostRushman14, on 27 May 2016 - 10:01 AM, said:

thought I would share my new blue flame shooting V7 Jazz Bass by Sire.

Posted Image

What do you think about those basses? I read that thread over on Talkbass about them. People seem to be pretty impressed by the low cost/high quality.

I ordered one without even playing it first because of the good reviews and the low cost. Figured I couldn't go wrong. Granted it doesn't sound quite like a $2,000.00 bass but it's definitely respectable and has a really nice tone when I play through the sansamp. The sound guy even came up to me after the gig asking me about it. He said I was definitely pushing a lot of air around the room :)

I'm considering grabbing this 5 string as well   http://www.sire-usa....ue-white-color/

Edited by Rushman14, 31 May 2016 - 05:05 PM.


#504 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21751 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:23 PM

View PostRushman14, on 31 May 2016 - 05:03 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 27 May 2016 - 07:38 PM, said:

View PostRushman14, on 27 May 2016 - 10:01 AM, said:

thought I would share my new blue flame shooting V7 Jazz Bass by Sire.

Posted Image

What do you think about those basses? I read that thread over on Talkbass about them. People seem to be pretty impressed by the low cost/high quality.

I ordered one without even playing it first because of the good reviews and the low cost. Figured I couldn't go wrong. Granted it doesn't sound quite like a $2,000.00 bass but it's definitely respectable and has a really nice tone when I play through the sansamp. The sound guy even came up to me after the gig asking me about it. He said I was definitely pushing a lot of air around the room :)

I'm considering grabbing this 5 string as well   http://www.sire-usa....ue-white-color/

How's the neck? Thin, fat, just right?  :)

Edited by EagleMoon, 31 May 2016 - 05:23 PM.


#505 Rushman14

Rushman14

    Mr. Hollywood

  • Members *
  • 11056 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:41 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 31 May 2016 - 05:23 PM, said:



How's the neck? Thin, fat, just right?  :)

I would say just right :)

#506 homeward-angel-on-the-fly

homeward-angel-on-the-fly

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • Interests:RUSH!! Music, video games, anime. All-around nerd!

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:44 AM

My rig right now is very beginner and terrible XD. Barracuda 2004 Fender P-Bass Copy, cherry red. Epiphone practice amp. Currently saving up for that sweet sweet Geddy jazz bass though, man that's one helluva sexy bass lolol

Edited by homeward-angel-on-the-fly, 05 December 2016 - 04:45 AM.


#507 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21751 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:04 PM

View Posthomeward-angel-on-the-fly, on 05 December 2016 - 04:44 AM, said:

My rig right now is very beginner and terrible XD. Barracuda 2004 Fender P-Bass Copy, cherry red. Epiphone practice amp. Currently saving up for that sweet sweet Geddy jazz bass though, man that's one helluva sexy bass lolol

Well I'll give you a little bit of advice about the Geddy jazz. As someone who has owned five of them over the years including one sunburst version, they vary a lot.  The older ones had thinner necks which tended to have issues like needing to adjust the truss rod frequently. Especially with any kind of weather changes like humidity or temperature. They also vary a lot in weight. Anywhere from about 11-12 pounds down to eight. The tuners and pickups also weren't the best on the older models and a lot of people changed those out. Tuner's would slip, and the pickups were weak. The newer models like post 2010 or so have upgraded tuners and better pick ups and a slightly thicker neck.  They are great basses and the only reason I don't have one now is that I like the smaller cut down jazz body (and lighter weight) of my Sadowsky better.

#508 fraroc

fraroc

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2457 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:47 PM

That moment where you have your eyes on a sexy Alembic bass only to realize that it costs the same as a car...

#509 Stugotz

Stugotz

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida
  • Interests:RUSH
    Bass Player - YYNOT

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:00 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 05 December 2016 - 02:04 PM, said:

View Posthomeward-angel-on-the-fly, on 05 December 2016 - 04:44 AM, said:

My rig right now is very beginner and terrible XD. Barracuda 2004 Fender P-Bass Copy, cherry red. Epiphone practice amp. Currently saving up for that sweet sweet Geddy jazz bass though, man that's one helluva sexy bass lolol

Well I'll give you a little bit of advice about the Geddy jazz. As someone who has owned five of them over the years including one sunburst version, they vary a lot.  The older ones had thinner necks which tended to have issues like needing to adjust the truss rod frequently. Especially with any kind of weather changes like humidity or temperature. They also vary a lot in weight. Anywhere from about 11-12 pounds down to eight. The tuners and pickups also weren't the best on the older models and a lot of people changed those out. Tuner's would slip, and the pickups were weak. The newer models like post 2010 or so have upgraded tuners and better pick ups and a slightly thicker neck.  They are great basses and the only reason I don't have one now is that I like the smaller cut down jazz body (and lighter weight) of my Sadowsky better.

I have had a bunch of CIJ and MIJ Geddy's and never had any issues with them. Guess I'm just lucky!

#510 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21751 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:12 AM

View PostStugotz, on 10 January 2017 - 09:00 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 05 December 2016 - 02:04 PM, said:

View Posthomeward-angel-on-the-fly, on 05 December 2016 - 04:44 AM, said:

My rig right now is very beginner and terrible XD. Barracuda 2004 Fender P-Bass Copy, cherry red. Epiphone practice amp. Currently saving up for that sweet sweet Geddy jazz bass though, man that's one helluva sexy bass lolol

Well I'll give you a little bit of advice about the Geddy jazz. As someone who has owned five of them over the years including one sunburst version, they vary a lot.  The older ones had thinner necks which tended to have issues like needing to adjust the truss rod frequently. Especially with any kind of weather changes like humidity or temperature. They also vary a lot in weight. Anywhere from about 11-12 pounds down to eight. The tuners and pickups also weren't the best on the older models and a lot of people changed those out. Tuner's would slip, and the pickups were weak. The newer models like post 2010 or so have upgraded tuners and better pick ups and a slightly thicker neck.  They are great basses and the only reason I don't have one now is that I like the smaller cut down jazz body (and lighter weight) of my Sadowsky better.

I have had a bunch of CIJ and MIJ Geddy's and never had any issues with them. Guess I'm just lucky!

I'm just informing people of the possible problems they could come with.  They do vary a lot. The tuners on the older ones were pretty crappy but they did update those and thickened the neck which helped a lot with the humidity and weather fluctuations.

#511 Geddy Jazz

Geddy Jazz

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 208 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mexico
  • Interests:Rush

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:14 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 11 January 2017 - 12:12 AM, said:

View PostStugotz, on 10 January 2017 - 09:00 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 05 December 2016 - 02:04 PM, said:

View Posthomeward-angel-on-the-fly, on 05 December 2016 - 04:44 AM, said:

My rig right now is very beginner and terrible XD. Barracuda 2004 Fender P-Bass Copy, cherry red. Epiphone practice amp. Currently saving up for that sweet sweet Geddy jazz bass though, man that's one helluva sexy bass lolol

Well I'll give you a little bit of advice about the Geddy jazz. As someone who has owned five of them over the years including one sunburst version, they vary a lot.  The older ones had thinner necks which tended to have issues like needing to adjust the truss rod frequently. Especially with any kind of weather changes like humidity or temperature. They also vary a lot in weight. Anywhere from about 11-12 pounds down to eight. The tuners and pickups also weren't the best on the older models and a lot of people changed those out. Tuner's would slip, and the pickups were weak. The newer models like post 2010 or so have upgraded tuners and better pick ups and a slightly thicker neck.  They are great basses and the only reason I don't have one now is that I like the smaller cut down jazz body (and lighter weight) of my Sadowsky better.

I have had a bunch of CIJ and MIJ Geddy's and never had any issues with them. Guess I'm just lucky!

I'm just informing people of the possible problems they could come with.  They do vary a lot. The tuners on the older ones were pretty crappy but they did update those and thickened the neck which helped a lot with the humidity and weather fluctuations.
I have owned 2 ( black ones) and yes they vary a lot from older to new models....the neck on older ones was extremely thin and nervous..and the tuners were very bad....

#512 Stugotz

Stugotz

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida
  • Interests:RUSH
    Bass Player - YYNOT

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:59 PM

Again.......I must be one lucky sum bitch! lol I have heard about the quality issues but never experienced them, the only issue was one of the early ones had the decal fret markers, otherwise it was a screamer!

#513 garyg7133

garyg7133

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 172 posts
  • Location:PA

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:04 PM

Basses :Warwick Fortress One 4 String (01) and Warwick Corvette LTD (01) also known as the Streamette, Stagg Electric Upright
Amps : Carvin BRX 212 800w, Carvin PB100 15, Misc : Samson Airline Wireless

#514 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21751 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:34 AM

I am going into withdrawal. I sold my only base about a month ago and it's driving me nuts I don't have anything to play. I went to Guitar Center and Sam Ash today just to check out if they had something cheap that I could pick up temporarily and I was really surprised at the quality Of the Squier Jaguars, Vintage Modified jazzes and the Music Man Sterling SUB basses. It's amazing you can get such quality nowadays for around $300.

#515 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 9840 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:28 AM

Just took my bass down from the loft for the first time in ages......forgot how good it was.

It's a Bass Collection which I got over 25 years ago, and the action and neck are beautiful...saw some really good online reviews about them too.

Just need to fix a crackly jack, restring and setup and it's good to go.

May have to start playing bass again for real when recording instead of programming.

#516 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

    73

  • Admin
  • 33766 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:23 PM

View PostFridge, on 04 February 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

Just took my bass down from the loft for the first time in ages......forgot how good it was.

It's a Bass Collection which I got over 25 years ago, and the action and neck are beautiful...saw some really good online reviews about them too.

Just need to fix a crackly jack, restring and setup and it's good to go.

May have to start playing bass again for real when recording instead of programming.

Never heard of Bass Collection. Is it like this one? http://www.premiergu...ollection_sb401

#517 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 9840 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 04 February 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 04 February 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

Just took my bass down from the loft for the first time in ages......forgot how good it was.

It's a Bass Collection which I got over 25 years ago, and the action and neck are beautiful...saw some really good online reviews about them too.

Just need to fix a crackly jack, restring and setup and it's good to go.

May have to start playing bass again for real when recording instead of programming.

Never heard of Bass Collection. Is it like this one? http://www.premiergu...ollection_sb401

Yes, very like that one, except mine is in a dark red finish...also I think mine is a SB501.....it's a lovely instrument, definitely going to spruce it up.

#518 garyg7133

garyg7133

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 172 posts
  • Location:PA

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

I now have to update mine. I just purchased a German made Warwick Streamer Standard 5 string. Carolena body and passive pickups. Beautiful sounding bass.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users