Bass Players!

CygnusX-1Bk2

thought I would share my new blue flame shooting V7 Jazz Bass by Sire.

13147591_574239076066686_7644573270732543458_o.jpg

What do you think about those basses? I read that thread over on Talkbass about them. People seem to be pretty impressed by the low cost/high quality.

• Like 1

What do you think about those basses? I read that thread over on Talkbass about them. People seem to be pretty impressed by the low cost/high quality.

I ordered one without even playing it first because of the good reviews and the low cost. Figured I couldn't go wrong. Granted it doesn't sound quite like a $2,000.00 bass but it's definitely respectable and has a really nice tone when I play through the sansamp. The sound guy even came up to me after the gig asking me about it. He said I was definitely pushing a lot of air around the room :)

I'm considering grabbing this 5 string as well http://www.sire-usa....ue-white-color/

Edited by Rushman14
  • Like 2

I ordered one without even playing it first because of the good reviews and the low cost. Figured I couldn't go wrong. Granted it doesn't sound quite like a $2,000.00 bass but it's definitely respectable and has a really nice tone when I play through the sansamp. The sound guy even came up to me after the gig asking me about it. He said I was definitely pushing a lot of air around the room :)

I'm considering grabbing this 5 string as well http://www.sire-usa....ue-white-color/

How's the neck? Thin, fat, just right? :)

Edited by EagleMoon

My rig right now is very beginner and terrible XD. Barracuda 2004 Fender P-Bass Copy, cherry red. Epiphone practice amp. Currently saving up for that sweet sweet Geddy jazz bass though, man that's one helluva sexy bass lolol Edited by homeward-angel-on-the-fly
  • Like 1

My rig right now is very beginner and terrible XD. Barracuda 2004 Fender P-Bass Copy, cherry red. Epiphone practice amp. Currently saving up for that sweet sweet Geddy jazz bass though, man that's one helluva sexy bass lolol

Well I'll give you a little bit of advice about the Geddy jazz. As someone who has owned five of them over the years including one sunburst version, they vary a lot. The older ones had thinner necks which tended to have issues like needing to adjust the truss rod frequently. Especially with any kind of weather changes like humidity or temperature. They also vary a lot in weight. Anywhere from about 11-12 pounds down to eight. The tuners and pickups also weren't the best on the older models and a lot of people changed those out. Tuner's would slip, and the pickups were weak. The newer models like post 2010 or so have upgraded tuners and better pick ups and a slightly thicker neck. They are great basses and the only reason I don't have one now is that I like the smaller cut down jazz body (and lighter weight) of my Sadowsky better.

• Like 1

My rig right now is very beginner and terrible XD. Barracuda 2004 Fender P-Bass Copy, cherry red. Epiphone practice amp. Currently saving up for that sweet sweet Geddy jazz bass though, man that's one helluva sexy bass lolol

Well I'll give you a little bit of advice about the Geddy jazz. As someone who has owned five of them over the years including one sunburst version, they vary a lot. The older ones had thinner necks which tended to have issues like needing to adjust the truss rod frequently. Especially with any kind of weather changes like humidity or temperature. They also vary a lot in weight. Anywhere from about 11-12 pounds down to eight. The tuners and pickups also weren't the best on the older models and a lot of people changed those out. Tuner's would slip, and the pickups were weak. The newer models like post 2010 or so have upgraded tuners and better pick ups and a slightly thicker neck. They are great basses and the only reason I don't have one now is that I like the smaller cut down jazz body (and lighter weight) of my Sadowsky better.

I have had a bunch of CIJ and MIJ Geddy's and never had any issues with them. Guess I'm just lucky!

I have had a bunch of CIJ and MIJ Geddy's and never had any issues with them. Guess I'm just lucky!

I'm just informing people of the possible problems they could come with. They do vary a lot. The tuners on the older ones were pretty crappy but they did update those and thickened the neck which helped a lot with the humidity and weather fluctuations.

• Like 2

I'm just informing people of the possible problems they could come with. They do vary a lot. The tuners on the older ones were pretty crappy but they did update those and thickened the neck which helped a lot with the humidity and weather fluctuations.

I have owned 2 ( black ones) and yes they vary a lot from older to new models....the neck on older ones was extremely thin and nervous..and the tuners were very bad....
  • Like 2

Again.......I must be one lucky sum bitch! lol I have heard about the quality issues but never experienced them, the only issue was one of the early ones had the decal fret markers, otherwise it was a screamer!

I am going into withdrawal. I sold my only base about a month ago and it's driving me nuts I don't have anything to play. I went to Guitar Center and Sam Ash today just to check out if they had something cheap that I could pick up temporarily and I was really surprised at the quality Of the Squier Jaguars, Vintage Modified jazzes and the Music Man Sterling SUB basses. It's amazing you can get such quality nowadays for around $300.

Just took my bass down from the loft for the first time in ages......forgot how good it was.

It's a Bass Collection which I got over 25 years ago, and the action and neck are beautiful...saw some really good online reviews about them too.

Just need to fix a crackly jack, restring and setup and it's good to go.

May have to start playing bass again for real when recording instead of programming.

Just took my bass down from the loft for the first time in ages......forgot how good it was.

It's a Bass Collection which I got over 25 years ago, and the action and neck are beautiful...saw some really good online reviews about them too.

May have to start playing bass again for real when recording instead of programming.

Never heard of Bass Collection. Is it like this one? http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/bass_collection_sb401

Never heard of Bass Collection. Is it like this one? http://www.premiergu...ollection_sb401

Yes, very like that one, except mine is in a dark red finish...also I think mine is a SB501.....it's a lovely instrument, definitely going to spruce it up.

I play a Rickenbacker 4001V63 from 2001 in MapleGlo (see my pic)

The V63s were vintage reissues of 4001s as they were in 1963. They were the first 4001 after they switched to the 4003 in the 80s. No binding, dot inlays, two tone headstock. Similar to Chris Squire's I suppose. Came with the chunky pickup cover that I removed because I'm not a loser. Haha!

Certainly not my dream Rick (I did start playing bass the first Christmas after I saw Geddy's black one) but the day after my second Rush show I walk into a guitar store, eyeing up the basses and some guy comes up to me and asks me if I'm looking for a Rickenbacker (I was, as learning all of Caress of Steel on my 200$ Hamer wasn't right). The guy used to work there, bought it new, and never played it. I followed him to his apartment which had probably 20+ stacked guitar cases. He was a guitar hoarder. There was an acoustic in his kitchen sink. So he digs up the silver Ricky case, we walk to a bank, I buy him french toast and a coffee as a bonus, and criminally underpay for an unplayed Rickenbacker.

Edited by MalformedEarthborn
  • Like 1

Guys, I am not a bassist but I do dabble.

Bought one of these this week- the Guy Pratt Betsy bass- for the price point it is exceptional- esp considering it has the real EMGs.

I have played Guy's original 1964 Betsy Fender Jazz a couple of times and this captures the slim neck, the punch of the EMGs and the lightweight feel- it's under 8lbs. I know Guy is using these on the Saucerful tour as he genuinely wanted an instrument a young gigging bassist could use. Thankfilly it doesn't have the old man luminous fret markers on the neck edge that Guy has added to the original as his eyes have faded!

Bargain of the year- flawless for the price. And Burg Mist is delicious. The original Betsy was bought by Pratt off John Entwhistle. That's some lineage!

https://www.basscentre.com/british-bass-masters/bbm-betsy.html

BBM%20Betsy%20Front.jpg

Squier Jaguar, black with tortoiseshell pickguard, black headstock, and block inlay fret markers.  

Solid bass.  It’s the second time I’ve owned a Squier and they’re steals at $279.  I’ve also owned a Mexican Fender Jazz for about the same price.

Edited by Each Another's Audience
  • Like 1

After 40 years of wanting one, I finally splurged and bought a Ric.  I love it!  I’m over the moon!  I’ve had it for three days now and I’m only MORE happy with the purchase.

Brand new.  It was made the first week of 2023, and less than three months later it’s in my house.

7FF13CDB-B687-47D7-ACA8-027CCB091056.jpe

• Like 3