Rush and history

Blacky

As if it was yesterday, I can recall the Challenger Shuttle Disaster in 1986. At the time I was heavily into Power Windows (the then latest album). Upon seeing the news of the tradegy, I went off to my room feeling rather upset and played "Territories" at a very loud volume. Every time I hear "Territories", I think of that event..........

"Territories" always reminds me (not that I need much reminding) of the conflict in Israel.

"Bastille Day" of course reminds me of the French Revolution; but more than that it also carries a message of man's need to resist blind obedience to an authority which doesn't care about his individual needs. I guess that's the same thing.

I thought of "Marathon" back when I was into running.

Heck, the list doesn't end.

And then there are the songs that remind of different girls from my past....

The entire Vapor Trails album reminds me of a girl I used to date. It's starting to get to the point where it doesn't anymore, which I'm glad cause I don't WANT to remember her. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Apr 23 2005, 06:24 PM)
The entire Vapor Trails album reminds me of a girl I used to date. It's starting to get to the point where it doesn't anymore, which I'm glad cause I don't WANT to remember her. biggrin.gif

Yes, luckily the association eventually wears off. If it didn't it would be just unthinkable - to have Rush songs that you can't listen to because they summon uncomfortable memories.

Manhattan Project and Countdown.....though Countdown was about the initial launch of the Space Shuttle program (Columbia specifically) the Columbia disaster a few years ago is a vey special song and always pay tribute to the lost astronauts in that tragedy whenever I listen to it.

The main one for me is Afterimage which still reminds me of brother's death in 1988, a couple of months after wew had been to such Rush at Brum NEC on the HYF tour. For about 5 years the memories evoked by the song were so strong that I would be in tears before the song was half over and have to turn it off. Now, though it can still make me feel sad, I can focus on the good memories so, I suppose, Afterimage has become a celelbration rather than a reminder

Distant early warning reminds me of when i made the mistake of showing my friends the distant early warning video on rush Chronicals

Subdivions:The bus trip on my way to Toronto for my first Rush concert

O Batrista:The first time i saw Peart go ape shit and got even more into rush

Between The Wheels (along with some others) reminds me of the days following 9/11.

How about "A Farewell to Kings" (and "Cinderella Man") from "Kings"? " When they turn the pages of history, when these days have passed long ago. Will they read of us with sadness for the seeds that we let grow?"

The Trees and Territories resonate with me in terms of the conflict in Northern Ireland and the history of this island. Oddly enough, I think New World Man is a very apt song for the peace process, which is very much in a stop/start phase.

Personally, TSOR reminds me of my pirate radio days, both in terms of the fact that I played it a lot, and the theme itself.

I often find too that songs remind me of places - Virtuality (how often is that mentioned??) always reminds me of a spot between Sion Mills and Omagh in Tyrone, probably because it was playing in the car as I drove through it one day.

The whole of Signals evokes memories of college, Presto and HYF remind me of my mate Brian's car, which is where I listened to both first, and Dreamline reminds me of Brian himself, who died from a recurrant brain tumour.

Animate reminds me of long term relationship which broke down sad.gif

How It Is reminds me of what I'm going through now!

Ghost Rider reminds when I go out on my bike - such a thought provoking song of being alone

Vapor Trail makes me think of business trips I have made on my own

Superconductor reminds me of my first house

I'm sure there's some more biggrin.gif

It's gotta be The Manhattan Project. I always enjoyed these lines:

Imagine a time when it all began

In the dying days of a war

A weapon - that would settle the score

Whoever found it first

Would be sure to do their worst -

They always had before...

"Between the Wheels" reminds me of when I was contemplating suicide. I had bought Grace Under Pressure just a week before when it was released. And the song "spoke" to me.

"Turn the Page" reminds me of the period following my high school graduation, leaving friends (and enemies) and possibly never seeing them again, as well as starting to meet new people and situations.

"Heresy" makes me think of Tianhamen (sp?) Square revolt as well as the Berlin Wall collapse.

Archived