• Please log in to reply
799 replies to this topic

#41 GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:20 PM

Well I am lucky that my family is very musically inclined so I got my Pearl Exports (Jet Black) from my parents. The gear is came with was pretty mediocre, but the cymbals weren't half bad. Since then I have bought (with my own money unfortunately!) 13" Paragon Hi-Hats, 16" Paragon Crash, and a 22" Paragon Ride. I still have my old Zildjian ZBT 14" crash. I recently bought a new Hi Hat stand- DW 5000 series, smooth as butter. I am reallly dying for a TAMA Rockstar or Superstar set or, dare I dream, a custom DW set. Unfortunately,  being only 15 I can't get that kind dough, lol.

I play a lot of WHO songs but some  song's I know are-

Bravado
The Pass
Spirit Of The Radio (one of my personal favorites to play)
La Villa Strangiato (most of it anyways...)
Parts of O'Baterista (damn, the day I learn that beat for beat is the day I die)
The Seeker (Peart's and Moon's versions)
Ghost Rider (love the lyrics on this song)
For What It's Worth
Limelight
Fly By Night
Tom Sawyer

Sponsored Post

#42 o baterista

o baterista

The Seeker

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 07:58 PM

love the bobble heads ...Test4echo!! trink39.gif  

#43 D-13

D-13

You can put it in the win column!

• Members *
  • 9349 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:52 PM

A new addition to the set....18" Paragon Crash...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it... laugh.gif  

#44 kazzman

kazzman

I got a fever...

• Members *
  • 6263 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 12:23 AM

I guess she hates it...

#45 NeilPeartFan2112

NeilPeartFan2112

The Analog Kid - Neil's Youngest Protégé

• Members *
  • 11677 posts
  • Interests:Music, drums, collecting

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (D-13 @ Dec 29 2004, 11:52 PM)
A new addition to the set....18" Paragon Crash...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it...I love it... laugh.gif

I got the same thing for Christmas along with a double bass pedal.  Both are amazing.   1022.gif  

#46 yyzyy

yyzyy

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1308 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Drums, Music.

Posted 30 December 2004 - 01:30 PM

Test4Eco23....BRAVO!!  I absolutely love it, Perfect...Where did you get the starman on your bass drum done?

NeilFinal.gif  2.gif  NeilFinal.gif  

#47 Test4Eco23

Test4Eco23

The Seeker

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Drums, Music, Computers, Railroad Photography, RUSH

Posted 30 December 2004 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for the compliments,  It took me alot of years to "build" my kit up to where it is now, and I have a long way to go still.

The Starman was done by a guy I know that does vinyl graphics.  I chose the color to match my kit and I thought that it stood out well on the black head.

Thanks again for the compliments and the interest in my kit.  There aren't alot of Rush fans in my neck of the woods, so it's is kind of difficult to get feedback from people that actually understand where I am coming from. bekloppt.gif  

#48 D-13

D-13

• Members *
  • 9349 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (kazzman @ Dec 29 2004, 10:23 PM)
I guess she hates it...

laugh.gif  

#49 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, Firefighting. Love workin' on projects around my house and spending time with my wife and kids. Rush goes with anything.

Posted 30 December 2004 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Dec 30 2004, 11:16 AM)

I got the same thing for Christmas along with a double bass pedal.  Both are amazing.   1022.gif

I'm so pissed off about my double pedal.  I bought it YEARS ago, but could never get it to a comfortable position.  It's a Tama Iron Cobra.

user posted image

The right pedal, and I'm righty, never gave the resistance I wanted so if forced me to work harder.  The left pedal was perfect.  I tried like crazy to balance them, but never could.  So trying to play double beats was always rough since they were so different.

Now, so many years later, the right pedal has become practically dead.  There is a music store opening two minutes from my house.  When they open, I need to take it there to have it worked on and adjusted.

I need to take some pics of my setup and post here.  It's a Silver Pearl Export kit.  I love it.  My wife got me an 8" and 10" tom add-on set which I go crazy over using.  It gives me a total of 5 toms.  I also have two cowbells, chimes, 4 cymbals, and this tambourine thingy that attaches to the high-hat.  It's a fun set.  I love playing it.

#50 D-13

D-13

• Members *
  • 9349 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 30 2004, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Dec 30 2004, 11:16 AM)

I'm so pissed off about my double pedal.  I bought it YEARS ago, but could never get it to a comfortable position.  It's a Tama Iron Cobra.

user posted image

The right pedal, and I'm righty, never gave the resistance I wanted so if forced me to work harder.  The left pedal was perfect.  I tried like crazy to balance them, but never could.  So trying to play double beats was always rough since they were so different.

Now, so many years later, the right pedal has become practically dead.  There is a music store opening two minutes from my house.  When they open, I need to take it there to have it worked on and adjusted.

I need to take some pics of my setup and post here.  It's a Silver Pearl Export kit.  I love it.  My wife got me an 8" and 10" tom add-on set which I go crazy over using.  It gives me a total of 5 toms.  I also have two cowbells, chimes, 4 cymbals, and this tambourine thingy that attaches to the high-hat.  It's a fun set.  I love playing it.

I know what you feel...my $100 pedal, which on my part for buying a $100 was dumb of me...cuz it's a piece of crap....second day and I had to put ducktape on it....I was thinking of getting Iron Cobras.....but was also looking at the DW kind as well...nice set up Pag!  

#51 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, Firefighting. Love workin' on projects around my house and spending time with my wife and kids. Rush goes with anything.

Posted 31 December 2004 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE (D-13 @ Dec 30 2004, 07:00 PM)
I was thinking of getting Iron Cobras.....but was also looking at the DW kind as well...nice set up Pag!

Thanks D.  I must take some pics.  Let me know what you decide about the Iron Cobras.   smile.gif  

#52 kazzman

kazzman

I got a fever...

• Members *
  • 6263 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 01:07 AM

After I get my new kit, I'm getting DW 9000 double pedals...

#53 Stickman

Stickman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:Drumming,Rush,Van Halen(Roth era) and Iron Maiden.

Posted 31 December 2004 - 04:39 PM

Has anyone used the Evans EQ resonance gate pillow,i just put one in my bass drum being a 24" it's a total pain to get a good sound from but havent yet had a chance to try it out.
What are you thoughts on it if you have used one.

NeilFinal.gif  

#54 yyz

yyz

To make a long story short...

• Members *
  • 2384 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 02:13 AM

DW 9000 pedals..........ahh nothing like playing in the air........

#55 CygnusX-1Bk2

CygnusX-1Bk2

Certified Verbal Ass Kicker

• 3774 posts
  • Interests:Sound Design & Effects for games and picture (my main gig). Music (sometimes more than a hobby, it's paid the bills at times).
    Sound recording, which is also my job.
    Baseball.

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:37 AM

The Evans EQ pad can be easily replicated for less than the $35 they're asking for this item. It is a glorified muffler. There aren't any special materials used for it. My buddy found a $5 or $10 foam back rest that worked just as well. Ideally you shouldn't put anything inside a drum shell. Tuning can always get the best sound for any given situation, especially if you are recording. It is easier to subtract sound than add it after the source is recorded. You can always punch up a bass drum during mixdown. A bass drum muffler in a live situation can be usefull if the bass drum is sticking out too much in the overall sound.

As for pedals, I played many at the Namm show last January (and will again in a few weeks!). My favorite was a DW prototype still not yet available. After that there were the Yamaha Flying Dragons. They were smoother and lighter than any DW, Tama or Pearl pedal with a better response. I especially liked the direct drive pedals and got a double pedal version for my Gretschs, by far the best pedals I have ever owned. I had a DW 5000 DP from several years ago and they were a constant struggle but the Yamahas are quite smooth and effortless.

#56 kazzman

kazzman

I got a fever...

• Members *
  • 6263 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:39 AM

I'll have to look into the Yamaha ones then. Same with the DW prototype once it becomes available.

#57 Drumnut

Drumnut

Bill Gates

• Members *
  • 18341 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:42 AM

I've heard good things about Yamaha's Flying Dragon, I'll have to check that one out. yes.gif  

#58 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 3 2005, 12:37 AM)
The Evans EQ pad can be easily replicated for less than the $35 they're asking for this item. It is a glorified muffler. There aren't any special materials used for it. My buddy found a $5 or $10 foam back rest that worked just as well. Ideally you shouldn't put anything inside a drum shell. Tuning can always get the best sound for any given situation, especially if you are recording. It is easier to subtract sound than add it after the source is recorded. You can always punch up a bass drum during mixdown. A bass drum muffler in a live situation can be usefull if the bass drum is sticking out too much in the overall sound.

As for pedals, I played many at the Namm show last January (and will again in a few weeks!). My favorite was a DW prototype still not yet available. After that there were the Yamaha Flying Dragons. They were smoother and lighter than any DW, Tama or Pearl pedal with a better response. I especially liked the direct drive pedals and got a double pedal version for my Gretschs, by far the best pedals I have ever owned. I had a DW 5000 DP from several years ago and they were a constant struggle but the Yamahas are quite smooth and effortless.

My problem is.... money.  I'm not shelling out a few hundred dollars for new pedals.  I don't think my mortage company would understand my lack of paying them instead.   laugh.gif

My own fault for not researching better when I bought the Iron Cobras.  "A constant struggle" is a perfect way to describe my experience with owning them.  So... putting other pedals off the table - what do you think my best course of action should be to make the best with what I've got?  

#59 Stickman

Stickman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:Drumming,Rush,Van Halen(Roth era) and Iron Maiden.

Posted 03 January 2005 - 02:37 PM

Like i said in my previous post my bass drum is a beast at 24" and i have used Premiers own matched play skins to eliminate having anything inside and it's still a pain to tune.
Im going to try slacking the kick side and tighten the front to see if this helps,i went for an Evans gate system becasue a drummer on another Rush forum suggested it and thought i would give it a try out.

Any tips/hints on tunning would be appreciated.

2.gif  

#60 launchpad67a

launchpad67a

Armchair rocket scientist graffiti existentialist

• 4189 posts
  • Interests:Professional musician, web designer, sound engineer, studio owner, licensed pyrotechnician.
    I am also an avid golfer, drinker and smoker.

Posted 03 January 2005 - 05:09 PM

Here are a few decent articles on bass drum tuning:
Article1
Article2
Article3

There are thousands of articles out there, all saying about the same thing. It's all a matter of practice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users