I'm almost done with seeing Rush

jacob's ladder

Before I get flamed, let me just lay out some facts. Rush is my favourite band & probably always will be. But these ticket prices are absolutely out of control. For instance, I live near NYC & I am particular about seating when I go to concerts, so if I was to attend the MSG concert in April it would be-

$200 per tix

$25 train ride

$0 for cab , I'd walk from GCS

$20 for beer at the garden (hey I don't make these prices!!!)

$10 random food

Grand total- $255 bucks. Granted, this is a low estimate, as I would no doubt encounter more charges along the way. Who the hell can afford this???

I have to agree. The price is what is keeping me from this leg. I spent near to $400.00 with tickets, ride, food, and the such for this summer's concerts. The first time I saw them in 86, I spent around $12.00 for the ticket and about a fiver for food (I was 15-no beer for me then). I wish my salary jumped like these ticket prices. I do not begrudge the boys for trying to make a buck. They need to take advantage of the market. Unfortunately, I will wait for the next tour and probably sit in the back.

I agree the prices are outrageous this time around. I also think the timing is bad with people having to spend disposable income on Christmas gifts and such. I wish they had waited until after Christmas to put tix on sale. I'm gonna have to wait until first of the year to get mine.

QUOTE (jacob's ladder @ Dec 9 2010, 10:34 PM)
Before I get flamed, let me just lay out some facts. Rush is my favourite band & probably always will be. But these ticket prices are absolutely out of control. For instance, I live near NYC & I am particular about seating when I go to concerts, so if I was to attend the MSG concert in April it would be-

$200 per tix

$25 train ride

$10 random food

Grand total- $255 bucks. Granted, this is a low estimate, as I would no doubt encounter more charges along the way. Who the hell can afford this???

Keep in mind another reason these tickets are so expensive is because it's at MSG. Isn't everything rediculously more expensive in NYC than it would be in most other places in the country? If you can't afford the higher tickets just do what the one poster suggested about buying the cheaper ones.

Sure you'll be further away from the stage then you may like to be but at least you'll still be there 1022.gif

I agree with the timing of the sale dates being bad because of christmas though. I guess they're hoping people will get them as gifts.

The Cleveland tickets are cheap!

Tickets are priced at $45.50, $68.00 and $93.50. A $3.00 facility fee is included in the ticket price.

On Sale Date: Saturday, December 11th, 2010 at 10:00 a.m.

http://www.theqarena.com/events/rush_110415/

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Dec 10 2010, 09:21 AM)
QUOTE (jacob's ladder @ Dec 9 2010, 10:34 PM)
Before I get flamed, let me just lay out some facts.  Rush is my favourite band & probably always will be.  But these ticket prices are absolutely out of control.  For instance, I live near NYC & I am particular about seating when I go to concerts, so if I was to attend the MSG concert in April it would be-

$200 per tix

$25 train ride

$10 random food

Grand total- $255 bucks.  Granted, this is a low estimate, as I would no doubt encounter more charges along the way.  Who the hell can afford this???

Keep in mind another reason these tickets are so expensive is because it's at MSG. Isn't everything rediculously more expensive in NYC than it would be in most other places in the country? If you can't afford the higher tickets just do what the one poster suggested about buying the cheaper ones.

Sure you'll be further away from the stage then you may like to be but at least you'll still be there 1022.gif

I agree with the timing of the sale dates being bad because of christmas though. I guess they're hoping people will get them as gifts.

Yes tickets are expensive but it's 2.gif and for me it matters none to me whether or not I'm 4 rows back or on the lawn. I saw 2.gif twice in VA and FL on this TM Tour and I'll see them in March, Fort Lauderdale in 2011. I'll make it a birthday present for my self. tongue.gif I can enjoy these guys music if I'm 200 yards from them just as long as I can hear them.

It's not like these are walkway hunks they're musicians that should be heard and if you can do so on the cheap is even better. I think most peeps like to be up close (front row etc) and personal more so to boast that they were that close to the band.

Grab a lawn or nose bleed seat it's much cheaper. I usually have ALL my instant fun before the show (beer, herbal influences and food). To me a more inexpensive way to go, so once in all I have to focus on is the band the show and the wildly dressed women. Love that atmosphere and 1022.gif with 2.gif . tongue.gif

QUOTE (safetygirl2112 @ Dec 10 2010, 09:53 AM)
The Cleveland tickets are cheap! 

Tickets are priced at $45.50, $68.00 and $93.50. A $3.00 facility fee is included in the ticket price.

On Sale Date: Saturday, December 11th, 2010 at 10:00 a.m.

http://www.theqarena.com/events/rush_110415/

The Louisville show starts at $73 upper arena and goes up from there. Single ticket prices just plain suck.

Edit to add: found a lower arena ticket for $91.

Plus delivery fee of $15

Plus service fee of $18.20

Grand Total of $124.20 for one ticket...that would be the most, by far, I've ever paid to see a show.

Edited by theredtamasrule

Yeah, I remember Rush tickets were pretty cheap back in the 80s. Probably no more than 25 dollars per ticket. Why do you suppose that tickets are so expensive now?

Los Angeles is always expensive... but not just concerts. EVERYTHING is expensive here, really. I wish tickets were less, and they have priced a lot of people out of the arena, which sucks. But it's a modern reality.

This past summer we got 2nd row Balcony ($160 each) for LA and lawn ($35 each) for Irvine. For 2 of us that's $400 for two shows. It was our only real luxury this year (along with McCartney, and we got middle-priced tix for that).

I've never been in the first 10 rows at a Rush gig before, and I'd like to do this before they hang it up completely. Not thrilled with dealing with scalpers, and hopefully I won't have to.

At least with Rush you get your money's worth!!!!!!! I can't say the same for some other bands....

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 10 2010, 12:04 PM)
Yeah, I remember Rush tickets were pretty cheap back in the 80s. Probably no more than 25 dollars per ticket. Why do you suppose that tickets are so expensive now?

Rush has proven they can still get people to come out and get them to pay high ticket prices and those are the main reasons their ticket prices have skyrocketed. Everything in the entertaiment world has gone up in price though. Concert/movie tickets, video game systems and all their accessories just to name a few. So it's not just Rush who's charging higher prices, it's pretty much everywhere now.

If the fans weren't shelling out $100-$200 per ticket to see Rush then they wouldn't be asking for that much.

The Federal Reserve! doh.gif

30 years ago everything was less expensive. But these prices seem disproportional to general inflationary cost rises over time. Maybe not.

Bank Atlantic Center/South Florida Prices

$143.25 (US $129.75 Ticket + US $13.50 Fees)

$60.50 (US $49.75 Ticket + US $10.75 Fees)

I don't mind $150 per seat as long as I am within the 1st 20 rows. I would never pay $150 for a lower bowl or side seat. Ticketmaster has auctions for premium seats and I bid on (2) for the 1st leg of the Time Machine tour and won 10th row center for $220 a piece, which I didn't mind paying for. Any further back $150 is expensive for a Rush fan with bad vision like myself. As I said in another thread the Musictoday presale has been very good to me scoring front row for the 2nd leg of this tour and S&A. As for the "VIP" or "Time Machine Package" for $300+... I avoid them.

People keep complaining that the ticket prices are disproportionate to the rate of inflation.

It has nothing to do with inflation. Bands simply don't make money the way they used to. Releasing a CD doesn't cut it anymore. File sharing has removed this avenue as the main source of income for musicians these days. In order to make up for it, they charge higher fees for other things like concerts, apparel, etc...

And, they do it because we keep paying.

Not everyone can afford to go to the concerts. It's unfortunate, but that's just the way it is these days.

Edited by Natch

Well, at the least I will be missing the initial ticket sales, thanks to the fact that the furnace AND the dryer broke in the same week!

So there went my ticket $$$. (If the furnace had broken in, say, late March, I'd have said, "screw it, it can wait until November!")

We're all almost done with seeing Rush, because they're almost done TOURING!

This isn't 1980 anymore, get over it. Try going to see another band and see if their prices are cheaper. Like Madonna at $400, or whatever.... All concerts (Roger Waters, etc) people around me have seen have been the same price as Rush. We went to see Paul McCartney for a lot more than Rush last August, but it was a must and probably the only chance to see him before he stops touring. They are touring NOW. Be grateful they are touring, because in 10 years you'll be sitting in front of the TV watching DVD's of them for the rest of your life. wink.gif

2.gif