Does VANISHING POINT belong in the top 10 best

H. P. L.

Vanishing Point firmly belongs in the top 10 best movies ever  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Vanishing Point firmly belongs in the top 10 best movies ever

• 1. Oh yeah
    • 2. Yes, and if Lemmy played the guitar at the Rev meeting instead of Delaney and Bonnie, it would be number 1
    • 3. It doesn't feature any prog? No. I LOVE YOU MAN is the best!
    • 4. The remake with Viggo was better
    • 5. Ford Mustang blows Dodge Challenger every time so BULLIT rules and VP is for wussies!
    • 6. I don't watch movies, I only watch Transatlantic dvds

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Dec 6 2010, 01:28 PM)
Definitely in my Top 10! I remember seeing in the theater as a kid with Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry.

laugh.gif I did too man! Saw it at the Drive-In though with DM & CL. I need to watch this movie again sometime. Been to damn long, and I couldn't really relate to it that well as a kid when I saw it. One of the definitions of a vanishing point, from a road perspective...

Vanishing points can also refer to the point in the distance where the two verges of a road appear to converge. This is often used to help assess the upcoming curves in the road; to judge the radius and therefore the entry speed and optimum line. If the vanishing point moves towards you or to your sides, the curve is tightening. If the vanishing point moves away from you or comes to center, the curve is straightening.

The plot, from IMDB...

Kowalski works for a car delivery service. He takes delivery of a 1970 Dodge Challenger to take from Colorado to San Fransisco, California. Shortly after pickup, he takes a bet to get the car there in less than 15 hours. After a few run-ins with motorcycle cops and highway patrol they start a chase to bring him into custody. Along the way, Kowalski is guided by Supersoul - a blind DJ with a police radio scanner. Throw in lots of chase scenes, gay hitchhikers, a naked woman riding a motorbike, lots of Mopar and you've got a great cult hit from the early 70's.

http://www.jdmfilmreviews.com/images/vanishing-point-dvd1.jpg

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Dec 7 2010, 01:25 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Dec 6 2010, 01:28 PM)
Definitely in my Top 10! I remember seeing in the theater as a kid with Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry.

laugh.gif I did too man! Saw it at the Drive-In though with DM & CL. I need to watch this movie again sometime. Been to damn long, and I couldn't really relate to it that well as a kid when I saw it. One of the definitions of a vanishing point, from a road perspective...

Vanishing points can also refer to the point in the distance where the two verges of a road appear to converge. This is often used to help assess the upcoming curves in the road; to judge the radius and therefore the entry speed and optimum line. If the vanishing point moves towards you or to your sides, the curve is tightening. If the vanishing point moves away from you or comes to center, the curve is straightening.

The plot, from IMDB...

Kowalski works for a car delivery service. He takes delivery of a 1970 Dodge Challenger to take from Colorado to San Fransisco, California. Shortly after pickup, he takes a bet to get the car there in less than 15 hours. After a few run-ins with motorcycle cops and highway patrol they start a chase to bring him into custody. Along the way, Kowalski is guided by Supersoul - a blind DJ with a police radio scanner. Throw in lots of chase scenes, gay hitchhikers, a naked woman riding a motorbike, lots of Mopar and you've got a great cult hit from the early 70's.

http://www.jdmfilmreviews.com/images/vanishing-point-dvd1.jpg

That's a cool poster!

cool.gif

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Dec 7 2010, 02:04 AM)
The original poster is even better!

http://www.impawards.com/1971/posters/vanishing_point.jpg

the Japanese poster is pretty cool 1022.gif

http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/newsite/movies/1970s/1971/reg/vanishingPoint_JapB2.jpg

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Dec 19 2010, 10:14 AM)
I love the hitchhiker scene: "I bet you think we're QUEERS, don't you!"

"you're so quiet... and moody"

Edited by Rushman14

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Dec 20 2010, 04:14 PM)
this is a cool screenshot.

http://www.grouchoreviews.com/content/films/3361/2.jpg

Good one. trink39.gif

Here's a couple more...

Mopar madness...

http://www.moviejunkie.org/covers/1349614.jpg

Cleavon Little as Super Soul, the blind DJ...

http://www.moviejunkie.org/covers/1349604.jpg

One of my all-time favorite movies. I had one of those cars. A 1973 with an earlier 383 transplanted in it. And yes, the car they wrecked is not the Challenger. It's an early Camaro, a '67 or '68. I love '70's car chase movies.

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Dec 25 2010, 08:01 PM)
One of my all-time favorite movies.  I had one of those cars.  A 1973 with an earlier 383 transplanted in it.  And yes, the car they wrecked is not the Challenger.  It's an early Camaro, a '67 or '68.  I love '70's car chase movies.

Oz dude, could this be you doing a burnout and then topping that baby out at 140 mph on the Autobahn? tongue.gif laugh.gif

Smokin'

Haulin'

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 29 2010, 01:28 PM)
There is a chance I'd put it in my top ten...

... if I'd ever seen it. confused13.gif

You won't like it mate, it was mae before 1987, which is the year when a traumatic thing happened to you and all music made before 1987 and all movies made after 1987 never again appealed to you!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 29 2010, 01:05 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 29 2010, 01:28 PM)
There is a chance I'd put it in my top ten...

... if I'd ever seen it. confused13.gif

You won't like it mate, it was mae before 1987, which is the year when a traumatic thing happened to you and all music made before 1987 and all movies made after 1987 never again appealed to you!

tongue.gif

laugh.gif

hmmm, the only time i've ever really used the 1987 date is that i think most of rush's greatest music is from 1974-1987.

as long as the movie wasn't made before 1970, there's a good chance I'll like it. I tend not to be a big fan of older movies pre-70's as they just generally (with exception) feel kind of dated to me, unlike with music where the 60's and the 70's (with exception) is my realm. i do love modern movies... smile.gif

Edited by rushgoober

I watch a version of it annually most times the original. Yeah owning 5 Dodge Challengers during my lifetime probably has something to do with it. I like the remake but the original is so good one need not be a Mopar fan to enjoy it. The original has the great Anti-Hero and is a real slice of Hippie Americana.
  • Like 1