Which Rush song?

invisibleairwaves

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Apr 22 2005, 05:05 PM)
I have a school assignment to pick a piece of poetry and do an analysis and presentation on it. I was thinking of doing 2112 or The Camera Eye, because Neil has some amazing poetry in his lyrics. Any other RUSH songs that would work well?

Phwhoa, where does one begin?

The Trees is the first "poem" that comes to mind. There's lots to say about it as far as poetic devices go. You've got metaphor, rhyme and meter, personification, and a few other techniques whose terminology I've managed to forget already.

You mentioned "The Camera Eye," and indeed there is a wealth of imagery to work with there. You might also consider "Witch Hunt" and "Vital Signs." From Signals you've got "The Weapon" which is a good one. Hold Your Fire's a great album to examine - pretty much all the middle songs'll yield interesting results as far as poetic analysis goes.

Good luck.

2.gif

[Edited for grammar.]

I have a school assignment to pick a piece of poetry and do an analysis and presentation on it. I was thinking of doing 2112 or The Camera Eye, because Neil has some amazing poetry in his lyrics. Any other RUSH songs that would work well?

Xanadu!!

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/stc/Coleridg...Kubla_Khan.html

Screw Shakespear, whoever wrote the basis for Xanadu deserves a silver statue next to the 5,000,000 ft tall gold and platinum statues of Geddy, Alex, and Neil tongue.gif.

So it sounds like something from Moving Pictures would be good. I can't choose which one, so I think I'll go with...

YYZ! tongue.gif

There are some anti- 2.gif people in my English class so I doubt they would appreciate The Trees...

"You picked a poem where trees kill each other? Lame."

They are so ignorant. fing.gif My teacher will probably ask me to play the song, and I lack Signals on CD ohmy.gif Also, those ignorant people hate Ged's voice (them= fing.gif ) so something with less "harsh" vocals would be nice.

QUOTE (rkd @ Apr 22 2005, 03:44 PM)

Xanadu!!

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/stc/Coleridg...Kubla_Khan.html

Screw Shakespear, whoever wrote the basis for Xanadu deserves a silver statue next to the 5,000,000 ft tall gold and platinum statues of Geddy, Alex, and Neil tongue.gif.

If he did Xanadu, some teacher with a bit of poetry knowledge would think that he is copying Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem of "Kubla Khan", as it is the poem that Xanadu is based off of.

As for poems, use The Pass.

Xanadu, but if you have Alex's solo album Victor, the title cut is a sweet poem, with music over top of it

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Apr 24 2005, 07:00 AM)
Why don't you just write all the songs out on pieces of paper, oput them in a hat and draw one out. I'm sure you'll get something useful

Except for the first album of course laugh.gif tongue.gif

"Hey now, baby,

well, I like your smile

Won't you come and talk to me.

For a little while."

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Apr 24 2005, 10:33 AM)
Why don't you just write all the songs out on pieces of paper, oput them in a hat and draw one out.  I'm sure you'll get something useful

"Hey now, baby,

well, I like your smile

For a little while."

rofl3.gif

The way college professors dissect poetry these days, even that could be interpreted as some deep, meaningful expression. Read it over five or six times and all sorts of subtle links between lines and words will materialize.

Postmodernism... 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Apr 24 2005, 03:33 PM)
Why don't you just write all the songs out on pieces of paper, oput them in a hat and draw one out.  I'm sure you'll get something useful

"Hey now, baby,

well, I like your smile

For a little while."

rofl3.gif

I'm not so sure - I think some sort of working class thesis could be gleaned from Working Man

Good luck on your project!

In high school, I took the lyrics to Mission and my teacher really liked it.

I'm now graduating with an English degree in May and know all about "over-interpretation", lol.

It also made me realize even more how amazing Neil is as a writer. applaudit.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Apr 24 2005, 02:56 PM)
Good luck on your project!

In high school, I took the lyrics to Mission and my teacher really liked it.

I'm now graduating with an English degree in May and know all about "over-interpretation", lol.

It also made me realize even more how amazing Neil is as a writer. applaudit.gif

A fellow English major? new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived