Starman logo mistaken for pentagram so much.

Mustard Death

I have a Rush shirt that has the Starman logo and says "Tour 1976" at the bottom, and Rush at the top. And every time I go somewhere wearing that shirt I have at least a few people come up to me and ask me why I am wearing a pentagram. I usually respond by drawing them a correct pentagram and telling them that what I am wearing is just the harmless logo of my favourite band. Sometimes they dont believe me.

My mother (Who is a Christian Southern Baptist) also recently questioned me about the "Sign of Satan" on the shirt. Once again I told her a pentagram has crossing lines, and drew her one. She just said "I'll look into that later"...

It gets really tiring when nobody I know has heard of the band, so instead of saying something about them they just question me about being satanic or something. Sometimes I say "Yes, I do worship Satan daily. While listening to three Canadian men play incredible Prog music." Nobody even knows what Prog is.

Does this happen to anyone else?

NONSENSE!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/pinkfloyd1973/11pentagram.png

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/pinkfloyd1973/142-00120.jpg

It does not happen to me, but I've hear the nonsense.

A pentagram does have "intersecting lines" and is traditionally displayed upside down. But honestly, it's still a "star".

I am a christian, I wear my 2112 t-shirt proudly everywhere.

Other peoples ignorance should not be a reason for someone elses doubt or shame.

QUOTE (pinkfloyd1973 @ Apr 22 2005, 09:41 AM)

yes.gif trink39.gif

• Like 1

Why should people even question it??? It's none of their business, what you wear, or what you worship. Just tell them that. I am also a christian, and I consider it none of my business what other people do, or wear. People can be so judgemental, the ignorant idiots... laugh.gif

*just kidding btw, i was pretending to be a judgemental person that thinks she is not judgemental* tongue.gif

• Like 1

Although I have gotten a few compliements from adults that I had a "nice shirt" and such. So I guess fans of the band know better, but like I said in a different topic, I only know two or so people that enjoy Rush. And its sad, but I have walked into a room and the first thing I get is "Is that a pentagram?".

I still proudly wear the shirt, and would not stop wearing it for anyone.

QUOTE (pinkfloyd1973 @ Apr 22 2005, 10:41 AM)
NONSENSE!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/pinkfloyd1973/11pentagram.png

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/pinkfloyd1973/142-00120.jpg

It does not happen to me, but I've hear the nonsense.
A pentagram does have "intersecting lines" and is traditionally displayed upside down. But honestly, it's still a "star".

Other peoples ignorance should not be a reason for someone elses doubt or shame.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Apr 22 2005, 10:14 AM)
I have a Rush shirt that has the Starman logo and says "Tour 1976" at the bottom, and Rush at the top. And every time I go somewhere wearing that shirt I have at least a few people come up to me and ask me why I am wearing a pentagram. I usually respond by drawing them a correct pentagram and telling them that what I am wearing is just the harmless logo of my favourite band. Sometimes they dont believe me.

My mother (Who is a Christian Southern Baptist) also recently questioned me about the "Sign of Satan" on the shirt. Once again I told her a pentagram has crossing lines, and drew her one. She just said "I'll look into that later"...

It gets really tiring when nobody I know has heard of the band, so instead of saying something about them they just question me about being satanic or something. Sometimes I say "Yes, I do worship Satan daily. While listening to three Canadian men play incredible Prog music." Nobody even knows what Prog is.

Great post. Thanks for bringing it up. I've heard the same kind of complaints but, as everyone can see the "starman" is different from the sign of satan.

I remember wearing my 2112 shirt (cover of 2112, no starman) to a ballet once, all the girls I knew there who hadnt seen me in like 3 years saw this guy with long hair and a supposed pentagram on his shirt. I bet they all thought I turned goth or something.

icon_really_happy_guy.gif http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/1204.gifhttp://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/1404.gifhttp://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/552.gifhttp://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/942.gif

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Apr 22 2005, 10:14 AM)

I can see your irritation with the way it is asked... They automaticly conclude the emblem is satanic. They dont even ask if it is... I feel for ya ! but hey You know better. like they say opinions are like As*%#oles! everyones got one no matter how ignorant it is!

DrumDragon

hell it happened to me today

I was drawing a stick figure starman and star on the board for fun, and this girl i know came up to me and was like. Why are you drawing a pentacle on the board.(notice how she said pentacle) and I said "It's not a pentacle, you wouldn't understand." and she said " I find that offensive" blah blah blah. She thinks she's a witch or something because she felt it was offensive, not to her religion, but to her magical practice or something. and at the point i just gave up and let her rant because i hate to deal with ignorant people.

She is the weirdest person i know, she think's shes a witch i swear. I was goin to say how its nothing even close to what she thought it was, but she wouldn't listen. She thought she knew more about it than me because she practices witchcraft or something, god i hate her.

It is sad to know that some people are so ignorant as to call The Star Man a pentagram. I've had it happen to me a few times, but none of them astonishing as the stories told in this thread. I explain it to them, but they don't understand, they might sometimes, but most of they time, they don't. It's unfortunate that some people actually take offense to something as small as The Star Man.

Well, I guess that ignorance will continue to be bliss for the masses.

Even though I am a devout Evangelical Christian, I have been a Rush fan for many years and it does not conflict with my spiritual values. There are many who would argue that with me, but I refuse to waste my time arguing with ignorance. I even remember reading an article once, and sorry but I don't remember the source, that a pentagram was actually an early Christian symbol, with each point of the star representing the number of times Jesus was pierced when he was crucified. The story said that it was only much later that the pentagram was inverted and used by satanists. I have no idea if its true, but if it is, maybe some Christians should be wearing pentagrams or putting little stickers of them on their car bumpers!

QUOTE (Spacemanspiff62 @ Apr 22 2005, 11:09 PM)
I even remember reading an article once, and sorry but I don't remember the source, that a pentagram was actually an early Christian symbol, with each point of the star representing the number of times Jesus was pierced when he was crucified. The story said that it was only much later that the pentagram was inverted and used by satanists.

Damn - I'd better get rid of my pentacle then biggrin.gif

i've heard the pentagram star/satanic thing before too, when i was wearing my 2112 shirt. I countered with "So do you consider the flag a symbol of Satan? it has 50 little pentagrams on it."

that ended it.

I hate when people don't understand that it's the classical represenation of man and a star. they think it's either satanic or homosexual.

• Like 1

QUOTE (pinkfloyd1973 @ Apr 22 2005, 07:41 AM)

Indeed!

I also!