• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#41 phantomfears

phantomfears

The Seeker

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (The Main Monkey Business @ Nov 23 2010, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (irish_matt @ Nov 23 2010, 03:29 PM)
QUOTE (The Main Monkey Business @ Nov 23 2010, 10:15 AM)
I really can't understand people who say that £80 is ridicuous, its not, especially when you consider what you spend on a night out for example.

I appreciate that people are on a tighter budget with the economy the way it is and with xmas coming up, but if you love Rush enough you will find away to fund it.

And in all honesty, with all the publicity they've been getting and how much the fan base has grown these last 3 years it was inevitable that prices were going to rise, basic supply and demand.

Just rejoice in the fact that they are coming to Europe† 2.gif

exactly!  Instead of complaining, forgo a few nights at the pub and enjoy a Rush concert... it might be your last.  With the new album not due to drop till 2012 they may not tour as extensively as this tour.  They might not hit Europe at all.

Another increased cost is the production.  This tour goes way beyond anything they have done before.

Also, due to cancelled tours by artists world wide, don't you think TicketMaster is bumping their costs to ensure their profits?

exactly, it is literally a case of cutting down on a few other things to accomodate.

Oh and with regards to you questionning the fan base growth? with them being in I love you Man, the documentary, more TV and and radio appearances, a full page on the tour in the UK best selling newspaper! There was bound to be way more demand for tickets this tour.

When was the full page ad? Which paper was it in The Sun?

Sponsored Post

#42 Jean Simmons

Jean Simmons

The Seeker

• Banned
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (The Main Monkey Business @ Nov 23 2010, 10:35 AM)
QUOTE (irish_matt @ Nov 23 2010, 03:29 PM)
I really can't understand people who say that £80 is ridicuous, its not, especially when you consider what you spend on a night out for example.

I appreciate that people are on a tighter budget with the economy the way it is and with xmas coming up, but if you love Rush enough you will find away to fund it.

And in all honesty, with all the publicity they've been getting and how much the fan base has grown these last 3 years it was inevitable that prices were going to rise, basic supply and demand.

Just rejoice in the fact that they are coming to Europe† 2.gif

exactly!  Instead of complaining, forgo a few nights at the pub and enjoy a Rush concert... it might be your last.  With the new album not due to drop till 2012 they may not tour as extensively as this tour.  They might not hit Europe at all.

Another increased cost is the production.  This tour goes way beyond anything they have done before.

Also, due to cancelled tours by artists world wide, don't you think TicketMaster is bumping their costs to ensure their profits?

exactly, it is literally a case of cutting down on a few other things to accomodate.

Oh and with regards to you questionning the fan base growth? with them being in I love you Man, the documentary, more TV and and radio appearances, a full page on the tour in the UK best selling newspaper! There was bound to be way more demand for tickets this tour.

I seriously doubt being in "I love you Man" has done anything for Rush, I don't know anybody who's seen it.
The Rush documentary, let's think, I'm 48 and when I went to see it I was probably the youngest in the Cinema.
A full page in the UK's best selling Newspaper? What Newspaper it was the Sun!!! The only was that could get a Sun reader out to see them was if Alex got his norks out and put Geddy's wig on.

And even even if there was an increased demand those ticket prices would negate it anyway. There's enough evidence on this site alone that hardened fans are either cutting back on the shows they go and see or not going at all.

#43 spro

spro

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:45 AM

just took me over an hour to get my 2 tickets nearly all gone but i got em  biggrin.gif  

#44 irish_matt

irish_matt

The Seeker

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (Jean Simmons @ Nov 23 2010, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (irish_matt @ Nov 23 2010, 10:29 AM)
Another increased cost is the production.  This tour goes way beyond anything they have done before.

In what way does this tour go "way" betond anything they have done before. It looks extremely similar to the tour before, and the tour before that and.....

If Iron Maiden can flog tickets at £38.50 a time why do Rush need to charge up to double that? There are SIX members of Maiden too, and there manager is a tight as a gnat's chuff Yorkshireman too, you'd expect him to be out a-fleecing.

Don't try and defend the indefensible.

Personally speaking of course.. I believe this production is better than any Rush show that I've seen, better lighting and sound than S&A and R30 and any of the tours before that, that I saw (83,92,94)...

As regards comparing the ticket prices to Iron Maiden, it's supply and demand.  Iron Maiden have been constantly touring for years without much of a break.  Plus their production originates in the UK... no extra shipping costs.  If you don't want to see them this year, they'll be around later next year etc etc.  

Rush, however are now set in an every 2-3 year touring cycle.  In the UK, if you don't want to see them in 2011, it might be 2013 before they come back... if ever.

#45 Digital Man

Digital Man

He's got a force field and a flexible plan...

• 8407 posts
  • Interests:My Beautiful Fiancee Sundog, all our kids, RUSH, cigars, beer, Tequila, RUSH, bbqing, snow skiing

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:52 AM

Ticket prices are definitely going up.  The £80 is the equivalent of about $126 which is what we paid for out Time Machine tickets, so you are paying about the same as we are here.

#46 AJ71

AJ71

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

Just rejoice in the fact that they are coming to Europe  2.gif

I can't believe anyone is trying to defend the ticket price as not being expensive .. COME OFF IT!.

Last year AC/DC played their first UK dates in nearly 8 years. They are possibly along with the Stones and U2 the biggest live act out there today. How much did they charge ?, Not as much as Rush that how much!, and they're a far, far bigger band.

It's just greed. It doesnt matter if its your favourite band or not, the facts are the facts. GREED is what it is.

It doesnt make you some sort of 'lesser fan' for saying it like it is.

#47 Jean Simmons

Jean Simmons

The Seeker

• Banned
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (irish_matt @ Nov 23 2010, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE (Jean Simmons @ Nov 23 2010, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (irish_matt @ Nov 23 2010, 10:29 AM)
Another increased cost is the production.† This tour goes way beyond anything they have done before.

In what way does this tour go "way" betond anything they have done before. It looks extremely similar to the tour before, and the tour before that and.....

If Iron Maiden can flog tickets at £38.50 a time why do Rush need to charge up to double that? There are SIX members of Maiden too, and there manager is a tight as a gnat's chuff Yorkshireman too, you'd expect him to be out a-fleecing.

Don't try and defend the indefensible.

Personally speaking of course.. I believe this production is better than any Rush show that I've seen, better lighting and sound than S&A and R30 and any of the tours before that, that I saw (83,92,94)...

As regards comparing the ticket prices to Iron Maiden, it's supply and demand.  Iron Maiden have been constantly touring for years without much of a break.  Plus their production originates in the UK... no extra shipping costs.  If you don't want to see them this year, they'll be around later next year etc etc.  

Rush, however are now set in an every 2-3 year touring cycle.  In the UK, if you don't want to see them in 2011, it might be 2013 before they come back... if ever.

But then again most of Rush's sound and light equipment will be sourced here in the UK. Th eonly things to be shipped over will be their instruments and maybe bits of the stage set, so there won't be much cost over and above Maiden. Maiden are also a much bigger name over here, normnally the bigger the name the higher the ticket price. Rush are charging up to what Rog Waters is charging for the wall, and think of his production costs.

You may think it's good value, but I don't - especially as friends of mine who've been Rush fans for 30+ years will not be attending this year due to the cost.

#48 spro

spro

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 3 posts

i paid £120  two tickets for  2.gif  and £150  three tickets for Iron Maiden both at the 02 next year.
tickets at wembley in 2007 were £35 and i got upgraded to the front row.

#49 irish_matt

irish_matt

The Seeker

• Members
  • 119 posts

I hear the set list sucks.... nobody should go see this tour... save your money....

#50 phantomfears

phantomfears

The Seeker

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (irish_matt @ Nov 23 2010, 04:01 PM)
I hear the set list sucks.... nobody should go see this tour... save your money....

The set list sucks??? Have you seen what they are playing? If you like classic Rush including music from that time this has to be the best set list in ages. Fair enough the 30th Anniversary tour set list was fabulous too but this set seriously rocks!!!

#51 The Main Monkey Business

The Main Monkey Business

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 857 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ Nov 23 2010, 03:39 PM)
It IS an extortionate price but y'know what, f**k it. I don't know how much longer i'm going to get the opportunity to see these guys, so I was resigned to paying the £75 (x6 ugh). I shall have a bloody brilliant time and meet lots of good Rush folks I've never met before. THAT is priceless.

spot on Foxxi, great work doing 6 shows, I'm hitting 3  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Memories are priceless, and I'm not going to risk never getting the chance to see them again for the sake of a high ticket price

#52 AJ71

AJ71

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:08 AM

I'm pretty sure that was a healthy dose of sarcasm phantom

#53 irish_matt

irish_matt

The Seeker

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (phantomfears @ Nov 23 2010, 11:05 AM)

The set list sucks??? Have you seen what they are playing? If you like classic Rush including music from that time this has to be the best set list in ages. Fair enough the 30th Anniversary tour set list was fabulous too but this set seriously rocks!!!

..... sarcasm is lost on the internet.

Every second of this show was amazing.  Saw it in St.Louis in August.  

#54 Jean Simmons

Jean Simmons

The Seeker

• Banned
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (irish_matt @ Nov 23 2010, 11:01 AM)

Doesn't exactly suck, but it could be an awful lot better  tongue.gif  

#55 phantomfears

phantomfears

The Seeker

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (irish_matt @ Nov 23 2010, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (phantomfears @ Nov 23 2010, 11:05 AM)

..... sarcasm is lost on the internet.

Every second of this show was amazing.  Saw it in St.Louis in August.

Ah fair enough  trink39.gif . Sarcasm isn't quite the same when typed then lol tongue.gif  

#56 FoxxiStarr

FoxxiStarr

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1316 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (The Main Monkey Business @ Nov 23 2010, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ Nov 23 2010, 03:39 PM)
It IS an extortionate price but y'know what, f**k it. I don't know how much longer i'm going to get the opportunity to see these guys, so I was resigned to paying the £75 (x6 ugh). I shall have a bloody brilliant time and meet lots of good Rush folks I've never met before. THAT is priceless.

spot on Foxxi, great work doing 6 shows, I'm hitting 3  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Memories are priceless, and I'm not going to risk never getting the chance to see them again for the sake of a high ticket price

I'm not that flush - although had I not been working I would have done more dates. Going to Glasgow and Newcastle

#57 moidoid

moidoid

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:21 AM

I was going to get six tickets for friends and family for our traditional pilgrimage but when I saw those prices I decided not to. I've been to every tour since Moving Pictures & I love Rush dearly, but I think that I will have to cope with not going this time.

I guess they can charge what they like but I'm not paying £85 a ticket. I'll look forward to seats near the stage at Maiden for £45 this year. I wonder what justifies the £40 price hike?  

#58 iluvgeddy05

iluvgeddy05

Dances With Torn Sweater

• Members
  • 9518 posts
  • Interests:running, shopping, wine and good beer, good friends.

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:57 AM

That sucks that all the European fans feel they are being ripped off.  I understand money is short nowdays and even making one show is a challenge but seeing that Rush does not tour Europe often -- and only seems to hit big cities when they do, choices must be made...  I'm just thinking if I were in their shoes, I would forgo a few other luxeries for a while (lunch out, a new pair of shoes, etc.) to see them yes.gif

#59 FoxxiStarr

FoxxiStarr

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1316 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Nov 23 2010, 04:57 PM)
That sucks that all the European fans feel they are being ripped off.  I understand money is short nowdays and even making one show is a challenge but seeing that Rush does not tour Europe often -- and only seems to hit big cities when they do, choices must be made...  I'm just thinking if I were in their shoes, I would forgo a few other luxeries for a while (lunch out, a new pair of shoes, etc.) to see them yes.gif

Yup I agree. I would much rather do without some things than miss seeing the band I've followed since 1976. I respect everyones opinion though. It's a pity. These gigs will be awesome

#60 tontonfranck

tontonfranck

The Seeker

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ Nov 23 2010, 06:11 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Nov 23 2010, 04:57 PM)
That sucks that all the European fans feel they are being ripped off.  I understand money is short nowdays and even making one show is a challenge but seeing that Rush does not tour Europe often -- and only seems to hit big cities when they do, choices must be made...  I'm just thinking if I were in their shoes, I would forgo a few other luxeries for a while (lunch out, a new pair of shoes, etc.) to see them yes.gif

Yup I agree. I would much rather do without some things than miss seeing the band I've followed since 1976. I respect everyones opinion though. It's a pity. These gigs will be awesome

Of course I agree but I just can't spend that money for a ticket, a plane, an hotel and all the stuff.

I now wait for a Belgian or Dutch show to imagine a car trip with some friends...  1022.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users