Ayn Rand

Riv

I read Anthem after I heard that Neil used it as his inspiration for 2112. It's a really good read. Took me awhile to understand what the heck was going on though. What about those Red Star books by Dennis J. Barton, are they worth reading?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Feb 6 2006, 03:47 PM)
I read Anthem after I heard that Neil used it as his inspiration for 2112. It's a really good read. Took me awhile to understand what the heck was going on though. What about those Red Star books by Dennis J. Barton, are they worth reading?

Not sure about the RED STAR books but I do want to get ANTHEM so that I can fully understand all about the goings on in 2112 I have heard it was A SUPER READ.

I've read Fountainhead and Anthem. I liked Fountainhead- it was very thought-provoking, and I love anything that will stretch my brain like that.

I read Anthem second. It was kind of disappointing after Fountainhead- actually it felt very much like an extremely simplifed version of that book. Almost like a children's version, if you will. wink.gif

Now after seeing what you all have said about it, I want to read Atlas Shrugged. smile.gif

QUOTE (Riv @ Feb 5 2006, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 20 2004, 04:59 PM)
I'm ashamed to say I've read NONE of her books.  I'm duly inspired.

So did you?

Ooops. blush4.gif

You're right, Riv, I should be held accountable. Bad GG.

QUOTE (Riv @ Feb 5 2006, 01:10 PM)
QUOTE (thestand @ Feb 5 2006, 08:03 PM)
I'm in the middle of writing a research paper on her. Thesis question, "Could Rand's philosophy be applied to today's society?"

Absolutely it could.

Post your paper when it's done.

Should be finished within the night. It's sadly a research paper, so there's not much room for personalization. I went with a for/against format, instead of all for. I thought opposing viewpoints would illustrate the ideas better.

I don't know, if this is good enough it may end up being sent in with my writing portfolio for college applications. Fingers crossed yes.gif.

Anybody read The Virtue of Selfishness? That's another very good one yes.gif But I've also read We the Living and Anthem, and I've got The Fountainhead just sitting on the shelf waiting for me to pick it up!

I love Ayn Rand's writing, Anthem and Atlas Shrugged are 2 of my all time favorite books. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a film version made of Atlas Shrugged back not long after it was written? I seem to remember reading something about it...or maybe just thinking of the Fountainhead, which is another example of great book making horrible translation to the screen.....

Wow, I had been thinking about ad Ayn Rand thread since I joined this forum!! laugh.gif

Atlas Shrugged is very important to me, it certainly has helped me define my values as a person and as a professional.

Also is a BIG story. Maximum systems here. A portrait of world society. WOW. And economics. Wow. And there's sex, too!!

And Mrs. Rand pulls it off, mostly. Crossing over to science-fiction when she has to.

But trying to be objective here, at 3/4 of its lenght it crumbles IMHO. Until then it's perfect, but when the mystery starts to unfold, it stalls and becomes quite a self-parody.

The final scene, with all the main characters going to the rescue, looks like a parody of a Bruce Willis movie, 40 years before Bruce Willis movies were even made.

Anyway there are great ideas, great characters, great situations. I certainly recommend it.

You could say that Fountainhead, written before and loosely inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright, is a sort of Atlas Shrigged limited to the field of art. It has the same structure and the same types of characters.

Oh, and the movie was written by Ayn herself, who was a Hollywood screenwriter. Many say, that's why it came out bad. Cooper wasn't comfortable with the long speech, but she wouldn't edit it down...

http://www.superlounge.se/v3/06/noimg/kultur02e.jpg

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Feb 5 2006, 11:47 PM)
...after I heard that Neil used it as his inspiration for 2112.

I'm not sure "inspiration" is the word you're looking for. I think "outright plagarism" would be much more suitable. biggrin.gif

I read The Fountainhead when I was 17. Highly inspirational when you're that age. Not sure how it would affect me if I were to have read it today. Maybe I'll give it another read again sometime soon.

Considering I went to a continuation school, seeing me read The Fountainhead for fun made my English teacher wet. laugh.gif

I'm just now reading The Fountainhead, and I'm totally enjoying it! I'm only on chapter 7, but am really into it. Can't wait to read more!

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Feb 6 2006, 03:34 PM)
I've read Anthem and We the Living. WtL is my favourite book. Ever.

I'm reading The Fountainhead after I finish Tom Sawyer, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, 1984, and From the Dust Returned.

O_o

Hey, isn't that From the Dust Returned a Ray Bradbury book? I have that one too, and have yet to read it!

I just finished Atlas Shrugged. A little extreme in philosophy, Rand is, but the book was thought-provoking and interesting, and I love the detail and imagery that she weaves into her writing.

Eddie Willers and Ragnar Danneskjold were my favorite characters...so I was sad about poor Eddie at the end. sad.gif

Edited by Kudzu

Who has read, "An Introduction To Obective Epistomology", by Ayn Rand here in the Forum? A mind boggling difficult read. Interesting and functional in todays society. Has 2112 overtones.

Read Atlas Shrugged, We The Living, and The Fountainhead. Also read some of her non-fiction books. Anyone ever read her biography, The Passion Of Ayn Rand, by the way? It had been adapted into a Showtime movie but focused too much on her relationships.

I have read Anthem, the Fountainhead, We the Living, and Atlas Shrugged (in that order.) All great books!

I have read Anthem and am starting We the Living. Hopefully I can get the Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged in before the end of the summer. One thing I don't like about We the Living is historical fiction while the others are futuristic fiction.

I do like objectivism. I can see why Neil Peart is one. I am pretty much one myself just I am unsure about the metaphysical views of it. Well I am only 14 so who knows. Maybe I just don't understand it well enough.