Ayn Rand

Riv

Do you guys like her stuff? I've read them all except We The Living. Fountainhead was my favorite, but I really liked Atlas Shrugged. Does anyone notice that Atlas Shrugged gets made fun of a lot because people don't like it?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (D-13 @ Sep 16 2004, 04:02 PM)
Currently reading The Fountain Head.....and my friends like look at the book and think i'm crazy. lol.... SO far it's REALLY good and I like it alot! Mr. Roark......so super wicked! biggrin.gif

trink36.gif

I love that one. I've read it 7 or 8 times. Atlas Shrugged is too long to read again.

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Sep 16 2004, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Sep 16 2004, 04:02 PM)
Currently reading The Fountain Head.....and my friends like look at the book and think i'm crazy. lol.... SO far it's REALLY good and I like it alot! Mr. Roark......so super wicked!  biggrin.gif 

trink36.gif

I love that one. I've read it 7 or 8 times. Atlas Shrugged is too long to read again.

What is atlas shrugged about? HOLY! 7-8 times you have read The Fountain Head! woa....thats good. laugh.gif

Atlas Shrugged is my favorite. It's about what happens when all the bright, talented, motivated people go on strike.....It's a long read, maybe could have used some editing, (Miss Rand said, "What? Would you edit the Bible??") but it is fun.

We the Living is good. Has anyone read any of her non-fiction?

QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Sep 16 2004, 04:23 PM)
Atlas Shrugged is my favorite. It's about what happens when all the bright, talented, motivated people go on strike.....It's a long read, maybe could have used some editing, (Miss Rand said, "What? Would you edit the Bible??") but it is fun.

We the Living is good. Has anyone read any of her non-fiction?

Thanks for the info! I like that quote too! I'm gonna go and buy that after I read The Fountain Head! smile.gif

i had tried to read atlas shrugged many many years ago...

my dad was impressed so much he wanted to read it again when i was finished...

i never could get into it, so i just passed it over to him....

i think i may try again, i was pretty young at the time i tried, and i just had no patience for such a huge book...

i picked up the founainhead this summer at a garage sale....

i'm still trying to get thru 2 other books before i get into that one....

Edited by ladirushfan80

I've read Atlas Shrugged (twice), The Fountain Head, We The Living & Nathem. They were all good. I liked Atlas the best. It has really great ideas. As I was reading it I kept thinking "Wow, I'm not the only one who thinks this way". It really made me think. One of my favorite lines is:

There are no bad jobs, there are only bad workers.

That isn't the excat wording but it's close. She had some good ideas. The FountainHead is sort of the same story as Atlas Shrugged but it's presented in simpler terms & is a much easier read.

Atlas Shrugged is on my top 5 list of best books I have read.

Edited by Digital Man

Atlas Shrugged is the second-most-influential book of all time, a distant second to the Bible, according to a survey of 5,000 Book-of-the-Month Club members taken a decade ago for the Library of Congress. It was also named on of the most influential books in America by the Boston Public Library. A movie is being made.

"Brother you asked for it!"

I love Francisco D'Anconia!!!

smile.gif

QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Sep 17 2004, 09:59 AM)
Atlas Shrugged is the second-most-influential book of all time, a distant second to the Bible, according to a survey of 5,000 Book-of-the-Month Club members taken a decade ago for the Library of Congress. It was also named on of the most influential books in America by the Boston Public Library. A movie is being made.

smile.gif

Wow, really? Can't wait to see the movie...although I don't want to ruin my "image" of the secret place.

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Sep 17 2004, 09:03 AM)
QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Sep 17 2004, 09:59 AM)
Atlas Shrugged is the second-most-influential book of all time, a distant second to the Bible, according to a survey of 5,000 Book-of-the-Month Club members taken a decade ago for the Library of Congress. It was also  named on of the most influential books in America by the Boston Public Library.  A movie is being made.

smile.gif

Wow, really? Can't wait to see the movie...although I don't want to ruin my "image" of the secret place.

Crap, now you guys made me have to go read a book, I dont wanna be spoiled by a movie.

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Sep 17 2004, 09:03 AM)

I think the Yosemite Valley would be a good "Secret Place" with the entrances closed off.

Hopefully it will bew more like a miniseries than a movie. Can't see all the ideas getting across in 2-3 hours.

I've read Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, but personally, my favourite AR book is Anthem.

The whole "Dystopic Novel" genre is one I like a lot, with Anthem up there beside Yevgeny Zamyatin's "We", Huxley's "Brave New World", Ira Levin's "This Perfect Day", and the grandaddy of them, Orwell's "1984".

Let's hope the movie doesn't get made. Rand does not translate well at all to the big screen. Remember fountainhead? What a disaster. Most of Rands great ideas in her books come from the multiple page monologue's of the characters in the books. Huge speeches like that come off miserably in films.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Feb 5 2006, 07:40 PM)
Let's hope the movie doesn't get made. Rand does not translate well at all to the big screen. Remember fountainhead? What a disaster. Most of Rands great ideas in her books come from the multiple page monologue's of the characters in the books. Huge speeches like that come off miserably in films.

Ah, you're right. I forgot about that movie.

QUOTE (thestand @ Feb 5 2006, 08:03 PM)
I'm in the middle of writing a research paper on her. Thesis question, "Could Rand's philosophy be applied to today's society?"

Absolutely it could.

Post your paper when it's done.

I think the woman is brilliant. I haven't made it yet to The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged, but have read We the Living, Anthem, and The Virtue of Selfishness. They're all awesome cool.gif Ya know, maybe Fountainhead will be my next read...... confused13.gif